Is this the end?

+

UMA22

Forum regular
The game has been bleeding players for years now, suggesting that it has anything to do with sanctions just isn't a realistic position to take.

This is about choices the devs made within the game. I used to spend money in the game just to show support but the moment broken cards after broken cards became a constant cycle I just stopped and Uninstalled. I checked back ever expansion to see if they realized the mess they were creating and they never did so it's still Uninstalled
Players left others join, no the fallen started really this year,
I'm not saying it the only reason but it was like the coup de grace
But sure broken cards are one of the reason peoples left.
Like now, peoples complaining about tibor, instead of making Practitioner cost 6 provisions or make tibor lose his immune when there's more than 1
They reduced his cost to make it easier to play 🤷‍♂️
I'm still not beleiving is going to die it my favorite mobile game, hope something happen and make CDPR change their decision

At moment i have no clue about the devs ideas for the community-based future. Maybe it works, maybe they don‘t care that much and let the game die.

At least now there is an explanation for all these terribly broken and binary cards released this year: they wanted to reduce players grief about the end of their support.

So Gwent separate from TW3 is going to disappear? Such a shame. It feels like this game is even more beloved than TW3 and as representative of the saga as the main game. From what I've seen, it's even better than Legends of Runeterra.

So Gwent separate from TW3 is going to disappear? Such a shame. It feels like this game is even more beloved than TW3 and as representative of the saga as the main game. From what I've seen, it's even better than Legends of Runeterra.
Companies only care if things are "good" when they are starting now. Later, when they big and important, they only care if things make money.

Companies only care if things are "good" when they are starting now. Later, when they big and important, they only care if things make money.
Yeah, it happens with all artists: filmakers, writers, singers... their peak is usually the beginning. The worst thing is that Gwent had become a classic just like TW3 enough to stand on its own two feet. It deserved to have a separate version from TW3. It was also a great way to get into TW as it is free and with minimal PC specs, being a card game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I dont know how the hell are people surprised by this decision, or come now pouring posts about how much they love the game and how sad they are. It feels like they've been living under a rock all these years, and are oblivious to the constant shitshow that has been Gwent, between bugs with every patch, powercreep, bad decisions, ignoring feedback - yes there is a lot, but for a good reason, and a lot of it is constructive criticism.

I have always been a doomsayer in these forums - and probably annoyed a lot of people with this, sorry - and i constantly warned this was bound to happen with the current direction, the thousands, perhaps tens of thosaunds of players that abandoned the game due to the prevalence of toxic / braindead foolproof metadecks, without an enough number of new players to replace them (look at any Gwent player /viewership stats, they are pitiful). No game survives when most of its playerbase is so unhappy with its state :shrug:

As soon as the 2024 plan was announced during the livestream, I thought they were quite bold. They could have avoided the topic for 365 days.

perhaps tens of thosaunds of players that abandoned the game due to the prevalence of toxic / braindead foolproof metadecks, without an enough number of new players to replace them (look at any Gwent player /viewership stats, they are pitiful)
I see your point, but most of the cardgames (e.g. Heartstone, Magic Arena,...) are even worse as far as toxic metagame goes. Even in the current state, Gwent has a better meta compared to the competition. This is not the worst meta we had to endure. Homecoming's decks were on release way more uninteractive.

I think, what killed the game was the lack of content. If you develop a product within Gwent like project Golder Nekker and then you release it separately, it's not good. If you develop a draft system, which you cannot maintain, you lose content and the investment of the development.

Yes, but even with awful meta these projects still live unlike Gwent that looked like an abandoned child from the late 2021 to the end of 2022 with all the changes it had (downgrades is a better word for that).
These games live because they cater to a different, larger audience.

For me the paradox is: the best cardgame on the market will reduce its activity, while other products, which are more expensive and have a terrible meta, will continue their journey.

These games live because they cater to a different, larger audience.

For me the paradox is: the best cardgame on the market will reduce its activity, while other products, which are more expensive and have a terrible meta, will continue their journey.
Awful. Gwent gone while other, lesser stuff remains alive and kicking as if it deserved more to continue? Fuck that shit

As soon as the 2024 plan was announced during the livestream, I thought they were quite bold. They could have avoided the topic for 365 days.
(...)
It's super honest for the players but it's kinda suicidal in terms of marketing. They totally gave up but...they're still selling things in the game !
They made a lot of mistakes like that with Gwent. There's still a playerbase who wants it to live.

Well, it's nice that people have bothered to reply to my thread. Thanks to all of you that did.
I've had a day or two to reflect on the annoucement and I'm still desperately sad over this. I feel that the game had so much potential and in many ways it reached it (what other game looks and sounds as good as this?) but I get the impression that it never really had the unequivequal backing of the higher ups in CDPR; while the faces of the game (Burza, Slama, Vlad, Ryan, etc) obviously had a passion for the game the sheer lack of marketing for the game was abysmal and undermined their attempts to push the game to a wider audience. I can't watch a YouTube ad without seeing how absolutely amazing Snap is or how the latest mobile game is the best ever but I've never seen a Gwent ad...anywhere. I only caught it due to a random article in an online gaming magazine just as Beta was announced and jumped on it straight away as I loved the basic game in W3.
The passion for the game wasn't just limited to CDPR's people - the streamers that have stayed, come and gone (Spyro, Trynet, McBeard, etc), showed that there was an appetite for this game but it's been left to slowly flounder until we are where we are.
I've lost my anger towards Burza and Vlad for announcing this, as I thought I might. In essence they announced they were losing their jobs while still trying to do their jobs. That took professionalism and I respect them for it while still feeling down about the whole affair.
I suppose I could be more erudite here, I could go into the hows and whys of where I think the game failed its player base (as some of you have done above and, admittedly I have done a bit on the marketing angle) but the the fact is I'm still sad and putting it all into words would just rile me up to no real effect.
I'll just take the year we have left, try to enjoy it as much as I can and then have a little cry when I realise it's all over. Because for me, when the devs stop officially supporting it, it really is over.

It's super honest for the players but it's kinda suicidal in terms of marketing.
Nah it isn't, they waited until after they released their roadmap for witcher and Cyberpunk. So now is the right time, I'm sure they planned it that way.
They couldn't do it next year where it would impact their cyberpunk expansion or any other announcements that are certain to follow. People will have forgotten about it by the time Phantom Liberty drops.

So why are they trying to sell new stuff when they officially end their support for the game in near future? Is this some sort of "Give me some money on my way out" case? No we end the development of this game beyond 2023. But... hey gimme some money! I'll send you a postcard or something

I guess this explains why they haven't updated Draft in over a year; which was the last time I played. If it is community led, then my first vote is to change Draft back to Arena. I know that would bring many players like myself back. I could have played Arena well into the future when my brain is put into a cyborg, clone or executed prisoner. Can I get a hear, hear?!

With the announcement that post-2023 Gwent will have no new card drops and, in essence, the game moves from a developer-led structure to a fan-lead one

The card drop format this year has been toxic and it is being repeated next year. It's been geared towards people with money. I'm not sure if the people who bought the keg packs for this year's card drops individually got the same value as people who can now buy the Cursed Toad Megapack which has all of this year's card drops.

Personally I've found the constant new drops a bore and now you have these fancy new decks focused on the shiny exponential growth of units on the board. It seems that you can only really play similar decks against these. Other decks just aren't competitive and Soc decks like Harmony are useless, as are Nil decks like Spying, or Mon decks with Bleeding.

Ideally you should be able to play any deck against each other and have a 50/50 chance at being able to beat any other deck. At the moment, it's all about the exponential unit growth.

The game hasn't been well balanced in factions for years.

Top Bottom