Journalist Opinion on the Downgrade Debacle.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Journalist Opinion on the Downgrade Debacle.

The German Pc gaming magazine just released a online column from one of it's journalist talking about the Downgrade Debacle and it's rather good in my opinion.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-w...l/grafik_von_the_witcher_3,49062,3085987.html

The Column begins by saying that the game looks fantastic even though it doesn't look as good as those early trailers.
The Column then goes on to say that the main issue in the Downgrade Debacle was CDPR's non-response to the issue. That they stated the game would look just as good as those early trailers and in the end, didn't caused much of the outrage, more so than the downgrade itself.
It says that CDPR should release a statement about the downgrade. Why it had to be downgraded and why the miscommunication occured.
He closes the Article by saying that having met the developers in person before, he doesn't believe that mallice was behind the trailers and miscommunication. He thinks that CDPR truly wanted their game to look like this in the end and thought they could achieve this graphical fidelity. And that the miscommunication about the final quality of the game were most likely also results of CDPR wanting their game to truly fullfill it's fullest potential and believing that they could pull of those graphics in the end.

I didn't put this in the news-thread because i know it would cause an off-topic discussion, so i gave it it's own thread.
So do you agree with the article. Do you agree on the main issue with the downgrade debacle and what CDPR could do to salvage it?

Seriously great graphics do not make it into even top ten features I want to see in a game.
When it comes to visuals great art style leaves far stronger impression in the long run...in comparison of games I've played recently, Dishonored wins over Inquisition by a mile, despite how ugly it is.
I think in this case it was more a matter of "too much enthusiasm" and at some point they realized they have to push for stability instead...they should have simply stated it.
This is their first really large blockbuster game, so I hope for Cyberpunk they will be a bit more cautious when it comes to release dates and graphics.

The German Pc gaming magazine just released a online column from one of it's journalist talking about the Downgrade Debacle and it's rather good in my opinion.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-w...l/grafik_von_the_witcher_3,49062,3085987.html

The Column begins by saying that the game looks fantastic even though it doesn't look as good as those early trailers.
The Column then goes on to say that the main issue in the Downgrade Debacle was CDPR's non-response to the issue. That they stated the game would look just as good as those early trailers and in the end, didn't caused much of the outrage, more so than the downgrade itself.
It says that CDPR should release a statement about the downgrade. Why it had to be downgraded and why the miscommunication occured.
He closes the Article by saying that having met the developers in person before, he doesn't believe that mallice was behind the trailers and miscommunication. He thinks that CDPR truly wanted their game to look like this in the end and thought they could achieve this graphical fidelity. And that the miscommunication about the final quality of the game were most likely also results of CDPR wanting their game to truly fullfill it's fullest potential and believing that they could pull of those graphics in the end.

I didn't put this in the news-thread because i know it would cause an off-topic discussion, so i gave it it's own thread.
So do you agree with the article. Do you agree on the main issue with the downgrade debacle and what CDPR could do to salvage it?

Agree completely. Had CDPR just been up front and open that they might not be able meet the innitial "in game" footage, then there wouldnt be such a fuss. That said, I do beleive they are still using the old footage in advertising so that is a bit naughty :p

Seriously great graphics do not make it into even top ten features I want to see in a game.
When it comes to visuals great art style leaves far stronger impression in the long run...in comparison of games I've played recently, Dishonored wins over Inquisition by a mile, despite how ugly it is.
I think in this case it was more a matter of "too much enthusiasm" and at some point they realized they have to push for stability instead...they should have simply stated it.
This is their first really large blockbuster game, so I hope for Cyberpunk they will be a bit more cautious when it comes to release dates and graphics.

Exactly. Nobody of the gamers demanded these kind of graphics. These expectations are created by the developers themselves by showing those incredible trailers and also mentioning the trailers are ingame footage and the graphics on ultra will be slap in the face. These are bold statements, but coming from CDPR every graphics junky (like me, I admit) 100% believes they would be able to pull it off. If anyone could, its CDPR. But now it seems those promises and expectations will only be partially reality... According to me these are the frustrations about the graphics. And that is indeed sad because the game in general will be outstanding.

Well, I would guess that CDPR didn't consider it a debacle. A small percentage of people have decided it is. Sales are good, review are awesome... Pretty much a non issue. When asked, they say PC will look better, game looks great, have fun.

Seems to be accurate. Perhaps the debacle simply.... Isn't.

Having seen the NVIDIA 4k tweaked settings... it will look nice... if you have the monster PC that would allow them to work... but the lower settings are not huge losses.

Exactly. Nobody of the gamers demanded these kind of graphics. These expectations are created by the developers themselves by showing those incredible trailers and also mentioning the trailers are ingame footage and the graphics on ultra will be slap in the face. These are bold statements, but coming from CDPR every graphics junky (like me, I admit) 100% believes they would be able to pull it off. If anyone could, its CDPR. But now it seems those promises and expectations will only be partially reality... According to me these are the frustrations about the graphics. And that is indeed sad because the game in general will be outstanding.

I agree. The whole Grafics thing was unnecessary. I only had such high expectations because of what they told us.
The Game in its current state looks awesome and would have been enough to promote the Game.

Well, I would guess that CDPR didn't consider it a debacle. A small percentage of people have decided it is. Sales are good, review are awesome... Pretty much a non issue. When asked, they say PC will look better, game looks great, have fun.

I always find this statement funny. There is no way for one side or the other to know how many are pleased or displeased with this situation. You simply cannot tell. For example i could state the exact opposite of Your statement and its exactly as accurate as Yours.

Vocal minority is a defense term created by PR nothing more.

Edit: Also sales have almost nothing to do with it. Sure some might not buy the game but some who are displeased buy it anyway but might think twice the next time a new game from "insert dev here" comes around. In terms of reviews, well. Lets just say reviews don't matter as much to the consumer as they do to developers nowadays.

Last edited:
Nah... Actually Dragon Age Inquisition looks better than the current downgraded version of Witcher 3.

You may want to add some of this to your post

I always find this statement funny. There is no way for one side or the other to know how many are pleased or displeased with this situation. You simply cannot tell. For example i could state the exact opposite of Your statement and its exactly as accurate as Yours.

Vocal minority is a defense term created by PR nothing more.

Edit: Also sales have almost nothing to do with it. Sure some might not buy the game but some who are displeased buy it anyway but might think twice the next time a new game from "insert dev here" comes around. In terms of reviews, well. Lets just say Reviews don't matter as much to the consumer as they do to developers nowadays.

sadly i have to agree.. ill be more careful with the next gameplay video/trailer.. :)

I agree they should have said something, but the game looks amazing as it is, and with the tweaks from Nvidia it can look even better, they didn't fully explore the tweaks so more of them will come up in following days.

What I don't get though, is that it must have been running on a PC of a given spec with the graphics looking as we'd expected, so why can't it look like that now? Surely the hardware available now is more advanced than it was when those initial trailers appeared, so, why doesn't the game look that spectacular if the user selects "max detail"? Why would they feel the need to remove or disable anything from the preview trailers, when it clearly ran on a PC back then? I don't understand...?

What I don't get though, is that it must have been running on a PC of a given spec with the graphics looking as we'd expected, so why can't it look like that now? Surely the hardware available now is more advanced than it was when those initial trailers appeared, so, why doesn't the game look that spectacular if the user selects "max detail"? Why would they feel the need to remove or disable anything from the preview trailers, when it clearly ran on a PC back then? I don't understand...?
If it was the case of we cannot do it with this deadline, then i understand why they lowered the quality, just because it was running well in a few minutes trailer, that does not mean the game had not problems, we just don't have the information of how well the game was running with the old quality.

Because we have no idea what precisely ran on a PC. It was played by CD RED after all, so it could have been a closed up area or something. Or they had a small part of the game at that quality but the work required to have all of it looking like that would've been unfeasible. We will probably never know if CD RED doesn't come out in the open about it.

i never heard of gamestar lol is it new ?
It's ancient, if you can read german give it a try, though don't believe their hardware, concerning hardware pcgh would be much better.

If what you write are indeed the reasons for cdpr not to respond to the accusations accordingly, cdpr might turn into a rockstar, or maybe even later into an ea copy. It's a huge danger when a company grows to loose sigh of their ideals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom