Levelling

+
The problem isn't so much over scaling or scaling up with the player, the main problem is the trravel to skell is suggested at 16, yet the missions when you get there are a lot lower.

The actual levels are completely out of whack :/
Yeah, this.
The quest for getting to Skellige is set at level 16, but then the main quests go down to lvl 13-14 again for no reason. Other than having had some disappointing boss / rare bosses being a bit to easy even on death march (up some of the rare monsters HP or dmg could be a simple solution), I love that content isn't scaled. However having the content being levelled unevenly is a problem.

I wish enemies scaled to your level

I love this game, so I don't want to nit pick every little thing. That being said I think this game would be much better if enemies scaled to your level. I am currently level 28 and I find that many of the quests I have left over are not challenging even on the hardest difficulties. If enemies scaled to your level the open world component of the game would be much more fun and free.

Because quests and the related enemies in the area don't scale to your level there really is not as much freedom as you like in how you approach the open world. I think I will have to create a new game soon just to do different missions that have become to easy do to my leveling. I would prefer if I could use my same character and build to finish up low level quests after I completed the main story(and for them to be challenging and intense).

From a role playing perspective I would prefer if I could tackle elements of the main story sooner and not worry about quests becoming to easy. I find it ironic that for most of the game these urgent matters need to be dealt with, but I am taking time to do minor quests so that they match my difficulty level. From a role playing perspective I would enjoy dealing with matters of urgency first and then tackling random monster contracts after the world and Ciri are saved. From a gamer perspective I would like every quest to be challenging and do not want to miss out on content, because quests are not challenging. I don't want to hear about this fierce monster terrorizing the town only to kill it with one hit from the flat side of my blade.

I even felt on some occasions when the main story had an epic battle that being a couple level to high lessoned the intensity of key battles. I am not a programmer, so I don't know how hard it would be to scale enemies to your level. However I would love for either a modder or the developer to include this in an update or mod. It would take a game that I think is a 9 and make it a 10. It is my number one pet peeve with this game.

Last edited:
Well, apart from the unpleasant upgrade system and the horrendous controls this is also one of my main-points. However I think that higher level enemies than you should also not get a magical mysterious damage multiplier on their attacks while you get a magical damage reduction to them. Let skilled witchers take on higher level monsters without those artificial barriers I say.

And yes, if you are a completionist(I myself just finished the game with around 90% of it done, some question marks left on my map, all sidequests done and best possible ending) its kinda ridiculous because there will be some quests that end up being grey for you and they feel like a walk in the park.

I can, however, also understand if people dont want this. If scaling levels are introduced a player should be able to decide at the start of a new game if he wants it or not.

I had my most enjoyable figth with a level 10 monster while I'm on level 5. It was challenging, but I loved every bit of it and I was also forced to use everything at my disposal: signs, poitons, blade coatings, fighting tactics. I died several times, but in the end I figured it out, and when I managed to kill the wraith I was very pleased. So I don't think that level scaling would be good for this game. The lack of scaling gives you a real challenge and you learn to respect your foes and prepare for them, even flee if it's necessary. I think it gives the game an additional layer of depth and realism.

It also works the other way around too as you get more and more experienced some of the weaker monsters should not be that difficult to kill and certainly you should not get xp for them... since they are only a walk in the park for Geralt.

Last edited:
I had my most enjoyable figth with a level 10 monster while I'm on level 5. It was challenging, but I loved every bit of it and I was also forced to use everything at my disposal: signs, poitons, blade coatings, fighting tactics. I died several times, but in the end I figured it out, and when I managed to kill the wraith I was very pleased. So I don't think that level scaling would be good for this game. The lack of scaling gives you a real challenge and you learn to respect your foes and prepare for them, even flee if it's necessary. I think it gives the game an additional layer of depth and realism.

It also works the other way around too as you get more and more experienced some of the weaker monsters should not be that difficult to kill and certainly you should not get xp for them... since they are only a walk in the park for Geralt.

I think OP is only talking about lower level content scaling to your level.

Level scaling is a horrible idea. Scaling the mini-bosses of contract quests and dens seems reasonable, but no, NEVER will level scaling be a good idea.

I don't want to have Wild Dog[27] that take five hits from my Masterwork Steel Sword of Death to kill. Enemies should always have fixed levels.

Not that the current implementation is any good mind you. You have moronic things like Naked Bandit[1] in one area and Naked Bandit[10] in another, where a dude in his underwear, wielding a stick kills Geralt in two hits and takes more than 30 himself before dying, what the fuckin hell!

I had some enjoyable fights that were above my level on a few occasions, and I definitely see that perspective. I think having a scaling mechanism can make these type of encounters more frequent if the scaling just included enemies that were your level, plus 1 level, and plus 2 levels, etc. That being said enemies that scale and the hardest difficulty setting would offer an overall more challenging gaming environment overall than the gamer accidentally running into a higher level NPC on occasion.

Chissr seems to passionately against level scaling, but I am not sure gear being gimped is an adequate reason. Gear, such as a masterwork sword, would still increase your relative strength for your level. For example if you did not have that sword then it could take 7 hits not 5. Currently I could kill many enemies with one combo even without the best sword. In my mind at level 25 about eighty percent of the game world is on easy mode(even on hardest setting) without scaling.

I will probably just skip the remaining quests, finish the main story and start a new character.

I completely disagree. I hate games where the enemies scale to your level all the time. I like the fact that at level 5 there are level 30 monsters out there that would crush me with a casual backhand until I am ready for them.

First of all, we can all agree that scaling down to your level sucks. However, I wish at least the witcher contracts would scale up to your level. I found a couple of quests that sound really cool but are way beneath me now that I'm level 33.

No to enemy scaling, a 1000 times no. Some areas should be easy, and some should be harm. I love running into a mob(s) that are several levels higher than me and having to hightail it out of there. Gets the blood pumpin! :)

I feel like the game needs a higher difficulty level, i'm playing on death march and I just find it too easy for the hardest difficulty. I'm breezing through the game. I guess this all comes from just meeting level 7~9 bandits whilst exploring and i'm level 16 and killing most in 1~3 hits which is pretty understandable, but it's not nice knowing that 70~80% of the enemies that I meet on the map are that easy to kill. Your average enemy is just too easy to kill.

It would be a pretty good idea to increase the levels of enemies in death march in comparison to other difficulties. Consistently meeting enemies lower level than me is quite depressing. Then again I want to feel rewarded for having good gear or being a high level, but enemies need to be able to kill me if I make a mistake during a fight. I can take 5 hits to the face and still survive with half health, it's not punishing enough.

Well, apart from the unpleasant upgrade system and the horrendous controls this is also one of my main-points. However I think that higher level enemies than you should also not get a magical mysterious damage multiplier on their attacks while you get a magical damage reduction to them. Let skilled witchers take on higher level monsters without those artificial barriers I say.

And yes, if you are a completionist(I myself just finished the game with around 90% of it done, some question marks left on my map, all sidequests done and best possible ending) its kinda ridiculous because there will be some quests that end up being grey for you and they feel like a walk in the park.

I can, however, also understand if people dont want this. If scaling levels are introduced a player should be able to decide at the start of a new game if he wants it or not.

Non scaling enemies are especially boring on Death March difficulty. I doubt anyone would pick hardest difficulty without the mindset of wanting a challenge. (this could be good place to to set some kind of scaling difficulty)
Unfortunately as the game is for now you end up getting ''punished'' for doing a lot of side content and quests ending up outleveling and thus destroying the challenge for chunks of content in the process.
-Edit: i see no reason for downscaling.

However im positive that once the mod tools get out we will see this getting addressed... Atleast i most certainly hope so!

Last edited:
I'd really like to see the storyline missions listed WITHOUT level recommendations. I find a lot of times that I am out questing, killing monsters and such just to find that I am five levels beyond the recommended level for my story mission. Then once I partake in said mission, I am a bit over leveled and some of the fights are less glorious. If any missions were set to scale, it should be the story missions only. Conversely, they should not downscale. It should be up to the player to decide whether or not they are ready to attempt the mission. If you fail, come back again when you are stronger.

Main quest give too much xp...
in this game you can run only in one thing...start a main quest or explore the world with side quest, contracts etc etc, for now you cant do both of them.
I'm sorry CDProject, but you did a great mess with this main quest.
I've restart 3 times try to find a solution to no destroy my future experience with this damn game, I ignore all the keira's side quest, I finish only one contract and a few little side quest...I do the 2 main quest in Velen (Hunting a Witch and The Bloody Baron) and in any case when I start the quest of the three megere...I'm lvl 8...and suggested level for this quest is 6...and i don't destroy monster nest (two or three mybe), I don't clean site etc...
Now, CDProject, people not have choice, you cant tell us: Oh you can go to Novigrad the to Skellidge and the return to finish the main quest in velen...yes and I can kill the enemies 10 lvl under me of the main quest in Velen with my powerful fart. Please.

Sorry for my English...it's not very good maybe.

I've wait this game for long time...and now I've a deludent game experience.
A lot of people have this issue and we have no reply.

I'll jump on that bandwagon that at times I felt I did get way too much experience (transition between Velen to Novigrad or however its spelled). I've been on both ends of the spectrum at different times though. I also got way too much coin. The coin's my fault, I looted and sold too much lol. Balance isn't easy I'm guessing.

Edit: Realized I was just responding to the above instead of the OP. I'm against level scaling. As frustrating as it was, I liked that I simply had to leave and come back with a little more power, even though it didn't help the storyline very much that I made them wait on me.

Last edited:
Downscaling would ruin the game, but level upscaling is completely and utterly necessary. The best option, of course, would be to leave it to the individual player to chose if they want level upscaling, but if that is impossible it is probably the best thing for the game if main missions and certain contracts/side quest scaled.

Level scaling is the ...the worst design ever made. It's just a dumb design choice, I really can't understand why some people like this bullshit.

Top Bottom