Looking for a few technical answers

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, do keep in mind that the tech team is probably hard at work on delivering B&W in the best state it can be at launch. They might be too busy even for personal life, not to mention giving up free time to answer some of our queries. :)

And @Dahlialynn - the questions are yours, not mine, so you can ask them in whatever way you want. Which includes ignoring our suggestions if you want to do it differently. Seems like you're giving yourselves a lot of work though :)

Guys, do keep in mind that the tech team is probably hard at work on delivering B&W in the best state it can be at launch. They might be too busy even for personal life, not to mention giving up free time to answer some of our queries. :)

You can say they were always busy and always working on something. So I doubt you can use it as a measure of how much they can communicate. It's more of a policy than necessity. If things will get better after B&W though - good.

You can say they were always busy and always working on something. So I doubt you can use it as a measure of how much they can communicate. It's more of a policy than necessity. If things will get better after B&W though - good.

Regardless of policy, I do think they are busier closer to releases and shortly after releases than any other period. But that's besides the point. What I meant that if they would decide to finally answer tech questions, it probably wouldn't be now.

hi, how can dump swf file? wcc says can dumps, but not cans, cans not.

wcc_lite/scripstudio are bugging out hard, what can do for cdprmans?

... ps, i don't use twitter ...

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

Regardless of policy, I do think they are busier closer to releases and shortly after releases than any other period. But that's besides the point. What I meant that if they would decide to finally answer tech questions, it probably wouldn't be now.
Please do understand that some of those questions have been lingering from August, along with few other modders we've tried reaching out for more info after 1.08 which enabled script-modding. Then around HoS and now close to B&W. All to no avail.

I am sorry but i'm getting close to the end of my wits and everything sounds like poor and sad excuses, especially since it's always someone but not CDPR people giving them.

hi, how can dump swf file? wcc says can dumps, but not cans, cans not.
Sarcen's mod editor can extract .redswf to swf. Then you have to use some flash decompile software, there are few on the internet.

@Dragonbird what I was attempting to do was provide a potential solution for those seeking answers to their modding/under-the-hood questions who don't feel they are being heard. Many Game devs (not tech support) don't normally browse the forums as often as people would like them to. Hence a pinned post with guidelines and properly organized questions would make it easier for them to find it if they choose to.

It would be great if you (as mods) considered implementing some form of what I suggested earlier "officially".

Last edited:
Sarcen's mod editor can extract .redswf to swf. Then you have to use some flash decompile software, there are few on the internet.

yes (and ty), but where do i find .redswf file? i can't see them in the uncook, modkit, or game file folders. :O

Last edited:
Use Sarcen's mod editor to extract all files that exist within game archives.

i think i will try that (update: well, it works, amazing)... tried uncooking using wcc_lite again, and got this:

update2: well, the export .swf function doesn't exactly work, but jpexs ffdecompiler does, i think. ;o

PHP:
snip..........\model\helmet_01_mw__imlerith_burned.w2mesh'...
[WCC] ------------
[WWise_Global] Voice Starvation

the wcc_lite process crashes, but there's still HDD activity... i see nothing using the CPU however...

but resmon shows 20mb/sec read activity on the destination files, for several minutes?

yea, reboot... something obviously isn't right... :\

Last edited:

Vinthir

CD PROJEKT RED
Hi,

Some of the questions you are asking require very specialized knowledge and only a few busy people within the company would be able to elaborate on them, even more so in the context of modding (as opposed to using our internal tools). Programmers are only a small subgroup within Red. Most people won't know much or anything about this stuff. And participation in forums is voluntary. Granted, the levels of job satisfaction and passion for what we do are higher in gamedev than in any other industry I know but still after devoting a lot of their time to work people may want to do something else in their free time, may it even be posting on a forum of a game that's not ours (heresy!).

Anyway, I'm here. Please understand that I'm only posting to the best of my knowledge. There will be a lot of "afaik" here.

Global LOD Controls apparently exist as engine variables but they do not appear to have any influence, however LOD distances can be set on a per-asset basis.
There may be some leftovers of abandoned features. Afaik LODs are set per mesh for optimization reasons. Dunno if this could be switched to automated but it's possible that if done it would often result in out of memory.

What happened to Ubersampling? IIRC it was mentioned to be added post-release?
As with every single feature/release/announcement, if there is something planned you will learn when the time is due. That's the general rule.

How do timers work in custom classes
Mind that our scripters/programmers need to know how stuff works with our internal tools, not how to make stuff work with modding tools:

A scripter:
Class needs to extend CEntity class to have timer functionality (note that the AddTimer() function is imported there). <- This person advised me to contact a programmer regarding custom classes.

A programmer:
Defining an independent class which would use timers is not possible. Timers are only available from the level of a single entity. Maybe to have some kind of a self-updating mechanism one could use the states machine, ie add a states machine to an entity and use latent functions but that's just theorizing <-translated from Polish. This person added they never used timers.

Is it possible to enable debug features in retail copy of the game?
I don't know. Btw, as you know, people already enabled some debug features like the command console, which, I must add, is a pain to technical support as people use free camera, miss trigger areas and create blockers for themselves this way.

If you want to contact us with questions you can do it via our support form. It was via a support ticket that Mangekyoumadara1987, the author of The Enhancement System mod, mentioned earlier in this thread, contacted us. It was very kind of him to credit me even though I contributed little.

If you decide to contact support please ask each question in a separate ticket, it's much easier and faster to reply to such questions than to collections of questions/bug reports. Also, the more specific the question the more possible a specific answer will be. Support answers every query but take into account everything else I wrote above. You may crave for more detail than is, for various reasons, possible to provide. Thank you for your understanding.

Clicking "Submit Reply" and dunno about you but I think I'm gonna finally watch Snowpiercer in the last few hours left of Sunday. This or start playing The Talos Principle at last. Or maybe The Cat Lady?

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

Firstly thanks for answering.

There may be some leftovers of abandoned features. Afaik LODs are set per mesh for optimization reasons. Dunno if this could be switched to automated but it's possible that if done it would often result in out of memory.
What kind of memory? RAM? VRAM? preallocated budgets? As far as i can tell, people tried editing lots of assets to imitate global LOD bias and it worked just fine (except being painstakingly tedious and pretty much impossible to share since mod is made out of all meshes with edited configuration layer which doesn't make much sense to upload to any site).

As with every single feature/release/announcement, if there is something planned you will learn when the time is due. That's the general rule.
I'm not *demanding* any information, just the confirmation that the plan is still there is enough.

Mind that our scripters/programmers need to know how stuff works with our internal tools, not how to make stuff work with modding tools:
That's something i'm painfully aware of, however in terms of wscript i assume there aren't going to be any differences.

A scripter:
Class needs to extend CEntity class to have timer functionality (note that the AddTimer() function is imported there). <- This person advised me to contact a programmer regarding custom classes.

A programmer:
Defining an independent class which would use timers is not possible. Timers are only available from the level of a single entity. Maybe to have some kind of a self-updating mechanism one could use the states machine, ie add a states machine to an entity and use latent functions but that's just theorizing <-translated from Polish. This person added they never used timers.
That much we've figured out on our own as script modders, point is that creating custom class that extends CEntity class and then instancing within game world works as intended(new custom class in entity), besides the painful aspect of timers, which simply do not tick due to a reason we're unable to determine.
I don't know. Btw, as you know, people already enabled some debug features like the command console, which, I must add, is a pain to technical support as people use free camera, miss trigger areas and create blockers for themselves this way.
Which is why it'd be much easier to simply hide all of the "debug" features in retail copy behind a command line switch with disclaimer that it's not supported for "actual" gameplay. That way community wouldn't have to bother to reverse engineer the game after each update, plus bother with injecting anything into the game's process. It's already within the game and engine, why do we even have to dig and claw those features on our own. It's something average user doesn't need, but (some) of the features would be greatly beneficial for modders or other kinds of "power users".

If you want to contact us with questions you can do it via our support form. It was via a support ticket that Mangekyoumadara1987, the author of The Enhancement System mod, mentioned earlier in this thread, reached me. It was very kind of him to credit me even though I contributed little.
I understand, however i always thought tech support is meant for actual issues with the game, with which i also didn't bother because as you mentioned earlier having the debug console injector = invalid bug report.[/quote]

If you decide to contact support please ask each question in a separate ticket, it's much easier and faster to reply to such questions than to collections of questions/bugs. Also, the more specific the question the more possible a specific answer will be. Support answers every query but take into account everything else I wrote above. You may crave for more detail than is, for various reasons, possible to provide. Thank you for your understanding.
I understand and thank you for your time, however i would like to stress this point that if you wish to keep Witcher 3 as "mod friendly" you should consider opening up, on more than one level.

Tools we have are sub-par, support and access to information is non-existant save from stuff we literally reverse-engineer on our own. Situation is dire for us.
If it wasn't for personas like @Sarcen, @rmemr who provide tools and @KNGRSM who bothered to poke around DLC mounting system, modding possibilities for the game would've been close to none with tools and knowledge that were "officially" provided to us.
Granted, Witcher 3 is a great game, possibly even genre defining for the years to come. But mods always serve as the way of making the game truly immortal.
At this rate, Witcher 3 will be done month after B&W ships, because it'll be a finished story, lore and content wise. With decent tools community can endlessly provide both (vide Skyrim), with semi-decent tools community can at least provide content. Currently we barely can provide anything.

Excuse my litte rant here, but i feel as if CDPR staff wasn't even aware of how they aligned themselves towards modding community, having promised "a lot" and delivered "something".

At the very least, i'd appreciate if this message was forwarded to the "higher-ups". Even with current tools, the situation could be improved greatly simply by creating a stable communication channel between modding community and the developers.
Granted and 100% right - you don't owe us anything and we're in no position to demand anything, but there are certain things you should consider doing either in terms of pure PR or long term profits.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
But mods always serve as the way of making the game truly immortal.

This, so much this.

I want to able to play this amazing game for years to come and to see it constantly evolve even after CDPR themselves move on the different projects such as Cyperpunk and so on. And I'm pretty darn sure I'm for from alone on this.

Please help us, the talented team at CDPR to love you and your games even more. :)

If I may ask a question, there are proxy models in game for all kind of buildings. Since LoD Increased mod came out, it increases LoD of every mesh in game, including elements of which buildings are created. So we have situation, that fully detailed building with the mod is loaded, for example, 20 meters from Geralt, but proxy disappears at 15 meter. Is there possibility to change that value for proxy models? Increase the distance in which they disappear, eventually completely turn them off and set huge LoD value for elements of detailed buildings(which can cause 100FPS drop I guess, but will look extremely beautiful for Novigrad).

Programmers are only a small subgroup within Red. Most people won't know much or anything about this stuff. And participation in forums is voluntary. Granted, the levels of job satisfaction and passion for what we do are higher in gamedev than in any other industry I know but still after devoting a lot of their time to work people may want to do something else in their free time, may it even be posting on a forum of a game that's not ours (heresy!).

Anyway, I'm here.

Thanks for paying attention to the forum! It's a rare treat for the community. Surely, people need to relax, and visiting the forum can seem like extra work :) But please, let your colleagues know that often community simply can't find any way to contact developers and questions remain unanswered for months and years. And forum is really the best medium for it, since it allows participation of community as a whole. So if some developers (especially engine developers) could find at least some time periodically - it would be really great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom