Midnight Launches

+

Midnight Launches

• Yes. Even though TW1 and 2 may not have been, this one will definitely warrant a midnight event.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • No. I dont think so. As much as i would want it to happen, i just doubt it is popular enough for it.

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Dont really know. TW series is popular but i am not sure it is enough to get a midnight launch.

Votes: 18 27.3%

• Total voters
Midnight Launches

Do YOU think The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt will be big enough to warrant midnight launches at places like GameStop, EB Games and others (i think Fry's is another but i am not sure)?

This is just an opinion and therefore should not be taken as ''it will'' or ''it wont'' etc. Just choose what you think WILL happen. What you THINK, will happen, not what you expect will.

K go.

Greatness often goes unappreciated and unnoticed. Being a PC gamer, I've never been to any midnight launch events. With digi-dist, we just hope for preloads. The scope of this game sounds like it'll be in the range of 35GB or so (compressed).

I preordered from Amazon, so it's a crapshoot as for when I'm going to get the product. They might not ship until the day the game releases (so I get it 1+ days later than everyone else), or they may ship it early, but the game will not activate during install/registration until an official time.

I hate the term, because of how simpletons reference it nowadays, but this game is truly deserving of the word "epic". Epic in scale and grandiose. RPGs hold their own as far as genres go, and I think W3 will be a crowning jewel in the series by which games will be judged down the line.

Prior to E3, i highly doubted it would get one, but with popularity steadily rising it is becoming more and more likely to be popular enough to warrant a midnight launch.

I voted yes.

Not many RPGs get midnight launches, well except a few exceptions such as Mass Effect. Mostly First Person Shooters such as Call of Duty and Battlefield get midnight launches.
Although I'm gonna pre-order Witcher 3, It really doesn't make a difference to me because I'm not gonna play the game until Nvidia releases proper drivers for the game which is probably a week after the launch.

If i were to put my opinions into expressions based on interest factor, TW1 would be ''Oh wow", TW2 would be "Hey cool, this is really good actually" and TW3 would be "Holy ---- this looks awesome!"

TW1 appeared without much fanfare and really only achieved success due to word of mouth. It still did quite well considering the time it was released in.

TW2, being the follow up, received a lot more interest because of it, as well as the shockingly good visuals for the time. It also achieved markedly bigger reception mostly because it continued an already engaging character story, though it did not directly connect to the previous game.

TW3, in my personal opinion, because - just like TW2 - is a continuation of what was already popular, it also is getting attention. But for the simple fact that the new buzz word around the campfire is ''open world'' it has become somewhat of a ''Skyrim-killer" with so many people comparing the two games. What i think is also garnering much attention is the fact that CDPR's attitude toward the gamer with the ''risk all'' stance on anti-DRM policies. That coupled with the even better graphics than the previous game by a substantial margin and the developer making their openness to real feedback blatantly obvious has given the developer a ''gamer's developer'' moniker.

For this progressively increasing popularity, makes me think that midnight launches - despite their non-American studio origin - for the game are a real possibility given the numbers. My local EB Games store has informed me that for a midnight launch to happen, there has to be bare minimum 100 pre-orders 2 weeks prior to release for the manager to even consider it. Of course, i have not been able to discern the actual number as it is against policy to divulge that to the public.

My local EB Games store has informed me that for a midnight launch to happen, there has to be bare minimum 100 pre-orders 2 weeks prior to release for the manager to even consider it.

This is exactly what my local EB does as well. There has to be at least 100 pre-orders at that specific store for them to warrant a Midnight Launch.
I'd like to think that plenty of local stores will have over 100 pre-orders and we'll see some midnight launches, but really who knows. I doubt CDPR will have planned the kind of ridiculous midnight launch stuff that Blizzard or Rockstar do.

GTAV midnight launch was fantastic. They had tons of PS360's setup where you could go play the game whilst you waited in line or if a friend was grabbing the copies and you wanted to play. Full on proper movie size posters that anyone could grab for free. It was great. I'd really love for something like that to happen for The Witcher 3, but yea it's probably going to be completely dependent on your local store and not organized/encouraged by CDPR.

Would love a "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" option. Does anyone really care about this? Would you really mess up your sleeping pattern to play the game a few hours earlier? I guess queueing for a game at midnight just seems dreary compared to the excitement you could be having, in bed, with company. :p

Would love a "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" option. Does anyone really care about this? Would you really mess up your sleeping pattern to play the game a few hours earlier? I guess queueing for a game at midnight just seems dreary compared to the excitement you could be having, in bed, with company. :p

You would be very surprised to know that a great many people would and still do go to midnight launches. Hell, its a major catastrophe when a title has its street date broken... by a single day. Even worse if it is broken AFTER their local store's have closed for the night.

So in answer to your question - yes, people really care about playing a game HOURS earlier.

And for the record i will add that ive only been to a couple in my time, but i live in a rural area so we dont get many midnight launches. But in the city... you could fill an entire cinema complex for major game releases. Watch Dogs comes to mind - whatever you feel about the game itself... the midnight launch was MASSIVE in the city. There were huge crowds of people outside the store. Why? Because the store itself was packed to capacity and could not fit any more in.

Last edited:
Och I just don't get it, and i've been buying games since before the PC was invented, it just seems a tad extreme. But I believe you so fair enough. Still, you could add a don't care option, every single poll ever made should have one. :p

Not yet I guess. I don't think it CDPR has a large player-base for this type of event. Midnight launches are usually from popular/mainstream franchise that has a massive followers.

Och I just don't get it, and i've been buying games since before the PC was invented, it just seems a tad extreme. But I believe you so fair enough. Still, you could add a don't care option, every single poll ever made should have one. :p

Fair enough, but i dont think i can edit a poll after its been posted without wiping the votes.

TW 2 had a Midnight Launch where I live in the US, so I can only assume TW 3 will as well

It's ranked as one of the most anticipated titles on all major sites and it's still 6 months out. So yeah, I'm sure it will. Not that it matters any to me. I'll be playing a GoG copy. I have friends who are console gamers and apparently it's a thing to go down to GameStop at midnight and wait in a line 50-100 people long. If it drums up hype I guess it's all good.

I expect GOG to have preloading of the game so why would I be out at a store at midnight when I can be at home playing instead?

Top Bottom