[MOD SUGGESTION] Better Textures for Effects

+
[MOD SUGGESTION] Better Textures for Effects

At this point it seems pretty clear that CDProjekt RED isn't going to tune up the visual aspects of the game again, so I propose a suggestion to the modding community. I understand that the modding tools available so far aren't exactly all that great, but it enables the swapping of textures just fine. So why not an Enhanced Effects mod? No, not crazy amounts of HDR or ReShade presets that make them beyond recognition, but some better textures mainly for fire and smoke? Has anyone tried a crack at this yet, and have the efforts been in vain? Not asking for some pre-downgrade fire effects here, but something a bit less of an eyesore. Maybe we can get something nice rolling.

Second this. Not much for smoke and fire though.

But for "Thunders" and "Blood" that are all jaggy, even more if you are not using DOF, someone really could make them a lot smoother.

The strange thing is there is fire that looks amazing, like this.

But then there is also fire like this

Where the fire animation is far from fluid (more like stop motion), very low resolution and there isn't any smoke or fire particles to speak of.

If all the fire in the game could look like in the first image I would definitely be happy and satisfied with that.

What we're all secretly dreaming about though of course is this...

Yes that is not just textures and what you stated is indisputable fact. :p

And probably extremely performance heavy to boot as those type of effects tends to be.

Never understood how developers make gameplay trailers WITH these features running fine on older hardware, and later on claim that it would be impossible to run now. Of course you'd have to take into account if the world was being rendered in the same way as we have it now, maybe giving the older builds a bit more flexibility with what they could handle in terms of performance.
Or it just wasn't gameplay at all.

erxv

Forum veteran
Never understood how developers make gameplay trailers WITH these features running fine on older hardware, and later on claim that it would be impossible to run now. Of course you'd have to take into account if the world was being rendered in the same way as we have it now, maybe giving the older builds a bit more flexibility with what they could handle in terms of performance.
Or it just wasn't gameplay at all.

that scene was probably at like 5 fps or so and then the footage was just sped up, or it was just a small part of the world, with no other code, effects or anything except exactly what is shown being run.

Would like to inform that I found the Lighting Strikes textures!

Will try something when I get home ;)

That's great news!

If you need inspiration for the lighting strike textures.
[video=youtube;pQrxZZXq-Ys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQrxZZXq-Ys[/video]

It didn't work ... A shame... have some nice Thunder Strikes images here :(
(Looking like the ones in the video)

Guess I found another Lighting textures, will keep looking for the right ones!

Sorry guys :(

If someone finds the right file before me, let me know which one it is, ty.

Last edited:
It didn't work ... A shame... have some nice Thunder Strikes images here :(
(Looking like the ones in the video)

Guess I found another Lighting textures, will keep looking for the right ones!

Sorry guys :(

If someone finds the right file before me, let me know which one it is, ty.

What about rain? Could you perhaps add rain textures of another game, maybe batman or watch dogs, into Witcher 3? Because W3 rain looks more like white lines instead of real rain. Same thing as the thunders actually.

And we need some kind of Lighting Strikes illumination. It was there in SOD trailer too, same as everything (not like now which is fake distance illumination ). And it is gone now :( Look carefully to beginning of raining scene in the sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU#t=1m16s

And rain drops is not white textures too. It is actually water material with fractal reflection which rain drops is not visible in dark area.

Last edited:
A proper way to look how the rain drops are today - Photomode 2inOne
You can reduce game speed down to what you like and force weathers to rain storm or just a gentle rain.

EDIT: Ah the pre-release video, makes me sad :(

Anyway looks like today the rain drops still have some kind of volume, however refraction is missing.
Might be wrong about this though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom