Modkit Update changelog

+
Todd Howard has said in more than one interview their dev studio is still around 100 people. Has been for a long time. CDPR at the height of production was around 230. Larian, which is far smaller than both, is hiring more people as a stretch goal for mod tools. Simple fact is, the mod community has never been a huge priority for CDPR, and is less of one now. It's too bad they bothered with REDkit in the first place for TW2, when the mod community has long left that game. They should have waited and done if for TW3. People need to have realistic expectations here.

That's exactly my point. Only 100 people. Hire more employees! Say you own a small company, right? And your company makes something like.... cell phone cases with neat designs. You did fine for a while, had a few cases that cell phone case enthusiasts loved but didn't catch on the way you hoped they would in the mainstream. So you took your whole staff and worked on the ultimate cell phone case. The best cell phone case ever that every cell phone user will love and they can easily even add their own cool custom designs and accessories for it. That's one of the reasons your old, loyal fans got excited in the first place. "Wait, our favorite cell phone case company that made the best cell phone case ever is going to allow us to completely customize their new case they're coming out with? Holy crap, this is amazing! I can't wait to customize my cell phone case!!!!!"

Then the case comes out. And it's such an awesome case. You and your team make tons of money as you finally broke through into mainstream cell phone case distribution. And all those old loyal fans' voices, asking where the ability to customize their cell phone case, they all get lost among the shouts of the millions. But you've got tons and tons of money now. More than ever before. And you have to listen to all these new mainstream cell phone case fans, because you're the company that listens to its fans. And that's hard. They ask for stupid things. They ask for impossible things. And... wait, weren't we supposed to make our cell phone cases customizable? Yeah. But that would cost money and we'd have to not do other things. But we promised them. Yeah, but money. Here, give them this. It'll sort of customize their cell phone cases. But it doesn't work. And we should probably explain to them exactly how to customize their cell phone cases. Dude, I said I'm busy. I've got all this money to count, and the new fans are SO LOUD. Just ship out the broken tool, hopefully they'll be okay with that.

Now, if I owned that company, I would think long term (as no one in this other industry I'm interested in seems to do--they make games or something in that industry, but that's not what this is about). I would give my fans exactly what I originally promised them, as I know the people buying my cell phone cases are the ones keeping my company going. And I'm in this to make awesome cell phone cases, dammit, not for the money. We have plenty of money now anyway. We can Afford To Hire A Dedicated Team To Make A Fantastic Cell Phone Case Customizer Tool.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, obviously, I hope none of what I fear is true. But it's seriously how it's starting to feel around here. I hope I'm wrong about all of it. I really do. I hope we get exactly what we were promised pre-release. But it feels like we're forgotten about down here.

also, it seems that they updated the documentation, so hopefully it'll be more details and information on how to exploit the MODkit properly.

Please tell me that the documentation is different for you guys... because to me it seems EXACTLY as two months ago :hurt::sleepy:

Please tell me that the documentation is different for you guys... because to me it seems EXACTLY as two months ago :hurt::sleepy:

seems to be the same, then again nothing really changed, except bugfixes of how wcc_lite handles some stuff. most interesting addition for me at least, being able to uncook .texarray properly.

commands, parameters etc. all stay the same, except the uncooking / cooking processes did fix some stuff that didn't work properly before.

if you haven't already, I highly recommend uncooking everything again.

---------- Updated at 06:04 PM ----------

Awsm. Hopefully with some talented modders, we'll get to see some HD texture mods for grass, water and environments.

this will most certainly be possible now.

this will most certainly be possible now.

EXCELLENT. This will be interesting. Also DUDE, where have u been? All your awsm mods just vanished from Nexus. Did something happen? Everyone's freaking out.

---------- Updated at 06:10 PM ----------

Yeah but HOW? There's nothing on the manuals about that, do we have to discover things randomly again?

Yea probably we all have to find all those files and change it ourselves but with all the talented modders out there, I don't think it's gonna take too long before we figure it all out.

EXCELLENT. This will be interesting. Also DUDE, where have u been? All your awsm mods just vanished from Nexus. Did something happen? Everyone's freaking out.

Yes, the script mods sucked. So I took them down, updating that shit everytime is just to tedious.

Don't worry, someone else will probably figure it out too and make something better.

Yes, the script mods sucked. So I took them down, updating that shit everytime is just to tedious.

I hear you. Kinda figured that would be the issue. I mean that's the kind of suffering modders have to go through till the "Definitive update" for Witcher 3 comes out which I presume will be the Enhanced Edition. A lot of people faced the same frustration with Skyrim too until the Legendary Edition came out. Anyway, don't be a stranger. I hope you can figure something out and continue those awsm mods and who knows...maybe some texture modding?. Cheers.

I don't blame you at all, considering how shitty CDPR's support for the modders is.

It's better than nothing. Personally, It's better for me than they are working on patches and expansions instead of making documentation for the modding tools. Really guys, it's that hard to understand how things works? Uncook-->Edit-->Cook and pack. It's the same with texture arrays. Uncook-->Edit-->Cook. They are located everywhere, most of them is in "environment" folder...

It's better than nothing. Personally, It's better for me than they are working on patches and expansions instead of making documentation for the modding tools. Really guys, it's that hard to understand how things works? Uncook-->Edit-->Cook and pack. It's the same with texture arrays. Uncook-->Edit-->Cook. They are located everywhere, most of them is in "environment" folder...

and obviously in \levels\

---------- Updated at 06:36 PM ----------

I don't blame you at all, considering how shitty CDPR's support for the modders is.

I don't blame CDPR, clearly the game was never made with the intention of it being heavily modded. Without giving out certain production tools, that they created, and others that they licensed (Autodesk Speedtree, Scaleform etc.).

Maintaining the mod support for their game will also create some cost and take away some money too. So it comes down to the community. The modding wouldn't be where it is right now without people like @Sarcen that kinda "create" the mod tools needed to modifiy the game. Many games in history did not have native mod support, yet they were heavily modified at some point. Just look at Battlefield etc. all the modding tools (except for BF2) were always created by the community.

Last edited:
It's better than nothing. Personally, It's better for me than they are working on patches and expansions instead of making documentation for the modding tools.

Give a man an expansion and he'll play the game for another 20 hours. Give the man decent modding tools and he'll sink a 1000 hours into the game and pull his friends in with him.

commands, parameters etc. all stay the same, except the uncooking / cooking processes did fix some stuff that didn't work properly before.
It haven't fixed everything for me :( Although I don't get error messages now the result is the same - after running wcc_lite I get just partially uncooked game with more than half of the content missing.

It haven't fixed everything for me :( Although I don't get error messages now the result is the same - after running wcc_lite I get just partially uncooked game with more than half of the content missing.

That's weird. Did you get any "operation failed" messages? You can try looking at "wcc.txt" file in modkitdir\bin\

That's weird. Did you get any "operation failed" messages? You can try looking at "wcc.txt" file in modkitdir\bin\
No errors. But there isn't a single w2ent file, for example, even if I use unbundleonly mode, which in theory should just unpack all the data (?)

No errors. But there isn't a single w2ent file, for example, even if I use unbundleonly mode, which in theory should just unpack all the data (?)

it doesn't "uncook" .w2ent files and several others more. "uncooking" is making the .xbm extract to a "native"? image format like .png, .tga etc. from the texture.cache files.

I personally never used wcc_lite to "unpack" .w2ent's etc. Always used quickBMS to get these files.
I'm not even sure that it natively supports unpacking of .w2ent. It does definitely support "packing" these files. @Sarcen Mod editor can unpack these files too (bundle explorer) but it might be his own "extraction" method that might be based on the .lua tools. (Can be wrong here)

Last edited:
Top Bottom