Monster chase radius - they hate when you loot and run

+
Monster chase radius - they hate when you loot and run

So I found out there is some sort of mechanism that kicks in if you are a dirty thief and just loot and run from the treasure guardian instead of fight it.

So far through my Velen play, there is one witcher gear location that stands out - all others so far have been guarded by level appropriate guardians compared to the gear they guard. But this Witcher sword level 7 is guarded by a level 14 wyvern/basilisk, forgot which.

So I just ran and looted, then ran away. And found out that;

a) if you run in but don't successfully open the chest before combat mode kicks in that locks you from looting, you can run away and the monster will only chase you a short radius before breaking off, kinda like stealing and running from the guards - they give up a short distance later.

b) but if you loot the treasure guardian chest, which i finally did after a few tries to get to the chest before wyvern noticed me and locked me in combat, it will cause you damn near forever. I ran at first, dodged, called horse and then sprinted on horse from that far NW tower location where sword is, and rode away with that damned wyvern chasing me all the way to Blackbough - that's the entire top North-West portion of the northern map that it chased me and didn't give up until just outside Blackbough.

So I gotta say, those treasure guardians sure don't like to be robbed.

Tuco

Forum veteran
I honestly wish the "chase radius" (or engagement range) was far more extended in most cases. It's way too easy to find yourself cheesing enemies who don't go past an imaginary line even when you are not deliberately trying to do it.

that is not a normal treasure guardian behaviour. It's typical for those flying things, like Wyverns/Griffins and stuff. Normally you just grap the stuff and run, they won't follow you much. But Griffins somehow just can't let go. I had one near Oxenfurst guarding a treasure. It followed me to Oxenfurt, where it started combat with the guards ^^.
Was actually quite funny - until I somehow managed to crossbow a guard...after that they got pissed at me for no reason :(

• RED Point
Reactions: BWB
that is not a normal treasure guardian behaviour. It's typical for those flying things, like Wyverns/Griffins and stuff. Normally you just grap the stuff and run, they won't follow you much. But Griffins somehow just can't let go. I had one near Oxenfurst guarding a treasure. It followed me to Oxenfurt, where it started combat with the guards ^^.
Was actually quite funny - until I somehow managed to crossbow a guard...after that they got pissed at me for no reason :(

That happened to me too. I had an epic fight with that monster in the streets of Oxenfurt.

It might have more to do with the type of enemy rather than if you try to steal from them.

Recently I was traveling through some dangerous territory (I don't fast travel) and tried to ride through a Wyvern nest that was perched on a ridge. I went at full gallop figuring it would chase me a bit and then give up. It never did. I galloped with it nipping at my heals, freaking out Roach all the way to the nearest town I could find. Again, I thought I had won our little race. But he still wasn't done! The beast flew down into the center of town, villagers screaming and running to get away. One poor villager was not so lucky and was actually caught by the Wyvern and brutally mauled to death.

I had no idea some monsters could travel so far, even entering villages much less killing actual NPCs. Put me back to my evil Skyrim experiments of luring monsters into the middle of town and sitting back to watch the carnage. Too cool.

Last edited:
I had a guard from Crow's Nest (or however they call it in the English version) chase me across half the map once, I've seen other guards give up when I ran around the next corner. It seems pretty inconsistent. Wish they'd increase the aggro radius to make (accidental) cheesing harder, but then I can see kiting mobs into guards being a lot more common.

I honestly wish the "chase radius" (or engagement range) was far more extended in most cases. It's way too easy to find yourself cheesing enemies who don't go past an imaginary line even when you are not deliberately trying to do it.

same, both chase and autosheath distance should be doubled imo

same, both chase and autosheath distance should be doubled imo

Totally. Bandits are the most pathetic for some reason; melee fighters standing at range shaking their fists at you while you pepper them with ranged attacks. It's silly. I would really love to see more monsters get into entanglements with guards and wild beasts. I mean they shouldn't be raiding settlements but there should be some leash range overlap.

I find both the aggro and chase range of most mobs to be way to short a lot of the time in this game. I mean in some games it's annoying when mobs chase you across the entire map but this game seems to have gone to the other extreme. Sometimes you can just put a few meters between you and them and they "give up" despite you still being close enough to throw a rock and hit them

Top Bottom