Movies / TV Shows!

+
After seeing it in action, I am actually starting to come around to the Ghost in the Shell live action movie. Oddly enough.

Have to wait and see, so long as they haven't turned it into a brainless action movie I'll be okay. I like the Japanese-Blade Runnery look of it.

Anything GitS is fine with me apart from Arise which was bleddy awful.

After seeing it in action, I am actually starting to come around to the Ghost in the Shell live action movie. Oddly enough.

Have to wait and see, so long as they haven't turned it into a brainless action movie I'll be okay. I like the Japanese-Blade Runnery look of it.

Anything GitS is fine with me apart from Arise which was bleddy awful.

Looks like it could go either way to be honest. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but while I like they've at least made Scarlett Johansson look somewhat Japanese, I'm very distrustful of Hollywood directors and studios.

Looks like it could go either way to be honest. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but while I like they've at least made Scarlett Johansson look somewhat Japanese, I'm very distrustful of Hollywood directors and studios.

Well Arise was all Japanese and they messed it all up themselves, so a turn back towards the lovely aesthetics and philosophical roots of the series would be amazing.
Just hope they don't dumb it down to yet another action movie for a western audience.

Well Arise was all Japanese and they messed it all up themselves, so a turn back towards the lovely aesthetics and philosophical roots of the series would be amazing.
Just hope they don't dumb it down to yet another action movie for a western audience.

I'm not sure western studios consider their audience intelligent enough for such things, I mean look at all the shit they keep churning out. I really hope you're right, but I think a considerable amount of caution is required here.

Fuck I sound like such a whiner. :D

Love the original GITS movie (one of my alltime favorites) but I never got into the SAC series. They weren't bad but lacked the whole ominous "end of the world" atmosphere that was in the movie which made it for me.

That trailer looks surprisingly good but I'll probably skip it, and just watch the original movie again. :)

Scarlett Johansson is the shittiest choice I can imagine for the Major. Fuck Hollywood and their cronyism. Seriously, what would have been wrong with casting a lead Asian actress just once?

Last edited:
Might give this a shot after all depending on how well key moments and sequences (opening 'assassination' scene including 'assembly' sequence, hacker chase and apprehension, spider tank battle and merging with the puppet master) have been translated into live-action. IF they've made it at all.
Studio's probably aiming for a PG-13 with this one.

In other, fairly old news:

Finished "The Man in the High Castle" recently. Boy, we were bored out of our heads. Both my husband and I had read the book a while ago and thought we'd give the show a shot. There were some good moments but it boils down to a wasted opportunity. Boring, flat and outrageously stupid characters except for John Smith and trade minister Tagomi (and maybe the Japanese inspector, he seems to be pretty badass), lots of useless stuff added (like the "marshall" who hunts people down and just vanishes from the show after two or three episodes - good riddance, what an annoying guy...) that doesn't do anything for the show. The cultural and spiritual inclinations of various characters that make Dick's book so great are not really explored, only brushed lightly so that they can be used as a vehicle. The best thing about the first season was that in the final episode, they showed Castle Hohenwerfen where my husband and I got married. Oh, and Rufus Sewell is awesome :)

Got around to watching Deadpool. Thought it was very good :) , though after hearing it was a "hard-R" or whatever that means, I'm disappointed by the lack of wild and silly Mortal Kombat chop-suey. O well, Ryan Reynalds is glorious :ice: Even snuck in a Basil Fawlty reference. A Wham!/10

This film was done by students of Animation and VFX Course organised by Platige Image and CD Projekt RED.

Just finished the first episode myself.
Off to a very good start, I'd say.

The saloon piano playing these old timey renditions of 'Black Hole Sun' and 'Paint It Black' was a particularly nice touch.

Been watching Luke Cage, really good. Great soundtrack and a Superhero who is actually interesting. The Netflix originals (and Deadpool) seem to be the only properties I like from Disney-Marvel.

Been watching Luke Cage, really good. Great soundtrack and a Superhero who is actually interesting. The Netflix originals (and Deadpool) seem to be the only properties I like from Disney-Marvel.

They're likable probably because they're the only ones around trying something different for a change. :p

Top Bottom