Music from The Witcher series of games available soon on Spotify, Apple Music, and Google Play Music!

+
I wonder what would prevent them from doing it? Is it a problem with the artists, or some issue with CDPR? I doubt that it's the later, and if it's the former, may be we should reach out to artists directly and ask what prevents from from releasing it on GOG or Bandcamp. I hope it's not some kind of exclusivity contracts. Those can be nasty attempts of distributors to ban competing services.

By the way, what exactly is part of the extended soundtrack? Just singles or more?

It may be a business decision, motivated by profit; however, since I don't know precisely, I'll withhold judgement. As to the expanded content: the standard CD soundtrack, from both the Collector's and Standard Retail Editions, contains 31 tracks. The ones, mp3 and FLAC, on GOG contain 35 tracks (4 bonus pieces). The extended version announced by Marcin is supposed to have 56 tracks (25 previously unavailable), including the two songs.

It may be a business decision, motivated by profit; however, since I don't know precisely, I'll withhold judgement.

Let's say you are correct. How exactly, do you think it could undermine their profits? They can offer extended parts for sale on GOG and Bandcamp. It would mean even more profit (since they'll reach more people).

Last edited:
Let's say you are correct. How exactly, do you think it could undermine their profits? They can offer extended parts for sale on GOG and Bandcamp. It would mean even more profit (since they'll reach more people).

Fair question. I've submitted the matter to GOG, so we shall see.

The extended version announced by Marcin is supposed to have 56 tracks (25 previously unavailable), including the two songs.

That seems right, it has 56 tracks except the two songs are sold separately as singles (Wolven Storm and Lullaby of Woe) so it's technically 27 previously unavailable.

It's a bit more complicated because Wolven Storm has seven versions, each in different language according to the localization and each one is sold separately. Kinda sucks they're not released as a single album... I get CDPR thought people'll buy their language version only which makes sense but still there are other versions that sound lovely, even better than the original Polish version (subjective thing)...

I'm still unsure how is paying a cut of sales to google and apple better than selling it on GOG...

I have all three Witcher games on GOG for two reasons, DRM free and it all goes to CDRED.

Indeed. And Apple hate FLAC. Not sure about Google Play but I don't think they sell music in FLAC either. GOG and Bandcamp do.

Pity. Maybe with enough requesting for it, it might happen. I have the tracks from the other series separately, but would buy the extended amalgamation soundtrack if it came as FLAC.

Hello,

please, can someone from CDPR or from the community here tell me the name of the theme from Harviken on Faroe as it is named in the now new published compilation of all ingame-tracks? Thanks.(Or it is even only named as "Theme of Harviken"?)

It may be a business decision, motivated by profit; however, since I don't know precisely, I'll withhold judgement. As to the expanded content: the standard CD soundtrack, from both the Collector's and Standard Retail Editions, contains 31 tracks. The ones, mp3 and FLAC, on GOG contain 35 tracks (4 bonus pieces). The extended version announced by Marcin is supposed to have 56 tracks (25 previously unavailable), including the two songs.

I suspect GOG will say they are just a distributor, and it's up to the owners to decide. I'm not sure who the owner is though. CDPR or music creators? We can try contacting Marcin Przybyłowicz to clarify.

This is just an assumption, like any other, but the songs that aren't in the bonus soundtrack (the 25 previously unreleased) might have a different terms of contract. CDPR might not have the full rights to those, unlike the bonus soundtracks, which CDPR has. The Wolven Storm is probably on a royalty based contract (royalty based on the amount of TW3 sales'). And Lullaby of Woe is licensed differently, since it's for a trailer and the trailer doesn't include the full song. And even though Marcin works with a company that has a DRM Free policy, that doesn't mean that Marcin is practicing the same policy. It is quite common that Marcin as a musician wants to have control over his works, and distributing his works through GOG might mean that it has the tendency to go out of his control (pirated). It's going to be more complicated if Marcin as a musician is in an agreement with a music label, which unfortunately I couldn't find the info anywhere on his site. And if that's the case, it's just a matter of time before he removed his songs on soundcloud after the release.

And again, this is just an assumption, and it's going to be nice if there's a clear statement regarding this. I dislike iTunes, and never play around Spotify, and my country is in Amazon's ban list for digital downloads. iTunes and Amazon are out of my list, so if I don't have other store options to buy, I prefer to stick on listening those on youtube.

And even though Marcin works with a company that has a DRM Free policy, that doesn't mean that Marcin is practicing the same policy. It is quite common that Marcin as a musician wants to have control over his works, and distributing his works through GOG might mean that it has the tendency to go out of his control (pirated).

Well, not to have a long discussion here, but DRM doesn't prevent any piracy as known (it actually increases it). So it can't be the reason for Marcin to avoid GOG or Bandcamp.

It's going to be more complicated if Marcin as a musician is in an agreement with a music label, which unfortunately I couldn't find the info anywhere on his site. .

That indeed can be an issue, since "labels" (i.e. music publishers) can be obsessed with DRM for no good reasons, same as other kinds of publishers are.

I'll try contacting Marcin directly to clarify.

Well, not to have a long discussion here, but DRM doesn't prevent any piracy as known (it actually increases it). So it can't be the reason for Marcin to avoid GOG or Bandcamp.

That indeed can be an issue, since "labels" (i.e. music publishers) can be obsessed with DRM for no good reasons, same as other kinds of publishers are.

I'll try contacting Marcin directly to clarify.

I'm totally agree with you regarding DRM. Totally. But too bad, because not everybody share our point of view.

He was talking about the OTHER Marcin, you do realise that, don't you?

There are three different "Marcin" in this forum, and unfortunately the one I was talking about has the hardest surname to write. And I guess Gilrond did realise that I was talking about Marcin Przybylowicz. Now you made me write that off.

Anyways, I asked him directly on his Facebook page and here's his answer, it's not much different from what RivenII said in earlier posts, goes like this :

"...thanks for your kind words, appreciate it. Distribution of The Witcher soundtrack is controlled by CDPR, not by me. It's up to them where the soundtrack lands, so I'd suggest asking them directly (official feedback channel perhaps?). FYI, apart from iTunes and Spotify, your can grab the soundtrack also on Tidal, Deezer and Google Play."

So now we know that CDPR was granted full rights to all of the soundtracks (that includes all the previously unreleased 25). So my question to CDPR now becomes :

1. Why don't just include all of them songs as an additional bonus soundtracks?
2. Why decide to sell them now? Which is okay, you must have your reasons, but then again...
3. Why not on GOG? Is there any conflict whatsoever regarding your policy?

Whatever it is, I'd still be looking for a good place to buy it.

He was talking about the OTHER Marcin, you do realise that, don't you?

I think we are both talking about Marcin Przybyłowicz here. Sorry for confusion :)

---------- Updated at 12:02 PM ----------

Anyways, I asked him directly on his Facebook page and here's his answer, it's not much different from what RivenII said in earlier posts, goes like this :

"...thanks for your kind words, appreciate it. Distribution of The Witcher soundtrack is controlled by CDPR, not by me. It's up to them where the soundtrack lands, so I'd suggest asking them directly (official feedback channel perhaps?). FYI, apart from iTunes and Spotify, your can grab the soundtrack also on Tidal, Deezer and Google Play."

So now we know that CDPR was granted full rights to all of the soundtracks (that includes all the previously unreleased 25). So my question to CDPR now becomes :

Thanks, that clarifies a few things. And since as you said CDPR controls it, my question would be similar to yours:

Why not sell it on GOG and other DRM-free services like Bandcamp, which also enable offering FLAC versions?

The rest doesn't really bother me (i.e. selling vs. free soundtracks and etc.).

---------- Updated at 12:04 PM ----------

@dixxn: Thinking of it, may be it's a good idea to contact CDPR business department, may be they'll have more detailed answer and reasons. I.e. biz@cdprojektred.com

After some waiting, I've had a reply from GOG.com to my question regarding the soundtrack: Unfortunately, there are no current plans to include the expanded version as an extra to Wild Hunt, nor to make it available as a separate item in their catalogue. Rather disappointing, I admit, but at least now we know.

That's a shame. In the end I bought the two songs from Google Play - don't need an account other than my existing Gmail, so that was okay. 320kbs if anyone is wondering, so that's okay, but jeez, Google make it hard for you to download tracks, even through Chrome.

That's a shame. In the end I bought the two songs from Google Play - don't need an account other than my existing Gmail, so that was okay. 320kbs if anyone is wondering, so that's okay, but jeez, Google make it hard for you to download tracks, even through Chrome.

So is it DRMed there or not? I don't use Chrome (only Firefox). And do they offer FLAC versions?

Top Bottom