Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Geralt is somewhat... err... "plasticish"

How? Prove it, do some comparisons of your own over the polygons and effects, I am tired of people saying "ERRMERRGERRD DOWNGRADED!", prove that it is downgraded and people will accept your view.

I just want that PC version is not castrated because of consoles.

Sure, but how would it be castrated if they are developed separately? This is not Ubisoft we are talking about over here, just the mere fact that the console versions look as good as they do is a good omen to the PC version, my opinion of course.

Last edited:
(GT)

I do not deny that some elements are downgraded. I'm just pointing out that if we do not know what was missing. Many things could not be implemented, so what already existed looked great. Optimization is not magic, just a balancing act between what is possible and what is not.

Terrible comparison to make: Geralt outside with terrible compression vs Geralt inside with less terrible comparison.
maybe compare it to this? http://i4.minus.com/i3odmLsiNRHkP.jpg
The new Geralt is somewhat... err... "plasticish"

I guess that the new Geralt looks "plasticish" because he is wet?... doesn't that way looks everybody in real life too?
And just please stop defending the scenes from older trailers because "horrible compression" and such, because you have even older screens with sharpening filter on and because of that they look really bad.. sharpening filter shoudn't be a thing in games, ever.. yeah, not everything is looking great or good in the newest trailers, screens but when someone is trying to prove a point about great graphics and use for that Crysis 2, which has overall great graphics, espec. with the dx11 patch, but come on - that game has so many textures which look like something from a game from 2004 and worse, than I can't take him seriously.. Crysis 2 is not the right game when talking about games with best graphics

Last edited:
So I watched the latest video and in my personal opinion (and I stress the term 'personal opinion'...this is purely a subjective thing here ) that the graphics look worse than the earlier videos in 2013.

Some are claiming that it was console footage but my question is: why show great PC footage in 2013 and suddenly revert to poor console footage for 2015? That makes no sense at all. If CDProjekt Red wanted to make a recovery from the previous video PR disaster why would they show console footage to further the fires of those screaming 'OMG it's a downgrade'? wouldn't it have been better PR to have shown PC footage at it's max to alleviate those fears? Right now everything they are doing and showing is pointing to a downgrade and like I said above...this is pure speculation and a subjective opinion but at the same time they haven't done or said anything to disprove that fear at all.

I'm really getting worried here...I trust CDProjekt Red to the extent that I preordered the collectors edition a year ago so im hoping they don't pull a watchdogs on us.

Last edited:
I just want that PC version is not castrated because of consoles.

---------- Updated at 02:35 PM ----------

There is a terrible lack of shaders in that image.
At least, compare it with Geralt from VGX trailer.
Yep I was actually about to say that Geralt character was improved in VGX
How? Prove it, do some comparisons of your own over the polygons and effects, I am tired of people saying "ERRMERRGERRD DOWNGRADED!", prove that it is downgraded and people will accept your view.
OK here it goes: look at how the Geralt body parts connect with one another, specifically the shadows (most apparent in his left arm, under the shoulder).
Also look at his stomach, it's simply isn't a color of a skin

That is because he just came out of a bath, wet skin looks like that under the right dim light.

OK here it goes: look at how the Geralt body parts connect with one another, specifically the shadows (most apparent in his left arm, under the shoulder).

Which picture are you talking about? Just to be clear :p

I guess that the new Geralt looks "plasticish" because he is wet?... doesn't that way looks everybody in real life too?
And just please defending the scenes from older trailers because "horrible compression" and such, because you have even older screens with sharpening filter on and because of that they look really bad.. sharpening filter shoudn't be a thing in games, ever.. yeah, not everything is looking great or good in the newest trailers, screens but when someone is trying to prove a point about great graphics and use for that Crysis 2, which has overall great graphics, espec. with the dx11 patch, but come on - that game has so many textures which look like something from a game from 2004 and worse, than I can't take him seriously.. Crysis 2 is not the right game when talking about games with best graphics

This, imo the best thing I did with TW2 is to set AllowSharpen=0 in ini.txt (because of the dithering in Floatsam at first, but i left it later because I loved it more that way)
And imo, one of the (many) best thing CDPR did with TW3 is to drop the sharpen all-together as we can see from post-E3 trailer materials.

Also, some people either never saw a moderately fit/ripped body getting out of bath or shower, or they aren't too familiar with the habit of taking one too if they find anything strange with that half-naked Geralt look. It IS (not imo) one of the best (but IMO the best) looking wet surface/skin effect I have witnessed so far in a game. Nothing fake/unnatural about that.

Last edited:
look at how the Geralt body parts connect with one another, specifically the shadows (most apparent in his left arm, under the shoulder).
What you're describing sounds like what is one of the biggest problems with SSAO, it's inaccurate, it overshadows and adds 'halos' around characters. Take any SSAO game and it has that, Witcher 2 being one example, the implementation is generally good but SSAO does that all the time.

As for the skin, he's a mutant with no skin pigmentation which would mean his blood 'shines through' his skin(it is also wet) and the fact that it's rendered using PBR means it's the most accurate it can be with current real-time rendering technology.

I don't understand some of you, guys.... Here crying for downgrade graphics based in screenshot that haven't been made nor generated in your PC... and there crying because the speccs of system requierements are madly high!

What do you want?

This! Thank you Wichat :)

...after the 15 minute demo on Monday...

Wait, did I miss something? I know about the embargo but have absolutely no clue about any new 15 minute gameplay. Could you provide source,pls? Because it it is true then you just made my weekend a lot worse :D

Aaaaaand sory for off topic

I think if they make a gameplay video on pc with ultra settings, pc exclusive features on etc. It would stop this guessing game about a downgrade.

I don't understand some of you, guys.... Here crying for downgrade graphics based in screenshot that haven't been made nor generated in your PC... and there crying because the speccs of system requierements are madly high!

What do you want?

I have no problem with the graphics as they are now, but the Witcher generated a lot of hype in the last 2 years thanks in large part to amazing graphics seen in the trailers. If the final game doesn't match those, it's dishonest marketing and should be called out. That might sound like a big accusation but it has been very common in the industry lately. CDPR might be better than most but they're not above criticism.

the game look great, probably the most beautiful open world i ever see, so i don't care about downgrade or not. If the gameplay is great and the story too, the rest is just a bonus.

If the final game doesn't match those, it's dishonest marketing and should be called out. That might sound like a big accusation but it has been very common in the industry lately. CDPR might be better than most but they're not above criticism.

I think everyone will agree with you on this. Problem is neither side of this conflict have proof of downgrade/no downgrade. All we have right now are speculations..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom