[PC] Cutscene FPS drop

+
I have the same issue. Game plays great and regular cutscenes play fine (ciri jumping on posts, geralt taking a bath, scaring off Griffin). But anything pre rendered like opening cutscene, title screen, ciri cuting head off dummy, plays at 20-23 fps. None of the ini fixes work for me. It really sucks. Hope their are not a bunch of pre rendered scenes throughout the game or I'll hafta shelve this masterpiece.

I have a i7 3820 like a few others have posted. Using a gtx 970. Sounds like xbone has same issue so hopefully a fix is incoming.

Wish they didn't use any pre rendered cutscenes. The stuttering in these makes dragon age inquisition look smooth as silk.

I upgdare my bios, codecs, drivers (3 times), RAD Tools, MotherBoard drivers, NET. Framework, DirectX, nothing help.... 23 fps in menu and movies and load screen. My PC silent as ninja, GPU load 0-4%.... and only in game i have 65-71 fps on Ultra with Hairworks OFF and GPU load 99%. Damn. CD Project RED, pls hear us!

Try setting frame-rate to unlimited in graphics settings. Stopped all my issues, weirdly enough. Been recommending it on some tech support threads to see if it works for anyone else.

Ok fist reviewed my overclock settings and memory . got to 29fps instead of 27-29

then tried some of these
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36088-A-compendium-of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-PC-version
5. Tweak your GPU Control Panel settings for maximum performance and visual fidelityOnly Power Management Mode: only (Prefer maximum performance + full screen mode)
6. Fix poor framerate and crashes with NVIDIA GPUs by disabling the NVIDIA Streamer Service
7. Improve cutscene framerates and force them to run at 60 FPS
8. Set your maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 for increased gameplay smoothness
9. Set the "Witcher3.exe" process to "High Priority" in Task Manager to win some extra frames-per-second

I know some of these have nothing to do with the problem... but i am tired ... so tried all and fuc$it lest's play : P
Now cutscenes run a little better. the intro runs at 29-30 +30 most of the time... still not the same as the intro we see in the youtube video : P

Last edited:
Ok fist reviewed my overclock settings and memory . got to 29fps instead of 27-29then tried some of thesehttp://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36088-A-compendium-of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-PC-version5. Tweak your GPU Control Panel settings for maximum performance and visual fidelityOnly Power Management Mode: Prefer maximum performance + full screen mode.6. Fix poor framerate and crashes with NVIDIA GPUs by disabling the NVIDIA Streamer Service7. Improve cutscene framerates and force them to run at 60 FPS8. Set your maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 for increased gameplay smoothness9. Set the "Witcher3.exe" process to "High Priority" in Task Manager to win some extra frames-per-secondI know some of these have nothing to do with the problem but i am tired ... so tried all.Now cutscenes run better . the intro runs at 29-30 , 30 most of the time... still not the same as the intro we see in the youtube video : P

I'm not entirely sure you understand the issue. These are pre-rendered cut-scenes. They are basically movies. Adjusting graphical settings should not, and will not affect the performance of videos.

---------- Updated at 11:08 PM ----------

Try setting frame-rate to unlimited in graphics settings. Stopped all my issues, weirdly enough. Been recommending it on some tech support threads to see if it works for anyone else.

It hadn't occurred to me to try this. Will give it a go tonight and let you know the results.

Changing it to unlimited did nothing to fix my issues (i also implemented the movie fps 60 and ubersampling=false in the ini file and nada.

Changing it to unlimited did nothing to fix my issues (i also implemented the movie fps 60 and ubersampling=false in the ini file and nada.

The fixes with the user.settings.ini also did not help my predicament. Changing the display setting to windowed borderless made them watchable, but they still skip every now and then. Seems that it's entirely dependent on your particular configuration and settings.

@Candlemaster V-Sync off as well? Anyways, what I did exactly was; Starting with Ultra settings, I turned off some post processing like anti-aliasing (which is *almost* unnoticeable in this game, will be after a few minutes unless your an ultra whore like me) but kept HBOA+, set Background people to Low (seemed like a waist on ultra since i would never see 150 people on screen at one time anyways), turned off V-Sync and Set Frames on Unlimited. No .ini tweaks of any-kind. Videos no longer stutter, no inventory freezes. Played the game for about 5 hours today solid. Maybe this will help you, maybe not. I still hit F5 to quicksave every couple minutes though, just in case.

---------- Updated at 12:40 AM ----------

Cant edit for some reason, might be my browser. To clarify, The post processing effects where set to my preference and not to try and fix the game.

Same thing is going on with me I get around 15 fps during Pre-rendered Cut scenes & the Main Menu.the only thing that fixed it was to uninstall the latest driver from nvidia however none of the drivers that came out this year seem to stop itthe only one that did was from 2014 now its cool that it fixes the low fps during Pre-rendered Cut scenes but its a really old driverand I would prefer to use the latest one since it is optimized for Witcher 3.

same here, patch 1.03 and still have low fps and sometimes low sound in pre rendered cutscenes :/

Please fix it cdprojekt

---------- Updated at 04:32 PM ----------

Same thing is going on with me I get around 15 fps during Pre-rendered Cut scenes & the Main Menu.the only thing that fixed it was to uninstall the latest driver from nvidia however none of the drivers that came out this year seem to stop itthe only one that did was from 2014 now its cool that it fixes the low fps during Pre-rendered Cut scenes but its a really old driverand I would prefer to use the latest one since it is optimized for Witcher 3.

There's obviously a problem with Nvidia drivers, don't know if they're working on it.

nothing changed for me too and none of the workarounds is working. its quite annoying playing with mixed settings (medium/high) @60fps and whenever one of the pre-rendered cutscenes is running i drop to 19fps and my GPU is used with about 7%

i try to answer the questions CDPR was asking:

​1. A detailed description of what your problem is (what happens, where it occurs in the game, the more details the better) along with screenshots or video of the problem if possible.
2. The platform you game on (PC, Playstation 4 or Xbox One). This is the PC support forum, if you are having a console issue, please post in the correct console sub-forum.
3. If it is on PC, please include your system specs.
4. How often it occurs. (every time I do X, only once, 3 or 4 times, it blocks my progress, etc)..

1: whenever a pre-rendered cutscene is running my frames drop from about
60 fps to 19 fps while my GPU usage is at 7-8%.

2: PC

3: i5-2500 + GTX970 (msi gameing) with newest nvidia driver, 8GB Ram, windows 7 64bit
also the newest witcher 3 patch is installed (v1.03)

4. always as soon as a pre-rendered cutscene is being played- those scenes include (so far):

the comic-like opening speech,
the title screen,
the intro movie with yennefer batteling the enemy army,
geralts vision about the wild hunt at the end of the tutorial,
every other comic-like cutscenes like the summaries after loading a saved game,
the cutscene when geralt and yennefer are being hunted by the wild hunter after finishing the first area (white orchard)

so thats as far as i got, but i bet future pre-rendered cutscenes will behave the same way..
hope this get fixed soon..its quite annoying

Last edited:
Still happens for me in the comic-book like ones, but seems to be okay in the intro movie. The patch didn't fix this in full screen mode, I still need to be in windowed borderless for it to even be watchable.

Last edited:
Not sure about it however in some configuration file I found this
MovieFramerate=30.0

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but can confirm this works, been using it for days. Completely removes cutscene stutter. The only ones that don't seem to be affected are some of the paper cut scenes (might just be the loading screen ones)

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but can confirm this works, been using it for days. Completely removes cutscene stutter. The only ones that don't seem to be affected are some of the paper cut scenes (might just be the loading screen ones)

pls stop confirming anything for all of us.. at least say it is working for you.
like i said: IT IS NOT WORKING FOR ME and many others...

so CDPR this problem still exits

Top Bottom