People want Gwent as a Standalone Game

+
Dear All,

We are looking closely at your suggestions but currently we have no immediate plans for a boxed edition of Gwent. So sadly nothing to be announced at this time.
The game was designed as a mini game for W3 and for questing it makes sense. There are many things that we would have to address in the design for this to be a good stand alone game.

Keep the conversation going so we can see the great community feedback and many thanks that you are vocal about Gwent :)

Dear All,

We are looking closely at your suggestions but currently we have no immediate plans for a boxed edition of Gwent. So sadly nothing to be announced at this time.
The game was designed as a mini game for W3 and for questing it makes sense. There are many things that we would have to address in the design for this to be a good stand alone game.

Keep the conversation going so we can see the great community feedback and many thanks that you are vocal about Gwent :)

Put it on Kickstarter (money where your mouth is concept) first to see how much demand there is for it. Will prevent CDPRO from losing time and money in development...

Last edited:
Dear All,

I have to agree, it's a good minigame but there's not much depth, and there would have to be a serious rules revamp for it to be a viable standalone game, otherwise every game would last only a couple minutes at the longest and everyone would just have the best cards in their decks.

Put it on Kickstarter (money where your mouth is concept) first to see how much demand there is for it. Will prevent CDPRO from losing time and money in development...

Except they are then losing time (and therefore money, as time is money) on working on the Kickstarter. Kickstarters are not something you throw up and forget about until they're done like an eBay auction, you have to constantly update them, think of new goals, answer questions, possibly give interviews about the Kickstarter, etc...

You also have to plan ahead of time for if it's successful. Who will produce the game, how will they ship the product and any additional stuff? With any rules changes, how will they organize playtesting so they know everything works well before the Kickstarter is made?

Last edited:
I have to agree, it's a good minigame but there's not much depth, and there would have to be a serious rules revamp for it to be a viable standalone game, otherwise every game would last only a couple minutes at the longest and everyone would just have the best cards in their decks.

I agree, the game is fun, but it is small in scope. For it to work as a standalone game there ought to be a serious revamping regarding the rules; more rounds. a LOT more cards, for the game to last longer and to add dept to the game. More buffs and debuffs and special cards is an option. Maybe a "support" row for medics and such. Little combat animations would also be fun, or voice acted one liners from the cards and the leaders when you use them. More leaders would also work (ex. Radovid and Vizimir for northern realms, etc...).Maybe if you upped the game to 5 rounds and add a card draw for each faction per round and start the game with 12 or 15 cards...

Love gwent but I'd rather buy it as a tabletop/card game. With a nice board that seperates each player's unit sections etc. Also some rules that will make the decks relatively balanced, like for example each player may choose 3 unique cards. One from the faction and 2 neutral... and so on.

Except they are then losing time (and therefore money, as time is money) on working on the Kickstarter. Kickstarters are not something you throw up and forget about until they're done like an eBay auction, you have to constantly update them, think of new goals, answer questions, possibly give interviews about the Kickstarter, etc...

You also have to plan ahead of time for if it's successful. Who will produce the game, how will they ship the product and any additional stuff? With any rules changes, how will they organize playtesting so they know everything works well before the Kickstarter is made?

Kickstarter in this case is all about reputation. Did you see Brian Fargo's selling point on Wasteland 2? Not a single line of code was introduced in his selling point youtube video on WL2 gameplay. Stead he focused on his past accomplishments at Interplay or in this case CDPRO will be using ingame material from W3. Once he hit his target, Fargo realized the demand was there and started development

I would love to see it as a mobile game. Where you can add your contacts and play people you know or just be randomly matched with someone. Each time someone plays a card it would just wait for the other person on their phone to make a move. Maybe come up with a starter deck and then every time you win a game you just get a random card. Even once everyone has all the cards it is random what will be drawn in a hand and you are playing against another person not a computer so I think it would stay interesting.

Dear All,

This is exactly what I've been thinking all along. The game is pretty rigidly structured around the idea of there being a limited number of cards that you can obtain. Any physical version would need some major design changes to accommodate the lack of supply limitations.

Tuco

Forum veteran
While I love Gwent as a minigame, I don't feel it would stand as an isolated experience. If anything, because decks are WAY too subject to imbalance according to what cards you collected.

See, if you take Magic, for instance, even cards which are generally considered more powerful typically have a much higher cost of use. In Gwent as it is now, you have cards which are blatantly more powerful than others with absolutely no trade-off/downside.

Gwent as a multiplayer feature

I saw a forum post about making Gwent a stand alone game. Would it not be easier to simply make it a multiplayer feature so that our in game progress and gwent collection can be used...thus tie in our in game progress? I can understand some of the hurdles that would be faced by making Witcher a multiplayer game, but it would be great to have gwent as a multiplayer feature. I would certainly spent a buy this as a DLC option.

---------- Updated at 01:07 PM ----------

A DLC could also introduce new cards and ways to obtain cards.

Tho I would not recommend a gamble feature in which you put your own cards up against others because I could see that feature being abused. Since this is an offline game (i.e. no live server), players will simply bet a card, lose it, then hard exit and reload a previous save to get their card back. Basically, players will be duplicating cards or recovering files to get back lost cards thus ruining the economy of competitive gwent.

Gvint on mobile platforms

Hi everybody! I really happy with all the witcher series. I have been playing without a stops for a long time and it's the best game, ever.
As I heard there will not be another volume of this series, but I really hope that at least CD Project RED can provide a mobile apps(or not only mobile apps:D) with GVINT. It's really cool. I know that mainstream is HeartStone. But, really, I do not like it. And I think that I am not alone with that.
Maybe developers can make people like me happy?) what do you think about that?
P.S. Great thanks for your work!

I wonder if people would still like Gwent if they were getting their ass handed to them by human players.

It has been impossible for me to lose a game since I got all my hero cards, decoy, spy etc for Northern realms.

Some decks can just be OP if you build them right.

MP Gwent in game would be cool.

This is the one time in all of gaming where I would actually appreciate a companion APP

Usually I hate those little smart phone add-ins. They seem so incredibly forced and just scream money making scheme. But a Gwent app, where I can use my TW3 deck to play against other human players? YES, PLEASE!

Still think a boxed edition with some rules tweaks would be perfect... Fantasy Flight would surely be all over it, if you proposed it. Kickstarter could work too, of course.

Count me in, I'd be happy to play standalone gwent even in its current state without possible refinements for separate relese

Top Bottom