Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Volsung said:
M4xw0lf: if you like the general concept behind XCOM EU/EW, you should try Expeditions: Conquistador. It's a crowdfunded strategy/cRPG hybrid that kicks XCOM in the balls when it comes to actual turn-based combat (and narration).
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind for when I'm done with XCOM. :)
€: it's even on GoG, full of win ^^

And a couple of quick questions.

Botanicula - if I'm bored after 30 minutes, am I likely to stop being bored if I keep playing? It's a sweet game, but I get the feeling it isn't for me.

Crusader Kings II - can anyone recommend a really good introductory tutorial video?

eskiMoe said:
Is Risen 2 worth it?
It's shit. Don't waste your time. It's the pirate RPG right? If yes, then don't waste a second on it.

I'd suggest Black Flag instead. Now THAT is how you do a pirate game!

eskiMoe said:
And a couple of quick questions.

Botanicula - if I'm bored after 30 minutes, am I likely to stop being bored if I keep playing? It's a sweet game, but I get the feeling it isn't for me.

Crusader Kings II - can anyone recommend a really good introductory tutorial video?
Give up on Botanicula mate. It simply isn't for you - and that's ok :) It's by Amanita Studio right? They're very niche oriented. Which isn't bad at all. But I fear that because their design is a bit lacking, it's even more off putting for people.

Hell, I love Machinarium! But I still haven't beaten it. Too much obnoxious point and click puzzle solving that relies to much on arbitrarily pressing on every milimeter of your screen rather than logic. Botanicula is pretty much the same thing...

So my advice is: Give up on it and move on. I recommend Hotline Miami or Papers, Please if you want a steller indie experience :)

Parachrist said:
Creepy trailer;):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXg10tfvho

I loved Dead Island and now I'm waiting for Dying Light. Techland is a reliable developer(Call of Juarez BiB, Gunslinger, Dead Island). Dying Light looks great, color palette reminds me a bit of The Walking Dead(TV series).
Whoah whoah whoah woooooooooooooow there mate! Techland. They made Gunslinger, one of my top 25 games of all time AND that piece of shit Dead Island???

No, no, no, no, no. I refuse to believe this. Wikipedia, save my sanity, please!

*Googling Techland*

Oh.. my... god...

Well. I don't know what to say. That's a developer that has as many games that I hate as I love. Gunslinger is phenomenal. Bound in Blood was pretty good. But for fuck sake! The Cartel and Dead Island? If I was part of the development team behind those games, I'd jump off a building rather than acknowledge the fact that I had something to do with them.

Well, this is awkward. I'll keep one half-open eye on Dying Light. But that's it.

FoggyFishburne said:
Give up on Botanicula mate. It simply isn't for you - and that's ok :)/> It's by Amanita Studio right? They're very niche oriented. Which isn't bad at all. But I fear that because their design is a bit lacking, it's even more off putting for people.

Hell, I love Machinarium! But I still haven't beaten it. Too much obnoxious point and click puzzle solving that relies to much on arbitrarily pressing on every milimeter of your screen rather than logic. Botanicula is pretty much the same thing...

So my advice is: Give up on it and move on. I recommend Hotline Miami or Papers, Please if you want a steller indie experience :)/>

Thanks. I like puzzle games, but I prefer the kind where you sit staring at the screen for an hour trying to figure something out, rather than the pressing every millimeter of the screen type.

Hotline Miami may be of interest.

FoggyFishburne said:
I'd suggest Black Flag instead. Now THAT is how you do a pirate game!
Ugh. Maybe when I can get it for a fiver. Looks really great piratey-wise from what I've seen but if it has the gameplay mechanics of an AC game, I'm not interested.

eskiMoe said:
Ugh. Maybe when I can get it for a fiver. Looks really great piratey-wise from what I've seen but if it has the gameplay mechanics of an AC game, I'm not interested.

Yeh, pirate stuff is pretty fun, but than there are those boring copy paste missions like eavesdroping and all that AC crap UBI still thinks is fun to play.
But if you dont notice those its pretty good as a pirate game.

Anyone else received key for Elders Scrolls Online Beta that takes place this coming weekend?

@Up
You are lucky guy im waiting for your impressions.

Haha, that was a rage :D Come on m8 Dead Island is not so bad :p I mean, it have some flaws(like VO) but i love this contradiction: fabulous views and bunch of ugly zombies chasing you ;)

Parachrist said:
@Up
You are lucky guy im waiting for your impressions.

I wont be playing a lot, busy. I need to read terms and cond. again I think it was writen recording beta videos is not allowed.

dragonbird said:

I think this could be a good starting point. Though I haven't watched it, the ratings indicate that it is a helpful tutorial. The video is already nearly a year old, so it doesn't cover the newer DLCs, which have introduced a ton of new gameplay elements.
The channel of this guy has a bunch of further CK2 tutorials on various game mechanics:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Eviscerator03/search?query=Crusader+Kings

SkycladGuardian said:
I think this could be a good starting point. Though I haven't watched it, the ratings indicate that it is a helpful tutorial. The video is already nearly a year old, so it doesn't cover the newer DLCs, which have introduced a ton of new gameplay elements.
The channel of this guy has a bunch of further CK2 tutorials on various game mechanics:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Eviscerator03/search?query=Crusader+Kings

Thanks, I'll check it out

Once you get those basics down it all comes to you. I was severely overwhelmed by the whole dynasty mechanic at first, keeping pages on my noble house. Claims can get odd and I'm no expert on those weird ones. Such as the Duchess of Lancaster from the Anglo-Saxon branch of my house(which I had no idea existed, my guess is it came form the Norwegian branch) anyways she petitioned me to help her overthrow Norwegian rule of England in favour of some old hag queen. I destroyed Norway, got a claim on England, then took it for myself.

My personal advice:
-Try to keep Duchies to a minimum, they'll band together. Same for Kingdoms if you're ruling an Empire.

-If you're an imperial or royal monarch you can have two duchies, try to have them next to each other. You can risk three with some discontent among vassals. You can rule a sort of Grand Duchy with four duchies if you have no title above a ducal. I.E. Tuscany in vanilla game.

-Marrying a regnant monarch is as good as it can get, but as bad as it can get as well. They will almost always answer the call to war, but they will call you often too.

-Speaking of war. You can easily still commit to a call and go to war without actually fighting.

-Advice almost anyone gives. Play as county of Dublin first.

Finally i got to play Metro Last Light, and boy, it's fantastic.. yeah, i wish for a new STALKER style game, but for what Metro is (mostly linear FPS game), it does so much things right.. the atmosphere, gameplay, music, story, characters (most of them are very good writen), dialogs, the PACING, .. just great.. ohh, and the graphics are not too shabby, either :) ..overall far better experience than BioShock Infinite (which has only better story than Metro LL).. this game just reminded me why i loved so much Half-Life 2

What is also a fun way to play CK2, after you've got the hang of it, is to roleplay your character. Which basically means that you look at the stats of him/her, and play the game appropriatly. You may not gain a huge empire this way, but this isn't the main goal of the game anyway :)

SkycladGuardian said:
What is also a fun way to play CK2, after you've got the hang of it, is to roleplay your character. Which basically means that you look at the stats of him/her, and play the game appropriatly. You may not gain a huge empire this way, but this isn't the main goal of the game anyway :)/>

Well the great thing about their games is you create your own goals. My first real game I had De Jure: Poland, Lithuania, Pomerania, Finland, Hungary, Sweden, Norway, Ruthenia, The Papacy, The Penchenegs, and parts of Rus' under the banner of the Wendish Empire. At one point I had England until they started getting discontent with me. My two biggest rivals were Cumania who I paid tribute to through three Emperors until Karol I 'The Great' had enough.

The other was HRE who viewed me as a as a friend but they to me as a threat. I installed my bloodline into their nobility. My then current son was voted Emperor and I had him assassinated. I inherited it, created the de jure royal titles, gave them off to the Germans and Italians. And that's how I dismantled my rival.

But that was just one game where I wanted to see how big I could grow my Empire.

So yes it is very easy to immerse yourself/roleplay in that wonderful game. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom