(POLL) Your favorite female character in The Witcher 2!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourites are Saskia, Triss, Ves and Anezka.

Was disappointed in Triss in TW2 as she appears to very weak in the game compared to all the other sorceresses, she had a much stronger personality in TW1.

I like Saskia so far but not sure who to vote for so will come back at a later date.

What about TW1 girls or is this TW2 related only and if that is the case are the girls in the options all in the game?

Prince12 said:
Saskia for me :)

Shouldn't there be a 'Favourtie Male character' poll too?

We have it, but it dropped off the first page :]

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22955-your-favourite-male-character-poll/

My favorite is Triss, but she's so integral to the story, that she's got a natural advantage over some of the others. Really, I can't think of a single female character that I don't enjoy for one reason or another. Well done, CDPR!

Dona said:
We have it, but it dropped off the first page :]

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22955-your-favourite-male-character-poll/
Yep. Thanks Dona
I was about to say that it's been buried by the amount of new posts opened every days :D

pomor said:
None. There was really no female character I'd would like to meet in real life.
I do know that there are people who prefere so called "strong women". And I am OK with that. The problem is, the Witcher games, it caters only to that particular fetish.
I, for one, strongly dislike independent women. I prefere women that need to be cared for. And there is not a single woman, in the witcher games, that I'd like to have anything to do with.

Aaah, now I get it. Years of emancipation and the whole work of feminist movements serves this one purpose: to tickle the fancies of a particular type of fetishist men. Silly me, I thought it was about independence from the rules of desirability and masculine approval.
Unless you're trying to say the writers stick too much to one pattern (I'd disagree with it anyway). But if it's like that, you're using a very awkward way of phrasing it.

Now back to the topic. I can't decide, so I'll enumerate my favourites.
Philippa. A brilliantly written and memorable character (nice to look at as well). I hated her when I learned about her manipulation, but couldn't help but admire her overall coolness and control. Intelligent and ruthless, she's the kind of the bad guy (girl) we love to loathe with a shade of fascination. Great style and composure, whether she was getting caught in flagranti with Cynthia or blinded in prison.

Rather unrealistic and slightly over-the-top, but so is Saskia, only at the extreme end of the spectrum. Crystalline purity and the incarnation of good intentions. It could be nauseatingly sweet, but luckily the writers gave her some crudeness and no-nonsense harshness. I'm a bit of a naive idealist as well, so characters like that appeal to me. Also love the fact she's a dragon (that was a nice plot surprise), gives a new dimension to the whole idea of fighting for freedom and equality.

In contrast, another one of my favourite female characters is Ves, definitely least archetypical and most life-like. Great combination of professional toughness and compassion; I found her scenes with Moril very touching. Also her fling with Geralt was nicely written and believable. I'm really sad for Ves though, life's pretty tough for her - she nearly got raped by Loredo, then she effectively got raped by Henselt and lost her job and position. But she doesn't seem to be the type to break down easily, so that's another reason to like her.

All in all, the writers did amazing job in maintaining the balance between using narrative stereotypes and one-dimensional character patterns (like lady knight) and building fleshed out, likeable and credible individuals individuals around those patterns; it's something I failed to see in TW1.

Hmm... I think he just meant he prefers less independent women who'll depend on him more. Whatever floats your boat I guess. But I wouldn't have called the opposite a 'fetish'. Nor do I think the Witcher only shows strong women. I mean look at who Gerald has sex with, Tress (strong woman), elven girl that you rescue (not really), a bunch of prostitutes (variable, but I wouldn't really call them strong characters), a demon thingy (with flickering heart), ves (strong woman). Seems like they are showing plenty of variation there.

It's true that all the other main female characters are strong characters (saskia, the sorceresses). But then again, most of the male characters are protrayed as alpha male types as well (roche, iorveth, all the kings). That's the world gerald is dealing with.

In contrast, another one of my favourite female characters is Ves, definitely least archetypical and most life-like. Great combination of professional toughness and compassion; I found her scenes with Moril very touching. Also her fling with Geralt was nicely written and believable. I'm really sad for Ves though, life's pretty tough for her - she nearly got raped by Loredo, then she effectively got raped by Henselt and lost her job and position. But she doesn't seem to be the type to break down easily, so that's another reason to like her.
Not to mention, scoia'teal wiped out her village and and she was only allowed to liveb ecause their leader took a fancy to her (you know what that means...) Being kept as a sex slave until she got rescued by the blue strips can't have been fun.

And despite that she seems fairly well adjusted, confident and not that racist either.

saintmagician said:
And despite that she seems fairly well adjusted, confident and not that racist either.

Well said. That's what I love about her character. She's not the "revenge-driven" cliche. Ves survives in order to live her life, not simply to kill her enemies, though she can do that too if necessary.

Not to mention, scoia'teal wiped out her village and and she was only allowed to liveb ecause their leader took a fancy to her (you know what that means...) Being kept as a sex slave until she got rescued by the blue strips can't have been fun.

Yep, I forgot about that part. In fact, she isn't racist at all. That's what she declares and nothing she does would contradict this.

Anyway, apparently those TW2 girls will survive everything, including battles, fires, sexual abuse,turning into stone, brutal mutilation, poisoning and above all getting their chest pierced by a tree. ;)
At least replacing a diamond in a megascope can be fatal.

FletIorwetha said:
Aaah, now I get it. Years of emancipation and the whole work of feminist movements serves this one purpose: to tickle the fancies of a particular type of fetishist men. Silly me, I thought it was about independence from the rules of desirability and masculine approval.
Unless you're trying to say the writers stick too much to one pattern (I'd disagree with it anyway). But if it's like that, you're using a very awkward way of phrasing it.
Sorry, I failed to understand what you are talking about. Any meaning have apparently been lost in your exquisite, folowery eloquence.
What I was trying to say, is while I dont mind feminist women, I'd appreciate if devs included at leat one woman who behaves like a real woman. Just a one.

pomor said:
Sorry, I failed to understand what you are talking about. Any meaning have apparently been lost in your exquisite, folowery eloquence.
What I was trying to say, is while I dont mind feminist women, I'd appreciate if devs included at leat one woman who behaves like a real woman. Just a one.
And what do you suppose a real woman should act?

pomor said:

Not every medieval story has a princess locked up in a tower that needs to be rescued and taken care of.

If that's your definiton of a "real" woman, that is.

pomor said:
Dejah Thoris.

As played by Traci Lords

Seriously, Ves is as real as a woman gets in this kind of fiction. She's been forced into every shit job a woman has ever had to do, she has to be better than the men around her just to get treated as something less than an equal, and her boss never passes up the chance to ogle her arse as she walks away. (Watch Roche in the interrogation scenes.)

guynwah said:
As played by Traci Lords

Seriously, Ves is as real as a woman gets in this kind of fiction. She's been forced into every shit job a woman has ever had to do, she has to be better than the men around her just to get treated as something less than an equal, and her boss never passes up the chance to ogle her arse as she walks away. (Watch Roche in the interrogation scenes.)
I have never watched that movie, so I don't get your joke.
But seriously, Ves? The most masculine woman in the entire game? It is also a joke, isn't it?

So a real women is a conventional damsel in distress who must be rescued from various perils, but is also portrayed as a competent and capable adventuress in her own right, fully capable of defending herself and surviving on her own?

Sure, if that's what you think that defines a real women, you're welcome to your opinion.

pomor said:
I have never watched that movie, so I don't get your joke.
Lucky you. Distilled quintessence of awful, it was.
But seriously, Ves? The most masculine woman in the entire game? It is also a joke, isn't it?
Maybe you should actually get to know some women who work for a living. Ves, masculine, just because she's a soldier like thousands of women are, just because she doesn't have boobs that get in the way of her follow-through? Ves is the most real woman in the game. It's you who doesn't understand her character. You haven't even tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom