(POLL) Your favorite female character in The Witcher 2!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chewin3 said:
So a real women is a conventional damsel in distress who must be rescued from various perils, but is also portrayed as a competent and capable adventuress in her own right, fully capable of defending herself and surviving on her own?

Sure, if that's what you think that defines a real women, you're welcome to your opinion.

Funny, I see "real" women being the opposite. Ah, how opinions can be so different sometimes.

TheFieryKnight said:
Funny, I see "real" women being the opposite. Ah, how opinions can be so different sometimes.
What's the opposite of a damsel in need of rescue who is also a fully capable adventuress? Someone so lazy and retiring that she's never in danger in the first place? Woohoo! Fun. ;)

@pomor
Ves is athletic and has short hair, but I don't agree that it makes her masculine. At least, I wouldn't phrase it that way. I know quite a few women who are like that to one degree or another, and I'm pretty sure they consider themselves "real". You're right that Ves stands out from most of the other women in TW2, but once you learn her backstory, you find out that she also has a lot in common with them. She's found her own way to make it in the world, a less conventional way than most, but it still makes sense.

I fail to understand why people keep talking about 'real woman behavior'. Really? Does anyone talk about 'real man behavior'? Last time I checked I had a vagina and I was an individual person with individual personality traits. Scandalous idea, I know.

vermeer said:
I fail to understand why people keep talking about 'real woman behavior'. Really? Does anyone talk about 'real man behavior'? Last time I checked I had a vagina and I was an individual person with individual personality traits. Scandalous idea, I know.

Ack! For shame! How dare you be a real person!

pomor said:
Sorry, I failed to understand what you are talking about. Any meaning have apparently been lost in your exquisite, folowery eloquence.
What I was trying to say, is while I dont mind feminist women, I'd appreciate if devs included at leat one woman who behaves like a real woman. Just a one.

Ok, I'll try to put it in a different way with as much simplification as possible. You seem to think "independent women" exist and want to be strong and independent because a particual type of men ('fetishists' as you called them) like that and find it sexy. Maybe you wouldn't say you consciously think like that, but that's the sort of logic behind your language and sentences.
Sorry, that's the best explanation I can come up with right now; I'm unable to introduce anyone to critical feminist thinking in that way.
Just for a start think about the idea of being a 'real someone'. What's a real woman? Are there any unreal women? Is having ovaries, uterus and vagina and most likely XX chromosomes sufficient to say an individual is a woman? Or maybe a real woman needs a D-cup size? High heels? Or maybe a husband to depend on?

Very tricky concept it is and it'd be best to be careful about using such potentially offensive and discriminative notions.

vermeer said:

I apologize; maybe I should have used "realistic", since these are fictional characters, given only a small number and limited range of the personality traits real people have.

Within that constraint, Ves's character is so carefully drawn and so well represents some of the trials women are put through IRL, that I don't think it's too far off base to use "most real" when speaking of her.

Whoa...what have i stumbled into ? Chauvinistic attitude ? ..hmmm this thread is about favorite female characters of Witcher 2 so let`s turn it a down a notch and return to the topic at hand...shall we .

guynwah said:
Within that constraint, Ves's character is so carefully drawn and so well represents some of the trials women are put through IRL, that I don't think it's too far off base to use "most real" when speaking of her.

I agree :) Ves has a nice combination of strength and compassion which makes her such a good character, and she was presented in a very believable way.

However on the other hand, I don't think the other main female characters were meant to be as human-like. Saskia is a dragon so I don't expect her to behave exactly like a regular human, while Phillipa and Sile are sorceresses who have lived far longer than any normal woman would live and have become jaded due to this (and perhaps they were altered by their magical abilities as well). I want to say the same applies to Triss but I don't know how old she's supposed to be so she might be within the normal human age range :p

Anyway, my point is that I think all of the characters make perfect sense considering who they are and what their background is within the game :)

WardDragon said:
I want to say the same applies to Triss but I don't know how old she's supposed to be so she might be within the normal human age range :p

She is in her 30s, Flash confirmed it in one of the threads.

By the usual standards of sorceresses and sorcerers in TW universe, anything under 100 is "young." Triss is "very young."

guynwah said:
I apologize; maybe I should have used "realistic", since these are fictional characters, given only a small number and limited range of the personality traits real people have.
Please, no need to apologize. I wasn't thinking about what you wrote when I posted that. My point was, women can spread a range of personalities as wide as men (it feels incredibly stupid pointing out such platitude).

Sorry, moderator, I'm returning on topic now:

I voted for Saskia. I was expecting an obnoxious character, but surprisingly, she was pretty cool, badass yet idealistic. Maybe Ves has more depth as a character (she would be my second favorite), but I ended caring about Saskia a lot.

Oh, and Margo (Margot?), that madame-scoia'tael-colaborationist in Flotsam was interesting too.

vermeer said:
Sorry, moderator, I'm returning on topic now:

I voted for Saskia. I was expecting an obnoxious character, but surprisingly, she was pretty cool, badass yet idealistic. Maybe Ves has more depth as a character (she would be my second favorite), but I ended caring about Saskia a lot.

Oh, and Margo (Margot?), that madame-scoia'tael-colaborationist in Flotsam was interesting too.

uugh...moderator has such a formal sound...just call me by my name . Besides it was just a friendly reminder . Moderator tone is not so friendly

I thought most of the females in Witcher 2 had charisma and charm...even if they had ulterior motives...i don`t think i could narrow it down to just 3 - 4 .

I wantz unrealistic femalez for my fetishzz!

Anywho, I agree that most females in TW2 had a powerful presence and interesting characters. Even minor ones like Margot, she was quite tragic. Even Moril who showed it for so little, left a powerful impact.

Imo, TW2 is a far cry from TW! in that regard (not to say that TW1 didn't have interesting females, but they were not developed to their fullest potential imo).

Tommy said:
uugh...moderator has such a formal sound...just call me by my name . Besides it was just a friendly reminder . Moderator tone is not so friendly

You always sound friendly to me Tommy whatever you post.

Back on topic, still haven't decided so will be back when i do.

Triss hands-down, she's the only one with a semi-realistic (keep in mind i said semi) body, and I love the way her hips sway... For a video game its very... distracting... to say the least,

pomor said:
Sorry, I failed to understand what you are talking about. Any meaning have apparently been lost in your exquisite, folowery eloquence.
What I was trying to say, is while I dont mind feminist women, I'd appreciate if devs included at leat one woman who behaves like a real woman. Just a one.

You like a certain type of woman, fair enough. However there's nothing more real about those woman, compared to the type of female characters that you've expressed you dislike / are not attracted to.

Most of the main female characters in the witcher are of a certain type, they are independant, often they are powerful (magic, leading armies, etc.) But they are not any less 'real' than the type of woman that you seem to like.

Call them 'strong' women is one thing, fair enough. Implying that they don't behalf 'real' just shows how ignorant you are. You also seem to imply that feminist women do not behave like a real women. Well you know the thing about fiction portraying feminist women, is that they do well... kind of exist in real life.

A soldier with long hair is actually ridiculous, it gives an advantage to the opponent.
I find this ironic, given that our main character has decently long hair. One of the animations for fist fights actually has the opponent grabing his hair. Of course, Geralt still manages to kick ass (after the hair grab) :D

However on the other hand, I don't think the other main female characters were meant to be as human-like.
Yup, if we remove all the non humans and sorcs from the poll, all we are left with is Ves and Mary Louisa La Valette.

Only 2 out of 13 most popular / main female characters in the game are even remotely 'normal'. I may have to start agreeing with the guy who said there aren't enough real women in the game :p

Reaper004 said:
Triss hands-down, she's the only one with a semi-realistic (keep in mind i said semi) body, and I love the way her hips sway... For a video game its very... distracting... to say the least,

Yup, and she isn't that attractive. A few of my friends who saw her for the first time said "Yeah, she's cute, but not 'bow chicka wow wow' good". And that's one reason why I like Triss. Juts waiting to get to explore her more when I finally have TW2.

anyone that wants to help geralt figure out the wild hunt (wants to help HIM for a change) is alright, if no other reason to satisfy their own curiosity.

notice, he also had no problem walking right in... when phillipa & her were having their "alone" time.

it wasnt even awkward either. :)

heh, his ear was plastered to that door.

intresting, theres 3 that no one voted for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom