Question for CDPR

+
Wow, people are actually complaining about these absent animations? It is one thing to suggest or request new animations, but to go full-on complain mode is unreasonable.
The game as it is, contains some of the best game animations I have ever seen.

To be honest, when i had to watch this animations over and over and over again, i would get pissed...
Think about, how many hours this would add to the game just for watching this animations ?

I say no thanks :D

I am curious why you made the design decision not to have animations for:

- Eating or drinking
- Lighting torch
- Applying oil to your weapon, repairing weapon, or drinking a potion
- Sitting or other emotes

I'm sure this came up and it was decided not to do these, just wondering why. I'm guessing part of it is that yo wanted to be able to do these things during combat, but you could have just turned off some of it during combat only.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a huge game and developing it was a great challenge for everyone here in the studio - it was a first project of such scale for us. Creating animations for some of these activities would require a lot of time, work and attention from the developers and we felt it was more important to invest these resources into other aspects of the game. In some other cases (like eating/drinking for example) it was a gameplay decision. Adding animations would affect the flow of combat and we did not want to change it once we found that sweet spot in terms of its dynamic/pace. Emotes would make more sense if The Witcher had any sort of multiplayer component. It would serve very little purpose in a single player experience.

Hope this helps.

Lighting torch

In addition, why the torch is not displayed on belt when it's not lit?

I tend to think that this kind of animation looks really cool the first dozen or so times, but in a game this long, it would soon become boringly repetitive. And that if they WERE in the game, the forums would be full of requests for an "off switch".

So what, were these animations tiresome for a lot of people in the first game? Were the forums bursting in demands for turning them off?

No - having this during combat totally breaks the flow of the experience we want you to have. It's fast, it's challenging, you need to cast a spell, use an item, slice, etc. etc. - no room for "wait you guys, let me play my drinking animations”, AI would not care and totally own you. I know this works in other games but those games are a lot more hardcore than we are.

But the TW1 had these animations and they did not disturb anyone.

Thanks for answering Marcin. I hope you'll consider implementing some of the suggestions here (with a menu on/off option ) through the coming expansion, for the main game.

So.. are they done with patches, is this as good as it's going to get guys, or is there more in the works??? :)

There's no end to what can be put in the game. They could have bonfire where to brew potions and cook raw meat and replenish health. They could have animations for rowing a boat. A dozen different things could be done. A hundred. What of it? It's a game. You can only have so much of realism. Master Chief didn't eat anything for 5 years or so. So what? Leave it be and enjoy the game.

So what, were these animations tiresome for a lot of people in the first game? Were the forums bursting in demands for turning them off?
No idea, I wasn't around the forums. But this isn't TW1, it's TW3. There was a lot of repetitious stuff in TW1, and I don't think that was what people praised about it. Plus the difference in the length. Plus the fact that you didn't actually DO these things as often in TW1.

Thanks for answering Marcin. I hope you'll consider implementing some of the suggestions here (with a menu on/off option ) through the coming expansion, for the main game.

I'd prefer them to concentrate on things that people wouldn't choose to turn off.

This is a bad idea mate. For such a huge game. Even smaller games* (lenght wise) dont usually do it like this.

Thing is, all these animations CAN eventually get tiresome. The eating and drinking ones are not really all that necessary as even if you include them as an extra layer of micromanagement of time during combat.... well you are still ruining immersion and making it harder or slower paced for no real good reason :(

*For Example in Metro Last Light you have animations for screwing on and off light bulbs (and other minor events). You see those animations one or two times in the game, usually during the first times you do the action. Then they dont show up in order not to tire the player. And that is a 14 hour game mate...
It does not damage immersion, as it does not annoy the player.

I'd prefer them to concentrate on things that people wouldn't choose to turn off.

For the most part, I would as well, but some things would have a strong impact for some players, even if entirely optional.

First person exploration view and some FoV options would be a huge asset for immersion for a lot of players and I know a lot of people who liked what they saw from WH, but didn't buy the game precisely for the lack of it.

Potion animation during combat would be more immersive and add extra layer of strategy/difficulty during combat than just adding +x% hit points/damage to enemies in the game, that past the normal difficulty really starts to feel counter intuitive, as bandits wearing nothing but underwear become resilient to sword blows.

Geting sidetracked here...but the breadth of customization options that Bethesda games offer is one of the main reasons behind the popularity of their games, even if, in my opinion, they are quite shallow and mediocre on their own.

Last edited:
Adding animations would affect the flow of combat and we did not want to change it once we found that sweet spot in terms of its dynamic/pace.

Nothing would stop making an animation of drinking a potion such that the animation would seamlessly connect with other animations. However the devs have already simplified one thing - food, which restores health in battle, without which it is easy to get by, but which has no logic or animation.
Removal of potion animation - is just another simplification.
If I was in the developers shoes I would disallow consuming food in combat and added a potion drinking animation which cancels the attack. There is no problem doing this, and the battles will not become too complicated.

Nothing would stop making an animation of drinking a potion such that the animation would seamlessly connect with other animations. However the devs have already simplified one thing - food, which restores health in battle, without which it is easy to get by, but which has no logic or animation.
Removal of potion animation - is just another simplification.
If I was in the developers shoes I would disallow consuming food in combat and added a potion drinking animation which cancels the attack. There is no problem doing this, and the battles will not become too complicated.

As long as they add 36 hotkeys (1-12, ctrl 1-12, shift 1-12) just like Neverwinter Nights had, I'm cool with that! And just like NWN, we should not access inventory or game would unpause and we would probably die. (game paused when we opened inv, except when in combat stance)

Combat Tweaks

Didn't see any recent threads regarding Combat specifically and would like to get some thoughts out there.

Keep in mind, Witcher 3 currently sits as my all time favourite game and soon to be most played singleplayer ever. - So congrats CDPR, in my mind you have created a masterpiece.

This however does not mean its not without its faults, after all nothing in this world is perfect. And there are a couple major tweaks that (in my opinion) would make the combat far better.

- Allow drinking potions, eating food and using oils at all times. But have drinking/eating/applying oil animations that either immobilize or slow (to walking pace) for short time (say 3 - 5 seconds)

Reason: I think this would not only increase immersion and add nice bit of detail to the game but could also create interesting situations. Many times I have found myself facing multiple enemy types in a single encounter. When this happens and you use oil for damage buff you'll leave yourself vulnerable for a few seconds. This would also mean you would have to be careful when using potions and would decrease the effectiveness of potion spamming in the middle fights.

- Limit meditating to designated camps, taverns and "safezones", add these places throughout the map and designate them a common icon

Reason: This would make when you meditate a more tactical decision and make potions and bombs feel more finite. At its current state meditating between every fight is far too easy and this means there is no real meaning for the amount of potions or bombs you can carry at a time. When I dont have enough potions or bombs to defeat a boss at the end of a quest thats my own fault for not being more careful. I should feel like I have think twice before using any item.
There is plenty of open unused space in the Witcher 3s open world, plenty enough for designated points for meditating.

- Add some random encounters to the open world with creatures that match or are close to your level

Reason: Wolves for example are almost always level 5 with wargs that a level 8, when travelling around late game it becomes tedious always encountering the same low level creatures in similar locations. Finding a random higher/matching level Water Hag or Cockatrice spawn ahead of you in random locations as you travel would do wonders to keep things interesting.

- More quickslot items available in the radial menu

Reason: I find myself diving in and out of menus far too often to apply different oils and potions, this has been made much easier using Friendly HUD by wghost81 (http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/365/? if you dont already have it, get it and USE IT) many of the available options with this mod really need to be added to the main game. For PC while holding "Q" keys: 1,2,3,4 at least should be assigned usable Items like oils. That way for consoles while radial menu is open buttons: A,B,Y,X or PlayStation equivalent can also be used the same way.

- (This suggestion is a little more ambitious) Generic randomly generated Witcher contracts

Reason: Bear with me on this one because I know its a long shot... But it would be so awesome if it were possible. I know you wouldn't be about to do detailed story lines or investigations that were randomly generated. But it would be epic if new Witcher contracts were randomly generated and placed on notice boards.
They would of course would be as simple as "theres a beast killing townsfolk out the fields" *go kill noonwriath, collect trophy* "I found a noonwraith was killing the townsfolk, reward please" *gets reward - contract complete* But it would be nice distraction in between all the other questing, especially if you need just a bit more XP to level up.

What do you guys think? What would you guys change to make combat better?

Last edited:
@Maylos , while not an exact fit for your suggestions, the first two are thematically similar to the questions raised in this thread; therefore, they've been moved. Marcin offered an explanation as to why these features where not implemented, and I expect his reply still holds.

Incidentally, your other two suggestions have been raised before several times in various other threads. Since the Team specifically wanted to avoid 'fetch quests', and instead focus on more narrative-driven contracts, which can influence each other, I don't think they would be very interested in randomly-generated, more generic ones.

Fair enough, and I understand and respect those design choices. And all of these are just suggestions and my own opinions.

I feel like the response above isnt exactly what im talking about though, I didn't suggest adding animations for cosmetic/roleplay reasons but rather more to provide depth to the decisions made during combat. And I was suggesting it as something to be added rather than asking why it was not implemented to begin with.

But I suppose the response is the same either way.

Top Bottom