Reviewing the full 35 minute Gamescom 2014 demo

+
All three quests we have seen basically follow the formula of "a favor for a favor." I don't have problems with the "favors" formula being used, but seeing it in three quests (Djikstra and griffin, Johnny and his voice, Ladies and Downwarren) makes me worry if it is overused. After all, the "favors" formula is a cheap way to give player quests. If overused, it is too Skyrim-ish, it makes Geralt an errand boy, and it tires the player really fast. I hope it won't be the case.
I guess these quests are like the routine work of witchers and it's ok to showcase them in the demo, as it shows the mechanics and atmosphere of the game without revealing too much spoilers. You wouldnt want the interesting quests to be revealed 6 months before the release, would you ?

My girlfriend noticed that Geralt's hair did not look wet after he was out of the water in the spirit tree cutsene.
His armor did look wet, but no water was to be found on his face or hair. I don't really care, just wanted to point that out if devs did.
If there was one thing that could make this amazing game best.. it would be to some how load the streaming stuff faster so we dont see anymore pop ins, be it textures, buildings, grass, clouds, trees, animals, npc's or whatever. I doubt it will ever happen in our life time, but it would be so damn cool if cdpr was the first to fix this problem in open world video games.:)

My girlfriend noticed that Geralt's hair did not look wet after he was out of the water in the spirit tree cutsene.
His armor did look wet, but no water was to be found on his face or hair. I don't really care, just wanted to point that out if devs did.
If there was one thing that could make this amazing game best.. it would be to some how load the streaming stuff faster so we dont see anymore pop ins, be it textures, buildings, grass, clouds, trees, animals, npc's or whatever. I doubt it will ever happen in our life time, but it would be so damn cool if cdpr was the first to fix this problem in open world video games.:)

I have noticed that to, i also hope that they make geralt a bit less fatter, just a little bit, and i am not sure if this is already in the game, but i hope there are haircutters in the game, because i like gerard more with a short pony-tail and shaved back on the head.

I have noticed that to, i also hope that they make geralt a bit less fatter, just a little bit, and i am not sure if this is already in the game, but i hope there are haircutters in the game, because i like gerard more with a short pony-tail and shaved back on the head.
Yeah that is the hairs style I want too and it will look better in cutsenes I would imagine.;)

As far as we know (and the devs stated) there are different haircuts and you can even cut your beard in the game, which - and that is something I find extremely cool - will grow over time again.

I second this. Perhaps REDs can borrow the idea from Assassin's Creed? When player is far, there is a quest marker on the minimap. When player gets closer, however, the single exclaimation mark becomes a shade over an area in which the player must search for the target.
Actually, you can see a yellow area on the minimap right before the fight with the werewolf. But things are still marked by exclamation marks...I'm almost sure we will be able to turn them off.

Are haircuts back? I have to confess, I hate the Rivian ponytail. Gimme that Cintrian Pendulum. Also, any word on facial hair? Can I get an Uncle Creepy Ian McCall style of facial hair?

Jupiter_on_Mars

Actually, you can see a yellow area on the minimap right before the fight with the werewolf. But things are still marked by exclamation marks...I'm almost sure we will be able to turn them off.

Important as it is, the ability to turn off quest markers is not the most important question.

Is the player given clear enough directions so that he can find a location without having to depend on markers?
I can have all the goodwill in the world but if NPCs don't provide any at all, I may be forced to turn markers back on. For example, the mobster tells Geralt that Johnny lives in Velen. Assuming Velen is big, without additional info and bent on not using either the senses nor quest markers, how is the player supposed to find Johnny?

I'm sceptical.

In fact, the senses currently register as one of my top three concerns. Object, texture and shadow pop in and Interior lighting being the other two.

Last edited:
I can have all the goodwill in the world but if NPCs don't provide any at all, I may be forced to turn markers back on. For example, the mobster tells Geralt that Johnny lives in Velen. Assuming Velen is big, without additional info and bent on not using either the senses nor quest markers, how is the player supposed to find Johnny?
That's what the senses mechanic is for. I'd use it if there wasn't a bloody exclamation mark on your minimap anyways. Having both at the same time is what's puzzling to me.

But I'm not sure what would be the case if you weren't to track down a monster or a creature like Johnny. Not every single quest will rely on tracking footprints or bloodtrails. Then you'd have neither the markers nor the senses.

It is the same build. It is also possible that some parts are optimised (or replaced by cinematics (e.g. the end of the griffin fight)).
There will be more glitches and unoptimised elements in a large 35min segment than in the more tightly controlled 6 minute stage display.

The footage was great. A lot of polishing needed, sure, but it looks and sounds amazing. Looks like CDPR hit it out of the park with this one. Hopefully they can make the best use out of the remaining time and deliver a properly finished product, something that's lamentably rare in gaming these days.

I especially loved Geralt's anxious facial tick after Gran first called the Ladies to their presence. Great little detail, as I expect from these guys.

Nice to see you guys on the forum are still giving nightmares to CDPR game designers, so let me butt in :) (notify me if this is being said/noticed in the thread and I will delete it, still haven't read the thread, will do it later)

Apart from things like
7. The Gran’s long skirt looks polygon-ized. I thought full-fledged cloth simulation was in. The E3 Microsoft demo sure had it.
from the OP, I've noticed one more thing, which leads me to believe that this 35 min demo is maybe older than the one shown at E3 (again, correct me if that's already known, I've been absent in the last month), and that is the sword sheathing animation from the 35min demo compared to the E3 Microsoft Griffin Hunt one. Uploaded the webms, so here you go and share opinions:

First from the 35min demo, notice the glitch: [video]http://webmup.com/hC85N[/video]

And the glitch seems to be gone in the E3 demo: [video]http://webmup.com/jX4XC[/video]

So no word from the Reds about this Downgrade thing?

Its funny seeing people defending it saying how its an old build forgetting that before this video was out they were saying the reds weren't willing to release something not great to the internet which means this is the best that they have.

I'd love to know what they say about this.

So no word from the Reds about this Downgrade thing?

Its funny seeing people defending it saying how its an old build forgetting that before this video was out they were saying the reds weren't willing to release something not great to the internet which means this is the best that they have.

I'd love to know what they say about this.

*Le ebbin downgrade post*
What exactly is down... graded?

Edit:
Rest of the threads about this were locked, don't derail it. Let him think what he wants
Fair enough, good point. He just rustled my jimmies in a nanosecond.

Last edited:
I second the suggestion to not derail the thread. We would like to continue reviewing the 35 min gameplay demo, right?

As a professional monster hunter, Geralt knows better than to destroy his source of employment. ;)

My Geralt was never a Cowboy Contractor ! That would be very unprofessional ;)

Is the player given clear enough directions so that he can find a location without having to depend on markers? ....how is the player supposed to find Johnny?

I'd be quite surprised if there weren't reasonable vocal instructions leading you to the general area for hunting, then engage the Witcher Sense, otherwise whats the point? For static locations like Johnnys Garden the info provider can "Here, let me mark that on your map, Witcher". Yeah I'd like to turn all, or a lot of such visual indicators off myself, and I know RED have given thought to this, they want to make the game accessible to some but realise others want to hold more of the responsibility for their gaming experience in their own hands. So i'm not sceptical.

Oh yeah, I've been assuming the 35 minute video is the same they've been showing to the media for months, with a few additional / changed cutscenes and maybe a different voiceover.

Top Bottom