Should CD PROJEKT RED make a MMORPG?

+

Should CD PROJEKT RED make a mmorpg?

• Yes

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 100 78.1%

• Total voters
I like MMORPG's. Not a lot of them left or being made anymore.

Bioware had 0 experience with anything online, unlike CDPR, and yet managed to made a pretty good one. One of the best imo. That would be SW: The Old Republic for people that don't know.
SWTOR is a great game, despite being an MMORPG, its EIGHT different KOTOR3s :) But... It would be 12 parsecs better if it was a single player game. Good MMO take good concepts and good writing and kill them with MMO :) So if a company is to make a great SP game or a passable to good MMO, lets stick with SP.

MMO? Eh... no, thank you. They're great at making single-player RPGs so I don't see why they shouldn't stick to those.

Sild

Ex-moderator
SWTOR is a great game, despite being an MMORPG, its EIGHT different KOTOR3s :) But... It would be 12 parsecs better if it was a single player game. Good MMO take good concepts and good writing and kill them with MMO :) So if a company is to make a great SP game or a passable to good MMO, lets stick with SP.

Well.. it's a given that a multiplayer game needs to account for things that would be a no consideration for a single player game, but that's not inherently bad, nor does it make a game automatically worse, just different, for different wants. I can't enjoy KotOR with a friend, for example, and it probably wouldn't be enjoyable.. playing it with someone else. But exploring the Old Republic, which KotOR introduced so magnificently with a friend? absolutely. Complementing each other's skills in combat and out of combat and just creating our story as we go through the attentively crafted world, quests and events (social or otherwise)? that's something a sp game can't give you, nor should it.

The though of enjoying the world of Cyberpunk 2077 (or beyond) in an online environment is really appealing to me. :shrug:

Well.. it's a given that a multiplayer game needs to account for things that would be a no consideration for a single player game, but that's not inherently bad, nor does it make a game automatically worse, just different, for different wants. I can't enjoy KotOR with a friend, for example, and it probably wouldn't be enjoyable.. playing it with someone else. But exploring the Old Republic, which KotOR introduced so magnificently with a friend? absolutely. Complementing each other's skills in combat and out of combat and just creating our story as we go through the attentively crafted world, quests and events (social or otherwise)? that's something a sp game can't give you, nor should it.

The though of enjoying the world of Cyberpunk 2077 (or beyond) in an online environment is really appealing to me. :shrug:

Yes, but accounting for the MMO needs must necesserily take away from the single player experiency, story, cohesion and things like that. One thing is Co-op play, another is a MMO with a story, no matter how good, thrown in, and a player, who wants to just enjoy that, stumbles on MMO minefields all the time. And all that 11y olds with the names like jhghjyg7878786$3^$^#&^56GGGG54562343789782364892638764278Fu5cyou running around compromising framerates and the whole experience.

I would like to see an mmorpg title from CDprojekt and I believe that this thread is not specifically about an mmorpg in the Witcher universe. It can be something else entirely.

However, one of the problems in mmorpgs is what I find as first come first served titles. For instance, we have Dota and LoL. Both have dominated the field of moba as they were released in times where moba games were not many. Many companies tried to follow the footsteps of Dota and LoL, but eventually failed. That's because Dota and LoL have already dominated the moba industry. I don't know much about the Old Republic, but I also believe that no mmorpg introduced a similar world before the release of the Old Republic, which I think makes it one of the dominant titles in mmorpg.

In addition, transitioning between existing and new communities can be difficult. For instance, one can easily, and rightly, find that Dota or LoL's community is toxic, but still we usually choose to stick with such toxicity over trading it with another community that's probably going to be also toxic, or decide to leave them both entirely. Also we find in many instances that the time we invested in a certain mmorpg and its community can be quite difficult to trade them with a new title and new player base, especially that it's almost impossible to keep playing two mmorps at the same time.

So I guess Cdprojekt would need to introduce an interesting world such as Cyberpunk, which I think no other mmorpg made something like that, in order to convince people to transition from different communities.

I like MMORPG's. Not a lot of them left or being made anymore.

Bioware had 0 experience with anything online, unlike CDPR, and yet managed to made a pretty good one. One of the best imo. That would be SW: The Old Republic for people that don't know.
SWTOR didn't exactly set the world on fire, but it's still around and kicking. A better example might be Elder Scrolls Online, where another major company that, as far as I know, didn't have a lot of experience with MMOs ended up with a pretty good one. In fact, I'd say a really good one at this point -- and a massive money maker. Then there's the recent Rockstar model, where they run an expanded online version of their AAA games. That's been pretty darn successful.

I expect to see a cyberpunk flavored CDPR MMO game sometime after the next gen console market matures.

MMOs are not an inherently bad concept. They are simply handled according to accepted mechanics and structures because, when it boils down to it, most developers won't take the risk to change things up. (Too "revolutionary". ;))
I loved the original "Everquest" (EQ 2 was pretty lame), vanilla "WoW" was also good (but look where that went), I loved "Age of Conan" (but it had zero endgame so bored griefers drove everyone else out of the game), I'm very much looking forward to "Pantheon Rise of the Fallen".

See a pattern here?
Group content, leveling takes time/effort, you built a reputation (good or bad) on your server ... all the things missing from 99% of modern MMOs.

I loved the original "Everquest" (EQ 2 was pretty lame), vanilla "WoW" was also good (but look where that went), I loved "Age of Conan" (but it had zero endgame so bored griefers drove everyone else out of the game), I'm very much looking forward to "Pantheon Rise of the Fallen".

Yup, old school :). I distinctly recall playing both UO and EQ to death when they first hit the shelves. Back in the day when MMO life was comparatively hardcore. In a time when you could actually lose big for failure. The period where teamwork was a necessity, not an option. Eventually WoW hit the fold and care-beared the MMO scene in the interest of reeling in a massive market. It... worked.

I remember building up the courage to tackle a rabbit by myself in the original EQ and getting my ass kicked :). A slight over-exaggeration but a worthwhile point, nonetheless. Ding, level 8. Okay guys let's build a 30 person group to take down the level 10 Mammoth. What I do not remember from those days was the degree of toxic behavior found in more modern titles. It did exist in some capacity. It was far less commonplace, however. I think the hardcore nature of the game was a major driving force behind it. It's harder to sabotage the experience of others when it's a necessity to work together to get anywhere.

It's interesting you bring up Pantheon. Been keeping an eye on it's progress myself.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Group content, leveling takes time/effort, you built a reputation (good or bad) on your server ... all the things missing from 99% of modern MMOs.

Exactly this.

Yes, but accounting for the MMO needs must necesserily take away from the single player experiency, story, cohesion and things like that. One thing is Co-op play, another is a MMO with a story, no matter how good, thrown in, and a player, who wants to just enjoy that, stumbles on MMO minefields all the time. And all that 11y olds with the names like jhghjyg7878786$3^$^#&^56GGGG54562343789782364892638764278Fu5cyou running around compromising framerates and the whole experience.

All true and valid concerns. There are good things and bad things about online environments, but the bad ones don't negate the good ones, and it's those that make it worth it :)

Of course, at the end of the day, if I have to choose between a sequel to Cp2077 and an MMO than it's the sequel, Every. Time.

But if one can have both? Absolutely.

So I guess Cdprojekt would need to introduce an interesting world such as Cyberpunk, which I think no other mmorpg made something like that, in order to convince people to transition from different communities.

Yep. It also helps A LOT (from my own observations) if the universe on which you build the MMO is already well established in pop-gaming culture, or entertainment in general. And with Cyberpunk 2077 they're in an excellent position to do an interesting, rarely done cyberpunk themed MMO and they also have the exposure few other franchises had. Of course, it does depend a lot on 2077's reception, but by now, it's already too big to fail.

I would take Cyberpunk Movie over MMORPG any day, or even TV-series, they tend to offer more entertainment. They both cost the same. I simply cant get why people try to push CDPR forward MMORPG, they could make movies instead. Triple A games + Movies sounds like a nice twist to them.

What I do not remember from those days was the degree of toxic behavior found in more modern titles.
From the entire time I played EQ I recall two bits of toxic behavior.
#1 - A wizard kill stealing from our group since the kill went to whoever did the moist damage (and any team they were in).
#2 - Another guy intentionally training us in Lower Guk to to steal our camp.

In both cases the "word" went out and I never saw either again. The "cadre" of "trustworthy" players was very much thing and we'd contact each other by name to fill out teams and raids. And conversely warn each other about toxic players.

Remember how it was automatic that the first gems went to the clerics to offset the cost of their buffs?

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

No, because I find the chance of such game not interfering with development of more SP Cyberpunk and Witcher games (something I actually care to see) astronomically low. Doesn't matter how great and profitable it could be.
It might seem selfish, but there you go. :)

See a pattern here?

I can relate to this. My first MMO was Ultima Online. Which, I admit, I really liked. But I found it kind of frustrating to play, so I dropped it after literally a matter of hours. Never cared for EQ, WoW, and the like. I play Elite: Dangerous only in SP mode or on Private Servers with friends. I really, really like Guild Wars 2. I was utterly fascinated by that game for a few months. Also a huge fan of SCUM, despite all of its issues.

And the core thing is that an MMO needs to let the player avoid the exploitation, griefing, and cheating. There needs to be a way to segregate servers or instances so that everyone can enjoy the game with like-minded people. Using a one-size-fits-all system (like most games) means that the craziest, most dishonest, most disruptive players automatically run the show.

So, all of that being said, I'm not sure that such a system will ever be very conducive to storytelling, which I would argue is CDPR's most salient feature. I'm not saying that I would label the gameplay in The Witcher series as poor -- not by any stretch -- but the story and writing was simply amazing. Without that, I imagine a CDPR game might feel a little empty.

From the entire time I played EQ I recall two bits of toxic behavior.
#1 - A wizard kill stealing from our group since the kill went to whoever did the moist damage (and any team they were in).
#2 - Another guy intentionally training us in Lower Guk to to steal our camp.

I recall both behaviors as well. I do not recall them being commonplace when the game was new though.

For the most part dungeon trains weren't malicious. They were because whomever was pulling borked the pull. Speaking from experience, pulling in that game was almost an art. It was not a task most people could pick up instantly. It hinged heavily on experience acquired via doing it. Nor were there various guides floating around to hand hold you through it. Not to mention certain glitchy behavior could cause it to happen (Lower Guk was notorious for this in certain places if AoE abilities were unwisely utilized...). Plus, people would routinely announce when a train was en route as a common courtesy.

Kill stealing was more frequently done maliciously. I do recall an experience there when my level was in the low 40's. I had been trying to get a specific item for months and formed a group to pick it up. Another group came in and insisted on claiming the camp, even though we were already there. Since our group couldn't dish out comparable DPS we called it quits. About 30 minutes later I was talking to a level 50 Druid friend and he offered to help me. Needless to say, with just the two of us, we marched back to the spawn area and out-damaged the other group when the mob popped. To add icing on the cake it dropped the item I was trying to get :).

Regardless, I cannot recall poor behavior in EQ being on the same level as MMO's released later. As I said, EQ was quite brutal in a number of areas. Not just for end game content either. As a result people would work together. A lot of content was simply not doable at the appropriate level range while solo. They would also talk to each other. There weren't really any rules in place to curb despicable behavior. There didn't need to be. The players policed themselves. Routine griefers would quickly find themselves playing alone at every turn. Incidentally, they had a difficult time progressing.

In any case, most people probably over-simplify and underestimate how much goes into making a MMO "work". Not just on the game play side of things either. At that point there are hardware and networking considerations on top. I doubt a developer arbitrarily decides to create a MMO. I think the lower number of such games in recent years, at least good ones, is less to do with the game design itself and more to do with cost and technical considerations. Intuitively, I'd think it would be a risky endeavor from a financial standpoint.

And what about LAN coop play ? Like sharing the adventure with your dearest friends, in your mancave.
Bonuses for communication within the missions, and ofc intercourse scenes with your friends' characters (ingame) (cough).

Another bites the dust.. Tencent bought 29% of Funcom. MMORPG genre just keep going downward like it has done last 20 year. Why you want to go there? MMORPG genre is becoming definitely somekind of sub-genre, if CDPR makes MMORPG they just take hit to their reputation, but Cyberpunk Movie could boost it. Choice is no brainer.

I think the problem with CDPR investing in a movie is that any cyberpunk movie is going to get sucked into the event horizon of Blade Runner and spit back out as cyberpunk colored X-Rays.

I think the problem with CDPR investing in a movie is that any cyberpunk movie is going to get sucked into the event horizon of Blade Runner and spit back out as cyberpunk colored X-Rays.

How about TV-series? They did Witcher TV-series already. Its much easier to make money with Movies than MMORPGs, even Need for Speed Movie turned out to be profitable. MMORPG means you take hit to your rep and lose tons of money. With right actor movie will bring money for sure.

I think somekind of Cyberpunk meets Miami Vice would work, as for movie. Maybe throw a bit of Fast an Furious into it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom