So the Villains (Wild Hunt)...... HUGE SPOILERS !

+
So the Villains (Wild Hunt)...... HUGE SPOILERS !

Some months before release, I made a thread in which I argued that Eredin does not have enough leverage to be the main villain.
You can find it here http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...redin)-Just-Doesn-t-cut-it-for-me-(SPOILERS!)
Turns out I was right, correct me If I'm wrong but even Eredin's two main elfs kick more ass than he. Hell Imlerith displays far more character than him maybe even Caranthir.

In total I would argue that Eredin has no more than 10 sentences in the whole game. A few of which are generic villain garbage ("Long Live The King, Any Last Words?"). So basically we have a villain that wasn't supposed to be frightening, turns out that he isn't frightening and that he has no character, literally none in my opinion to distinguish him. There was once a dialogue with Avalach where he implies that Eredin is consumed by the fear of the White Frost and that he will elaborate it more later, but nothing of it really.

It is Imlerith that takes the crown really, he shows SOME interesting personality at least and Caranthir is badass (still more than Eredin) no question about it, but he also has nothing interesting going for him.

So the surmise, Eredin does not present anything interesting or badass and is even out shined by his henchmen. So why am I so pissed when my exact prediction turned out correct?

Well it's because of this :
If you type in the name of the game the chances are you will see Eredin or the Wild hunt on video thumbnails, google images etc. They have a descent amount of screen time on the trailers.

That's where the problem lies, HYPE, as always. The villains were hyped and hyped like this unstoppable danger that also has something interesting deeper behind it. To me the trailers implied Geralt will met them in person more often during the chase for Ciri and that a lot darker things were going to happen than one cheap death (Visimir's death is a whole subject on it's own, but you can argue it's a good death here) and three or two Skelligans.

Instead what we got was, Geralt not even breaking a sweat too beat the King of The Wild Hunt while almost dying against his henchmen.

Which is a damn shame really, I was secretly hoping in the end that Eredin will turn out a tragic villain, or that Avalach is indeed the greater foe and we must unite with Eredin or kill him to late to find out. Also Caranthir seemed like he could have been way way more. An inferiority complex towards Ciri would have been a start, since he seems to be by far the most powerful person in the Wild Hunt, hell in the entire game even.

A lot of this leads me to believe that it was the Wild Hunt were CDPR had to cut, which is bearable but I would have much more preferred to get to know them instead of the Crones...

Fuck, you're right, the Wild Hunt actually does practically no damage to Geralt's cast of friends after kidnapping Yennefer.

Can Lambert die if you don't save him in Kaer Morhen? Because I would be inclined to let him die just so that the Wild Hunt doesn't seem as pathetic as they actually end up being.

There's Crach, I guess, but the guy has no real character development. He's just a really nice guy to Geralt.

I personally am of the opinion that in order for a villain to appear as a real, viable threat, he has to actually bare his fangs, and a good way of showing this is by having him kill several of the 'good guys', to the point where you actually feel that they could kill the protagonist if he makes just one mistake.

Vesemir really was just a 'token death', as was Crach. Not once did I feel that the Wild Hunt actually COULD kill Geralt or his friends.

Fuck, you're right, the Wild Hunt actually does practically no damage to Geralt's cast of friends after kidnapping Yennefer.

Can Lambert die if you don't save him in Kaer Morhen? Because I would be inclined to let him die just so that the Wild Hunt doesn't seem as pathetic as they actually end up being.

There's Crach, I guess, but the guy has no real character development. He's just a really nice guy to Geralt.

I personally am of the opinion that in order for a villain to appear as a real, viable threat, he has to actually bare his fangs, and a good way of showing this is by having him kill several of the 'good guys', to the point where you actually feel that they could kill the protagonist if he makes just one mistake.

Vesemir really was just a 'token death', as was Crach. Not once did I feel that the Wild Hunt actually COULD kill Geralt or his friends.
Excellently done, I was to secretly hoping Caranthir kills Eskel, as much as I love the dude, because then they would be a real threat. Or like in Mass Effect 2 it all based on your decisions (yes I know it was very badly done but I mean the basic principle).

So the way you did the defense was related how many of the characters died. Vesimir was a huge loss, since he could have been used as huge source of knowledge about old Witchers, I just feel that they didn't give us the maximum with him.

And For all we know Crach might have been a really shity warrior, it really didn't serve any praise to Eredin .

Which is a damn shame really, I was secretly hoping in the end that Eredin will turn out a tragic villain, or that Avalach is indeed the greater foe and we must unite with Eredin or kill him to late to find out. Also Caranthir seemed like he could have been way way more. An inferiority complex towards Ciri would have been a start, since he seems to be by far the most powerful person in the Wild Hunt, hell in the entire game even.

Agreed. When Eredin said "Avallac'h has tricked us both", I thought the showdown was finally going to be interesting, but then it turned out to be a false alarm. Also interesting angle about Caranthir, considering Ciri has become his old mentor's new star pupil, and his very existence and the reason of his birth was just to emulate the power Ciri was born with. When Avallac'h told Ciri that she had to destory the staff to break the ice spell, Ciri replied that she would not stop at the staff, meaning she intended to kill Caranthir too. Then there is one shot of Avallac'h looking almost sad, what's that about? Mourning for Caranthir, his golden child? The shot then dragged on and on showing him standing on the dock(not sure why), I almost thought my computer had freezed.

Imlerith on the other hand just seemed to me a perfect example of the brute who ruined everyting. If he could just refrain from killing Vesemir "the hostage" just because he stick a dagger in his heavily-armored ribs, Eredin would have successfully captured Ciri. That wound wasn't even life-threatening, seeing how Imlerith could attend a sabbath a few days later in perfectly good health.

As for Crach, his death was not really a surprise. For his daugher or his son to grow to be the true ruler of Skellige, he had to die or leave, since he cast too large a shadow. When it was decided that the final battle was going to happen in Skellige, I thought this was a perfect chance to get Crach out of the picture.

Agreed. When Eredin said "Avallac'h has tricked us both", I thought the showdown was finally going to be interesting, but then it turned out to be a false alarm. Also interesting angle about Caranthir, considering Ciri has become his old mentor's new star pupil, and his very existence and the reason of his birth was just to emulate the power Ciri was born with. When Avallac'h told Ciri that she had to destory the staff to break the ice spell, Ciri replied that she would not stop at the staff, meaning she intended to kill Caranthir too. Then there is one shot of Avallac'h looking almost sad, what's that about? Mourning for Caranthir, his golden child? The shot then dragged on and on showing him standing on the dock(not sure why), I almost thought my computer had freezed.

Imlerith on the other hand just seemed to me a perfect example of the brute who ruined everyting. If he could just refrain from killing Vesemir "the hostage" just because he stick a dagger in his heavily-armored ribs, Eredin would have successfully captured Ciri. That wound wasn't even life-threatening, seeing how Imlerith could attend a sabbath a few days later in perfectly good health.

As for Crach, his death was not really a surprise. For his daugher or his son to grow to be the true ruler of Skellige, he had to die or leave, since he cast too large a shadow. When it was decided that the final battle was going to happen in Skellige, I thought this was a perfect chance to get Crach out of the picture.

I guess I can't blame Imlerith for killing a man that just stuck a knife in his ribs, I mean it's a basic reflex and maybe a matter of preventing other "surprises".

However that's one of the dumbest moments of the trilogy since, when the camera focuses on Vesimir's hands I thought he was going to Ard or Igni Imlerith, and for some reason he didn't but then Geralt is in the same exact situation, no actually worse since Imlerith is choking him and he just releases the strongest Igni I ever saw.

Top Bottom