[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Mike so badly wanted Johnny (forget about Alt since she is in this game nothing more than a plot device) hat they just kept him hidden for the 6 years of marketing, and show you that this game is about everything else from being Max Tac through playing as a Merc to the making some meaningful choices in Pacifica.

You mean the marketing that consisted of one trailer and then revealing Johnny Silverhand? They had plans for doing a CGI character Johnny before Keanu. The only change they made is having him show up to smacktalk during every quest.

Just to make you feel oh so much better......
All your friends don't know you're dead...

Johnny just up and leaves....

So they are calling a dead persons phone looking for V - and Johnny the real protagonist of this "action adventure" game never has the guts to even call or message them that their valued friend or lover V is dead.

They will forever not know what happened - unless/until someone comes across the right funeral box.

Yep. He is shittily trying to sneak out the back of the city.

Not cool, Johnny.

Not cool.

Blank slate protagonists can't have story arcs so you have to create characters to base any emotional story on. Hence blank slate protagonists tend to be supporting protagonists.

Well Watcher from PoE 1 and 2 is blank slate and story work well, same as Queen/King from Pathfinder Kingmaker

Blank Slate can have good story arc, CDPR fuck it here big time by forcing you to want to be Legend and by taking away any choices of your action, what ever you do all lead to same thing.

AGAIN trying to move from the damned "All the endings are too similar" nonsense

You know what's weird?

This game's central premise is very similar to KNIGHTS OF THE FALLEN ORDER except instead of Johnny Silverhand, you have the Sith Emperor in your head.

I expected more Yorinobu wanting to kill you because of Johnny Silverhand in your head.

You mean the marketing that consisted of one trailer and then revealing Johnny Silverhand? They had plans for doing a CGI character Johnny before Keanu.
Post automatically merged:

Yep. He is shittily trying to sneak out the back of the city.

Not cool, Johnny.

Not cool.
Having plans for CGI of Johnny and making him a star trying to eclipse the main protagonist are two different things.

Story suffers from this terribly and now it’s evident. Game never needed a big star and really would be better with one. Since the story has enough material to do great on its own. Maybe with Johnny being just in the background or for fan services purposes. He could even get the same Alt treatment to be plot device / secondary character like Rouge or Kerry.

You know what's weird?

This game's central premise is very similar to KNIGHTS OF THE FALLEN ORDER except instead of Johnny Silverhand, you have the Sith Emperor in your head.

I expected more Yorinobu wanting to kill you because of Johnny Silverhand in your head.
No. He wants to kill us, because we witnessed him killing the most powerful man on earth, only for him to take his place.

Arasakas Board does know yorinobu killed his father but they can't do shit without proper evidence and it would be too risky to attack him. Hanako makes this pretty clear. On the other hand, yorinobu doesn't seem to know that the board knows.

Having plans for CGI of Johnny and making him a star trying to eclipse the main protagonist are two different things.

Story suffers from this terribly and now it’s evident. Game never needed a big star and really would be better with one. Since the story has enough material to do great on its own. Maybe with Johnny being just in the background or for fan services purposes. He could even get the same Alt treatment to be plot device / secondary character like Rouge or Kerry.

Basically you seem to think they planned it differently and changed it versus always planning that and I don't see it.

Here's a bit of Mike Pondsmith interview:

Cyberpunk 2077 is set later on than Red, so I guess this is one of the first times the way the property is presented has been out of your sole creative oversight, right? But also you're about to bring out an RPG that's bridging a gap, so are you influencing one another?

Mike Pondsmith:
Oh yeah.

What are you taking from 2077?

Mike Pondsmith: Somewhere in the beginning of this but particularly in the last two years we said 'we want to end up like this, how do we get from this to that?' And it was a lucky break because the entire fourth corporate war had been designed by us years ago to change up characters and to start a new arc.

We always looked at Cyberpunk as being like a comic book. So we had finished the first arc, the 2013 arc, we're through the second arc and we're going to be going into another arc and 2077 gave us a new way to do it. So that began a collaboration where we'd say, okay well we wanna have this character alive 60 years from now. What do you wanna have them do? Well we want them to do this. Okay, but we need to have you do this character over here and show how they got built up to here. Okay, and can we bring this character back? Yeah, here's a way I figured out how to bring this character in or whatever. And you have to understand a lot of this stuff we planned in Talsorian years ago - case in point, there are certain characters that are supposed to be dead but technically nobody knows for sure that they're dead. You know? Nobody has actually gone and checked for a heartbeat. So, who knows?

So it's been very collaborative. I'll give you an example, I was over in Warsaw about... I guess this must have been two years ago, maybe three, and people were showing me guns. And the guns were these silver Star Wars-y things and I went no, Cyberpunk guns don't look like that. You know, they're large, they're black, they're brutal, they have rails, they have this, they have that, and so I literally had a long discussion with all of the weapons guys and a bunch of people in the studio.

Plenty of games have you merging with beings to become immortal cybergods. Its also usually treated as a happy ending.

MATH:
1 person merging 50/50 with the digital personae is a co-merger of TWO beings.

I Cthulhu eating 1000 people (and V) does not create V as part god.
assimilation

just like whatever you had for breakfast this morning did not somehow achieve human status and making decisions for you.

You know what's weird?

You are right - they are similar, but the end of the day nothing you do/choose doesn’t matter besides a different flavor/color or the same ending
Besides super powers things since it’s not like you PC could be on his/her own Dark Council member, emperor hand, Barsenthor (hehe) or Luke Skywalker or his era.

You are somehow right game is similar to the SWTOR - both are big let downs. Base TOR ar least had great story, with different choices and such.

1. We know how Delemain reacts to absorbing his breakaway personalities so we know what Alt is doing to them.

2. The above Mike Pondsmith interview says to me that they're talking about Johnny from the beginning and bringing him back from the dead.

No. He wants to kill us, because we witnessed him killing the most powerful man on earth, only for him to take his place.

Arasakas Board does know yorinobu killed his father but they can't do shit without proper evidence and it would be too risky to attack him. Hanako makes this pretty clear. On the other hand, yorinobu doesn't seem to know that the board knows.

Weird thing, in the Aldecado ending, it says Hanako died in the attack. Did Yorinobu kill her or did we when we drilled through the bottom of the building?

She's not said to be dead in the Johnny ending.

Somebody here wrote that we chose how to attack a building and not how we want to live afterwards.

That is a true. Again, not choice over what we make after finding out we are fucked - again.
In this game only 3 choices matter.

On the contrary, choosing the afterlife path automatically says that V did not learn anything from the events. It's back to normal after almost going belly up.
In the Panam ending, V at least learned something and changed as a result of the events.

The epilogue really feel rushed and incomplete.

Basically you seem to think they planned it differently and changed it versus always planning that and I don't see it.

Here's a bit of Mike Pondsmith interview:

Cyberpunk 2077 is set later on than Red, so I guess this is one of the first times the way the property is presented has been out of your sole creative oversight, right? But also you're about to bring out an RPG that's bridging a gap, so are you influencing one another?

Mike Pondsmith:
Oh yeah.

What are you taking from 2077?

Mike Pondsmith: Somewhere in the beginning of this but particularly in the last two years we said 'we want to end up like this, how do we get from this to that?' And it was a lucky break because the entire fourth corporate war had been designed by us years ago to change up characters and to start a new arc.

We always looked at Cyberpunk as being like a comic book. So we had finished the first arc, the 2013 arc, we're through the second arc and we're going to be going into another arc and 2077 gave us a new way to do it. So that began a collaboration where we'd say, okay well we wanna have this character alive 60 years from now. What do you wanna have them do? Well we want them to do this. Okay, but we need to have you do this character over here and show how they got built up to here. Okay, and can we bring this character back? Yeah, here's a way I figured out how to bring this character in or whatever. And you have to understand a lot of this stuff we planned in Talsorian years ago - case in point, there are certain characters that are supposed to be dead but technically nobody knows for sure that they're dead. You know? Nobody has actually gone and checked for a heartbeat. So, who knows?

So it's been very collaborative. I'll give you an example, I was over in Warsaw about... I guess this must have been two years ago, maybe three, and people were showing me guns. And the guns were these silver Star Wars-y things and I went no, Cyberpunk guns don't look like that. You know, they're large, they're black, they're brutal, they have rails, they have this, they have that, and so I literally had a long discussion with all of the weapons guys and a bunch of people in the studio.
2013 Mike Pondsmith
"
Mike Pondsmith, creator of the Cyberpunk pen-and-paper RPG, discusses the ideas and themes of both his original creation and the recently revealed Cyberpunk 2077 in a new video by CD Projekt RED.

Cyberpunk isn’t about saving humanity, it’s about saving yourself,”says Pondsmith at one point, setting a very dark tone for the upcoming game (not that we didn’t already know that). He also says a lot of other stuff, so you better hurry and watch the video below if you want to know what.

Cyberpunk 2077 is expected to be released in the far future – in the year 2015 to be exact – on the PC.

"

2018 - after hiring Keanu and working with him they more than doubled the role of Keanu - i.e. extensive story rewrites

and we get the game we do.

Somebody here wrote that we chose how to attack a building and not how we want to live afterwards.

That is a true. Again, not choice over what we make after finding out we are fucked - again.

On the contrary, choosing the afterlife path automatically says that V did not learn anything from the events. It's back to normal after almost going belly up.
In the Panam ending, V at least learned something and changed as a result of the events.

I confess, Afterlife ending is kind of weird because my V is like Regina Jones. He's an Edgerunner to help people, not be a Don.

2013 Mike Pondsmith
"
Mike Pondsmith, creator of the Cyberpunk pen-and-paper RPG, discusses the ideas and themes of both his original creation and the recently revealed Cyberpunk 2077 in a new video by CD Projekt RED.

Cyberpunk isn’t about saving humanity, it’s about saving yourself,”says Pondsmith at one point, setting a very dark tone for the upcoming game (not that we didn’t already know that). He also says a lot of other stuff, so you better hurry and watch the video below if you want to know what.

Cyberpunk 2077 is expected to be released in the far future – in the year 2015 to be exact – on the PC.

"

2018 - after hiring Keanu and working with him they more than doubled the role of Keanu - i.e. extensive story rewrites

and we get the game we do.

Okay, I'm sorry, but I'm stupid.

What the HELL does "Saving yourself not the world" have to do with not being about Johnny Silverhand in your head?

It's like saying, "The President can't resign because broccoli."

What's the connection?

And yes, they added Keanu to all the sidequests. Nothing which would impact the main quest.

Weird thing, in the Aldecado ending, it says Hanako died in the attack. Did Yorinobu kill her or did we when we drilled through the bottom of the building?

She's not said to be dead in the Johnny ending.
Well. Looks like another oversight to me.

Yorinobu wanted Hanako out of the firing line and locked her up in the Arasaka mansion. He didn it care for his other sister though.

It's just an illogical mess.

But it really does fit a game which is no longer an RPG but an action adventure game about johnny silverhand and
"become a legend of night city"

what players want choice and agency... in a game marketed for years as an RPH where their choices would matter.
we're just toxic fans demanding too much

*sigh* Watch Seven. Very dark. Vary sad. No one hates the ending - why? The morgan freeman character - after everything disturbing and dark we go through - begins to care again - not going to retire. The journey he went on MEANT something.

Shawshank redemption is not the story of andy deufrees going through hell of a prison sentence he did not deserve and escaping. It's the story of Red's redemption. Old man leaves prison after 40 years behind bars and life ruined. But he sees his friend on the beach - and we aren't mad over his lost 40 years - we are happy hes on the pacific ocean - with his friend

V has no journey - V is a vessel for johnny's story and only thing that matters is the choose your color choice on the balcony - which does NOT have a darn thing to do with what you should do after the assault. Yet the game decides your V only interested in glory and becomes uber merc to get rch and blow money on stupid stuff for a dying person.

We have no agency - the near futile endings are the stake in the heart reminding us we had no say, no agency, and nearly no hope.

Most importat thing. Seven is a MOVIE, you don't get invested in the movie, you just watch it for 2 hours and move on. So movies can have whatever crappy ending they want. Also you don't pay 60$ for the movie. In an RPG you invest hundred hours and last thing you want is to get crappy, rushed ending that ruins whole journey.

I confess, Afterlife ending is kind of weird because my V is like Regina Jones. He's an Edgerunner to help people, not be a Don.

Apparently, you missed the memo.. V is an edgerunner, who first, wants to become famous and rich, then desperately tries to survive. Making V help other people is just your way of looking at it.

Regina Jones is absolutely not a nice person. She kills Skippy in the blink of an eye and gives you a job to kill the last good cop in the city.
She is pleased if you resolve the problem without killing the cop but in the end, she does not care. If she would have cared, she would have told the corrupt cops to do it the on their own.

Well. Looks like another oversight to me.

Yorinobu wanted Hanako out of the firing line and locked her up in the Arasaka mansion. He didn it care for his other sister though.

It's just an illogical mess.

Like I said, it's possible you really did kill her.

Apparently, you missed the memo.. V is an edgerunner, who first, wants to become famous and rich, then desperately tries to survive. Making V help other people is just your way of looking at it.

Regina Jones is absolutely not a nice person. She kills Skippy in the blink of an eye and gives you a job to kill the last good cop in the city.
She is pleased if you resolve the problem without killing the cop but in the end, she does not care. If she would have cared, she would have told the corrupt cops to do it the on their own.

Skippy isn't a real person. Just like the coke machine that talks. If you have Technical high enough, you find out that some talking programs are just that advanced.

But it really does fit a game which is no longer an RPG but an action adventure game about johnny silverhand and
"become a legend of night city"

what players want choice and agency... in a game marketed for years as an RPH where their choices would matter.
we're just toxic fans demanding too much

Well you can choose to give up Night City in the Aldecado's ending.

I just don't know why you would because NIGHT CITY IS AWESOME.

:)

Top Bottom