[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
No problem, doesn't happen that often that english is not the original ;)
Yeah. Believe it or not. Germany actually has a gaming industry...

"I want to play the original version." *happy benhamin völz noises* "what is that shit? I wanted the original version!"

*Cough* Nope Cough*

Okay, the original script is written in polish and got translated into the needed language. So basiclly there is no original dubbing, yes.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah. Believe it or not. Germany actually has a gaming industry...

"I want to play the original version." *happy benhamin völz noises* "what is that shit? I wanted the original version!"

Merely a shadow of the glorious times in the 90, only a few studios are left.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm just trying to get a understanding of where people stand on the game (more specifically the ending(s).) If you could answer the poll and if you got the time to answer the questions listed below (plus add what ever you feel necessary) I would appreciate it!

All the seven ends are really dark and sad. Like really. we need a happy ending.

Edit: What do you think of the alternative endings, all of them are sad, and from what I see that people want at least one a happy one, atleast like a Top secret-Easter Egg, at least to achieve it with legendary clothes and level 50, or at least in extreme hard mode. What would be the best idea to fit?

The characters are dark as they are shaped by the dark world around them, and the endings are dark because one cannot realistically expect happy endings in this dark world. (That doesn't mean I would object to having a happy ending for people who prefer it.)

I am guessing that transhumanism is common in the fanbase for this game, at least relatively. So when V replaces arms, lungs, heart etc. with cyberware, we rejoice because we want to be more that a balloon filled with meat, blood, and shit. I wanted to leave the meatbag behind and follow Alt to become something "more". That would be a happy ending for a trasnhumanist. I think story writers missed an opportunity there. I was disappointed to find out that when you follow Alt, they show you only Johnny, without a single hint that V is out there. (Would go well with a "netrunner" background - lack of which is another source of disappointment for some)

Okay, the original script is written in polish and got translated into the needed language. So basiclly there is no original dubbing, yes.
Post automatically merged:

Merely a shadow of the glorious times in the 90, only a few studios are left.
Similar situation in Spain...

The only German games I remember playing are Drakensang. I didn't like the first one very much, but the second and its river of time expansion really liked me. I still play them from time to time. I always wanted a Drakensang 3 :/

The characters are dark as they are shaped by the dark world around them, and the endings are dark because one cannot realistically expect happy endings in this dark world. (That doesn't mean I would object to having a happy ending for people who prefer it.)
That is utter crap.
The characters are shaped the way the story teller decides, the way the player decides. There are tales about the fall of a saint, or the redemption of the worst criminal ever.
The major works in the genre have fair endings, rewarding endings, fine endings.
Stop believing that because it is a dystopia, everything is dark and grim and bad. That's nonsense.

I am guessing that transhumanism is common in the fanbase for this game, at least relatively. So when V replaces arms, lungs, heart etc. with cyberware, we rejoice because we want to be more that a balloon filled with meat, blood, and shit. I wanted to leave the meatbag behind and follow Alt to become something "more". That would be a happy ending for a trasnhumanist. I think story writers missed an opportunity there. I was disappointed to find out that when you follow Alt, they show you only Johnny, without a single hint that V is out there. (Would go well with a "netrunner" background - lack of which is another source of disappointment for some)
In the dark future of the streets of Night City, there is only war.

Really. Go and read some stories that are not from the black library

Okay sure, the character are dark because of the dark world they live in. But how does this connect to the state in which YOUR protagonist is inevitably on deathrow? Thats not dark, thats just bad.
The characters go through enough shit and need to do enough dark stuff to survive, but because of plotreasons they get the unremovable timebomb in the best case scenario. That is not really necesary now is it?

I'll add to that, it is fine if there are dark endings, a player can still choose to do so. But in this game (atm) everything is a sad/bad ending, one is just worse than the other. Even those that are basically written as a 'happy ending' are still sad because of nonsense.

[edit, dit some rephrasing]

Last edited:
The thing is.
The world is not really dark. People are living their everyday lives and try to go by. That's normal.

They are not suppressed my an authoritarian government and they get payed for their work.
Yes, the pay is not enough and they are working hard ald long hours.

What did I describe? Could be Los Angeles or Munich or night city.

Maybe its just me, but so many people here appear to be conflating "bad writing" with "dark writing."

Something can have a dark or sad ending, and still be good writing.
But the endings here are just forced and render the entire journey somewhat meaningless, making them bad writing, regardless of how happy/sad/dark they may be.

Problem is, transhumanism is touched minimaly in the game, which is a huge shame.

Maybe its just me, but so many people here appear to be conflating "bad writing" with "dark writing."

But the endings here are just forced and render the entire journey somewhat meaningless, making them bad writing, regardless of how happy/sad/dark they may be.
Never stated something different.

However. Lots of people come here and make the statement that:
cyberpunk = dark = tragic = everybody needs to be a mess when the story finishes.

Then they try to justify contradictions in lore and proof of concepts with genre.

Never stated something different.

However. Lots of people come here and make the statement that:
cyberpunk = dark = tragic = everybody needs to be a mess when the story finishes.

Then they try to justify contradictions in lore and proof of concepts with genre.

Indeed, and it is those people I am referring to.

Yes, I used the FO3 example for that before, maybe in a different topic altogether. But what I liked about that ending even though it was sad in character is that the sacrificial part happened right then and there. And thén you got the images of the highlight that you as the player have walked. That ending felt very meaningfull becasue even though you died you saw what came from that sacrifice.

And my experience here is that you get the inverted.

The thing is.
The world is not really dark. People are living their everyday lives and try to go by. That's normal.

They are not suppressed my an authoritarian government and they get payed for their work.
Yes, the pay is not enough and they are working hard ald long hours.

What did I describe? Could be Los Angeles or Munich or night city.

Well there's a tad of difference between Munich or Los Angeles and Night City. The whole Cyberpunk 2077 Night City supposedly gives off more vibes of London during the industrialization than what we got today. Meaning in a civil census you'd find mudlarks, toshers and similar stuff as "job descriptors" who barely stay alive in larger numbers than we mostly are able to imagine today.
But sure you got people living okay in the city.

Well there's a tad of difference between Munich or Los Angeles and Night City. The whole Cyberpunk 2077 Night City supposedly gives off more vibes of London during the industrialization than what we got today. Meaning in a civil census you'd find mudlarks, toshers and similar stuff as "job descriptors" who barely stay alive in larger numbers than we mostly are able to imagine today.
But sure you got people living okay in the city.
Really, people In all three cities need three jobs to pay their rent if they are not part of the upper 2% or they have to live in the absolute outskirts or crappiest districts.

Munich is north oak, Los angeres is haywood.

This is off course a bit oversimplified but in its core, it's not really wrong.
Night city clearly was inspired by new York, Chicago and Los angeles in the 80s.

I believe that the way in which Evelyn Parker's suicide was approached and one of the alternative endings can trigger users with mental illnesses, which can associate causality with a serious health problem.

In the specific case of Evelyn, can you imagine a person who has gone through similar conditions and has the idealization of this type of thing in his mind, and finds inspiration in the game?

I respectfully recommend that developers review with psychologists and psychiatrists to be removed or readjusted so as not to cause harm to vulnerable and depressed players.

Top Bottom