(SPOILERS) Will our choices from previous Witcher games really matter in Witcher 3 ?

+
Ok thank you for the answer. Have one more question- what happens with Triss and Geralt in the book at the end?

The games' events are after the events of the books, if that is what you mean ... They are separate stories.

btw who cares about Triss? Yennefer ftw :p

Well I care for Shani btw :b Well I ask about Triss cause Im confused he end up with Yennefer in the end but what happened to Triss then...

Ok thank you for the answer. Have one more question- what happens with Triss and Geralt in the book at the end?

Triss put down the riot in Rivia by summoning a hailstorm. She did not attempt to save Geralt; she knew that neither she nor Yennefer could succeed. In her last appearance, she helps to carry Geralt to the boat.

("Merigold's Hailstorm" is a spell that still has sorcerers boggling in acute disbelief. Some say it came out that way because her mouth was injured and she slurred her words; some, that it was emblematic of her courage; others, that Yennefer helped her with it.)

The game is not Witcher 2 Expansion Pack; it is Witcher 3, and it has to be substantially complete and stand on it own no matter what conditions may come from the previous game. There can't be an imported decision that cuts off any quest line or even a substantial part of a quest.

I disagree and I don't think it would affect much into main story line. Most of the important choices in witcher 2 was political and in witcher 3 political/millitary stuff is secondary content: "If we want we can impact it". So changes in those areas shouldn't conflict with "game's standing on its own" issue.

I disagree and I don't think it would affect much into main story line. Most of the important choices in witcher 2 was political and in witcher 3 political/millitary stuff is secondary content: "If we want we can impact it". So changes in those areas shouldn't conflict with "game's standing on its own" issue.

Exactly, what I'd want is the decisions I made in TW2 being reflected in:

- The dialogue
- The people I meet (if I saved them/let them live)
- The common folk/people (Witch Hunt or no Witch Hunt?)
- Secondary Missions/Quests

Like for example, I'd like to see if people are now starting to hunt Witches, I'd also like a secondary quest where I might be able to save Saskia (or end her? based on the fact if you picked up the dagger from Iorveth), or meet Iorveth again. Also, is Triss my friend or is she closer to me now? The dialogue should reflect which king is ruling over which land (and/or army) now (even if the country is occupied atm), etc, etc.

I do not want world-changing consequences (aside from the one with the witch hunt/ no witch hunt) but they should be reflected in a way, either mentioned or shown by meeting saved characters or getting an additional secondary quest (the people who haven't saved said character could get a different quest there that might hint at the possible involvement of the character if you had saved him). Stuff like that.

And I think that is not a difficult thing to do.

Good examples are the dialogue with the King in the Prologue of TW2 where Adda is mentioned, Aryan LaValette, the thing with Siegfried in Chapter 3.
A bad example is Triss in the beginning of TW2 (no Shani, no option for "just friends" until much later).

Aside form military consequences:

You can be sure to meet Iorveth/Roche again, it's somewhat confirmed by the game director. He said you can expect who to find at the start of the game based on the end of witcher 2.

For saskia, just some "Siegfried" dialogue won't cut it cos it was hard series of decisions that determined her fate at the very end of the game so if we haven't killed her I'm expecting either an ally for an important mission or enemy if she's still possessed, or we might have another chance to free her if she's still possessed and then she could be da powerful dragon ally.

In the 35 min gameplay video it's said that there were witch hunting going on in novigrad and after that I think there is no chance for there not to be a witch hunt based on earlier decisions but the state of the hunted; either witches are powerful or less powerful. So we should be able to impact that also and state of Sile-Philiippa-Saskia can be important for that.

For Triss at the start of witcher 2, it's not that unusual if we had chosen shani before cos Geralt tends to spend "quality time" with the nearest sorceress(in the books: triss-fringila) if the "one" is not around. It's just that not even mentioning Shani was bad.

Hope the spoilers mentioned here is allowed for the thread tagged accordingly so.

Last edited:
I just hope Witch hunt will continue in W3, because that's was my canon and also most favourite ending of W2! The Massacare of Loc Muinne!

I mean this sh*t was brutal!

Last edited:
I just hope Witch hunt will continue in W3, because that's was my canon and also most favourite ending of W2! The Massacare of Loc Muinne!

I mean this sh*t was brutal!

Yeah and I hope the opposite.
Yes, I know mages will now be even more mistrusted, but in the end I hope my decision to save Triss will be reflected in my relationship with her (you don't leave a companion hanging like this, it was a hard choice yes, but it was mine) and in the fact that we were actually able to separate the actions of the lodge from those of the rest of the mages.

That is important IMO so I think that should be something to carry over.

I feel like a great way to implement the choices from the previous two games is to use a system like "dragon age keep" used for the game dragon age inquisition, for those who didn't play it the idea is that you go to a website housing most or all of the important decisions from the previous games and simply pick the ones you chose in your playthroughs. Then importing that game state, via internet, at the start of the witcher 3. While i'm NEVER a fan of copying another's idea (the gaming industry lately) this simple idea would help just about any RPG be compatible to cross over to any other system with ease and no gamer frustration. That seems to be very very simple, and more importantly for the game developers CHEAP idea to set up!! For people with relatively crappy computers like me, this idea would be a godsend, we could play the PS4 witcher 3 and enjoy the orgasmic graphics for example while not having to trade our lovingly crafted story experience.

:cheers:

I'd rather have in-game version of that keep than a web-site. But it made sense in Dragon Age's case somewhat(80% of the choices I made in the keep didn't mean shit in the game) cos of the number of choices. But the real benefit of keep for EA was that it turned out to be better solution than any other drm; for players maybe a bit annoying that you can't import a physical save and have to go online to do stuff for offline gameplay.

Personally, I hope the choices from the first two games don't impact TW3 too much.

I don't want to have to replay the TW2 to get a complete experience of TW3.

Last edited:
And I hope that they will matter, especially those from finale in Loc Muinne where your choices will decide the fate of mages.

Personally, I hope the choices from the first two games don't impact TW3 too much.

I don't want to have to replay the TW2 to get a complete experience of TW3.

You can still just download a savegame, that's how I always do it with such games.
Also, I will probably replay TW2 anyway, so no problem there. The save games can be copied and saved somewhere else for later use and import.

And I hope that they will matter, especially those from finale in Loc Muinne where your choices will decide the fate of mages.

Me too, I mean that was DAMN important. If all mages are hunted and/or exterminated it means the North is way weaker.
If the Conclave was reestablished and the lodge hunted then it means the North still has magical support.
Also, it changes a lot in terms of mood and atmosphere and the way Triss and Yenneger will be looked at in some regions.

Disappointed to read in a recent interview that Witcher 1 choices will be ignored. :(

That was pretty clear from the beginning considering that TW1 did not have a lot of impact on TW2 either.
I also like it to be honest since I think that TW1 was not only just available for PC but also the first entry of the franchise which IMO is good to be relatively autonomous from the other 2 parts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom