(SPOILERS) Will our choices from previous Witcher games really matter in Witcher 3 ?

+
Importance and Consiquences of desitions made in Witcher 2, in Witcher 3 *SPOILERS*

So Im interested how CDPR will keep their promise on story continuation based on your choices in previous games before Witcher 3.

Witcher 1 choices had little to no existant importance in Witcher 2. And I wonder if it's going to be the same story with W3? I mean, decitions made in W2 made some really unique and very important endings that devided or united Kingdoms, changed situations in different regions and more. Will it be ignored?

For example my favourite ending in Witcher 2 was with the blody Massacre of mages in Loc Muinne. With sorceresses being impaled through the ass-mouth, hanged, beheaded and burned alive. In other words : "Witch Hunt or Radovid - The Impaler" ending...

That being said - Can I expect that, based on this ending, mages will be hated and / or hunted in Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? I really don't want my choices of Witcher 2 to be Completely ignored with the new story.

What is your opinion?

EDIT : This guy makes good ponts and kinda answers my questions...
Well, in reality it shouldn't be that hard. If to speak about different political situations, first of all, the war changed things. Whoever got Temeria - Radovid, Anais and Natalis, it was split between Henselt and Radovid, or into provinces - is irrelevant because it was overrun by the Nilfgaarians and turned into NML. So the only reflection can be in dialogues.

Second, we won't go to Aedirn (and Kaedwen) in TW3, so the fate of Saskia's state won't have a prominent place, and can be reflected only in dialogues as well. The same goes for Henselt's fate, Stennis' fate and the rest of Aedirn.

Last edited:
I think our choices will matter and have an impact on the same level as they did In TW2.

Huge impact would mean having two games or more into one. That's a big project and seeing how much CDPRed has invested on other areas (mechanics) like: open world, new combat system, Horse combat/riding, swimming etc , i don't expect huge consequences from our choices from the previous games.

I don't expect anything beyond minimal influence. More like a nod; a nice gesture to the fans, but nothing else. For two reasons.

First, I never got the impression from the Reds based on their interviews and articles about them that they're placing significant choices-crossover from the previous games as a primary goal of the third one. And before someone fishes some solitary interview where it's announced, then I'll say that it's not that they never mentioned any sort of choices crossover, only that they don't frequently talk about it, as well as never emphasize the extent. BioWare, in contrast, tend to talk about it much because it's become something of a trademark of theirs in recent years. By comparison, with CDPR it feels like an afterthought. Basically, I never felt that CDPR promised anything major in this field.

Second, the nature of the third game makes me doubt that choices in the previous ones will matter much. In general, because of how ambitious it is. It's a zero-sum situation and there's only so much the developers can accomplish before they wear themselves thin. In specific, and more importantly - because CDPR are known for solid stories. The immediate response might be "if they're after good stories, then it's obvious that they'll want to connect them all in an impressive manner". Maybe. But it's a question of resource-management, again - what do you prioritize? Something has to go. If you don't tie this story very tightly with the others, than the experience of the trilogy, as a trilogy, won't be as impactful. On the other hand, it lets you create in the third game, by itself, something that is much more stunning than if you would have spent time and effort to bind it to the former games.

I also think that CDPR want this to be a relatively disconnected and stand-alone story, like the first and second were. Not only and not mainly to let it be more accessible to new-comers, but because it gives them more control in designing the story they want. If they focus on choices from the previous games mattering a lot, then they're essentially tying their own hands due to their past games. It limits how much they can renew things. Of course, if you believe that CDPR had from the start, or at least from the second game, a very fleshed out idea of what to do with the story of the third, then connecting them will be easier. It's just not where I'm coming from. I think they had only a very general idea in mind of what to do with Geralt after the events of Assassins of Kings, but ironing out the details will happen only during the development of the third.

Just my simple analysis. Could be that I'm talking out of my ass.

Last edited:
I imagine that it will cover minor plot and characters details as the Mass Effect series' save files did.

Edit: It would be great if someone would enlighten us a bit more.

Last edited:
My expectation is that the political set up of the world at the end of Witcher 2 will be mentioned in Witcher 3, but mainly by unimportant NPCs and journal entries. I expect that as you progress through the story you will hear about how Nilfguaard's invasion is progressing, and which kingdoms stood against them and which kingdoms fell. But you won't see it first hand because the Witcher 3 doesn't take place anywhere near the locations of the first two games. So most of your world-changing choices from TW2 will only be mentioned in passing.

As for characters, I really hope the bonds you formed with other characters matter in TW3. I'd like to have how I treated them mentioned when I encounter them in game. Obviously CDPR can't change things too much. But say if I helped Iorveth defend Vergen from Kaedwen in TW2 I'd like to have that mentioned by Iorveth when I meet him in TW3. And if I didn't help him and instead I helped Roche then I'd like him to be spiteful about it.

They don't need to change too much. Just a couple lines of dialogue to recognize my choices. And as others have mentioned, they better not pull a fast one with your romance choices from TW1 and TW2 (technically you don't have romance options in TW2, but you can reject Triss if you want to.)

EDIT: One other note. It would be interesting if some of the minor characters you slept with returned in TW3 :p Just some of the more memorable ones like Venessa Hood, Abigail, Ves, and Cynthia.

Last edited:
I don't expect anything beyond minimal influence. More like a nod; a nice gesture to the fans, but nothing else. For two reasons.

First, I never got the impression from the Reds based on their interviews and articles about them that they're placing significant choices-crossover from the previous games as a primary goal of the third one. And before someone fishes some solitary interview where it's announced, then I'll say that it's not that they never mentioned any sort of choices crossover, only that they don't frequently talk about it, as well as never emphasize the extent. BioWare, in contrast, tend to talk about it much because it's become something of a trademark of theirs in recent years. By comparison, with CDPR it feels like an afterthought. Basically, I never felt that CDPR promised anything major in this field.

Second, the nature of the third game makes me doubt that choices in the previous ones will matter much. In general, because of how ambitious it is. It's a zero-sum situation and there's only so much the developers can accomplish before they wear themselves thin. In specific, and more importantly - because CDPR are known for solid stories. The immediate response might be "if they're after good stories, then it's obvious that they'll want to connect them all in an impressive manner". Maybe. But it's a question of resource-management, again - what do you prioritize? Something has to go. If you don't tie this story very tightly with the others, than the experience of the trilogy, as a trilogy, won't be as impactful. On the other hand, it lets you create in the third game, by itself, something that is much more stunning than if you would have spent time and effort to bind it to the former games.

I also think that CDPR want this to be a relatively disconnected and stand-alone story, like the first and second were. Not only and not mainly to let it be more accessible to new-comers, but because it gives them more control in designing the story they want. If they focus on choices from the previous games mattering a lot, then they're essentially tying their own hands due to their past games. It limits how much they can renew things. Of course, if you believe that CDPR had from the start, or at least from the second game, a very fleshed out idea of what to do with the story of the third, then connecting them will be easier. It's just not where I'm coming from. I think they had only a very general idea in mind of what to do with Geralt after the events of Assassins of Kings, but ironing out the details will happen only during the development of the third.

Just my simple analysis. Could be that I'm talking out of my ass.

I totally agree. The mass effect games for example, made me like the first part more, because ME2 was just a useless "bridge" for the actual important things of 3 to being set up imo, and 3 on its own was basically a big ending, the only one that felt relatively complete and well balanced with left-open story arches, and closed story arches, to me, was the first game.

I prefer TW3 to not have to account for previous decisions in the other two games heavily, and instead for it to be more free and independent.

Alongside dialog changes, and character reactions to our past actions. I suspect we will be getting help from certain characters for the decisions we made. Letho, Iorveth, Saskia, etc.

Imagine if CDPR went Bioware route regarding choice and consequence (by completely nullifying them!).
For example ME1 choice between that gay squad mate and the sharp tongued bitch,I hated them both but unfortunately you couldn't abandon them both... The one you saved appears again in ME3 but it doesn't matters who you saved before,they both play exactly same role - serving as the bodyguard and even say same things/die same way ! It was horrible.
Even though very little imports from TW1 to TW2 it handled very well in regard of our biggest decision,seeing Siegfried was awesome (logically he should appear in TW3 as well)

Imagine if CDPR went Bioware route regarding choice and consequence (by completely nullifying them!).
For example ME1 choice between that gay squad mate and the sharp tongued bitch,I hated them both but unfortunately you couldn't abandon them both... The one you saved appears again in ME3 but it doesn't matters who you saved before,they both play exactly same role - serving as the bodyguard and even say same things/die same way ! It was horrible.
Even though very little imports from TW1 to TW2 it handled very well in regard of our biggest decision,seeing Siegfried was awesome (logically he should appear in TW3 as well)

You could choose to kill the wild hunt, control the wild hunt, or join the wild hunt. Irregardless of you characters friendships, or personal beliefs that is all you could do.

You could choose to kill the wild hunt, control the wild hunt, or join the wild hunt. Irregardless of you characters friendships, or personal beliefs that is all you could do.
Yeah,and after finding Ciri all you do is gather an army that consist of Redanian,Temerian,Kaedwen forces,Knights of the Order,Scoiatel,sorceresses,so called monsters like werewolf and vampires that are loyal ect. against Wild Hind.
Great plot,10/10

Yeah,and after finding Ciri all you do is gather an army that consist of Redanian,Temerian,Kaedwen forces,Knights of the Order,Scoiatel,sorceresses,so called monsters like werewolf and vampires that are loyal ect. against Wild Hind.
Great plot,10/10

However you don't actually get to use any of those forces despite spending around a hundred hours collecting them. You only get to control the wild hunt, join the wild hunt, or destroy the wild hunt.

Last edited:
While it may not initially be the optimal solution, [due to voice dialogue, or lack thereof], its good that modding is an option for The Witcher.
Though its not quite as prominent on youtube, etc., like Skyrim, the choice is still there. [At least for those who play the PC version... Mac does not have this option yet.]

Then at the epilogue, Alvin from TW1 appears as the “catalyst" and introduces you the three options.

The fact that they're making an easy way for console users to make TW2 choices makes me think they will matter. Matter more so than The Witcher 1 to 2 anyway.

This will be the first time a Witcher game is released on consoles (blecht ... sorry, I always throw up in my mouth a little bit when I mention consoles) at the same time it is released on PC. This means there will be A LOT of gamers playing their first Witcher game. They won't have the experience and knowledge from the previous 2 games as they go into TW3.

Because they'd have no knowledge of "past events" in the previous games, it'd make it that much more difficult to wrap previous game decisions into TW3. As soon as you bring up politics or decision points from the previous 2 games, a new player would be left in the dark. CDPR would literally have to pick a particular decision path and force it upon TW3, which just wouldn't make any sense. Mild references to previous characters and events is about as far as I see CDPR being able to take it.

This will be the first time a Witcher game is released on consoles (blecht ... sorry, I always throw up in my mouth a little bit when I mention consoles) at the same time it is released on PC. This means there will be A LOT of gamers playing their first Witcher game. They won't have the experience and knowledge from the previous 2 games as they go into TW3.

Because they'd have no knowledge of "past events" in the previous games, it'd make it that much more difficult to wrap previous game decisions into TW3. As soon as you bring up politics or decision points from the previous 2 games, a new player would be left in the dark. CDPR would literally have to pick a particular decision path and force it upon TW3, which just wouldn't make any sense. Mild references to previous characters and events is about as far as I see CDPR being able to take it.

Pretty much expect this is going to happen for the aforementioned reasons regarding consoles. This is coming from a player who played TW2 first, then played TW1 and replayed TW2 again.

I just hope there will be at least a fair amount of cameos featuring some of TW2 characters. Namely: Iorveth, Saskia, Letho, Roche, Cythia, Eilhart etc. Not expecting for fully fleshed side quests (though that would be ideal) but hopefully some unique dialogue options.

King of the Wild Hunt

I played just witcher 1, and I killed this guy in the end.
What happens in witcher 2?
And how this guy is back in witcher 3 if I killed him in w1? Or just game ignore your past decisions?

Top Bottom