Stealth system ?

+
Stealth system ?

Hi! I don't know if this has been discussed but i would like to know if there are any news or information regarding the stealth system.
First of all, will the game have a stealth mechanic ? if yes, will it be available in some certain quests like in witcher 2 or can we go stealth during the night and hide whenever we want. Is anything confirmed related to stealth?

"A shame" says the Stealth player in me.
"Thank Heavens" says the guy who had to play through the prison section and wanted to do it Stealthy.

But the prison section wasn't so bad. Stealth was a good idea, but it would have been based on some skills, with better animation, a better camera and a more intuitive cover system

Witchers are monster hunters, and in some cases, they need to know how to keep a low profile if they are tracking a predator. I thought the stealth mechanic in TW2 was an interesting and fun idea, especially with the prison break. It definitely needed some work and polishing, but I'm under the impression Geralt won't be imprisoned this time around.

For me stealth in the witcher was pretty easy for me, I died some many times on kaedweni barracks, but isn't really impossible
The problem is that I found kinda easy the prison because I really like stealth (beating hitman killing only the targets and it the way that could give more points possible and beating dishonored with the good end and killing no more than two to five people each stage -except first phase were I killed 37 guys-), but for someone who doesn't like stealth it will get mad in the prison mission because he's obbligated
And is kinda obvious geralt fights, so who buys it knows it and like to fight, they don't need to like stealth

Last edited:
I know that stealth is not needed in a game like the witcher because most of the time there are only duels , Monster hunts , open battles etc.. But imagine for a moment a village that is occupied by a band of bandits or maybe by a group of the wild hunt and you have to save the villagers. It's a good thing to give the player the ability to take them out quietly rather than making a big fuss. This only adds to the different approaches and styles. It doesn't affect immersion at all imo.

I don't think anyone would seriously argue against a high quality stealth system that is just an additional option which doesn't force itself on you. The question is whether or not CDPR have the time and resources to invest in creating a whole new, quality, gameplay mechanic to this extent? There's only so much they can do. I occasionally worry that they already have too much on their plate. So in these circumstances I'm happy they're not also trying to expand towards stealth mechanics as well.

If they can't do it to an excellent level, they better not do it at all, I think. I don't like half-assed additions to games, just for the sake of saying they have this or that feature. I much prefer they focus on what they're good at and polish it up until it's amazing.

I know that stealth is not needed in a game like the witcher because most of the time there are only duels , Monster hunts , open battles etc.. But imagine for a moment a village that is occupied by a band of bandits or maybe by a group of the wild hunt and you have to save the villagers. It's a good thing to give the player the ability to take them out quietly rather than making a big fuss. This only adds to the different approaches and styles. It doesn't affect immersion at all imo.
Well, Geralt likes spectacle...He is known as Butcher of Blaviken, after all :devil:

I don't think the game needs every feature under the rainbow. I'm glad stealth was removed and they are focusing on other mechanics. I don't want the game to end up like a modern Bethesda game where everything is mediocre or bad because they try to include every single feature. They tried stealth before and it didn't end up to be all that good so they decided to just leave it. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think the game needs every feature under the rainbow. I'm glad stealth was removed and they are focusing on other mechanics. I don't want the game to end up like a modern Bethesda game where everything is mediocre or bad because they try to include every single feature. They tried stealth before and it didn't end up to be all that good so they decided to just leave it. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd say that is a bit harsh. There is no reason to not be ambitious and try and offer a well-rounded experience. Sure, BGS faltered to some degree and Skyrim suffered, but that's why there is a modding community. They have the best there is, so any faults in the game are repaired by the fans. CDPR should learn from BGS and really push to make modding a central feature of their games going forward. It has done wonders for The Elder Scrolls. You know you are doing something right when a "mediocre . . . modern Bethesda game" is able to sell 20 million copies, which barely any other game in the industry can actually achieve. Lets also not forget that the modding community for Skyrim is limited to PC, which is their minority fan base...

Either way, with respect to TW3, stealth really isn't too much of a loss. It was a fun feature for TW2, especially since it played into the story. Otherwise, it really wasn't necessary, and certainly Geralt is not an assassin or a thief. I'd like to see if there is any practical nature to underwater exploration though. Or is it just the new "stealth" for TW3?

I am absolutely delighted the stealth system is removed it was pretty bad and the didn't fit in Witcher which plays like an old-school RPG with focused mechanics than your modern 'action adventure' game where every mechanic ever made needs to be present.

I absolutely love(adore) stealth games but only when it's done properly and the key to that is level design(also read as Thief 1, 2, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory) so an open-world game with stealth is a laughable idea to me because it will have really flaky mechanics. Maybe MGS V will pull it off but for now nah, the less clutter the better.

I'd say that is a bit harsh. There is no reason to not be ambitious and try and offer a well-rounded experience. Sure, BGS faltered to some degree and Skyrim suffered, but that's why there is a modding community. They have the best there is, so any faults in the game are repaired by the fans. CDPR should learn from BGS and really push to make modding a central feature of their games going forward. It has done wonders for The Elder Scrolls. You know you are doing something right when a "mediocre . . . modern Bethesda game" is able to sell 20 million copies, which barely any other game in the industry can actually achieve. Lets also not forget that the modding community for Skyrim is limited to PC, which is their minority fan base...

Either way, with respect to TW3, stealth really isn't too much of a loss. It was a fun feature for TW2, especially since it played into the story. Otherwise, it really wasn't necessary, and certainly Geralt is not an assassin or a thief. I'd like to see if there is any practical nature to underwater exploration though. Or is it just the new "stealth" for TW3?
I think it's dangerous ground for a company to hope that modders fix it, or for fans to not care about mediocrity because modders may make it a bit better. Modders should be able to spend time making interesting new content instead of fixing gameplay mechanics. Sales don't equal quality either and I think that should be obvious. Off topic though

The stealth, combat, magic, etc is all very mediocre in Skyrim I found. They try so many different things and end up doing none of them very well. I don't want that to happen with The Witcher 3. I prefer to have a few big mechanics and have them done very well. There is a reason not to be too ambitious too. Not enough time, money, demand. The Witcher 3 is very ambitious for a studio like CDprojektRed already I think.

Underwater? I don't think that's comparable to a stealth system. You can find treasure and stuff underwater I think they said.

I think it's dangerous ground for a company to hope that modders fix it, or for fans to not care about mediocrity because modders may make it a bit better. Modders should be able to spend time making interesting new content instead of fixing gameplay mechanics. Sales don't equal quality either and I think that should be obvious. Off topic though

The stealth, combat, magic, etc is all very mediocre in Skyrim I found. They try so many different things and end up doing none of them very well. I don't want that to happen with The Witcher 3. I prefer to have a few big mechanics and have them done very well. There is a reason not to be too ambitious too. Not enough time, money, demand. The Witcher 3 is very ambitious for a studio like CDprojektRed already I think.

Underwater? I don't think that's comparable to a stealth system. You can find treasure and stuff underwater I think they said.

Well again "mediocrity" is a rather subjective term. Was the game simplistic for the sake of being user-friendly and accessible? Yes. I don't believe that's necessarily a bad thing, as I believe the foundation of TES actually has a really great combat system. BGS just needs to figure out ways of adding more depth and complexity to the system, which is difficult for a first person RPG. It's much easier to make a quality combat system for a third person RPG.

With respect to modders, they are going to change everything regardless of how good it may be. That's the point of modding, to improve and to revamp features to your taste. The more modding in all aspects of the game, the more the community, as a whole, benefits. On the contrary, sales can be a rather good indicator of a game's quality, especially when it sells 20 million copies. As I said before, very few studios produce games that generate those kinds of numbers, and BGS isn't exactly new to the rodeo when it comes to making Game of the Year titles (their last four games have all been critically-acclaimed and have had great success).

Again, agree to disagree. Certainly not everything about Skyrim is top quality, but I believe that's a gross generalization of what is actually an amazing RPG. In fact it was so influential that DAI and TW3 are emulating Skyrim quite a bit. Again, combat won't likely be a concern considering Skyrim is a first person RPG, but CDPR is taking a lot of cues from the Batman: Arkham games to create a nice, polished, and addictive combat system.

CDPR has definitely raised the stakes. Making an open world RPG is incredibly difficult. There's a reason why BGS has been the only developer to actually have success making them for the past twenty years. Certainly TW3 has a lot to prove, and it definitely is ambitious trying to combine non-linear, mature storytelling and an open world experience. Essentially you are combining the best features of a BGS game with the best features of a BioWare game with a CDPR spin on things to seal the final product.

TW3 has a lot of potential to truly make headway and a new standard for RPGs as there is no RPG that has done a fantastic job of impactful storytelling while having a huge and immersive world. I haven't personally seen CDPR talk about underwater at all. I'm sure you are right, and hopefully there is a benefit to the feature rather than it being an occasional navigation tool. Just from what we have seen so far, it seems like it could be another stealth system. Not really necessary or needed, but just another feature for the sake of having one. We'll see though.

Well again "mediocrity" is a rather subjective term. Was the game simplistic for the sake of being user-friendly and accessible? Yes.
Really? For me combat/sneak in skyrim was one of the weak points (and i think in the witcher 2 was even worse). The sword fight was really limited, the magics were the same (ice bolt, thunder bolt, fire bolt;summon fire spirit, that has ranged attack and 10 damage, summon ice spirit, ranged 25 damaege, summon thunder soirit, ranged with 35 damage... And so goes on). And sneak was by far better developed, mixing blades,spells and positioning, but just compare with dishonored and you'll see how many light years is far the skyrim stealth (used as example because is another bethesda game) (the great on skyrim was the atmosphere and the mmo off-line style). But this is my opinion, as stated by you, is subjective, for me the simplistic game was a fault
Again, agree to disagree. Certainly not everything about Skyrim is top quality, but I believe that's a gross generalization of what is actually an amazing RPG. In fact it was so influential that DAI and TW3 are emulating Skyrim quite a bit. Again, combat won't likely be a concern considering Skyrim is a first person RPG, but CDPR is taking a lot of cues from the Batman: Arkham games to create a nice, polished, and addictive combat system.
Well that's cause the great on skyrim was this, no one is copying skyrim combat or skyrim story, but his world style ,and this is not a totally good thing, DAI tried this so hard that probably some core features were broken (perhaps an example related with EA is always a bad example, and batman arknight and tw3 are using the open world for good)

And sales aren't argument (cough cough AC cough cough CoD cough cough)

Now, I don't need a masterpiece stealth if is optional, some times some stealth system realistic is nice and so, and also stealth for some moments, I don't want it to be a common feature or even make it as a fix feature, I mean a stealth like skyrim were you activate/deactivate it (the reference to skyrim is only an example, I'm not trying to talk bad about it)

Really? For me combat/sneak in skyrim was one of the weak points (and i think in the witcher 2 was even worse). The sword fight was really limited, the magics were the same (ice bolt, thunder bolt, fire bolt;summon fire spirit, that has ranged attack and 10 damage, summon ice spirit, ranged 25 damaege, summon thunder soirit, ranged with 35 damage... And so goes on). And sneak was by far better developed, mixing blades,spells and positioning, but just compare with dishonored and you'll see how many light years is far the skyrim stealth (used as example because is another bethesda game) (the great on skyrim was the atmosphere and the mmo off-line style). But this is my opinion, as stated by you, is subjective, for me the simplistic game was a fault

Well that's cause the great on skyrim was this, no one is copying skyrim combat or skyrim story, but his world style ,and this is not a totally good thing, DAI tried this so hard that probably some core features were broken (perhaps an example related with EA is always a bad example, and batman arknight and tw3 are using the open world for good)

And sales aren't argument (cough cough AC cough cough CoD cough cough)

Now, I don't need a masterpiece stealth if is optional, some times some stealth system realistic is nice and so, and also stealth for some moments, I don't want it to be a common feature or even make it as a fix feature, I mean a stealth like skyrim were you activate/deactivate it (the reference to skyrim is only an example, I'm not trying to talk bad about it)

I personally always enjoyed how immersive and engaging combat is in The Elder Scrolls. I love the fact that I control my left hand and right hand. I can choose to block, shield bash, power attack, swing vertically or horizontally, and the addition of killing moves was a fantastic compliment. Is it perfect? No. I believe BGS has a great foundation for their first person combat, however, and just need to work to polish and add to it. As far as sneaking is concerned, I personally enjoyed having to hide in the shadows, wait, and then come up behind for an assassination. Some of my most memorable moments were doing the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild with that kind of gameplay. There's always room for improvement, but it was certainly fun and enjoyable for me.

Also, I should point out that Skyrim is made by Bethesda Game Studios, and Dishonored is made by Arkane Studios. Bethesda Softworks is the publisher (BGS used to be a part of them pre-Morrowind) and they are all under the umbrella of ZeniMax Inc. So as far as the studio and developers are concerned, there is no cross-over between The Elder Scrolls and Dishonored. Secondly, Dishonored was a mediocre assassin game. Part of the reason I say this is because if you wanted a low chaos (good) ending you couldn't actually kill. You had to knockout every enemy and take out major targets in non-lethal ways. Not to mention most of the tools and powers you received were for killing, so no, I don't believe Dishonored was a great assassin game. It tried to mesh Bioshock and Thief into one with rough results. The game was okay, but vastly overrated.

As far as fun and being able to choose what I could do, I must enjoyed doing finishing moves with a dagger in Skyrim rather than the monotony of knocking out enemies or using sleep darts to incapacitate them in Dishonored. Just my personal opinion on the matter.

BGS and TES is known for making the best open world RPGs in the industry. We can debate the quality of their products, but their success is irrefutable. As far as DAI, it's not a true open world. In order to prevent the story from being crippled, they needed some structure and have divided Thedas into large zones. It's essentially DAO on steroids. It's not really like Skyrim at all, even though BioWare did use Skyrim as a template for exploration. TW3 is much more like Skyrim as CDPR even admitted to using the open world template for TW3.

Also, sales are a very valid point. The difference between Skyrim and AC or CoD is that it's not an annual release. Ubisoft and Activision can release the same crap every year and people will eat it up. A better comparison is to compare Skyrim to Grand Theft Auto. Both franchises release a new installment every five years or so and have sold over 20 million copies from one game alone. Not to mention, all of Rockstar's and BGS's most recent games have won GoTY, respectively, back to back. So on the contrary, I have to disagree. From Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim, we have seen huge leaps in innovation, creativity, and reimagining of the franchise. To not recognize these realities is to do the monumental achievement of The Elder Scrolls a huge disservice. BGS is one of the few developers that actually pioneers and innovates in each and every one of their games. They don't do typical sequels, and CDPR is following their line of philosophy as well by truly building from the ground up each new game.

As far as TW3 is concerned, I think a stealth mechanic could have been interesting with monster hunting. If you cause too much noise or don't conceal yourself well enough on the hunt, you may gain the attention of the predator and it may try to preemptively attack you or run away. There could have been possibilities, but again I'm not overly-concerned by its omission.

Top Bottom