The Continuity Problem with the Toussaint Expansion

+
The Continuity Problem with the Toussaint Expansion

As you can see in the spoiler below, Toussaint is very far from where the main storyline of TW3 takes place. I don't see any reason why Geralt would travel halfway across the world to "uncover an ancient, bloody secret", when he's busy searching for Ciri or fighting the Wild Hunt.

I would suggest placing the Toussaint expansion post-game, but that only works with 2 of the endings (witcher, and timeskip in empress), which means we are faced with another continuity issue.

I can't really see how this expansion would fit within the narrative of the game without excluding one of the endings or completely sidelining the main quest.

The fanservice side of me wants it to take place after the endings, because Geralt promised he'd take Ciri to visit Toussaint in the books, and it would be a good chance to have ice skating. But, as I said earlier, that won't work out and there doesn't really seem to be any way to reasonably incorporate this expansion into the main story without messing some things up.

The Oxenfurt expansion is fine to take place during the main quest, I'd imagine it as a big sidequest, and since it's nearby (Oxenfurt) it's totally fine.

Attachments

• why.jpg
    why.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 3,406
i am interesting to see the rationale behind Toussaint because it doesn't really fit neatly round the main quest structure given its location. Wonder if Geralt is going to be dumped there by magical means.

I dont know. By that logic he should also be skipping every single witcher contract and side quest in the game since ciri is so important : D

The expansions will be standalone, with no conection of the main history www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-10-two-witcher-3-expansions-combine-to-equal-roughly-the-witcher-2-in-length

Last edited:
As you can see in the spoiler below, Toussaint is very far from where the main storyline of TW3 takes place. I don't see any reason why Geralt would travel halfway across the world to "uncover an ancient, bloody secret", when he's busy searching for Ciri or fighting the Wild Hunt.

I would suggest placing the Toussaint expansion post-game, but that only works with 2 of the endings (witcher, and timeskip in empress), which means we are faced with another continuity issue.

I can't really see how this expansion would fit within the narrative of the game without excluding one of the endings or completely sidelining the main quest.

The fanservice side of me wants it to take place after the endings, because Geralt promised he'd take Ciri to visit Toussaint in the books, and it would be a good chance to have ice skating. But, as I said earlier, that won't work out and there doesn't really seem to be any way to reasonably incorporate this expansion into the main story without messing some things up.

The Oxenfurt expansion is fine to take place during the main quest, I'd imagine it as a big sidequest, and since it's nearby (Oxenfurt) it's totally fine.

It's simple. After the Battle of Kaer Morhen, Geralt is looking for the former members of the Lodge. One of them is Fringilla Vigo whose location could be easily Toussaint. The Duchess is her cousin and, in the books, Geralt met her there and he would only need a portal.

However, if you still thinks that this doesn't fit to the main quest, just think that the story of the W3, from my point of view, it's full of holes so another one wouldn't be a problem

In the world where people can teleport, distance does not matter. If Geralt needs to find someone/something, CDPR can move the action even to Zerrikania. We did go to a bunch of other worlds, after all. What is some Toussaint?

No, I don't think so. Toussaint doesn't interfere in politics, that's why it is kind of "free" and can do most things on it's own (without consequences by Nilfgaard).

I know it's a long shot but I'm expecting to see Anäis Lavalette in Toussaint as some kind of "high class" refugee. If this happen, it could have some impact in the game

I know it's a long shot but I'm expecting to see Anäis Lavalette in Toussaint as some kind of "high class" refugee. If this happen, it could have some impact in the game

Even if that's the case, I highly doubt she (or other characters) will have any real impact. That would mean people who don't buy the expansion have less story.
Maybe CDP could use this expansion to give further explanation on some plot holes. That's all I think.

So, the expansions won't affect to the main endings?. To the political consequences I mean
For me Political plots in TW3 is secundary (quests) dont belong do Main History, The wild Hunt is the principal plot in TW3, whats mean "Find CIRI and Save her from the wild hunter.

in the same interview you can read : The secondexpansion, Blood & Wine, will be set in a completely new place and be based on an old Polish tale

Blood and Wine, a 20-hour-plus tale that will introduce the all-new in-game region of Toussaint, will take Geralt to a land untainted by war, where an atmosphere of carefree indulgence and knightly ritual masks an ancient, bloody secret. I think the developers already said that it will be an entirely new quest-line and it will be as big as The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings. That could mean that it has nothing to do with what's currently happening with The Wild Hunt and Ciri's issue, not sure how it's supposed to fit in-between those events. But I'm guessing it would be best to head there after we finish the main story-line.

---------- Updated at 05:36 AM ----------

Im hoping for an option for geralt to ask either triss or yen to go with him, they can then just teleport there.

I would like that too!

---------- Updated at 05:40 AM ----------

So, the expansions won't affect to the main endings?. To the political consequences I mean

It could add more to it, I doubt it will change the current political consequences, maybe more romance options or extending the current ones, they did say it's a land untainted by war, which means whatever is happening with the war and the current world state doesn't concern over there.

Ideally, the expansion will tie back into the main story in SOME way. There's a lot of creativity and ingenuity involved in such a process, but I hope CDPR tries to do so and not leave it completely standalone. The basic idea is we should not travel to Touissant just because we can (or just because someone says so). The base game has ~5 different exploration areas and Geralt has to travel to each one at least once as part of the story. I don't see why Touissant should be different.

I'm 99% sure that travelling to Toussant will be tied to the main plot somehow. I think that Toussaint will become available after the Battle of Kaer Morhen and Bald Mountain, when Geralt and Ciri return to Novigrad. After completing all the Novigrad based quests (Final Preparations), before the 'Battle Preparations' quest tells you to sail to Skellige you should meet with Yen, Triss, Philippa and Rita, who tell you that Fringilla has last been heard from in Toussaint (instead of being arrested by the Emperor like in the base game). They then encourage you to travel to Toussaint and find her, at this point in the game it would make sense for Geralt to take Ciri and his love interest (Yen/Triss/None) with him because why not? Once in Toussaint Geralt would start a short questline (maybe with some content for Ciri) where Geralt will either:
A - discover that Fringilla Vigo has been arrested by Emhyr and the game continues as normal, with the 'Veni Vidi Vigo' quest in Skellige. Or...
B - find Fringilla Vigo, do a short main quest with her (possibly romantic) which ends with her heading to Novigrad to meet up with the rest of the Lodge. Therefore removing the short 'Veni Vidi Vigo' quest from the game. Or...
C - find Fringilla Vigo, do a short main quest with her (possibly romantic) which ends with her arrested by Emhyr anyway. Therefore you must do the short 'Veni Vidi Vigo' quest in Skellige anyway.
Of the 3 possibilities I think C is most likely, A would be my least favourite eventuality, but personally I would like a combination of B and C where a choice in Fringilla's Toussaint quest would determine whether B or C happens, that would be amazing! The main Toussaint Quest will then set up the Toussaint side quests, maybe Anna Henrietta playing a role similar to that of Crach an Craite in Skellige by asking favours of Geralt.

Also having Toussaint locked to post Bald Mountain means it can have some high level side quests and contracts, lvl 30+, something that was lacking from the base game...

Top Bottom