The Dandelion thread - The Spooniest Bard of them All

+
The Dandelion thread - The Spooniest Bard of them All

We've got Triss threads and Yennefer threads and even a Nilfgaard thread but what about the greatest love of Geralt's life? Yes, his bro! Dandelion is, arguably, THE most important person in Geralt's life after Ciri and certainly a constant presence yet he makes almost no appearance in the main plot.

I have no complaints about his "heist and rescue" storyline or even the part where he's repairing his brothel into a cabaret because, really, they ARE HILARIOUS and AWESOME stories, but his part in the main story is almost nonexistent.

No, Dandelion isn't a warrior but he'd still be there at Kaer Morhen, cheering everyone up.

We also really should have found out what happened with him and Priscilla.

Also, you'd think Geralt should be able to discuss the whole Ciri situation with him beyond,. "Yeah, I helped her. Good luck with what comes next!"

I think any Enhanced Edition should involve a chance to discuss Ciri, Nilfgaard, and so on.

Hell, why does he not mention the War? HE WROTE THE MASSACRE OF CINTRA. He also wrote the Ballad which immortalized Sodden Hill. You'd think he'd be a bit concerned about the Third War.

But he doesn't even acknowledge it exists.

To each their own, I guess, but I've always hated Dandelion. He's annoying. He is to The Witcher what Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars. :)

I like Dandelion, he is sort of there for comedic relief but when we are talking about a mature story where comedy isn't always required then there is only so far you can take a character like Dandelion. Still would be nice to learn about what happened between him and Priscilla.

I like Dandelion, he is sort of there for comedic relief but when we are talking about a mature story where comedy isn't always required then there is only so far you can take a character like Dandelion. Still would be nice to learn about what happened between him and Priscilla.

His character was quite well developed in the books, I can agree that he was just comedic relief for the most part in TW3 though. But a lot of characters seem to have gotten hit with the *not enough screen time* issue I think and it takes time for a character like Dandy to show his full persona.

His character was quite well developed in the books, I can agree that he was just comedic relief for the most part in TW3 though. But a lot of characters seem to have gotten hit with the *not enough screen time* issue I think and it takes time for a character like Dandy to show his full persona.

Absolutely, CDPR could of created any number of storylines connected to the main plot or not where Dandelion could of been more prevalent but what we got is just what we got (at least for the moment), Dandelion is very important to Geralt so to see him almost disappear after finding Priscilla's attacker didn't feel right especially because i love the sarcasm Geralt shows towards him. There are many characters that could of had more screen time and i guess you can add Dandelion to that list.

After all the crap I had to do to find him, and especially with what happened with Priscilla, I expected him to be in the story more. We get what, one line from him after that?
Mentioning that Avallac'h had taken the best room. I'd at least thought he'd get some interaction with Ciri. We got these mini side quests with her visiting the barkeep and the mummers troupe, how about visit Dandelion who remembered the words of Eredin's curse, which in turn lead Geralt eventually to her on the Isle of Mists?
I at least thought he was going to accompany the whole gang in the final act. I was disappointed. :(

Dandelion was a great character in the books,but in the games he was just a comic relief.We barely saw his awesome friendship with Geralt,hell,we barely saw Dandelion himself.Also he was much funnier in the books.

@Willowhugger

You have a knack for creating interesting threads. I like Dandelion in the books (from what I have read thus far, still reading them) but also like him in the game. I can see how some see him as being obnoxious (at least in the games), but I think he provides a much needed balance. The continent is a pretty grim place, but I think (perhaps because of that) that it is in need of a good storyteller. I also like how he bungles almost everything he gets involved in, and I liked his interactions with Priscilla: their spats, kind words, genuine concern...it rounded out his character quite a bit, if you know what I mean. I did feel he didn't get what he was due, given this is Geralt's last tale, and would have appreciated some more screen time and interaction, and he definitely deserved some final slides and some sort of closure to Priscilla's fate and where they went from there.

I did also expect that he would mention himself in the epilogue slide show, providing some speculation here and there, leaving certain topics hanging while fleshing out others all in a spirit of sarcasm and aggrandizment. All in all, I enjoyed his screen time but was left wanting more I guess, in addition to some closure to his own story, Priscilla's fate, and of course Zoltan's as well. It felt a little out of character that the Dandelion we know not only wouldn't mention himself more, but forget to comment on current events, speculate on other characters' fates, and, in general, be more like Dandelion​.

Last edited:
I'd have liked to have had more quests with Dandelion and Zoltan. The ones that are in the game are great, and they're two well written characters.

It's funny though, that I think some of the best scenes you get with Dandelion are done while he's still in prison. i.e. Broken Flowers, the portrait in the Rosemary and Thyme. etc.

Dandelion, for me, fulfills the everyman perspective of the Witcher despite his world famous poet status. I think he provides a nice contrast to the dreary and dour Geralt as well as a sense of levity that is needed. I also think he's really necessary to give us a sense of larger perspective on events which might otherwise be absent.

Dandelion's presence in the game is awesome, don't get me wrong. I love the whole comedy of errors which is finding him. The whole scene where you're looking for him by trying to find his most recent lovers and it's TWO PAGES LONG is some of the most hilarious ****ing stuff I've seen in a video game.
I also love Priscilla and how Dandelion asking you to kill whoever responsible is grossly out of character.

But feels right.

The problem is that he is divorced from the main narrative and that really doesn't feel right. The Dandelion of the books was the guy who united the North against Nilfgaard with his ballads, accidentally got Ciri outed to the various factions, and is one of Geralt's...no, IS Geralt's closest friend.
So much so that I would totally have my Geralt kick Triss and Yennefer to the curb if he has to save Dandy.

Bards before Babes, man.
He's just underdeveloped.

I wished they would of shown more best friend stuff with Dandelion, and we get to see or ask how Priscilla is doing. Maybe the expansion packs coming out will have more interaction with him?

For book readers, it's fun to realize Priscilla is basically Little Eye.

Which makes it doubly funny given she's GERALT'S love interest.

Well during the game it is mentioned at one point that Priscilla is recovering.

Anyhow I think Dandelion has risked a lot already. Now he has to support Priscilla and invest time in his new business. So it's not surprising Geralt leaves him out of this quest that may lead to everyones death. Though it would not have made sense to take him on this journey it might have been nice to talk to him about it a bit more.

Well, it would have been ridiculous to have Dandelion at Kaer Morhen fighting but I could have easily seen them there helping in other ways. Dandelion could have been present in reassuring everyone with his ballads or just there for moral support or even manning traps. Also, I could easily have seen Priscilla present and getting treated by Yennefer or Triss.

Hell, maybe unlike Dandelion, she DOESN'T suck and knows how to use a bow or crossbow or something.

Either way, Dandelion really should have been there to talk to Geralt about all the crap he's going through or to provide comic relief. The fact is that his stories are almost entirely divorced from the main one.

I'm also kind of annoyed that we didn't get to see the Heist with him and Ciri because that seems like it would have LUDICROUSLY fun to play with as Ciri.

Well, it would have been ridiculous to have Dandelion at Kaer Morhen fighting but I could have easily seen them there helping in other ways. Dandelion could have been present in reassuring everyone with his ballads or just there for moral support or even manning traps. Also, I could easily have seen Priscilla present and getting treated by Yennefer or Triss.

Hell, maybe unlike Dandelion, she DOESN'T suck and knows how to use a bow or crossbow or something.

Either way, Dandelion really should have been there to talk to Geralt about all the crap he's going through or to provide comic relief. The fact is that his stories are almost entirely divorced from the main one.

I'm also kind of annoyed that we didn't get to see the Heist with him and Ciri because that seems like it would have LUDICROUSLY fun to play with as Ciri.

At the very least i would have liked to have seen him in Skellige second time round. I think shoving Dandelion conclusion into one variant of the epilogue just seems bizarre when it should have been shown in game. As you say Dandelion should have been there to talk to Geralt. Zoltan and Priscilla too.

Priscilla is an interesting case as she's basically just Dandelion's substitute to talk to while he's imprisoned.

However, despite that, I think she's just as fun to have around.

I wonder if he and she will work out.

Eh...probably not.

:D

Priscilla is an interesting case as she's basically just Dandelion's substitute to talk to while he's imprisoned.

However, despite that, I think she's just as fun to have around.

I wonder if he and she will work out.

Eh...probably not.

:D

Probably not but in the empress ending certainly implies he's trying.

Top Bottom