The early release and the things that coming after.

+
The early release and the things that coming after.

Stop. Before any moderator lock that thread away they should read carefully what I wrote. Its not a begging thread again. I want to discuss the things that coming after this release.

I mean to be honest you can say, that from the view of CDPR the release is a little disaster. I mean the leak protection works on the pc perfect no one can play it but in regard a lot of people got angry about CDPR and called them liars etc. I bet it wasn't an easy decision to make but it was necessary. Then a week before release the street date were broken. And now we have wto divided groups. The one who bought a retail version for consoles and can play now and the other ones who can not play. And what happen? Yeah they blaming CDPR again even CDPR has no fault in here. All the community caring now seems to" How to play the game now".

But no one cares about what that release will tell CDPR or other companies. My fear is now that big Publisher will force DRM on consoles too because they see what happend with witcher 3. I mean a lot of companies spend a lot of money to advertise the game. Maybe some local stores has set up a midnight shopping at the release day. An all that money is now gone. Great isn't it. You can really call it a disaster when a game got released one week prior to release.

I mean we have drm on PC but do you really want that on a console?

My guess is not but you giving the publishers a good reason for it. I really hope I am painting it too black but we never know. What do other people think about it.

Stop. Before any moderator lock that thread away they should read carefully what I wrote. Its not a begging thread again. I want to discuss the things that coming after this release.

Hovering.. hovering... OK, that wasn't what you were saying :)

Actually, my concerns would be fairly similar.

Sken

Forum veteran
The only real solution I believe, without penalizing customers with DRM nonsense is to make the launch date on a Thursday.

Stock is shipped from the distribution centres on the Monday, with a fixed delivery date to the retailer. i.e. deliver on Wednesday.

I used to be a buyer in the film industry, and most AAA releases had fixed delivery dates to prevent this sort of thing.

Well i see what you're saying. I doubt that this will be a reason to implement DRM everywhere because of a broken street date. Street dates have been broken before many times.

As for an earlier release, i think CDPR is doing the right thing, they should stick to their release plan and not release earlier cause of certain irregularities. When i say this i feel a pain in my heart cause i would love to play right now :)

Yeah but I fell like it taking over at the moment. I mean not long ago someone uploaded a full walkthrough for "The Order" prior to release. And dont forget RS who where furious about early leaked material for GTA V on PS3/XBox 360.

I'm pretty sure that no company would be happy about a situation like this. It's really messing up stuff i suppose.

Is there nothing CDPR can do about these vendors breaking the release date? I don't recall this happening with a major release before. As for PC, I don't blame them trying to curb the initial rush of piracy.

I would love to know if the stores that sold early simply won't get games the next time. I think that is a good idea. These things HAVE to have consequences.

Is there nothing CDPR can do about these vendors breaking the release date? I don't recall this happening with a major release before. As for PC, I don't blame them trying to curb the initial rush of piracy.

They can try to sue the vendors but what about that tiny local store? Hard to get him. Im sure there will be anti leak stuff for all plattforms next time by CDPR.

Consumers are consumers. If there is an early leak of legal copies then a release date will be viewed as a collective punishment.

I'm really surprised how many stores worldwide broke the street date. A lot of my friends playing already on PS4 and One as well... and here i am, biggest Witcher-fan of them all, waiting for my PC-preload to unlock and hiding from possible spoilers.

All i can read is this stupid graphics discussion, because i don't want to read about the gameplay or the story.

But the wait is almost over... Maybe my patience will be rewarded in my next life. :huh:

It makes no sense anymore to go against the ones to break the street date...now it is everywhere and even the big players sell it.
I was in a local mall yesterday and saw it at Gamestop (formerly known as EBGames in Germany) and Saturn (big german electronic&entertainment seller). And not only the PS4 version. They had the PC version as well (didn't look out for X1).
So yes...the only possibility is to set a fixed delivery date to the vendors...at least in the countries with a good logistic infrastrucure this is not a big problem.
They really have to think about that for future releases.

I think on other threads it has been mentioned that CD project are likely boundaries by contracts regarding the release date, and by moving the official release forward so close they likely open themselves up to liquidated damages from retailers who didn't have their stock and would suffer a loss of sales to other retailers / online stores.

Two weeks from now, pretty much nobody will give a flip about the "early release". The release from the view of CDPR won't be a "little disaster" but rather a "fantastic success". It'll all be about sale figures and review scores. First are often driven by the second and the review scores have been superb.

Two weeks from now, pretty much nobody will give a flip about the "early release". The release from the view of CDPR won't be a "little disaster" but rather a "fantastic success". It'll all be about sale figures and review scores. First are often driven by the second and the review scores have been superb.

Exactly this.
In the scheme of things, the proportion of street broken games are minuscule and at the moment simply serve as something for those waiting to point at.
I struggle to see how a few street breaks would change the position on DRM. That remains a live issue as there are plenty of people stealing games to make constructive mechanisms that encourage players not to do that, worth pursuing. Funny how the term 'piracy' is used to romanticise theft.

I think this release went badly, yes, but I wouldn't consider it a disaster. CDPR had nothing to do about it. What they could do in the future, is plan 2 release dates: one, if everything goes according to plan, and the 2nd, incase some vendors start giving away the game before the actual release date, and just execute number 2, say the game will release earlier than expected. Happy and surprised PC gamers, no messy release, everyone profits. And ofcourse, admit that it was an earlier release date planned incase such a thing happened.

The problem is, this trick can work only once :p

Because there is no piracy on consoles at all right? CDPR didn't lock the physical versions for consoles (but magically locked PC physical ones) which I find unfair because I pre-ordered last year and must wait for the day 1 patch while some totally random dude who never heard about the game can walk into a store and buy it for consoles and play instantly.......... Way to betray the platform that made you.

This will not be popular with you guys, but after this situation, I really think DRM should be included in all copies:
1. To protect release date
2. To fight with pirates
3. To have some sort of equality! - why the hell PC games are punished with DRM, but not consoles? ( I'm not against consoles in general - I would like it to work other way around also..)

I played many games with intrusive DRM solutions, and didn;t have many problems. Here we have game without DRM (riiiight PC? ;) ) yet there are still problems... So what's the difference really...

This will not be popular with you guys, but after this situation, I really think DRM should be included in all copies:
1. To protect release date
2. To fight with pirates
3. To have some sort of equality! - why the hell PC games are punished with DRM, but not consoles? ( I'm not against consoles in general - I would like it to work other way around also..)

I played many games with intrusive DRM solutions, and didn;t have many problems. Here we have game without DRM (riiiight PC? ;) ) yet there are still problems... So what's the difference really...

afaik, nearly all pc games with DRM can be pirated, so DRM doesn't help that much. Hence I see no problem in removing it once and for all, and additionally it is much more pleasant without four different types of clients for each DRM solution.
On the other hand I agree with some protection for the release date. Again, I don't think normal DRM will change much there, but restraining important game files does. AND I don't see any reason why this can't be applied to consoles, too.

Top Bottom