The General Videogame Thread

+
Well because it's not a port for one, you port from one architecture to another but this is all x86_64 in the first place and has been in dev since 2012 according to on-disk logs.

I'm currently playing GTA V and I haven't found anything wrong with the port so far except for the occasional frame drop to 29 FPS which I quickly solved by lowering a couple of my graphics settings. I also haven't had any problems with DRM either. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I've heard the game atm has a memory leak that can fill your RAM if you play for several hours straight. So if things get choppy, check your RAM usage.

I wonder how GTAV's and TW3's weather systems compare.
They're probably different in the gameplay sense I would guess, maybe rain makes different monsters come out, others go back. Speculation of course but they're not all that much comparable it offers a big countryside but the 'city' is the primary hub.

And how JC3 will with GTAV. JC's format seems to potentially offer more than GTA's.
Very different games. GTA has always(well starting with 3D universe) had a narrative layer and focus on characters, it's considerably grounded in reality, focuses on crime. Just Cause 1 had some of that but starting with 2 it's really juts a huge sandbox and the entire focus is to blow stuff up, do crazy things, mostly just blow stuff up. About the only 'narrative' JC has had is that you're a CIA('the agency') agent and you're essentially a terrorist trying to topple goverments/dictators in favour of USA.

I've heard the game atm has a memory leak that can fill your RAM if you play for several hours straight. So if things get choppy, check your RAM usage.
Yeah.

As always, I'll recommend keeping an eye on PCGW for potential fixes, list of issues:
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_V

Never thought of GTA is a good looking game, but it sure is nice.

They really turned things around with GTAV. The PC version, at least on my end having had no issues, is pretty damn good. KB/M controls aren't all that hot, but that's to be expected from a extremely console orientated title like GTA. At least with the introduction of FPS mode the Gunplay feels great with KB/M.
Considering it's a cross-gen title, they've done a fucking marvellous effort and it looks gorgeous. Like, it runs a million times better than any recent Ubisoft title and probably the easiest comparison it has, Watch Dogs, it just blows it out of the fucking water. Although I really wish there was a Chromatic Aberration toggle, really gets on my nerves sometimes.

Here's some snaps, nothing amazing in terms of composition and whatnot. Eventually once I've finished just having general fun, then I'll worry about going back to some perfect screenshot spots I'll have found, with the right TOD/Weather and take some real nice ones.
1 2 3 4 5 6 (I've got everything at Max except AA, btw)

Personally I've just come off an ~8 hour session and absolutely no problems. Always going to be hard with PC's as there's all sorts of different setups, and then Windows/Driver related issues enter the picture... I've definitely heard people having it, so it'd suck to be on the receiving end, but I don't think it's an issue that everyone is having.

Last edited:
So I noticed that GTAV was 22% off @ GMG VIP and I had a small amount of store credit there so,

Couldn't resist. :p

Last edited:
I have no idea what you're on about Costin, I have no such problems whatsoever except for frame drops. Hopefully AMD will get off their collective asses and get their new GTA V drivers out of Beta.

Also apparently the horrid driving is only a problem with m&kb. Controllers work just fine and since I have an xbone controller I'll be using that.

Tbh, I'd be using it anyway even without the issues.

GTA IV bikes and Just Cause 2 were the only places where driving with a keyboard and mouse was just impossible(and controller people had no issues), I doubt it's that bad in V. Guess I'll find out when I play it.

Anyone know if you can switch between m&kb and controller on the fly? Would be nice to use controller for driving and m&kb for shooting.

---------- Post merged on 17-04-2015 at 02:00 AM ----------

Well, GTA5 has been running fine for me thus far. No issues during installation, no stutter and driving is just fine with the controller. Running all "standard settings" maxed out with Nvidia PCSS shadows with only MSAA & Reflection MSAA turned down to x2. Enabled high detail streaming while flying and increased distance & shadow scaling from the advanced settings. Haven't dropped below 60 fps. Have to leave for work in a moment so I'll be doing more intensive "testing" in the weekend.

Top Bottom