The (Open) Game World Discussion!

+
Anyone ever play the Xbox game Crackdown? Future / CP-ish setting, running off of the "GTA" game model. There was LOTS of verticallity in the game, with large, looming buildings that, oftentimes, gangs would be shooting at you from. Since I don't own an Xbox m'self, I never got a chance to clock much time on the game, so I don't know how interactive the buildings were, outside of being sets / maps that your firefights took place in / on / around.

I did! Crackdown was great fun. Cyberpunk-ish, excpet no punk part and you were eventually so grossly overpowered that it lost all connection to the Street, but it was good times bouncing around shooting and throwind.

Yngh

Forum veteran
I don't expect a TES-sized game, but I want much bigger hubs than in DHR. It's a delicate balance between size and detail. As long as the city feels big and densly populated and there is much stuff to do, I won't complain.

I find most open world rpgs to feel tiny. I'm sorry but while playing skyrim I didn't find my self feeling as if I was in a country sized land. A small county sure. The thing to remember is that most of these games have worlds that are small. So by focussing on a single city they can nail the scale finally.

Yes, start at this point and work your way up in size. Much rather have 50 square blocks with immense detail than 100 with filler/repetition.

I want to repeat a point I think is important...I think it would be a great idea to have a game that doesn't hold your hand in regards to the map and missions. If an NPC has a mission for me somewhere in Dark City, at least have an option to turn off map mission markers, and give alternate methods to find your way....could be as simple as a mission summary in a tablet device/HUD that tells you the area to go and what to look for. Obviously in the future you could use GPS tech to find something like a street...which is why I say make you find something within a street area that could either be found with a map marker or with written instructions. That way it's not too difficult to navigate to an area but requires a little more exploration/challenge if you want that.

If implemented right, you won't have a minimap with mission markers at all, unless you buy the right optical implants, brainware or visors. You can of course always by a paper map, (brainware is cheaper than paper though) and write your markers on it. Same, you should not have any visible health or stress bar unless you got a bio-monitor implant....no targeting cross with target ID markers unless you got smart gun implants or wear smart gun visor...and so on....

Night City University was originally called Richard Night University, built in 1994 - the same year Night City was founded, by the founder Richard Alix Night.

Thus the city is called Night City.

Just a small tidbit of information for those interested.

Thanks for the tidbit. It is the fluff that makes a world alive....fluff even gives reason and meaning to those wastelands and places of emptiness....and if you know the fluff to a wasteland, you can go and find things that were there before it was a waste.

My personal opinion on this is that explorability is important. If you can spend the same 60 hours exploring the buildings, subways, rooftops and sewers of a single half-mile commercial block as you would spend on discovering all the hidden stashes and ruins and nomad camps in the nuclear desert, then the block is good enough...for starters...until I NEED more to explore. Let them have every single apartment and flat explorable, every building, every cinema and bar and brothel or strip bar, every fire-escape, every rooftop, every manhole and sewer line, every subway track and station of at least one complete city district...and adding as DLC more and more districts to it until the entire city is there...including the slums and barrens and shanties at the edge of town....and then add as DLC the outer wastes and Palace and stuff....and add a lot of fluff, history, street lore, local myths, rumours, tidbits, easter eggs and secrets to be discovered.

As to wide empty deserts being meaningless, that is nonsense. They are not empty, they are filled with desolation. That is their purpose and meaning, to show how desolate and kaput the world, to show a contrast to the over-populated city, to make us wonder why people squeeze themselves into disease and insanity breeding cities of a 50 people per square-yard when there is so much space to spread out into. It is to show you the world as it is in all it's ugly glory.

From a roleplaying standpoint I want there to be a vast desert wasteland outside Night City, because I want to illegally cross the borders from the free state of Allied Southern California/Mojave Desert and stuff.

I would buy a legit fake I.D. (Passport) and driver's license just to get into Night City. From the looks of it though we were raised on the streets of Night City.

The Night City map from the sourcebook looks incredible. I wish they would build a city like this IRL. :(

the size isnt important, the degree of details is important. It need to have many details and an good atmosphere!
and
The Night City map from the sourcebook looks incredible. I wish they would build a city like this IRL. :(

When i heard they were making this the first thing I thought is I hope they don't mess it up! The next thing I thought was the only way not to is to make every square foot of the game accessible and interactive as well as random encounters and NPC actually function with decent AI and like someone earlier said if you follow them their actually going somewhere and doing something they don't just disappear as they turn the corner and stuff. If they can populate the world with only 'lifelike' AI on their own little complete day cycles for players to mess with and make everywhere and everything interactive I wouldn't mind if it was the size of a city block. The immersion would be worth the sacrifice of size. But this being done and the whole city for the taking now that would be beyond epic and something truly monumental to experience. Good Luck! :cool:

The layout of the map in the game should be in the lines of this:

View attachment 557

People wonder how CDPR can pull that off.

Attachments

• Adrift_-_01.jpg
    Adrift_-_01.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 51
I agree with the idea that the players should be able to access more than just a handful of blocks in the City. However, how big is too big? Furthermore how do you keep the players in bounds. Unless they just wall off Night City I really can't think of a good way to keep the players in bounds so to speak. Hi-Way and Raffin Shiv attacks until the player dies and gets the idea is one way. Barricades both natural (ocean and mountains) and man made might be another. Heck you could wake up when you start the game with a cortical bomb that will go off if you stray too far.

Whatever route they go there is a lot of story right outside of Night City. There's a Military base, Beavervilles, gated communities of doom, Nomad camps, ghost towns and a whole lot of desert to explore. Regardless it comes down to feasibility. Until CDPR says otherwise I'm going to dream of running roughshod over the whole huge area.

Yngh

Forum veteran
It's possible that some selected areas outside the city will be accessible and you will be able to fast travel to the location. Of course, it's just speculation on my part, but that's one possibility if the devs want to take the player outside the city without having to create vast explorable areas there.

However, how big is too big?
Now that's a really interesting question. IMO it depends on available resources. I think that at first there will be many inaccessible buildings in the city, but more content will be added via expansions and/or DLCs. I wouldn't be surprised if new districts gradually became accessible, too... and of course, if the devs release good modding tools, we will get a sh*tload of mods :).

My opinion on this has never changed... I want a great big world to explore... san andreas style... I want a huge city that takes up most of the map, some water, and some desert.

I don't care about exploring every building, that shit is just as unrealistic as not having any explorable buildings.

I want to be able to tear down the streets in my Mitsubishi Kaneda, I want to be ablt to make a balls out getaway from Corporate Plaza to the safety of the combat zone.

I want to be able to go down dark alleys and find drug dealers, or back alley cyber clinics, I want to be able to to the mall and visit the high end cyberboutique...

Having a tiny environment where every building is explorable is the same thing as being a hamster locked in a cage only with those little hamster tunnels...

If I have to be confined, Don't lock me up in a hamster cage, lock me up in an animal sanctuary....

The layout of the map in the game should be in the lines of this:

View attachment 290

People wonder how CDPR can pull that off.
Holy moly that looks way too huge for what I imagine they can pull off :S Starting to think maybe it would be better to have zones and just use public transportation to travel between them :p
Also I think developers stated already that it will be mainly Night City with some visits to other areas. Don't ask me what article gave me this impression :)

I'm willing - happy - to sacrfice explore and replay for this level of immersion and detail. As long as I don't have to sacrifice too much. GTA San Andreas too big - DEHR waaaay too small.

How can you even lump these two together. DXHR was not meant to be open world, it was hub based. Like VTMB.

How can you even lump these two together. DXHR was not meant to be open world, it was hub based. Like VTMB.

well, its easy...

1. Deus Ex: HR advertised itself as being open world, even on the game case. It's one of the reasons I was so excited, and so very utterly disappointing with the game after playing it.

2. Deus Ex is the direction many of the people posting in this thread want the game to go... no vehicles, tiny little bullshit blocks, gilded cage bullshit.

Never having played DX:HR, is it kind of like Borderlands, with a bunch of smaller maps, interconnected by a travel system?

If so, no thanks. I'd rather have a large, explorable map (Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Saints Row 2.)

My opinion on this has never changed... I want a great big world to explore... san andreas style... I want a huge city that takes up most of the map, some water, and some desert.

I don't care about exploring every building, that shit is just as unrealistic as not having any explorable buildings.

I want to be able to tear down the streets in my Mitsubishi Kaneda, I want to be ablt to make a balls out getaway from Corporate Plaza to the safety of the combat zone.

I want to be able to go down dark alleys and find drug dealers, or back alley cyber clinics, I want to be able to to the mall and visit the high end cyberboutique...

Having a tiny environment where every building is explorable is the same thing as being a hamster locked in a cage only with those little hamster tunnels...

If I have to be confined, Don't lock me up in a hamster cage, lock me up in an animal sanctuary....

I totally agree. I don't get people who say: ''A small and very detailed city where you can enter any building.'' It doesn't have to be small and not every building has to be enter-able, give us a big city with rooftops, interior scenery and dark ally's, create interior scenery for places where it would make sense, like you said Deric, a mall, shops etc.

I don't get people who say: ''A small and very detailed city where you can enter any building.''

What's not to get? I'm not of the party who thinks every building should be enterable (and personally, I've seen very few of that kind of suggestions), but I would definitely trade huge tracts of pure scenery that exists only to be seen and walked on for smaller (within reason - not tiny), more detailed hubs that carry an internal point and theme.

Never having played DX:HR, is it kind of like Borderlands, with a bunch of smaller maps, interconnected by a travel system?

If so, no thanks. I'd rather have a large, explorable map (Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Saints Row 2.)

No.... I wish...

DX:HR was more like every level based shooter you have ever played, with an occasional facsimile of open world environments each roughly 2 or 3 square blocks in size. Sure you could enter some of the buildings, but outside of their story based objective, there was little there. Yet people hail it as the second coming of gaming nirvana...

Fuck that.

I totally agree. I don't get people who say: ''A small and very detailed city where you can enter any building.'' It doesn't have to be small and not every building has to be enter-able, give us a big city with rooftops, interior scenery and dark ally's, create interior scenery for places where it would make sense, like you said Deric, a mall, shops etc.

Amen Catelyn, Amen....

What's not to get? I'm not of the party who thinks every building should be enterable (and personally, I've seen very few of that kind of suggestions), but I would definitely trade huge tracts of pure scenery that exists only to be seen and walked on for smaller (within reason - not tiny), more detailed hubs that carry an internal point and theme.

Sometimes the scenery is the point... and I don't want to be limited to walking. It's Cyberpunk, I want to drive my smartlinked cyberbike down the alleys and streets trying to evade gangs and cops. I want to drive my scrap built muscle care across the wasteland in an epic car chase with Raffen Shiv....

These things are as important to the game as drugs, guns and netrunning.

Top Bottom