Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are intent on derailing this thread because of what's in the books, let me point out this. CDPR took the decision to wipe Geralt's memory in the first game to allow them a somewhat blank slate to work with. As part of that decision, they allowed the player to romance other characters - Shani and Triss. Having taken that decision there was an immediate divergence from the books so there's no point in moaning about it now, the decision was taken years ago. The Witcher games are 'based on' not adaptations of those books.

Last edited:
Nothing differ if You choose Triss as LI for Geralt or Yen, it's so disappointing.

I think the problem not so much lies in absence of consequences and both paths leading to the same exact outcome (which is indeed a issue) but that her having to flee to Kovir, just to poof magically at KM negates any feel or urgency or meaning for the dock choice.

The dock choice makes no sense from this POV. Why even there and then? COuld very well be substituted with a neutral: "see you at Kaer Morhen bye Triss!" and nothing would be different from a narrative or logical pov.

It would have made great sense in the following 2 situations:

1) the alleged original draft: Triss leaves for Kovir for good, regardless of romance (waits for the big G there)
2) an hypothetical expanded Triss role, at the very least making her appear at KM from the get go (not necessarily taking on Yen's role! Cause it makes sense for her to be there and do her things. Just Triss there for support or somesuch).
3) An unrealistic and impossible (at this point, but conceptually valid in hindsight) switcharoo with a completely different path, and Triss being the companion for the search for Ciri if the player so chooseth. This does not mean her making the exact same choices and using the same exact methods as Yen. More like a Witcher 2 Iorveth vs Roche thing.

Oh u remind me about something. Why does Yennefer performs trial of grasses? It doesn't make any sense because Triss was closer to witchers than her and she should know more about things like that...

Yea, I feel like this is something that annoys me as well. Yes Yen is supposed to be more powerful, yada yada yada. But, in the end I would rather have Triss do most of the things Yen does in the game. I feel like while choosing Triss doesn't mean you completely throw Yen out of the window, it does mean that you spend at least a marginal amount of less time with her. Maybe there could be something in the game where if you pick Triss to do the ritual that things don't go as smoothly as they would with Yen, etc. I would be happy to have something like that, a type of risk/reward scenario because I would still choose Triss just because I enjoy her far more.

So neither Yenn. It doesn't change that Triss was closer to the witchers. I would believe that Vesemir shared his knowledge with Triss than Yennefer.

It's a risky task.And since Yen is more powerful,than Triss,she has a bigger chance of success.

Don't get me wrong but it feels like trading 1 Yenn's bang scene for 1 Triss bang scene. That's horrible.

Saddly you're not far from the true and it's hard to understand as CDPR go next gen on all aspects of the game: fights, mounts, pigs, trolls, trees, weather, graphics, quests and side quests etc everything feel next gen and is perfectly done in TW3. But the romances choices and the impact and consequences it should have not that much.....

I only recently made an account on this website for the sole purpose to vote for more Triss content, seriously the few romance scenes with her are perfect and the lack of content with her later on in the game seriously disjointed me from the story. This scene is literally one of my highlights from the game and it is so small in comparison to the game at large. Also sorry for how bright it is.

Attachments

• 20150628162418.jpg
    20150628162418.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 59
Saddly you're not far from the true and it's hard to understand as CDPR go next gen on all aspects of the game: fights, mounts, pigs, trolls, trees, weather, graphics, quests and side quests etc everything feel next gen and is perfectly done in TW3. But the romances choices and the impact and consequences it should have not that much.....

I disagree, it's trading 1 Triss b*** scene versus having a wonderfully delightful and highly more detailed, nuanced and mature relationship with Yen.
And that's the problem and reason why Triss' treatment is the problematic one, not Yen's (whos, with minor issue, is OK as is).

The dock choice makes no sense from this POV. Why even there and then? COuld very well be substituted with a neutral: "see you at Kaer Morhen bye Triss!" and nothing would be different from a narrative or logical pov.

The dock choice makes perfect sense. She's about to sail out of your life forever, it's now or never to confess your love. It's what happens after this point that's the problem. If she turns up at Kaer Morhen at the start of Act 2 and there's dialogue pertaining to your relationship then everything makes sense. It's the fact that she doesn't show up until the end of Act 2 and then the only further reference to your relationship is at the beginning of Act 3 that causes the problems.

Whilst this is a Triss thread, it is worth mentioning that Act 2 is a mess. The writing is full of inconsistencies such as other characters not showing up if you choose to help them, and by and large it's where the problem with the entire romance lies. If your romance of choice is Yen and you allow Triss to sail to Kovir that should be the end of her part in your story. She's gone, forever. No showing up for the Battle of Kaer Morhen. Fix Act 2 and you fix the romance story arc.

Last edited:
The dock choice makes perfect sense. She's about to sail out of your life forever, it's now or never to confess your love. It's what happens after this point that's the problem. CUT.

Uh, did you read the rest of my post? It may have made sense for the character right there and then. But the rest of the story AS IT IS NOW, completely undermines it.

It's pretty obvious they rushed things, the project was too big and they had to cut many things in order to release it on time , that's my guess . I saw this thread some time ago but did not bothered to read it because i like Yen very much and i was quite ok with the way game develops if you romance her , however i just did another play-through and decided to check Triss romance . Yes , i understand your complains, it was like nothing changed , just a couple extra lines and the scene from the fountain outside Passiflora , otherwise the game felt the same . I don't understand why she is not at KM during the Uma episode , they could at least add an extra line when she leaves the lighthouse, explaining that she needs to stay longer in Kovir , or something similar .

So neither Yenn. It doesn't change that Triss was closer to the witchers. I would believe that Vesemir shared his knowledge with Triss than Yennefer.

Yeah. It made more sense for her to be in KM than Yen. Not that I mind her presence, it's just, where is the players agency in all of this? We're not talking about a different world altogether, just you know, options! If you want Yen to help, then have her help, if you want Triss, then have her do it.

Unless of course, the devs imply that on top of this being Ciri's story towards the end (very well documented in other threads), it is also YEN's quest to find Ciri in the first half of the game, and Geralt (we, the players) is just along for the ride.

It's pretty obvious they rushed things, the project was too big and they had to cut many things in order to release it on time , that's my guess . I saw this thread some time ago but did not bothered to read it because i like Yen very much and i was quite ok with the way game develops if you romance her , however i just did another play-through and decided to check Triss romance .

Thanks, but it's not a Triss specific problem first and foremost. It's essentially a consistency one, even from Yen's pov.
It may have been better to cut Triss romance in toto, or neutralise her regardless of Romance (choosing her and getting the scenes lead to the same path of an impossible love and therefore choice between lonelyness and Yen only) from a consistency pov.

It's not about preferences but game quality as a whole. As it is now, some aspects of the game make no sense if you happen to choose a path over the other, simple as that.

the devs imply that on top of this being Ciri's story towards the end (very well documented in other threads), it is also YEN's quest to find Ciri in the first half of the game, and Geralt (we, the players) is just along for the ride.

For me personally there is nothing wrong with Yenn and Uma spell. It fits mostly well in the story. At that time everybody at KM thought that Uma may be Ciri herself. It would be weird if Yenn lets Triss hold the spell. The major problems starts after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom