The ''Waifuification'' of the Witcher 3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ''Waifuification'' of the Witcher 3

As a result of massive amounts of money spent on marketing, the Witcher 3 attracted the mainstream ''gamer'' crowd to the Witcher 3, these people
include those who like games such as Call of Duty, League of Legends, etc. .
But also other RPG games, such as Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Those two series specifically is well known to have focused alot on ''romance options'', which was rather unique as a point of focus for action-RPG games otherwise focusing on other things, such as telling a consistent and good story.

Having attracted this crowd, the Witcher 3 gained alot of new players who sought something akin to that in the Witcher 3, and what they found was just a choice between two characters, Triss Merigold and Yennefer of Vengerberg. Judging by the amount of pages in threads, it's obvious that the people who used to obsess over characters such as Tali from Mass Effect or Leliana & Morrigan from Dragon Age, have now come over to the Witcher 3 and started to obsess over Triss Merigold, demanding everything from more cutscenes and dialogue, to replacing Yennefer throughout most of the game with Triss.

Anyone familiar with the Witcher universe understands the reason why Yennefer has such a big role in the game, first of all because she's a main character (as opposed to Triss who has until the creation of the games been at most a secondary character), but also because she was absent from the first two games, so we can guess CDR wanted to aim the spotlight at her a bit.

But does that earn CDR any more money? No it doesn't. A majority of the Witcher 3's players are people who probably don't even know the games are sequels to a series of books, and who probably haven't played the first two games, and obsessing over the character Triss, CDR figures catering to their demands is what will earn them the most money, hence why they have now announced that they will be looking into removing and adding content to make Triss more prominent in the Witcher 3 than the main character Yennefer.
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/329274/Witcher+3+expansions+"almost+size+of+Witcher+2"/

Instead of addressing the most glaring issues of the game, such as the almost complete lack of dialogue between Yennefer and Ciri, polish -> english translation errors in the dialogue, overall underwhelming character interaction throughout the entirety of ''act 3'', they're instead going to look into removing and adding content from the game to make Triss more prominent than Yennefer.

This is the Waifuification of the Witcher 3. Congratulations, this is what inevitably happens when a company has tasted enough money and decides to sink its game to squeeze a bit more money out of it.

Edit:
To save everybody some time, I'd like to suggest that unless you've read the books and played all three games, then don't bother replying, as you will not be aware of extremely important stuff in order to fully understand the issue at hand.

Last edited:
@GingerEffect already answer to most of your thread:
"To the people who are somehow annoyed that we will correct the inconsistent consequences that are currently present in the Triss romance I say this: Please understand that this is not a case of us changing something simply because fans want it. This is because fans alerted us to something which we, internally, discussed (hence the long silence in between replies) and eventually agreed that it did not fit our core philosophy of including consequences to the choices the player can make. "

Agreed, I hope this thread doesn't get locked, I think this is an important discussion. There are so many OTHER problems with the games, but the only one that seems to be getting attention is the Triss problem.

It's 1 among many problems however, GingerEffect confirmed this, but it's disappointing that there is no acknowledgement to the other problems in the writing, such as those that have been pointed out in the OP.

I hope that there is an EE that will address these issues, with the Triss tweaks included in it. It is completely unfair to recognize the Triss problems but not any other main story/character problems and shortcomings.

"To the people who are somehow annoyed that we will correct the inconsistent consequences that are currently present in the Triss romance I say this: Please understand that this is not a case of us changing something simply because fans want it. This is because fans alerted us to something which we, internally, discussed (hence the long silence in between replies) and eventually agreed that it did not fit our core philosophy of including consequences to the choices the player can make. "

Click the link provided in the OP. That quote by GingerEffect is outdated. CDR has now decided to not only add additional content, but also remove content already present in the game, in order to meet the demands put forward in other threads on this forum.

I didn't know what "waifu" is, until somebody mentioned it in one of the "romance" topics...

Live and learn, I guess :D

Click the link provided in the OP. That quote by GingerEffect is outdated. CDR has now decided to not only add additional content, but also remove content already present in the game, in order to meet the demands put forward in other threads on this forum.

Will CDPR really dare to do THAT?

I didn't know what "waifu" is, until somebody mentioned it in one of the "romance" topics...

Live and learn, I guess :D

Yep, it's absolutely pathethic. The inclusion of ''choosing'' who to romance is in my opinion what fosters this unhealthy obsession amongst gamers.

---------- Updated at 08:41 PM ----------

Will CDPR really dare to do THAT?

There are many issues in the game, some, from an objective standpoint, more serious than the ''Triss problem'' (which is not even really a problem, she is in the large picture, not a main character).
The fact that CDR then does not even acknowledge the existence of these glaring issues with the game, but instead decides to not only acknowledge the existence of a non-issue just because enough people whine about it, but also pledge to ''do something about it'', should speak for itself.

They're ready to go to any lengths to squeeze as much money out of Witcher 3 as possible, as evidenced by what they as a company decide to focus on post-release.

Troll harder mate. No one on the Triss thread is calling for Yennefer to be "replaced" by Triss throughout the game. If you read the OP in the previous thread (which was supported by the CDPR devs), you would have seen that we only want the relationship between Geralt and Triss to be equally reactive and consistent, i.e. if you made the decision to romance Triss throughout the game, then that should be acknowledged by the other npcs and reflected in the main narrative. The CDPR team already met and discussed the issues which were raised on the forums, and they agreed that such plotholes and not consistent with their design philosophy.

As for the "waifuification" of the Witcher games, you have been able to romance characters since the first installment back in 2007. Nothing new here.

The OP in this thread needs to get his facts straight. The devs never said that they would be removing content or altering Yennefer's role in the game whatsoever. In fact, it is possible that the changes implemented might improve the experience for Yennefer fans as well. As it stands, she has almost no interaction with Triss, which is bizarre and detracts from both characters.

Also, @GingerEffect and the other CDPR devs have already addressed the lack of dialogue between Yennefer and Ciri. Read his post in the Yennefer thread. Long story short, the devs wanted to stress the relationship between Geralt and Ciri, and give the player sufficient opportunities to become familiar with her character. You may have noticed that Triss has zero interaction with her as well ... basically all she says to Ciri is "It's good to see you sis."

Peace out.

Last edited:
Really,no. Those people likes to play the drama. Nobody never ever said that.
If you had bothered to click the link provided in the original post of this thread, you will see that the game director of the Witcher 3 has decided to meet the demands of people who wish to see ''More Triss than Yennefer'', not just ''More Triss'', but moreso than Yennefer, which has hours more content in the Witcher 3 than Triss. The only way to accomplish this while maximizing profit (which is clearly the intention of CDR by this point), is to remove content featuring Yennefer, while also adding Triss content.

I am a perfectionist. There is a way to keep both Triss and Yen fans happy.
And to fix most issues in the game. And keep book reads (we ARE the elite :p) happy.

One step at a time.

After fixing game breaking bugs of coarse.

So, if I have understood well, they won't make any change in anything unless they respond directly about a certain issue, is it that?

LOL,seriously op is delusional if he can somehow bizarrely claim some waifuisation and exclude Yen from that.
Seriously you've got me rolling on the floor in laughter.
I hope this a joke or a deliberate troll because if trying to be serious ........
It's also delusional to claim the changes promised will make Triss more prominent than Yen, it will simply allow the proper reflection of choice, which already exists in the Yen romance.

we only want the relationship between Geralt and Triss to be equally reactive and consistent, i.e. if you made the decision to romance Triss throughout the game, then that should be acknowledged by the other npcs and reflected in the main narrative.

And that precisely requires the removal and addition of content, while contradicting the in-game universe. One demand I've seen put forth is Cerys talking about Triss rather than Yennefer, had the Leliana fa.. I mean Triss fans read the Witcher books, they'd know that Geralt of Rivia and Yennefer of Vengerbergs relationship is equally famous as both of them as individuals. Dandelion is a famous poet who has been writing about them both and their relationship for over a decade. To even think for one second that characters who are not personal friends of either Geralt or Yennefer to somehow magically gain the knowledge that Geralt has suddenly abandoned Yennefer in favour of Triss Merigold is unheard of.

This is the main issue with the demands, they require the removal of content already in the game, while at the same time demanding changes that contradict the in-game universe.

You may have noticed that Triss has zero interaction with her as well ... basically all she says to Ciri is "It's good to see you see."

That lack of interaction bewteen Ciri and Triss is understandable, because they're just friends... and not very close. But Yennefer is her mother. So, not the same at all ;)

And yes, Triss may need some little changes, but other characters too and even more, like Eredin (2 lines in the game) or Yennefer with Ciri.

LOL,seriously op is delusional if he can somehow bizarrely claim some waifuisation and exclude Yen from that.
Seriously you've got me rolling on the floor in laughter.
I hope this a joke or a deliberate troll because if trying to be serious ........
It's also delusional to claim the changes promised will make Triss more prominent than Yen, it will simply allow the proper reflection of choice, which already exists in the Yen romance.
I didn't understand anything

If you had bothered to click the link provided in the original post of this thread, you will see that the game director of the Witcher 3 has decided to meet the demands of people who wish to see ''More Triss than Yennefer'', not just ''More Triss'', but moreso than Yennefer, which has hours more content in the Witcher 3 than Triss. The only way to accomplish this while maximizing profit (which is clearly the intention of CDR by this point), is to remove content featuring Yennefer, while also adding Triss content.

I don't know what the hell you are talking about. The article which you linked in the OP is to a GameReactor piece which discusses the upcoming expansions. They don't mention Triss even once. The Game Director just said that the new expansions will rival the second Witcher game in length. Some making crap up.

You may have noticed that Triss has zero interaction with her as well .
This is not an issue because it would be like having Lambert suddenly be considered Ciri's ''brother'', she doesn't have a deep connection with Ciri, and even betrayed her, wanting to turn her into a Koviri prince's cumbucket as part of the Lodge's plans, so no, that's not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom