The Witcher 1&2 Remakes?

+

The Witcher 1 & 2 Remakes?

• Yes I would love TW1&2 remastered Edition for PS4 and XboxOne

Votes: 213 47.2%
  • No I don't want this (please specify why)

Votes: 116 25.7%
  • A remake for all platforms.

Votes: 122 27.1%

• Total voters
Rise of the White Wolf gathering dust?

Question to the CD Project if you may.
I was looking at the old articles and videos about your ultimately cancelled console port of the first Witcher game and it seemed to me you were already pretty far in your impressive visual and gameplay improvements when you decided to quit. My question is what ultimately happened to all your work and ideas regarding the console port after that?

Is the half-finished Rise of the white wolf still in the hard drives of your computers? Could some of it be used to give the seven year old game big facelift in a patch or something if you so decided in the far away future?

Call this pointless curiosity from my part.

So I would very much like having TW1 and TW2 on consoles.

However, porting TW1 to RedKit3 and consoles would mean redoing the game all over again and this might cost too much to worth it.

Whatever you may have seen, the "Rise of the White Wolf" port of TW1 to console was a technical and financial Charlie Foxtrot. CDPR had to pull off a creative merger to remain solvent. There is nobody willing to risk his career by trying to resurrect its bits. In short, asking will only bring up old, bad memories.

Porting TW1, which is seven years old and sells for remainder prices, is unlikely to be a profitable venture. It might be within the reach of a team of expert and dedicated fans working with the RedKit. Otherwise, I don't think it will happen.

Last edited:
Perhaps if the modding community ever grows. we'll have a Witcher 1 modded into the new engine. Sort of like Skywind.

So yeah, I really hope the game will attract this talented individuals and we can all share in their mind blowing creativity because I am honestly looking forward to all the fun stuff people will create for the game.

Porting TW1, which is seven years old and sells for remainder prices, is unlikely to be a profitable venture. It might be within the reach of a team of expert and dedicated fans working with the RedKit. Otherwise, I don't think it will happen.

It can happen if they manage to open source the engine. Though that would involve Bioware / EA, and can be a blocker because of that (I doubt EA would even care about such idea).

Even if all the supporting components were zero cost, the effort to redevelop, prepare for market, advertise, and sell would be substantial and not reduced at all. You're talking about a big commitment of talent from a team that already has a looming deadline and another game to work on, for a game that can't be sold at full price.

Cost to market >> labor to develop >> cost of tools.

If the engine is opened, that could be done by others for different target platforms. Id software for example opened quite a number of their old engines. That allowed porting related games wherever, even into JavaScript to run in the browser: http://www.quakejs.com

Last edited:
Witcher 2 remake?

With a spate of games recently announcing reduxes or remakes, wouldn't it be awesome if CDPR announced a remake for the Witcher 2 with new content (such as the valley of the elves that was supposed to be in the original) using the Red Engine 3 with all the new enhancements?

I mean, you have the Last of Us, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, GTA V, Ryse Son of Rome (plus some others) all re-releasing for the current gen consoles and/or PC with several upgrades and enhancements, mostly visual. I remember asking CDPR on the forums a long time ago whether a remake for the original Witcher using the Red Engine 2 engine could be accomplished, and a rep stated that he thought the original game should remain a classic. After some thought, I agree with him.

But the Witcher 2 was the first game to be released on a console so it set a precedent. Now that the next gen (or current gen now) systems are here, it would be a good financial move by CDPR to re-release the Witcher 2 using updated technology for the Xbox One, PS4 and of course, the PC.

I would only advise this if the Witcher 3 sells very well on the consoles (we know it will sell well on PC which already has a strong fan base), and if it does, re-releasing the Witcher 2 for current gen systems would strengthen the IP, give CDPR greater recognition with console gamers and broaden the fan base even more resulting in a win win for devs and gamers..

They have all of the assets already, so they would only need to be remastered which would take time to do properly yes, but compared to making a game from scratch, it would be done much faster and with a lot less money.

if other developers can do it, why not CDPR?

I don`t doubt that it`s possible . But considering that a lot of the team has been working on the witcher series for the last 10 years or so i would hazard a guess that they are more than ready to move on to something else for a while .

Yes PLEASE! I do not need the entire game to be remade in another engine but it would be great to see the graphics updated and the game on consoles. Lets face it The Witcher 3 is one the most looked forward to, "next-gen" games so it will probably happen eventually. :D

I want them focus on Cyberpunk 2077 and new games , instead of doing remakes.Its not that big studio to divert resources.Its seen when we dont see any Cyberpunk info after Witcher 3 delay.

Does CDPR consider remaking the previous Witcher games using the new engine? (REDengine 3)

Witcher one is my favourite rpg but tbh I would rather get something new more than remake. I mean after all these years I still play it from time to time. I don´t need remake to play it again. :D

Who would remake TW2 ? It looks better than 80% of games out on max settings.

TW1 is a classic that cannot be remade imo.It is what is.

This is how I see it for myself I see TW1 as well as TW2 and even 3 is part of CDRed history from a small Unknown Dev team to what they are now
and to remake a game that loved by fan here will do it a bit of a injustice I can only speak for myself when I first played TW 1 I went Wow!!
and beside I would rather they spend the time in doing something new

The Witcher brought to consoles?

Sometimes I wonder If CD Projekt Red has thought about bringing The first Witcher game to console or even in a trilogy set cause I've never played the first Witcher but, started with the second and I really liked it but, I would like to play the first just to have them all down.

Top Bottom