Votes: 270 26.2%
  • I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
To clarify. Auto-refilling is still there as long as you have the base for each elixir, which is alcohol, it will refill when meditating. You will, however, require ingredients to craft an unknown potion or a better version of the one you already know. There will also be stronger elixirs based on mutagens which will be harder to craft and will require lots of ingredients (their effects will last longer though).

There is another theory by some people who observed some things from previous videos. They say it might be the case that it is something like this:

Every potion has 3 uses. If you only use 1 or 2 it will refill when meditating using less ingredients than you would normally need. If you use all 3 of them you have to make the potion anew with the same number of ingredients you had to use the first time. That would be... "acceptable" for me.

It'd be acceptable for me also tho I wouldn't mind full uses then refilling.

To clarify. Auto-refilling is still there as long as you have the base for each elixir, which is alcohol, it will refill when meditating. You will, however, require ingredients to craft an unknown potion or a better version of the one you already know. There will also be stronger elixirs based on mutagens which will be harder to craft and will require lots of ingredients (their effects will last longer though).
Marcin, you're hot
thanks

Alcohol as base? Fantastic, I liked that feature in W1...And we must collect ingredients after all, no auto-refill from nothing...Good news.
As long as there is some depth in alchemy system, I am happy

So we just need to pay attention to NOT have TOO MUCH ANY alcohol in the inventory, and the potions will actually NOT refill on their own(?).
A 'bit' inconvenient, but if that's what it takes...

Last edited:

Still not a fan quite frankly. Guess it's nice that using alcohol as potion bases is back, but it's still refilling your potions without you doing anything (Beyond ensuring you have the alcohol base) and I definitely still object to that.

Holding out for mods then, at least with Alcohol back in as an actual consumable it means modders will probably be able to overhaul W3's Alchemy in such a way to make it extremely similar to TW1's.

That's not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the answer.

I'm just.... I don't know. I think the idea is idiotic. Since when does the fact that you KNOW a potions ingredients enable you to just make the potion out of thin air?
I mean less ingredients? Sure.
Or being able to buy the ingredients? Why not.

But that way all you have to do is make the potion 1 time, then you can refill it infinitely until you upgrade it where you have to get the ingredients one time... and then refill it infinitely. And so on. After about 10 - 20 uses of the alchemy system you have a majority of the potions "unlocked" and do not need to collect herbs, or monster parts (monster loot) or anything whatsoever. You don't need your money/orens (unless you want a weapon or armor), monster hearts or claws or eyes are just sell-stuff to get you money after the first time you made that potion, you are still hoarding a lot of ingredients because you do not know which ingredients the "unknown" potions will need later (so you carry them around even longer) and once you "unlocked" all potions you will have them in your inventory forever and will be able to utilize them at any time, even during fights (I do not mind using potions during fights but if you can refill them with every meditation and can use every potion 3 times in a fight it becomes.... basically like a buff in an MMO, it'S something you can have all the time without any preparation whatsoever except meditating for 2 seconds.

............. i don't know what to say, points where brought up months ago and developers said they are "working on a solution". They said they recognized that not all people wanted it, they could have made it an option or think of something different.

I like the idea for example that you could use potions 3 times in a battle and if you have only used 2 of the 3 uses it would refill without needing ingredients or needing less ingredients, and that if you used all 3 uses you had to brew the potion again with ingredients.

I even liked the idea of the upgrade system where you could use the stronger version of a potion by taking an additional ingredient to it or using an alternate (more rare) ingredient. Is that still in? Will we at least have to collect ingredients EVERY TIME to make the more POWERFUL UPGRADED potions?
Because that would at least still be okay, being able to "auto-refill" the simple potions but having to collect ingredients every time we want the "upgraded" version of the potions..

EDIT: @ the alcohol thing: so basically you are using placebos, just drinking some alcohol to feel stronger lolz.
But in all seriousness, I like the return of alcohol bases, but still won't get why I can make a potion out of pure alcohol...
I already see myslef selling all the alcohol I have all the time and every time I want to make a potion running back to the town and buying alcohol. That is retarded (no offense). And if I only have 2 alcohol? Which potions does it make? Does it make like.... the first 2 in the alphabet? The potions I have chosen to be picked first (can I choose that)? Random?
I don't get it

EDIT2: The other question is: where ARE those ingredients then? Are there only a very small amount of ingredients in every area, are there ingredients that are only in a special area or only on one spot in the entire game, are there ingredients that are monster parts of monsters that you only meet once or twice in the entire game?
Because if that is the case it will be a chore to search for those and if it is NOT the case then all those ingredients being around everywhere will be completely unnecessary chunk that you can sell all the time once you have made your desired potion the first time.

Last edited:
I think before getting too disappointed it is a better idea to wait and see for yourselves how the potion making works in the Witcher 3.
Personally I liked the Witcher 2's potion making but I only ever used it very rarely, so it didn't feel like something I needed to do. However if making potions is quicker and also something that you need to do frequently, I don't think the Witcher 3's style will be a problem, and will hopefully be an improvement instead.

And what if I don't want refill them?

get rid of the alcohol.
I know, it's... I still don't get it

XD

The autorefill consumes ingredients. Ok. But...I could want to preserve all those ingredients to create other potions instead to refill those I have already. This mechanics force me to do (automatically) something that I might not want to do.

In this case, the autorefill shouldn't consumes ingredients...but if so, it would be even worse.

Sounds like a proper compromise. I don't know why anyone ever expected them to completely overhaul their original design.

Because it's not a good choice in terms of game design.

XD

The autorefill consumes ingredients. Ok. But...I could want to preserve all those ingredients to create other potions instead to refill those I have already. This mechanics force me to do (automatically) something that I might not want to do.

In this case, the autorefill shouldn't consumes ingredients...but if so, it would be even worse.

Exactly.

When it NEEDS ingredients (which it doesn't after the first time according to Marcin) it uses up those ingredients I want to save for other potions.
If it does NOT need ingredients it means as soon as I have alcohol in my inventory it will just randomly refill everything, even those potions that I do never want to use (and yes I am sure there is at least 1 potion I will never use because I just don't feel like wanting those effects....)
Also, which potions are filled up if I only have 1 or 2 bottles of alcohol? How does the game decide? Does it ask me? And if not, why not?

It's just ridiculous.

Sounds like a proper compromise. I don't know why anyone ever expected them to completely overhaul their original design.

It's not really a good compromise, at least for me. Now you'll go to meditate and suddenly 1, 2, 3 or however many alcohol bases will disappear that you might not have wanted to use, because the system is just automatically refilling your potions. Perhaps potions you didn't want to refill or maybe you'll have only taken 1 sip of your 3 sips Swallow and the game just basically completely wasted your alcohol.

I want complete control over my potion creation. I don't want to have to awkwardly find some kind of solution around the game, where I restrict my meditation use, or I always have to make sure I only carry 1 or 2 alcohol bases and constantly have to keep storing it all on Roach just because the game automatically does shit with my resources I don't want it to.

It's dumb, and I expected a different kind of compromise. If this is their compromise, I would have preferred they just not bother and stuck with it as the complete auto-refill, but whatever. This is the system now, we'll just have to wait and see how it works in the game and whether it's as big of a deal as what some of us think it is, and then hopefully we'll get Mods for it eventually.

XD

Well, I personally think they should have just stuck with their original vision we heard about at E3. Whether the alcohol is a detriment in the way you've described above will depend on how scarce it as. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a superficial requirement and that there won't be a need to preserve them since they want to encourage people to use potions all the time. Kinda like herbs were in W2.

I don't think they will design it in a way in which all potions are refilled automatically whenever you meditate. I assume they will give the player the choice which potions are to be refilled. Everything else is ridiculous. ;) And it would not make any sense. Like if you have 6 bottles of alcohol but 8 different potions which need to be refilled.

seriously the game balance was desgined around this system,..
In my first playthrough I'll try it out, if I think is trash when I finish, on a second playthrough I'll use some damn mods, but how we can know if this system comes out well or not if we don't test it? and I'm not saying test the system for 1 hour but for an entire playthrough or at least a big big part of it, and then judge,this system has both short term impact and long term specially with that upgrade thing

Top Bottom