The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project by Halk Hogan PL

+
What I meant was that it requires much more time and effort to create high resolution and very varied textures for a game so large such as the Witcher 3. The smaller the game is, the easier it is the achieve higher visual fidelity.

What DICE are doing BF1 is impressive however of course.

Oh don't be so sure about that. You probably have missed these.

On the VGX trailer the second combat scene at 1:01

On the debut gameplay at:056 a village in Skellige
On the debut gameplay at 0:58 the market place. On this one you can see the differences and I have to warn you that this gif can cause you severe anger.

If you have downloaded the uncompressed videos you can watch HD textures in all their glory.

On the debut gameplay at 0:58 the market place. On this one you can see the differences and I have to warn you that this gif can cause you severe anger.

If you have downloaded the uncompressed videos you can watch HD textures in all their glory.

Oh, god. What the hell happened? Why aren't these textures available as some kind of elite download pack?

As I look at it this really makes me want to cry. Why so they changed the graphic style and why they downgraded them? Since the beginning of playing I don't like this sweet graphics.
But I think that I could restore the old graphic style and this darkness of the previous versions (mainly, I mean less saturation, more sharpness, better quality and little greater contrast). I think that, in combination with some good Reshade it should look like before the downgrade. For sure it would take me a very long time but with time progress will be visible. But the question is would you want this or I have continue work as before and fit the style to current graphics??

Regards, Halk

Last edited:
But the question is would you want this or I have continue work as before and fit the style to current graphics??
I'd love it. And one more thing, take a look at the sky, it has changed so much. The clouds are much worse now, they lost their beautiful shape and artistic style.

I am fully aware of this footage. The game wasn't a fully playable open world by then though (and was using a whole different renderer only PC could handle :()

Edit: Oh and that gif compares the 2013 footage to the PS4 version. With lighting tweaks and a different camera angle that scene suddenly becomes a lot more appealing

The level of detail is still crap however (maybe the biggest downgrade of all).

Edit #2: Here is also the Skellige village with in-game sharpening set to high with Halk's Reworked mod, which actually gives the mountain rock more detail than it had in the 2013 footage.

Last edited:
I am fully aware of this footage. The game wasn't a fully playable open world by then though (and was using a whole different renderer only PC could handle )
We're talking about HD textures, not about being a complete open world game, which still has no freaking impact on on GPU since textures are only loaded once, as I said before.

Edit: Oh and that gif compares the 2013 footage to the PS4 version. With lighting tweaks and a different camera angle that scene suddenly becomes a lot more appealing
We still talk about textures and not about how we can do light tricks to make the scene more appealing. lol
P.S. look at that god dayum fog covering houses that are 20 meters away.. lol

I'd love it. And one more thing, take a look at the sky, it has changed so much. The clouds are much worse now, they lost their beautiful shape and artistic style.
Go check Battlefield's skybox. You will go crazy.

We're talking about HD textures, not about being a complete open world game, which still has no freaking impact on on GPU since textures are only loaded once, as I said before.

You are not getting what I'm saying, we have no clue how much of the game world was done and even functional at that point. Creating high resolution and varied textures for a game with the scale The Witcher 3 turned out to have in the end takes a lot of time and effort.

We still talk about textures and not about how we can do light tricks to make the scene more appealing. lol
P.S. look at that god dayum fog covering houses that are 20 meters away.. lol

Actually, lighting, sharpening, shading etc. does a lot to enhance and show off the texture work in a game. There actually isn't solid proof from what I've seen that the majority textures in the 2013 build were of superior in resolution as there actually isn't enough close ups to actually compare them properly. Though earlier builds did appear to use more paralex mapping or similar tech. Example below
The actual textures there in the above pic are all the same (and this kind of stuff enabled can be performance heavy).

What you're talking about with the fog hiding everything and things looking poor in the distance is the level of detail and that however is true that the visual quality of the game world was retained at way further distances in earlier builds, even in 2014 compared to the final release.

If there is an option to bring the dark atmosphere by changing textures to be like the old ones from 2013 version, oh hell yeah I want it.

I highly doubt that can be achieved with textures alone, but in that case Halk should then study the texture work in the Witcher 2 as that game and the 2013 footage pretty much had the same art style.

I highly doubt that can be achieved with textures alone, but in that case Halk should then study the texture work in the Witcher 2 as that game and the 2013 footage pretty much had the same art style.

I highly disagree - The Witcher 2 had the most vivid colors I've seen in an RPG, it's so freaking colorful that it was a huge eye-sore for me having played it right after finishing The Witcher.

You are not getting what I'm saying, we have no clue how much of the game world was done and even functional at that point. Creating high resolution and varied textures for a game with the scale The Witcher 3 turned out to have in the end takes a lot of time and effort.
And I proved you by the pictures I provided that WE ALREADY HAD HD TEXTURES MADE. Jesus Christ dude.

Though earlier builds did appear to use more paralex mapping or similar tech. Example below
That's because the previous renderer did support parallax contrary to the current one.

And I proved you by the pictures I provided that WE ALREADY HAD HD TEXTURES MADE. Jesus Christ dude.

Since what I said is still not getting trough to you I will avoid repeating myself a third time on that particular matter.

And no, your images does not in fact prove that the overall texture work in the 2013 build were of higher resolution. It might have been the case, but it's not possible to tell due to the distance away from them those images are taken.

What those images are showing is a lot of sharpening filter, different lighting, more advanced shaders and geometry, increased number of NPCs, way greater level of detail (this is the big one) and a different art style.

Honestly: Don't start making major changes. First of all it will be a lot of work for one person - second of all there are already lightning-mods that give the game that "look" (or something like it). Also some people might prefer the new "lighter" version to the one displayed in those videos. There is a huge difference between texture quality and lightning.

I suggest you keep working on existing textures that need fixing. I (and many other) would for instance love to see you rework the ivy. I have no idea if it is even doable, but the ivy is such an eyesore compared to all other plant textures. Even in the very beginning of the tutorial you get the beautiful scenic look over the area around Kaer Morhen, but then you see the ivy on the wall and the immersion is immediately broken :(

No matter what: Keep up the good work! :)

Speaking of Kaer Morhen, the exterior of that castle could definitely use some precious Halk treatment. It's clear it was supposed to have a lot of parallax mapping that just got ripped out late in development without any good replacement, making a lot of the structure look very blocky.

Rich Wood Planks

Reworked Rich Wood Planks:

I think that now looks little better.

Honestly: Don't start making major changes. First of all it will be a lot of work for one person - second of all there are already lightning-mods that give the game that "look" (or something like it). Also some people might prefer the new "lighter" version to the one displayed in those videos. There is a huge difference between texture quality and lightning.

I suggest you keep working on existing textures that need fixing. I (and many other) would for instance love to see you rework the ivy. I have no idea if it is even doable, but the ivy is such an eyesore compared to all other plant textures. Even in the very beginning of the tutorial you get the beautiful scenic look over the area around Kaer Morhen, but then you see the ivy on the wall and the immersion is immediately broken :(

No matter what: Keep up the good work! :)
I'll think about Ivy.
Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom