The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's done by one of our fellow forum members here ( @guilhermecn ). There you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVe47uXcwA

There were one or two other interviews that he talked about this (which included the smoke bit), but it would take too much time for me to find them, so I'm sorry for not being able to provide them.

But I thought the whole appeal of PhysX is to add additional graphical effects? Then what is the point of PhysX being enabled in the game? I don't get it.

@SpeedRunner101 There was not tessellation in witcher 2. Witcher 2 was DX 9 game.

@arkhenon
Edit: Oh, but you can see tesellation in Jesse Cox's video, on the walls in that crypt. That's a whole other business.

I do not think that is tessellation either. This kind of walls was in Witcher 2 too. I think this is just stone with more polygons in the edge of walls and normal map in the center just how was in witcher 2

Yeah but it sucks that smoke effects are removed. If you're in a city it adds to the atmosphere. In scenario's where there is fire, those smoke effects would add to the realism.

I am not too sure about that. You can see tesellation on bricks in this screenshot:

And tiles in this one:

Also in Jesse Cox's video which you can see in the quote above me.

I don't know why there is no tesellation on the bricks in that commander scene though, that's weird. Apparently it's mostly there, but not at some points.

nope dude, theres no tesselation on textures at all and never was to begin with. And in Jesse's video, the textures in the crypt are actually exactly the same as in TW2.

Last edited:

That's just a definition of tesselation, I'm not sure the relevance?
Tesselation existed in DX9 but had a massive performance hit. One of the biggest "selling points" of DX11 was that tesselation would become practical for games that wanted to use it.
That still doesn't mean that developers will use displacement mapping/tesselation where normal or bump mapping will do the job. It just gives them an additional technique.

Actually there is no any game which use tessellation in DX9. For example I remember that how RED said that "ubersampling was so heavy because it worked in DX9 API. But when we will use it in DX11 it will not be as demanding as Witcher 2 because of DX9". Now imagine how demanding the game was if RED used tessellation too. And another problem is, i think the hardware acceleration of tessellation in Dx9 only use ATI cards. Not Nvidia cards. But may be i am wrong.

1) I don't see any difference between the recent gameplay footage and Sword of Destiny.

2) The VGX trailer looks closer to the recent CGI TV Spot than the latest gameplay footage :p. Sorry, that's just how it is. Sure the character models were worse, but everything else was godly. We see it, we can;t deny it. If when the game is out somebody uploads a clip that replicates exactly the Village Gif from VGX, i will give him my Gibson Les Paul '58 reissue customshop. It is just not happening.

That being said, i don;t care. I like the fact that i will be able to play the game with decent framerate on something above 800x600 res on low.

That interview about the clouds was a while ago.

Wonder if we can get any update on how that process is going?

Figured out that the nvidia physx destruction is what makes the bomb explosion look so good, so that is a separate thing.

But yeah the volumetric clouds may or may not be in I guess.

OH POWERFUL DEVS. IF YOU ARE READING THIS>>>>>>

Update? haha. WE WANT THOSE EFFECTS.

Hell I want them. Even if it turns my PC (which has pretty good specs) into a crater.

---------- Updated at 03:05 PM ----------

1) I don't see any difference between the recent gameplay footage and Sword of Destiny.

2) The VGX trailer looks closer to the recent CGI TV Spot than the latest gameplay footage :p. Sorry, that's just how it is. Sure the character models were worse, but everything else was godly. We see it, we can;t deny it. If when the game is out somebody uploads a clip that replicates exactly the Village Gif from VGX, i will give him my Gibson Les Paul '58 reissue customshop. It is just not happening.

That being said, i don;t care. I like the fact that i will be able to play the game with decent framerate on something above 800x600 res on low.

The difference is the lack of physx or volumetric effects in recent footage.

Other than that, its just a little worse draw distance, and lack of depth of field.

Other than that though it definitely looks the same.

But I thought the whole appeal of PhysX is to add additional graphical effects? Then what is the point of PhysX being enabled in the game? I don't get it.

There's turbulence, destruction, hair and so on... PhysX is not just for smoke/fog you know. And the guy looks extremely sad that they had to cut it, and says that he'll do his best to add it back again. I mean, what more can we want?

@andykww That's true, what I was talking about was displacement mapping. Also, in one of the videos about that Nilfgaardian camp, I saw a better brick texture than what is used in the January map. It wasn't perfect, but yeah I guess that's because of the lighting conditions as you said. Needs a bit more of an angular lighting for the trick to work.

@amfibiya89 Might be true... Although there has to be tesellation in the game right?.. I'm damn sure I read in the GameStar magazine that the guy was talking about how Ultra adds more tesellation...

@SpeedRunner101 The clouds were never announced to be fully volumetric though. It was semi-volumetric, and we can see those semi-volumetric clouds several times in the footages (as linked A LOT before around here). But of course not all of them are semi-volumetric. The coulds high up in the sky are just a skybox (A mighty good one though I must say, with being dynamic and all. The skybox in this game look stunning to me - thanks to Jose, a.k.a. God of Clouds). Also I have mixed observations about the draw distance. In some instances in the latest footages I can see the DD being huge, in some of them there is the DD fog (Well, some of it might be normal fog; but some has to be DD fog indeed) apparent. So I'm going to guess that the SoD draw distance is still there, but depending on the burden of the scene, or how unblocked of a view point you have (if you are atop a high mountain, the game will have to show you more stuff, hence lowered DD) we will still have a damn huge DD.

Last edited:
There is tesselation in the game, but its only used to add more polygons to terrain(not textures) and also used on water.

Although there has to be tesellation in the game right?.. I'm damn sure I read in the GameStar magazine that the guy was talking about how Ultra adds more tesellation...

@arkhenon You are right man. Before my post about tessellation i just googled and wanted to find the interview about tessellation. But i can't find it. But i remember that RED said that "we will not use tessellation on character models. Because of 2 reason. It's very hard from technical side and our characters are very detailed. So tessellation will not change the characters very much". But about environment i remember that they will use tessellation (may be i remember wrong). And about terrain we already know they use it.

So it is interesting to me too why i can not see tessellation on anything?

And I did not say that witcher 3 will not use tessellation. I said that i did not see tessellation on walls which you mentioned. And about Gamerstar. For me they are liars. I do not want enter to this more, but this is my own opinion after what i saw from ultra setting of Witcher 3.

So it is interesting to me too why i can not see tessellation on anything?

Why would you expect to see tesselation? If it's done right, it should simply look as though there's a higher poly count than there really is. The moment you can point to something and say "That has tesselation!" it means it failed.
Or are you talking about displacement mapping (which uses tesselation)? If so, then it's back to the earlier points - if they can do 90% of it with bump/normal maps, and also use actual models (such as rocks), then displacement mapping is probably fairly rare.

Why would you expect to see tesselation? If it's done right, it should simply look as though there's a higher poly count than there really is. The moment you can point to something and say "That has tesselation!" it means it failed.
Or are you talking about displacement mapping (which uses tesselation)? If so, then it's back to the earlier points - if they can do 90% of it with bump/normal maps, and also use actual models (such as rocks), then displacement mapping is probably fairly rare.

No, i did not mean displacement mapping. When i say "why i can not see tessellation" i mean for example the little stones on ground, wall stones which in last video where Geralt fight with Ghosts in church, trees, tree branches, interior objects, and etc. We clearly see hard edges on this objects. And i think there is no tessellation on that objects.

But i say again. May be i remember wrong about RED will use object tessellation.

Whoops, didn't mean to start a tessellation fight. Just was looking at some screens of brick walls and stuff, looked very very flat.

Probably old build or something.

Hel I'll take volumetric effects over better tessellation any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom