The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Retail PC Version FAQ

+
Hi Marcin , I just signed up after reading your FAQs on the web. I would like to ask a question about Steam users. You said you people employed a GOG.com code so that honest users get free updates and DLCs. What about Steam users? Will we also need a Gog.com code or we get free updates and DLCs without any such hassle? Please clarify, thanks

Hi Marcin , I just signed up after reading your FAQs on the web. I would like to ask a question about Steam users. You said you people employed a GOG.com code so that honest users get free updates and DLCs. What about Steam users? Will we also need a Gog.com code or we get free updates and DLCs without any such hassle? Please clarify, thanks

The updates and DLC (and the enhancement packs, if you buy them) for the Steam version come directly from Steam, as with other games.

Alright. The reason that I'm asking is because the patch data can probably be hosted by fans for others to download if they don't want to have a GOG account (assuming this is the case)

As for questions 1 and 2 - that concerns the games biggest fans, the ones that are buying the physical copies on launch. It would seem rather bully if they'll always be stuck with having to keep that file around, no matter how small it ends up being. I mean, if it's actually small and not "small" by modern standards I'll be fine with it, but I can understand any ire that might arise from this decision. I'm sure having a way to patch the installer itself with the file would calm people down.

You'll also need to "keep around" dlc and game-patches. The GoG code will give permanent access to the full digital distribution too.
Almost seems a non issue tbh.

So I foresighted it very well, the boxed copies lack a file so it won't leak, sorry but Ï call that DRM and it was a big lie that the boxed versions can be installed and played _offline_. Maybe the EE or GOTY version will be but not the initial ones. And as per gog code in the retail boxes, it is gonna work similar to an steam key, you are gonna need it to validate the game and download patches and dlcs from GOG... So a DRM again =) It won't be a good idea to sell the gog code, you may be able to if you wish but not a good idea. I think I guessed it all 2 weeks ago.

The only painful detail is that steam users do get a gog key as well, HEY! ï want an steam key with my gog preorder :/ That is NOT fair!!!! Especially to the ones like me that have the games in both stores, my plan has always been to get W3 at steam in some sale in the future, very cheap, as my main ones are the ones at gog. My steam ones are my backups :p

EDIT: The gog keys from steam games may end being sold, if they are not mandatory, are the 16 free dlcs available at steam or are gonna steam users be forced to get them at gog? They wont be happy...

EDIT2: Not clear if the steam version has or not a gog key....

Last edited:
Nothing so far suggests that there is a GOG key with a steam purchase. So I highly doubt there is.

Nothing so far suggests that there is a GOG key with a steam purchase. So I highly doubt there is.

I HOPE so then. But somebody should have to tell that guy before he cancels the gog-the-only-without-drm-version preorder.... ;)

The OnDisk leak failsafe

I have heard of a on disk anti leak thing where after the game has been installed you have to download a file to be able to make it run, but if a customer can't connect to the internet how would they be able to play the game?

First off, this is for PC only. And for the first production batch of PC retail copies only.
And secondly, there is no way to play without that small download. The file will be made available on their site. So, you can download it whenever you want and wherever you want and run it on the system W3 is installed.

They are likely banking on idea that someone with the fund to both afford a PC capable of running the game+buy the game itself day one, is likely to have some means to access the internet briefly.

I just know that i will have some internet maintenance in this are for a while around the time the game releases, if i am unlucky i could be without internet for a while so i wanted to know just in case.

It's not to prevent any leak, but to prevent the pirate copies showing on internet before the D1.

If you want to think of it that way, maybe.
But it also prevents leaks and I, for one, don't want to see any massive spoiler dumps BEFORE the game actually comes out. CDPR have been trying to prevent that from happening for a long time now.

I just know that i will have some internet maintenance in this are for a while around the time the game releases, if i am unlucky i could be without internet for a while so i wanted to know just in case.
I'm sure it would be small enough to be downloaded onto a phone.

It's not to prevent any leak, but to prevent the pirate copies showing on internet before the D1.
Isn't that the very definition of a leak? Leaked versions of games are never legal so obtaining such a copy is pretty much the equivalent of piracy.

I find it a bit funny that people expect the to pre-load the game without a form of DRM attached to it (even one as minor as this). Needing an extra file to activate it on release day is the least intrusive way of doing this. What doesn't make much sense though is the whole need a GOG code to download patches and free DLC... like that's going to stop pirates from updating their game. It's still a form of DRM that has the potential to screw over some legit customers in the end.

Last edited:
A lot of you have been asking about the GOG.com code being in the boxed version of the game. The answer is YES! Please check below for more details regarding this fact.

Q: Do I need Internet access to install the retail PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt?
A: The initial, pre-premiere retail PC batch of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt needs to download a file from our servers to allow play. This file will either be downloaded automatically during installation process or you can choose to download it manually from a dedicated website. Since we have no DRM in the game, this is a security measure we needed to incorporate so the game doesn’t leak during the production process. No worries, the file will not be big. Copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt produced after launch will not contain this security feature.

Q: Will there be any sort of serial number provided in the retail PC box?
A: The game does not require any serial code to install or play. However, each retail PC copy of Wild Hunt will contain an additional GOG.com game code for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. See below for details.

Q: What is the GOG.com game code found in the box used for?
The game code grants you access to a digital backup copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com. You will also receive full software support, i.e. future updates, as well as all the additional content like the 16 Free DLCs, the FLAC & MP3 soundtrack, comics, wallpapers, art book, all voice over packs and more.

Q: Can I install and play the game without the GOG.com game code?
A: Yes you can install and play the game without the game code.

Q: Will I be able to install updates and the free DLCs without using the GOG.com game code?
We decided to offer software support, DLCs, and extra goodies only to gamers who confirm their purchase with the provided game code on GOG.com. This is the only way for us to differentiate between you, honest gamers who bought our game, and pirates who snatched it from the Internet.

Q: Do I need to become a GOG.com user to play the game I just bought?
A: You can install and play the game without becoming a GOG.com user.

I am blinded by how much win is in this post.

Top Bottom