The Witcher Remake is in development!

+
All you need is a "jump" button. Not open world. You don't need open world to eliminate loading screens, either. Just newer engine.
So, a game where you won't have to walk a narrow path with invisible walls and be able to enter buildings freely is not an open world game?
Not exactly - best gear in the game is obtained by completing the relevant quests. You can find Harvall as early as ch2 if you know where to look. No grinding required. As for the books - they are expensive, but you only need to read them once to unlock the journal entries, then sell them and get back 50% of money required to buy them. Nice and simple.
Great, now tell me how "not to grind" for a 5k armor, only obtainable from merchants. Unless of course your solution is to avoid it at all costs, until you will be able to get the best armor in the final chapter.
Also, what? "Nice and simple 50%"?
Buy: 50
Sell: 10
That's some Hollywood level accounting.
I do if the game's economy is designed in the way that makes collecting loot and selling it more lucrative than completing quests or gambling. Which is unfortunately the way economy in TW3 and CP2077 functions.
Most side quests in W1 were designed around killing monsters and collecting their loot. Besides, doing quests because they are interesting is infinitely superior design to doing them because you'll get a better sword or other shit.
Because it's completely gamey concept, without any basis in the lore and exists solely to incentivize the players to spend most of their time looking for the same 15-20 ingredients in ever-increasing quantity instead of playing the actual quests where bulk of developers' effort was spent.
1) Gamey concepts in my vidaya? Never! I also don't see how making a better version of a mixture is out of the realm of probability.
2) Good thing I couldn't give a damn about some "lore". Most of the potions are in-game invention anyway;
3) You can buy most of this ingredients from the shops without having to look for them.
God forbid a game would actually make me go out and explore the world.
Also "incentivize the players to spend most of their time looking for the same 15-20 ingredients in ever-increasing quantity"?
Just like in Witcher 1, where you had to replenish your alchemy stock manually, by getting as much loot as possible.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

So, a game where you won't have to walk a narrow path with invisible walls and be able to enter buildings freely is not an open world game?
No, what I said is: you don't need open-world game to achieve that. You can have both of these things without creating a massive open world.
Unless of course your solution is to avoid it at all costs, until you will be able to get the best armor in the final chapter.
Yeah, pretty much - avoid it at all costs, 10% damage reduction is absolutely not worth 5K. Invest in skills and potions instead.
This is the example of poor balance, without a doubt, but you don't have to grind to reach the final chapter.
Buy: 50
Sell: 10
That's some Hollywood level accounting.
You really had to pick the unmissable book, mandatory for progression of the main quest? Which you cannot even buy from anyone even if you're determined to waste money. ;)
You can find copies of most of the books for free.
I also don't see how making a better version of a mixture is out of the realm of probability.
What is outside of the realm of probability is being required to obtain worse or basic version of the mixture and then having to "upgrade" it.
Where is the logic in game preventing us from creating superior tawny owl right away (if we know the formula), before we make the basic or enhanced version?
You can buy most of this ingredients from the shops without having to look for them
Which still doesn't make concept of "upgrading" potions any less... dumb.
Just like in Witcher 1, where you had to replenish your alchemy stock manually, by getting as much loot as possible.
With just two small differences:
1) potion effects can last for 20-30 real-life minutes as opposed to 20-90 seconds superior versions do in the third game; meaning, you're not burning through your reserves nearly as fast as you do in TW3
2) you're collecting elements which can be obtained from many, many different ingredients - just by playing the game you're naturally coming across everything you need to keep playing it; no need to go on a farming detour.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, what I said is: you don't need open-world game to achieve that. You can have both of these things without creating a massive open world.
So first the problem was just open world, now it's massive open world? Where did they state that it's going to be massive anyway?
And it's not just connecting streets and interiors, it's connecting docks to Temple Quarter and Temple Quarter to cemetery, etc. Removing loading screens between locations that are just right after another would require a transfer to at least partial open world. This is such a ridiculous non-issue, especially considering that original locations are big as is, so connecting them and making them somewhat more open is a very easy thing to pull of.
You really had to pick the unmissable book, mandatory for progression of the main quest?
Yes, how could you tell?
Besides, it's as good as any to illustrate a point, that "50%" is a false number. Also, while some bestiaries can be found for free, most of the herbalist books had to be bought.
What is outside of the realm of probability is being required to obtain worse or basic version of the mixture and then having to "upgrade" it.
Where is the logic in game preventing us from creating superior tawny owl right away (if we know the formula), before we make the basic or enhanced version?
That's... what upgrading means. Finding some existing object and improving on it.
I'll try to explain it. Geralt finds a potion recipe. He then finds a way to improve it, in order to do so he takes existing formula and adds new ingredients to it - but instead of making you collect ingredients for the potion that you've already made, the game circumvents it by taking the existing elixir and "upgrading" it.
Unless of course you mean that by finding enhanced version, you should be able to get the basic version straight away, which is plausible, but will skew the balance. Not to mention, that from "lore" perspective, the recipe can simply state "add this and that to the X formula that I won't mention in details".

Last edited:
I can hear the music.
And I wonder if they'll keep Geralt's look? Not update it to the Witcher 3 look.

Last edited:
I can hear the music.
And I wonder if they'll keep Geralt's look? Not update it to the Witcher 3 look.
I don't see much difference save for the TW3 beard (if we're talking about the face only).

Which begs the question: will there be barbers with different haido options as in the 2 sequels, or just the default elven style?

Please cast Henry Cavill as Geralt especially after what Netflix did.....
He 100% deserves the role.

Trading Doug Cockle for Cavill wouldn't be a fair exchang
That's why CDPR would make it fair, Cockle and Cavill respect and praise one another.
The community would be pleased either way. It would just be nice to see something fresh with the best story of the series.

That's why CDPR would make it fair, Cockle and Cavill respect and praise one another.
The community would be pleased either way. It would just be nice to see something fresh with the best story of the series.
No, that would be like having Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime) replaced, the late Kevin Conroy (Batman) replaced (when they replaced him for a Batman game, I did not play it.), Mark Hammel (The Joker) replaced.

The only characters that need changed is what I said before, we need the current Triss & Lambert voice actors to re-voice for the remake. And to the one that said that it's not the original devs that did the 1st one, actually, it is the team that did the 1st one. That Game Studio is comprised of all ex CDPR devs. But since that person didn't play the first game & no desire to, why trash it. It's great that you have an opinion, I won't take that away from you, but it is almost mindless drivel to trash something that you won't play.

No, that would be like having Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime) replaced, the late Kevin Conroy (Batman) replaced (when they replaced him for a Batman game, I did not play it.), Mark Hammel (The Joker) replaced.

The only characters that need changed is what I said before, we need the current Triss & Lambert voice actors to re-voice for the remake. And to the one that said that it's not the original devs that did the 1st one, actually, it is the team that did the 1st one. That Game Studio is comprised of all ex CDPR devs. But since that person didn't play the first game & no desire to, why trash it. It's great that you have an opinion, I won't take that away from you, but it is almost mindless drivel to trash something that you won't playIt
It would certainly not trash it dude?...
I can totally understand about Batman but the Witcher series is a much smaller IP.
Like I said the community respects both actors and everyone knows Cavill nailed the roll, so I think most of us would be pleased either way.
Its an easy acceptance due to his love for the books, author, and games.
[...]

Last edited:
I can totally understand about Batman but the Witcher series is a much smaller IP.
Like I said the community respects both actors and everyone knows Cavill nailed the roll, so I think most of us would be pleased either way.
[...]
Henry Cavill stepped down from the role of Geralt though (he has also been kicked out of his role as Superman, believe it or not, which is mind-boggling), so the Netflix character is now going to be somebody else's from S4 onwards (Liam Hemsworth). He said something about "not wanting to work with people who do not respect Sapkowski's books", so he's all right by me (just not as Geralt though, and Hemsworth is an even more wrong choice)

[...]

might be a smaller IP is true but when you have one guy on the English version playing the voice of Geralt for 15 years, the same voice that Henry mimicked in the Netflix disaster, people want to throw that away like it's nothing is what is mind boggling. It may be an easy acceptance for you, never assume that it would be an easy acceptance for all. You may not have said for all, but I would never accept it and trash it every which way to Sunday if it were to happen.

I also love books, game & author (though, he doesn't care what we think one way or another) does that mean I can take over the voice just because of that according to your analogy?

Looks quite promising, specially given the same people who made the original is in charge of the remake. If only that was the case of the KOTOR remake (not so hopeful about that one).
Post automatically merged:

Please cast Henry Cavill as Geralt especially after what Netflix did.....
He 100% deserves the role.
Mr Cavill has my sympathies, specially after what Netflix did to him, but his acting in the show looks literally as if he's doing a bad imitation of Doug Cockle. I don't fault him though, that's probably what the showrunners told him to do.

Last edited:

We are thrilled to announce that The Witcher Remake is being worked on! That's right, the game that started it all is being rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5.

The game is currently in the early stages of development at the Polish studio Fool’s Theory, where veteran Witcher series staff are involved. We, as CD PROJEKT RED, are providing full creative supervision.

The Witcher Remake is what you might know by the codename “Canis Majoris”. It’s still early and we want to ensure that the game is created with the utmost care and attention to detail, therefore, while we’re excited to share the news with you, we want to ask you for patience as it will be a while until we start talking about this project in detail.

“The Witcher is where it all started for us, for CD PROJEKT RED. It was the first game we made, ever, and it was a big moment for us then. Going back to this place and remaking the game for the next generation of gamers to experience it feels just as big, if not bigger,” said Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD PROJEKT RED. “Collaborating with Fool’s Theory on the project is just as exciting, as some of the people there have been previously involved in The Witcher games. They know the source material well, they know how much gamers have been looking forward to seeing the remake happen, and they know how to make incredible and ambitious games. And although it will take some time before we’re ready to share more about and from the game, I know it’ll be worth the wait.”
When’s the release date??

We are thrilled to announce that The Witcher Remake is being worked on! That's right, the game that started it all is being rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5.

The game is currently in the early stages of development at the Polish studio Fool’s Theory, where veteran Witcher series staff are involved. We, as CD PROJEKT RED, are providing full creative supervision.

The Witcher Remake is what you might know by the codename “Canis Majoris”. It’s still early and we want to ensure that the game is created with the utmost care and attention to detail, therefore, while we’re excited to share the news with you, we want to ask you for patience as it will be a while until we start talking about this project in detail.

“The Witcher is where it all started for us, for CD PROJEKT RED. It was the first game we made, ever, and it was a big moment for us then. Going back to this place and remaking the game for the next generation of gamers to experience it feels just as big, if not bigger,” said Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD PROJEKT RED. “Collaborating with Fool’s Theory on the project is just as exciting, as some of the people there have been previously involved in The Witcher games. They know the source material well, they know how much gamers have been looking forward to seeing the remake happen, and they know how to make incredible and ambitious games. And although it will take some time before we’re ready to share more about and from the game, I know it’ll be worth the wait.”
are we gonna see a remake of all three games anytime soon or is it just gonna be the first game?

Are they remaking the whole series or are they only gonna remake witcher 1 because they could do like mass effect did remastered all the games

Hello,
Sorry if the question has already been raised in another topic, I did not find. I was wondering if an adaptation of The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2 was scheduled to be released on playstation/X-box systems, as Mass Effect trilogy was remastered ?
Best regards

Hello,
Sorry if the question has already been raised in another topic, I did not find. I was wondering if an adaptation of The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2 was scheduled to be released on playstation/X-box systems, as Mass Effect trilogy was remastered ?
Best regards
I could be wrong and things can change, but as far as I know, no.
Edit : I misunderstood... SO no "remaster" for TW1 or TW2 planned (yet). But I'm pretty confident that TW1 remake will be available on consoles too (a good idea to release a game which was PC exclusive at time on consoles).

Last edited:
Hello,
Best regards
A remake requires a lot more work than a remaster. There will likely be a whole new generation of consoles before the remake is released.

Last edited:
Top Bottom