The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends whether you hold the interpretation that it actually still exists or not, after they've both died and come back to life.

True... ah well, we'll find out. Men, it's been quite some time since I was looking forward to the conclusion of a story that much... not even Mass Effect 3 could pull that off for me.

Depends whether you hold the interpretation that it actually still exists or not, after they've both died and come back to life.

Yeah, that's how I look at it too. The curse most likely have dissipated when their destinies were fulfilled and they both "died".
Of course, die-hard Yennefans probably don't see it that exact way, so I hope we'll be able to go with either "interpretation" of it in the game. If the curse will even be brought up at all, anyway.

So far we have only seen the prologue, so i wouldn't judge so early.

And as far as i know it was called a wish expressed by Geralt and not a curse :)

and why should their death end that bonding?

About Ciri, she isn't a girl anymore like in the books, but a grown adult. I don't think we will be able to decide what she will do in any way, maybe advise her to do that or this, but i hope that she has her own goals/motives to achieve.

Ultimately everything they've experienced, all the feelings, emotions etc, none of that has disappeared, and regardless of a wish, it gives them reason to be together.
Really the wish is kind of irrelevant at this stage due to all of that, but I personally go one step further in my interpretation and believe it was deemed "fulfilled" the day they died.

CDPR have their own interpretation I'm sure and suffice to say I'm very interested to see where everything goes, and I am not making up my mind about anything in regards to a romantic choice. However that's just my personal belief when it comes to the Djinn, and everything surrounding the Wish, which I find some people tend to cling to it a little too hard.

Yeah, that's how I look at it too. The curse most likely have dissipated when their destinies were fulfilled and they both "died".
Of course, die-hard Yennefans probably don't see it that exact way, so I hope we'll be able to go with either "interpretation" of it in the game. If the curse will even be brought up at all, anyway.

That's how i see it. If it held any sway over them that ended with their deaths. They are both now free to pursue other destinies and i'll be trying to carry on pursuing Triss in TW3.

And as far as i know it was called a wish expressed by Geralt and not a curse

Yes you' re absolute right here, Geralts Last Wish "bound" them both together... nevertheless
they dealt with a Djinn there... and we know the witcher universe... that wish could be turned
into a "curse" by the Djinn (thats one interpretation)... even if both where happy with that ;)

So if both destinys where bound together by the wish / curse. The bond may break after the "aim"
of the curse is reached, aka after they died and they get send out of the world by Ciri. The "rule" of
the last wish might not apply any longer.

Also... there are still the years they have passed by and like it or not... people change during the years
passing by. I really look forward to our "first meeting" with Yennefer in TW3... damn i really do!

This will be fucking awesome... also some very salty dialogs between Yennefer, Geralt and Triss.
:heart:

Hehehhehe 19 Days left ladys!!!

I know we've talked about this before, but since it came up again...

I don't think Sapkowski intended for Geralt and Yennefer to just die in the books. I think he wanted to retire them, to a world where they would not be bothered. I get this impression not only from the whole situation with Ciri, Ihuarraquax and the boat, but also from Ciri's words to Gallahad afterwards. I don't think they died.

Now CDPR definitely does not think Geralt and Yennefer died. They brought them back and made 3 games about them. If someone dies in the Witcher Universe, he stays dead, or comes back as a wraith. He doesn't come back as a living person.

I agree with Vigilance, that at this point, Geralt's and Yennefer's relationship is not just about Geralt's wish. The characters have been through so much together, and they have someone that unites them more than anything. And that is Ciri. But the wish is still very important. Since it is about Destiny. Geralt and Destiny go way back, I sometimes think he messes with Destiny so much, in an attempt to prove that it doesn't exist. Hasn't worked out that well for him, at least in his World.

At this point this is what we know.

Yennefer was with Emhyr, maybe a prisoner, maybe not, for quite some time. But she is allowed to go free, unless magically controlled which I doubt. If CDPR's Yennefer is anything like Sapkowski's then I don't think she works for Emhyr. Maybe she works with him for the time being, but definitely not for him. As long as he helps her locate Ciri, she would work with him. That is, if she knows about Ciri.

Same applies to Geralt. He will do anything to protect Ciri first. Yennefer comes after that.

Now Triss is not exactly like that. Triss will give her life to protect either of the three, be it Geralt, Ciri or even Yennefer. She is brave, because she is notorious for not being brave. Anyway. But she is also "loyal" to the North. She will fight for the North one way or another, and she will most definitely be against Emhyr. That makes her, somewhat ineffective, as far as finding and helping Ciri goes. I think she is going to be torn, without a clear goal in mind, just as she was in the books. I bet she will do something really important eventually.

Yet we have to take into consideration the potential character development she had mostly in TW1 with Alvin, and her current situation. She is a former adviser, to a fallen Kingdom. She doesn't have any political influence. And she is out of the "dismantled" Lodge. Her options are limited, so maybe she will decide to fully support Geralt in his quest.

And that could be how the love triangle becomes more "possible" in my head. Because Yennefer will not follow Geralt. She might help him from time to time, but she will do things her own way. She will run off and track down Ciri on her own, because everyone else is slowing her down. And she is kind of right, considering her skills.

So I don't think it will be Emhyr - Yennefer versus Triss - Lodge. All three characters care for Ciri. Her safety is the most important thing. The romance dynamics in that quest can fluctuate a lot as the game goes on.

Thing is, if Yennefer finds out about Geralt and Triss, she will probably be furious. And she will find out. The King's witcher was fucking the Royal Adviser, that was no secret. But hey, Geralt did have amnesia.

I just hope we get to see the characters more than what we saw of them in the previous games. Game size will definitely play a role, but you know..

Hopefully we won't see a character at the start of the game, and then meet them again, 40 hours down the road for a quick summary of their adventures. I mean sure I'd like to see something like that, but also spending some time developing the relationship between two characters, would be awesome. Like the small chat Geralt had with his friends in Flotsam before the Kayran attacked.

Last edited:
There's something disturbe me... how are you so sure Yem WON't follow Geralt when she followed him to death and accept to stay with him in Avalach? Why cannot she want to recover this moment of their lives? Characters in game as TW3 don't can feel love as real people? They can feel ambition, rage, hate... aall the bad feelings but noy good feelings? So, love is not a good feeling enough for being as real in a CDPR's game as in real live?

And with that I'm not saying love must be obliged in game but...

There's something disturbe me... how are you so sure Yem WON't follow Geralt when she followed him to death and accept to stay with him in Avalach? Why cannot she want to recover this moment of their lives? Characters in game as TW3 don't can feel love as real people? They can feel ambition, rage, hate... aall the bad feelings but noy good feelings? So, love is not a good feeling enough for being as real in a CDPR's game as in real live?

And with that I'm not saying love must be obliged in game but...

No, I mean of course they can feel love. And they do. It is because of that love that she won't follow him. She will protect Ciri no matter the cost. If she follows Geralt around, she has less chances of finding Ciri as fast as she should. I think she will go looking for her on her own, while Geralt will try to follow her trail, or look for the girl on his own.

Don't get me wrong I am sure Yennefer has established a connection with Ciri and she loves her. But she loves Geralt more. The main reason she ever got involved with Ciri is because the girl is so important to Geralt. She is his Destiny. That Djinn must have been really powerful.

So she can't just fool around following Geralt, when she knows that she can find the girl faster than anyone else. If she did and Ciri was hurt or killed, she knows what it would do to Geralt. So yeah, I think she will run off on her own. Not because of bad feelings, but because of love. Love is certainly a good enough feeling to guide a character's action in a game. Hell it's probably the most important aspect in fiction, since in real life, such intensity of the feeling is really rare. It has to exist in fiction.

There isn't much time for lovin' when your daughterfu is about to be snatched by trans-dimensional knife-ears, is there?
It's a bit too early to tell, but I can totally see Yen going off to look for Ciri herself. To pursue other leads, while Geralt is mucking around Skellige, Novigrad and No Man's Land. Maybe do another favor or two for Emhyr, depending on how tight they are. The last thing Yen would want to do is to babysit Geralt, I think. And it's not like CDPR's Geralt needs a lot of babysitting anyhow.
Either way, we already know that you get to spend some time together, when you actually need her help, so don't worry.

Sorry, there's a lot of misunderstood. I can accept and I do any Geralt option in realtionship, but it seems there's only one and untouchable one for other people. If I put on the table a possible option is rebated by facts that I must to accept, yes or yes. Ciri make Geralt and Yen love greater and stronger. Are you telling that is dead? It's impossible an option to follow this path?

Here there's only two possible and acceptable path: the readers before the game (abosulte lore) and the no readers at all (game lore). What about CDPR taste for being give us options

Dont' follow him... in what way? they cannot make a team and take separates ways for having the same result? feeling a strong love each for other ... or not?... Maybe I misunderstood some predispositions here, but It seems to me that it's given to Triss the Northen flag and to Yen the Empire one... Why? Where is stated? how you know what CDPR have writen about that in TW3?

---------- Updated at 02:25 PM ----------

There isn't much time for lovin' when your daughterfu is about to be snatched by trans-dimensional knife-ears, is there?
It's a bit too early to tell, but I can totally see Yen going off to look for Ciri herself. To pursue other leads, while Geralt is mucking around Skellige, Novigrad and No Man's Land. Maybe do another favor or two for Emhyr, depending on how tight they are. The last thing Yen would want to do is to babysit Geralt, I think. And it's not like CDPR's Geralt needs a lot of babysitting anyhow.
Either way, we already know that you get to spend some time together, when you actually need her help, so don't worry.

Sorry, I absolutely failed trying to be understood by you. Don't worry if yhour answer has nothing to do with what I mean. It's nor your fault :)

Excuse my dumbness... but are you talking about fornication or love? ... Are meaning that feelings stop to be there because troubles appear?, like a stand by?. Which switch on/off button is? I need to learn about people and suffering, yet.

Last edited:
The language barrier can be a pain sometimes, I get it. That's what I was trying to say in my rather large post, that Yennefer should not be linked with the Empire.

Triss however can be linked to the North or the Lodge, however I find it not that possible considering her current situation. She is a pariah just as much as Geralt at this point.

Geralt and Yennefer will be on the same team, I just don't think that they will be working together. They have the same goal, but they will take different paths. I mean that's what I feel like is going to happen.

Triss and Geralt will also be on the same team. But Triss' goals are usually more complicated, since she is a member of the Lodge, or a Royal Adviser. But now that she has lost these positions, she could either follow Geralt or try and get her influence back. Hell she might even help Radovid, though I doubt the King will trust any Sorceress near him, after his "quarrel" with Phillipa.

Excuse my dumbness... but are you talking about fornication or love? ... Are meaning that feelings stop to be there because troubles appear?, like a stand by?

Both. And the term "stand by", in my opinion, is somewhat appropriate. Ciri is in danger, fleeing from the Wild Hunt. The whole world is slowly starting to freeze. It may as well be the end times. And the relationship is more complicated now than it ever was. I think it might be a good time to put aside your (Geralt's, Triss's, Yen's) feelings for a moment and just work together to save that girl. Too many people died for Ciri already and you need to make it count. But this is all just my opinion, of course.
And even in the novels, Yen and Geralt worked towards the same goal, just not "together". I won't be surprised if it's the same in the games, even if the end goal (what happens to Ciri after Geralt gets to her) might differ.

And I understand your concerns, I just tried to avoid addressing your question about love, since @StaGiors covered it better than I ever could... which didn't really work, I guess.

Good.
Cirilla almost fell in love with him...She wants to be snatched :D

That's no reason to not prevent it. I will not have my daughterfu hanging out with ELVES, even if they are not of this world.

REMOVE ELF REMOVE ELF

I am 100% certain Triss is going to be politcally active and working to shift everything 1) in favour of the Northern Realms and 2) to ease whatever discrimination the magic community is suffering.

And when I say poltically active, I mean potentially assassinating important figures:

As for Yennefer, I think she's working with the Nilfgaardians to find Ciri. She did lose her eyeballs in the name of saving the Northern Realms, so I wouldn't put her allying with Nilfgaard as something to be taken lightly. Additionally, she totally sent a kestral through a NIlfgaardian's head and crushed an entire platoon of Nilfgaardian cavalry in the opening segment of the game. Yeah, I don't think she's specifically allied with Nilfgaard. She's using them as she sees fit.

This is a complex issue and I doubt it's going to be as simple as picking a woman as picking a side for the war (although perhaps if you show too much indifference to the war, Triss might get annoyed with you -- I mean, she was infuriated at the witchers' indifference in the books. Bah! Best not speculate too much.) I trsut CDPR are going to drive us pleasantly insane in regard with politics, romance and gosh dang everything.

I am 100% certain Triss is going to be politcally active and working to shift everything 1) in favour of the Northern Realms and 2) to ease whatever discrimination the magic community is suffering.

And when I say poltically active, I mean potentially assassinating important figures:

And I completely agree with that. Lodge or not, Triss worked for the North for a long time, and she had even more unpleasant experiences with the Nilfs in the games. I don't see her just accepting Emhyr's rule.
And that pic... that's not Triss's glove-thing, is it? Fuck me, I'm really looking forward to Triss finally getting things done. :mean:

Triss however can be linked to the North or the Lodge, however I find it not that possible considering her current situation. She is a pariah just as much as Geralt at this point.

Well definatly wrong, Triss does not stand any longer for the lodge. Unless you die hard not believe her *smirk* .

Geralt and Yennefer will be on the same team, I just don't think that they will be working together. They have the same goal, but they will take different paths. I mean that's what I feel like is going to happen.

Depends on, i want to believe they are on the same "TEAM" since Yen and Geralt took the roles of father and mother for Ciri.

Triss and Geralt will also be on the same team. But Triss' goals are usually more complicated, since she is a member
of the Lodge

Yes for the first part, she will be definatly on Geralt side. Again a BIG NO to the second part she is no member
of the lodge. Unless she plain lied in Geralts face at the end of TW2. (no way if you ask me).

At this point... after i ve seen Yennefers "entry" ... i am even more confident that it is the best way not to "think" in those categories. And just go through the game and see how the story will play out. Even more since i ll the fuck stay out
of any political shit. TW2 was enough of those kings crap... little brats ... nothing but trouble... and Emhyr?
pfff even more if you ask me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom