Too old for gaming

+
Again, I think that's something that'll change for this generation. It'll stop being unusual for dad to be a computer game expert.

Just as long as that doesn't put the kids off playing - "I'm not playing video games, they're for old people. Like my dad".
:troll:

I meant they'd be embarrassed at how well they creamed me being video gaming gods and all, but yeah, I'm sure things will change quite a bit. Somehow my kids will know the wonders of NES/SNES.

Is it currently weird if you're 60 and you're an avid chess or checkers or backgammon player? NO! Video games are relatively new, those of us who are in our 30's and 20's and perhaps some in their 40's are the ones who grew up playing them, like the previous generations grew up playing board games.

When we hit our 60's, 70's and 80's, all our fellow gamers will be that same age as well. My forecast is video gaming will be more "normal", because by then everyone will do it. Just like it's perfectly natural for an 80 year old in our society to purchase a chess board, a movie or a book for him/herself.

Is it currently weird if you're 60 and you're an avid chess or checkers or backgammon player? NO! Video games are relatively new, those of us who are in our 30's and 20's and perhaps some in their 40's are the ones who grew up playing them, like the previous generations grew up playing board games.

When we hit our 60's, 70's and 80's, all our fellow gamers will be that same age as well. My forecast is video gaming will be more "normal", because by then everyone will do it. Just like it's perfectly natural for an 80 year old in our society to purchase a chess board, a movie or a book for him/herself.

I would have been around 19 or 20 the first time I played a game on a computer, and I'll be hitting 60 soon. I'd definitely be an "early adopter" as IT-related jobs were still fairly unusual in those days, but I think that "people in their 40s" is probably already common. They maybe didn't have computers at home when they were kids, but would have had access by the time they were students.

My school was already teaching programming in 1974.

I will never be too old for gaming. Even if am in a wheel chair paralyzed completely I'll find a way to play the games.

A fair point. As culture changes, and the -- comparatively -- new entertainment gains general acceptance, we may one day see a group of aged gentlemen playing RPGs in a group, where they would have played chess in the park, in years past. A colourful image to contemplate. . . .

i dont think i will stop gaming because of my age.......there where times when i stopped gaming but because of other things, sometimes it was only a short time but i also stopped gaming for years, but in the end i always come back and i love it like it is the first time

What age me stop reading? What age me stop watching films? What age me stop fucking? What age me stop enjoying life as I want?

In grave.

Too many ignore anything animated because "cartoons" are for children on Saturday. Too much pressure to stop eating cereal with silly mascots, or wearing shorts. I played a few games here and there, but it was my old and gray :p teachers that really introduced me to video games and tabletop rpgs.

I hope to live long enough to play all the PC and PS3 games that I own but have not enough time to play them because job, kids and everything else that's bundled with the real life.

I'm enjoying introducing my daughter to games. (She has her own basic stuff, but I am encouraging the use of basic game theory and more complex games).

She has been having a good time with Gratuitous Space Battles ~ designing "workable" ship designs and then co-operative abstract tactics to accomplish the win with minimal losses, or analyse the defeat and modify the deployment/orders/designs.

Great to see the enthusiasm and when bits of the puzzle "click" into place.

She has also tinkered a bit with some older adventure games (Monkey Island, Beneath A Steel Sky etc), and with Steelbeasts Pro PE ~ though she was more interested in driving around than learning the FCS and gunnery as it was "a bit hard".

A few years until she is "Witcher ready" yet though.

I will play games until I die, which probably will be soon, considering I don't walk much and bad diet and no physical exercising at all.

Last edited:
I don't think I will ever be too old for gaming as such. However there is longer and longer between games I get excited about and as such I game less and less. Witcher 3 is actually the old game that have succeed in getting me hyped for the past few years. Why it is I cannot say completely but I think it has something to do with that games nowadays have become too mainstream - said in other words they grasp over to many things to do in the game to broader their appeal to as many gamers as possible and subsequently they end up sucking at everything or doing it just ok instead of doing a few things awesome and cut the rest of the crap. And tbh then I just can't be bothered and I rather invest my time in something else. But that is not too old for gaming but more a more mature me that value my time and don't want to waste it on something I don't enjoy fully.

Top Bottom