[TW1] [mod] Full Combat Rebalance (FCR) version 1.6

+
It's not the first fight, just some lone barghest.
I just wanted to see whether Geralt can defend himself with two dexterity talents. And it appears to be very random - sometimes he dodges, but very often lets barghest bite him several times in a row. Then i tried attacking - and barghest constantly damaged me. Yet sometimes he cant even touch me.
And it is weird for me. Is it normal? Or is a bug? Maybe im doing something wrrong? I can drink blizzard, but if i need 2x dexterity and blizzard to survive just a barghest, wont i be completely screwed by stronger enemies? Or im supposed to Aard everything?

I spent the entire first Chapter just Aard'ing everything... Even when I got my Silver Sword in Chapter 2, I still grabbed my Steel out and any "low lvl" monsters like Ghouls, Drowners etc I would still just Aard > Insta-kill, better then losing 50% of your HP because you get unlucky and said monster gets a hit or two off on you and then you have to stand around waiting for Swallow/Food to get you back up.
I'll say this, prepare to get absolutely stomped by stuff like Wight's, Wyvern's & Fleder's. There's no more Aard insta-kill and if you try to run they'll just regen back to full. Fuck them. Seriously.

I don't think it's a bug, I think it's just the nature of Witcher 1's combat and then the FCR being extremely challenging. Even playing Vanilla I recall many situations where I just didn't understand how I did or did not get hit. You'd be in full combo flow and sometimes you'd just dodge everything and then sometimes you'd lose a chunk of HP without explanation.

It's not the first fight, just some lone barghest.
I just wanted to see whether Geralt can defend himself with two dexterity talents. And it appears to be very random - sometimes he dodges, but very often lets barghest bite him several times in a row. Then i tried attacking - and barghest constantly damaged me. Yet sometimes he cant even touch me.
And it is weird for me. Is it normal? Or is a bug? Maybe im doing something wrrong? I can drink blizzard, but if i need 2x dexterity and blizzard to survive just a barghest, wont i be completely screwed by stronger enemies? Or im supposed to Aard everything?

The first Witcher game is very much a "role playing" game in both its story mechanics and its combat. Unlike the second game, Geralt's abilities are largely controlled by the characters attributes rather than the players ability to "puppet" him. In Icewind Dale for example, my dwarf fighter may have a good armor class, but doesn’t mean that alone will save me.

Remeber, Geralt has a base stat of +50% dodge and parry, which means at full investment he can only ever hope to get +75% dodge and parry from stats alone. Enemies will still be able to hit him, especially more power enemies with bonuses to hit. I highly, highly recommend browsing through the manual since with FCR a sizable portion of the difficulty is test your knowledge of the games mechanics and rules.

Witch FCR you should rarely ever stay in one place and swing your sword. make sure to move around and attack from the sides and back. This give you to-hit bonues and means your enemies will also receive bonuses if that attack Geralt from the side and back. That means even with full dex investment and blizzard potions, a drowner will wreck you if he hits you in the back.

I would rely on Blizzard rather than dex in the early game and spend my points on Str and Stamina instead. Aard is good in the early game, but save your sign points for Yrden, which is incredible.

I'll say this, prepare to get absolutely stomped by stuff like Wight's, Wyvern's & Fleder's. There's no more Aard insta-kill and if you try to run they'll just regen back to full. Fuck them. Seriously.

Absolutly. A terrible idea is to throw all your points into Arrd, or even Igni really :p Yrden, however, is incredibly powerful, gives tactical edges in combat, and absolutely wrecks wraiths.

Last edited:
So... Basic dodge and parry is 50. If i get dexterity 5 and two bronze corresponding tallents (one +5% dodge and another +5% parry), drink blizzard for another +10% dodge and parry, i will have 90% dodge and parry, right? And fleder, having 115 accuracy, will have 25% chance to hit me?

Also, what if i install harder difficulties pack and wont install fewer monster option (monster ecosystem)? Will the game become insanely hard on easy difficulty of harder pack?

I get over 185% parry chance with a maxed out set of options, ignoring blizzard.

50% basic skill.
+25% basic dexterity lvl5
+5% bronze update to dexterity
+25% Quen lvl5
+25% Quen bronze update lvl5
+25% Group Style lvl5
+5% Group Style bronze updates or +30% for 5th attack in combo.

There are also swords that offer a +5% parry bonus, and the blizzard potion.

This is sufficient to make Geralt immune from attacks that can be parried from the front, and highly resistant to those from flanks and rear. It might not be even close to an optimal strategy ~ I tended to max out dexterity and group, and didn't use Quen at all.

Against those which must be dodged, he has lower values. He is still highly resistant from the front, but needs to take more care about hits from the sides and rear.

(Of course many of the parry/dodge skills also carry a damage reduction, which can sometimes greatly reduce damage taken (as can using the appropriate potions to minimise opponent special attacks (black blood vs vampires, and golden oriole or bindweed vs monsters with poison or acid effects))... so fully developed, you not only have *much* lower chances of being hit, but the effects of each hit are reduced significantly... giving you the time to kill things with *just* the sword, even if you forgo using offensive spells in favour of Quen/Heliotrope/Yrden (though the latter is highly effective when fully charged *as* an offensive spell, at lower levels it just buys you time and opportunity to strike or recover).

Hi,

are the other changes (listed in the section 3 of the manual) installed even if I don't install the new combat mechanics?

I didn't like the new combat very much because the fights are too quick, either because you get killed instantly or you kill the enemies instantly, and feel to be based too much on plain luck because everyone does so much damage that one hit can determine if you lose the fight or not. I don't mind unforgiving fights in games as long as the controls are responsive, but in TW1 they are not. Also being like it is it interferes with the story too much for my liking. For example at the end of chapter 1 the fight with The Beast is insanely hard as it is, so it is hard to survive it let alone keep Abigail alive through it.

Besides that, I like the other changes in the mod and would like to have them enabled. So does unselecting Full Combat Rebalance in the installer still install the other changes?

How to disable "automatic" cat-eye effect? I was pretty shocked by destroyed lighting in Kaer Morhen after starting FCR playthrough.
And I guess because of this cat eye fix, "Stuff that make Geralt's life easier" night eye item haven't spawn.
[h=2][/h]

Hi, I was loving this mod up until I got to the swamp, and found the regular Archspores impossible to take down. I'm level 15, with heavy investment in Stamina, Intelligence, Aard/Igni and the "strong" combat styles, and while I can get off a single shot with Igni for about 40 damage, I do 2-3 per hit with Silver and Argentina oil, with no idea how to make it go any higher so they die before I do. The barbs they throw also poison without fail, even with +50 resist purchased and downing a potion before hand. Anyone able to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Against the Archespores is almost always deadly if more than 1 appears . I believe diamond dust is more effective than the Argentia oil . That is if you insist on getting up close and personal . For myself it was always Igni from a distance with those things . That or try visiting a place of power which should give a boost to Igni .

I've been trying that, the problem is you can't really hang back and incinerate them because of the poison barbs they shoot, which seem impossible to defend against.

Edit: Never mind, it seems you can stun-lock them up-close if you time you attacks right, and grindstones really are better than oils in this case. Thank you for that piece of advise.

Last edited:
Use a torch. Mix it in with group sword (no need to do masses of damage, just put the fear of Geralt into them)... mix torch, group sword and igni (and the sword will block most of the barbs if you stand and wait (e.g. for the effect of a torch hit to complete, or for IGNI to recharge enough to use... you could also try bombs though I still haven't used them more than once....)

In 1.6a it was supposed to have taken out Pain from monsters but I keep getting effected by it from the Barghests and keep getting killed just standing there. They do it so often that I have given up playing a few times and sometimes can't even get an attack in on a single one because I get hit by it before I can attack. Does anyone know what file it is in so I can disable it?

EDIT: Nevermind it is Bleeding that is doing it and I found where to disable the effect in crteffects.lua by putting in PC Immune but I still get the bleeding effect on me.

EDIT2: It is finally gone and I can start actually playing instead of dieing to something I kill in 2 hits.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I hope this is the right place to post this question.
I'm starting a new playthrough of TW1 with FCR 1.6a ant the highest difficulty.
My question is about a talent from the Stamina tree, called Absorption. It says that it grants me the ability to draw from places of power twice a day, but I can see that even without that talent activated, I can absorb (do the Ritual of Magic until now, because I still don't have the other two rituals) as many times as I want. I can even absorb from the Place of Power while still having the last buff active.
My question is: Is the Absorption talent bugged in FCR, or does it work in another way that I'm not understanding?
Thanks.

You can only absorb once from each location (AFAIR), increased to twice with the skill. Not massively important as I never recall being unable to find an alternate, but in a pinch could be useful. I'd not take it early, but if it is Bronze you will have enough to take it by the end game in any case, only Gold and to a lesser extent Silver are in short supply.

Forgive answer from memory. Not a skill I ever felt imperative to obtain, or terribly useful from what I recall, though I was sparing on signs... using secondaries on potions and oils, plus food and water to boost all soft skills, and hitting stuff lots with swords for the most part.

Hi there.
Does anyone know how to restore the Cat Potion's original effect (now it does the same as the The Vries' Extract) and take the mod's default night vision out in FCR 1.6a?
I like many of the features of this mod, but want to keep the use of torches and potions to see in the dark.

I've been searching for an answer to the question of "partial modular uninstalls" - or more specifically, the ability to remove features from this mod, for some time.

I have seen a number of people ask the same question, after running into issues with the "Ecosystem" feature. You can't simply re-install the mod and uncheck it - the installer actually detects this and says it won't work!

I have done a side by side comparison, using installs set in temp directories - the folder that contains the files used to override the custom "Spawnsets" used by FCR is the one called "spn". However, if I remove this folder, it still doesn't seem to change anything. I've tried leaving the zone, reloading, waiting 24 hours, meditating, etc... I can't get back the desired spawns. Same problem others have had - certain monsters just -never- appear at all for us, or never respawn.

Is the mod writing to the save game files? Is this why these features are permanent? I know with regard to inventory changing mods, there's a "process" you undergo, and scripts you can run to remove said items.

I've even tried running Djinni to load and edit the .spn files manually, but Djinni won't run on my Windows 8 machine (due to another unsolved mystery with file pathing on Windows 8, no doubt... lol). So I'm kind of stumped.

I feel that the only thing I can do at this point is throw my hands up and just edit my save files to give myself the needed trophies and ingredients, as well as missed XP since it's much harder to accumulate with this mod. Otherwise I enjoy it... it's just this ONE FEATURE making me nuts.

Noooo! It's still gone! I found it in my old files but is an update incoming? I wanted to make sure before I started my next playthrough.

So what happened? I cannot find any download online anymore. MODdb, Nexus, all gone. I have a fresh Witcher 1 install just waiting for that mod.

Top Bottom