Unconfirmed by CDPR: Cyberpunk multiplayer will be monetized

+
"No viable alternative in the industry"

Divinity original sin 2 is multiplayer RPG that is P2P and works great. They dont have to pay to maintain servers and that means the servers will never go down and I can play it for as long as I need to.

Come on dont give them excuses.

i thought i remember playing counter strike 1.6 for a 10 years or so on community servers without any monetization. must have been just a figment of my imagination as there is no viable alternative. also i would have been disgusted with regular monetization but cdpr promised us "wise monetization" for us smart gamers which is totally different. stay breathtaking choombattas!

For me "fair" would be "completely optional, not affecting a competitive side of multiplayer in any way".

Also, bringing CS as an example just shows how comparing apples to oranges is still strong in every internet argument everywhere.

I'm not a fan of them in general but when the stuff you gain by forking out money is purely cosmetic it's not exactly hurting much.

It's what you *can't gain* if you don't fork money. Cosmetic mtx in a Cyberpunk 2077/2020 themed game makes even less sense than usual due to the importance *style* is given throughout the IP. Monetizing it would be.. less than ideal.

It's what you *can't gain* if you don't fork money. Cosmetics in a Cyberpunk 2077/2020 themed game makes even less sense than usual due to the importance *style* is given throughout the IP. Monetizing it would be.. less than ideal.
I don't see anything wrong with character customization features in a game that's pretty much exactly about that.

It's what you *can't gain* if you don't fork money. Cosmetic mtx in a Cyberpunk 2077/2020 themed game makes even less sense than usual due to the importance *style* is given throughout the IP. Monetizing it would be.. less than ideal.

Really? As long as the cosmetics won't give your character better stats, this should be OK.

It just rubs me the wrong way. Call me paranoid but I feel this sounds like just a stepping stone towards something worse in the future.
I wouldn't even be so hostile towards the idea if I didn't see how far others have taken it and how it has influenced game development (Rockstar and them not making any SP DLCs, focusing entirely on multiplayer post launch, grindy repetitive gameplay mechanics in Ubisoft titles all while they sell you boosters and ways to skip or lessen the grind).

Hope it's all just pointless panic born out of bad translations like pointed out before. Some clarification coming from CDPR would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see anything wrong with character customization features in a game that's pretty much exactly about that.
I think you misunderstood Sild's point.
He points out the issue with locking some cosmetics behind a paywall (IE you can't get them in any other way except paying money) especially since style is such a important aspect of Cyberpunk.

Man this whole marketing campaign has been really odd, multiple apartments turned into one
a supposed ~48 minutes demo turned into 15 to avoid spoilers (yet they have no problem showing it in their samurai tour)
plenty of poorly translated polish/german articles etc.. and now this

they said multiple times there won't be microtransactions in the game, they even laughed at the idea, so if they do implement them and gets justified with "well its a separate part of the game" does that mean i can play MP without owning the game?
because if i can't then its not really separate, saying it won't have MTXs means both SP and MP
secondly, i don't know anything about Gwent, but we all know microtransactions are simply slippery slope, first its just cosmetics and "its ok as long as it doesn't affect the gameplay" which eventually turns into something.. lets just say much worse, and as much as i like CDPR i don't have complete faith in them.. or any other studio for that matter

its better to wait for an official statement but im skeptic

I don't see at any moment CD Projekt saying 'hey, there will be microtransaction"

Monetization =/= microtransaction

Calm guys, we don't know anything about multi and you're ready to shoot on everything.

"As far as the monetization on the multiplayer for Cyberpunk is concerned we believe right now is defintively too early to share any details on that or give guidance as the project is in a relatively early stage and we keep experimenting that our first multiplayer game and we check different options and possibilities and its definitely not the time to point you to a certain specific direction on that."
"Yes, but you can expect that we won't change our general policy toward deals with gamers so expect wise monetization and always value for money."

Overall safest bets in terms of microtransactions would be:

1. No lootboxes with random content (many countries have declared this as "gambling" these days)
2. Mainly cosmetic items to buy, so people don't get angry about "pay to win".

The CDPR concept of buyable expansions is also a safe bet, although in this case the quality must remain appropriately high for people to not be disappointed and think of it as cash grabbing.

The site added a correction to the article:

Aktualizacja: Wiadomość została poprawiona, ponieważ nieprawidłowo przekazaliśmy informację na temat mikrotransakcji w trybie multiplayer gry Cyberpunk 2077. Twórcy dopiero rozważają monetyzację komponentu wieloosobowego w nadchodzącej grze, a nie jak napisaliśmy, zapowiadają ich wprowadzenie. Za błąd przepraszamy.

It means:

Update: The message has been corrected because we passed on the microtransactions information in CP2077 MP mode incorrectly. The creators are merely considering monetisation of the MP component, not announcing its implementation. We apologize for the mistake.

I will not play Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer if there is any monetisation or micro transactions.

CDPR has to stop the lies when they say there will be no micro transactions in Cyberpunk as that is what they are contemplating in doing. Stop criticizing other companies for micro transactions if that is your plans for Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer.

Guest 3847602

If by "monetisation" they mean a separate multiplayer mode that we ought to pay to access, multiplayer expansions, then fine, go for it.
If monetisation means mtx or live service crap, then I'll be skipping it entirely without any regret.

Monetization of multiplayer could simply mean even some multiplayer game like Gwent only set in Cyberpunk 2077 universe, sold as separate game or released as F2P with some buy on stuff like Gwent.

Considering on CDPR history I will give them doubt but lots of companies "just tested" these waters with monetization options and we ended up with Fallout 76 and NBA2K I do hope we do not get new Bethesda.

Well, we still don't know what the multiplayer Cyberpunk game is going to end up being like, plus they said they're going to release all the single player stuff—base game, DLCs, and expansion(s)—first, so I'm not worried about CP2077 per se.

However, if the Cyberpunk MP component/standalone game ends up catching my attention, I'd consider playing it if it doesn't nickel-and-dime me and if it's not a mainly competitive and/or hugely grindy experience, simple as that.

CDP probably knows that what makes them different from other big gaming companies—high-production, carefully made, non-predatory experiences that don't put their customers and stakeholders at odds—is what made them thrive, so I trust that they're not going to risk their reputation for some extra dough.

But, as with pretty much everything regarding this game, time will tell.

TBH CDPR would be stupid if they would pull monetization card after they earned SO much respect would be just pure greed plus BIG loss of respect from the gaming community and that would also influence on sales. But lots of players already bought Cyberpunk (myself included) but that would influence on their reputation BIG time.
I do think that they are not stupid to pull that card, I just want good single player Cyberpunk 2077 game, and not game where I need to buy "horse armor"

TBH CDPR would be stupid if they would pull monetization card
Monetization doesn't always mean microtransactions. Simply having a purchase price makes a game monetized.

(The multiplayer being a separate, paid DLC would sound very good to me. Easy to ignore (because I've no interest in it), and no microtransactions.)

Top Bottom