Underwater Controls

+
Underwater Controls

I'm curious as to whether anyone else is beyond frustrated with the controls once you dive underwater. Half the time when I begin diving Geralt for whatever reasons decides to flip around and swim half way back up. It's a particularly painful cycle when in shallow water that your required to dive in.

Beyond that it seems next to impossible or at least frustrating to actually target small objects for interaction while underwater. This is clearly evident in a mission on Skellige with Yen. Even having unlimited breathe doesn't ease the tedious act of grabbing something.

I'm curious if this is better or worse on PC. I play on Xbox. But seeing as for the most part a number one complaint of the PC is awkward controls. I'll assume worse.

Thinking about this issue the post could probably be thrown into the nitpick thread and I apologize for any inconvenience I'm causing a mod.

I'm mainly asking here because I'm looking for a tip or something I'm missing? And more then likely this would become buried under other nitpicky issues.

I play with PC controls and I'd have to agree with you there, interaction with objects and even aiming the Xbow underwater can be kind of frustrating. You need to be aligned just properly to grab the specific item, and when you're attempting to target an enemy that happens to swim close by it's near impossible to hit it.

Totaly agree, I play on PC with Xbox controller and two biggest problem I have with Witcher 3 is targeting object I want interact with and underwater control. So picking underwater object is really frustrating.

Agree, I almost drowned once because I needed to loot a chest but Geralt wouldn'd stop turning around it without letting me loot it.

Hm, I haven't had any problems navigatig underwater with K+M so far. However, I've yet to fight underwater, so that could be an issue.

Agree, I almost drowned once because I needed to loot a chest but Geralt wouldn'd stop turning around it without letting me loot it.

Yeah this is the problem Geralt seems to do whatever the hell he wants once underwater. Like do dumb flips that result in you going upwards when you'd like to go down. And that fact that like you said it's impossible to actually figure the direction you need to put the thumbstick (Xbox) to make him go the right way. Often times moving the stick ever so slightly left or right results in a full turn.

Looting chests is bad underwater but wait until you need to dive and hit small red objects the size of a fist. Even in the one quest with unlimited breathe it's beyond frustrating.

Edit: Also didn't mention underwater fighting. You can tell the AI is forgiving here because they knew it's damn hard to do anything correctly. Having downers circling quest objects etc makes every even worse.

Another matter entirely is how the hell a medieval crossbow is working underwater anyways lol. Modern firearms hardly go anywhere in water. Strength to draw back a crossbow on land is hard enough. Obviously it's a game and you need to be lenient in these situations. Just don't see why they would go through the trouble of adding fights here.

Last edited:
Strange to hear complains from the console crowd, untill now I took the terrible underwater controls simply as a toll to controller -> MKB port. And I also understand now, why none of the youtubers could use the MKB:)
If one thing in this game should be looked into, it would definitely be the underwater navigation. Pure pain.

As for the combat, not sure if trying to find any logic in the corssbow is relevant. It¨s purely a gameplay decision to give you something to defend yourself with. Would swinging swords be better? No.

Hm, I haven't had any problems navigatig underwater with K+M so far. However, I've yet to fight underwater, so that could be an issue.

Lol you just really need some crossbow when fighting underwater and most of the time you could instant kill them depending on monster and lvl.

Strange to hear complains from the console crowd, untill now I took the terrible underwater controls simply as a toll to controller -> MKB port. And I also understand now, why none of the youtubers could use the MKB:)
If one thing in this game should be looked into, it would definitely be the underwater navigation. Pure pain.

As for the combat, not sure if trying to find any logic in the corssbow is relevant. It¨s purely a gameplay decision to give you something to defend yourself with. Would swinging swords be better? No.

Your completely right about the relevance of the crossbow. I'm just stating the fact they added in underwater combat of which you'll only ever face two enemies. And they chose to allow a crossbow but no signs? Obviously Igni wouldn't work etc. But Aard and Axii? And obviously you'd need the damage from the crossbow still anyways. Just seems like something that could of been left out entirely and no one would miss.

Even for those who apparently have no problems with underwater navigation the combat is awkward and ultimately pointless.

Obviously one could argue a lore aspect to this as drowners are known to pull fisherman etc to a watery grave. But really all they do is swim in a circle and occasionally aggro you and take a few swipes (which hurts and is completely unavoidable) then they return to their circles.

If there was actually some sort of drowning animation things would make more sense I suppose.

Last edited:
ALMOST DROWNED... I got drowned several times to get a sunken ship looted. The camera is locking when you swimup shitty control shitty camera... going under water is pain in the "behind bottom" ... super frustrating and I will skip any part with underwater until the control is FIXED ...

Doesn't matter what button you press, it will bear no relation to Geralt's movement. Does the camera control his direction, or do the movement keys? The answer is both yes, no, maybe and 'it's just random'.

Using ps4 controller on pc, and experiencing all these same difficulties while underwater. Its almost like he's in the vacuum of space instead of underwater.

I have no idea why CDPR felt the need to revolutionize underwater controls.
Most games use the same underwater controls, latest I can think of being GTA 5, I see no problem with those, why did CPDR try to fix it when they were never broken to begin with?

Top Bottom