Were Nilfgaard toned down in the game/s compared to the books?

+
Were Nilfgaard toned down in the game/s compared to the books?

In the books I read that the Nilfgaard slaughter pretty much everyone in their path to conquest (soldiers and civillians alike). In the games Nilfgaardians have always been despised by Northern folk and they were made out to be bad guys but they never really seemed to do anything bad, they just seemed like another army with its own ways of life, perhaps a little too power hungry but that is the only real trait of theirs in the game that I see as bad. Even when you associate with them in the white orchid they don't really seem bad at all....much more "good" guys than the Redanians.

Was it perhaps bad translations in the books that made them sound a lot worse or are they just toned down a lot in the games?

Well, if you did the quest for Nilfgaardian army camp then you optionally can learn that Nilfgaardians exterminate all their POWs in the forest and dump them into the mass graves. Not very nice, eh?

In the books I read that the Nilfgaard slaughter pretty much everyone in their path to conquest (soldiers and civillians alike). In the games Nilfgaardians have always been despised by Northern folk and they were made out to be bad guys but they never really seemed to do anything bad, they just seemed like another army with its own ways of life, perhaps a little too power hungry but that is the only real trait of theirs in the game that I see as bad. Even when you associate with them in the white orchid they don't really seem bad at all....much more "good" guys than the Redanians.

Was it perhaps bad translations in the books that made them sound a lot worse or are they just toned down a lot in the games?

The Nilfgaard have been compared to being stand-ins for the Nazis invading Poland and their introduction by Dandelion represents the idea that they are waging a "new kind of war" which is different from the already horrible and cynical world of the Witcher. Sapkowski was born just a few years after the Nazi's were driven from Poland and would have grown up in the aftermath.

Here's their introduction as you may remember:

"This war is unique," the bard explained seriously. "The armies of Nilfgaard leave behind them nothing but desolation and corpses: entire fields of corpses. It's a war of total extermination. Nilfgaard against everything. The cruelty..."

"There is no war without cruelty," the witcher interrupted. "You're exaggerating, Dandelion. It's like burning the ferry: such is the practice... It is, I would say, a military tradition. Since the beginning of the world, armies have been killing, stealing, burning and attacking, unceasingly, and in that order. Since the beginning of the world, when a war breaks out, the farmers and their wives hide in the woods with the few possessions that they can carry and return home when the conflict is over..."

"Not this war, Geralt. After this war, no-one returns. There will be nothing to return to. Nilfgaard leaves behind it only rubble; its armies advance like lava from which no-one escapes. The roads are strewn, for miles, with gallows and pyres; the sky is cut with columns of smoke as long as the horizon. Since the beginning of the world, in fact, nothing of this sort has happened before. Since the world is our world... You must understand that the Nilfgaardians have descended from their mountains to destroy this world."

And

"To Cintra? But Cintra doesn't exist anymore!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Cintra doesn't exist anymore. It's only rubble and ruins. The Nilfgaardians..."

Everyone committed MASS SUICIDE to avoid falling into their hands.

A lot of fans, however, LOVE Nilfgaard and do their best to treat it differently.

Like the Galactic Empire or Zeon, they have a huge number of fanboys.

For whatever reason, the games decided to play it as "Both sides suck" rather than the books more surprising "No, these guys are really evil" take.

So I'd say, yeah,. they REALLY downplayed the Nilfgaardians cruelty and made them arguably more interesting.

Last edited:
In the books they were portrayed as yet another army...
That is what they do really. The north ones too. The pillaging and death they wreak during the second war was immense.

there was a cinematic that showed a guy that went to take a couple of branches and then he went back home, on the bridge back home he gets knocked over by some nilfgaardians on horseback, when he wakes up his village is on fire and 70% of the people are dead and a massive nilfgaardian army is passing by

In the books they were portrayed as yet another army...
That is what they do really. The north ones too. The pillaging and death they wreak during the second war was immense.

Nilfgaard practices industrialized cruelty, which is what separates it from the North. When Nilfgaard invades, it doesn't go into rape and pillage mode like so many others. Nilfgaard's armies are perfectly disciplined. What they do, instead, is practice ROMAN CRUELTY (the basis for the Nazis, only the Nazis were sadistic evil psychos in addition to the above) or Hittite in that they used state-based terror.

Nilfgaard will wipe your village off the map not because of a blood frenzy but because they want to repopulate it with Nilfgaardians.

They will kill 1 out of every 10th man so that EVERYONE KNOWS what happens to the enemy.

And it's all done with the stroke of a pen.

This is why they're so terrifying.

They're the New Model Army.

Nilfgaard practices industrialized cruelty, which is what separates it from the North. When Nilfgaard invades, it doesn't go into rape and pillage mode like so many others. Nilfgaard's armies are perfectly disciplined. What they do, instead, is practice ROMAN CRUELTY (the basis for the Nazis, only the Nazis were sadistic evil psychos in addition to the above) or Hittite in that they used state-based terror.

Nilfgaard will wipe your village off the map not because of a blood frenzy but because they want to repopulate it with Nilfgaardians.

They will kill 1 out of every 10th man so that EVERYONE KNOWS what happens to the enemy.

And it's all done with the stroke of a pen.

This is why they're so terrifying.

They're the New Model Army.

What I got from the books was that they were waging scorched earth tactics.

there was a cinematic that showed a guy that went to take a couple of branches and then he went back home, on the bridge back home he gets knocked over by some nilfgaardians on horseback, when he wakes up his village is on fire and 70% of the people are dead and a massive nilfgaardian army is passing by

But that one was in The Witcher 2 right? Nilfgardians were portrayed as evil back then. But now in The Witcher 3 they are just the civilized power-hungry guys.

I didn't liked how they were portrayed so diferently from The Witcher 2. I still hold a grudge and I haven't helped them at all in The Witcher 3... I actually wish we had more chances of slaughtering nilfgardians soldiers.

Not much wrong with that. :p

What if in this third war they have new directives?

I do wonder what the circumstances of eradicating the other White Orchard village were.

Did they resist?

Or did they just want to make an example?

Hmm. What I got from the books is that Nilfgaard on some occasions had integrated new settlements into rough areas not formerly utilised, and despite this being popular with the non-nilfgaardian peasants in the wider region the glorious armies of the north were raping, looting, pillaging and murdering... The Northern Armies were also responsible for much of the scorched earth tactics used against their own countrymen. (Hint, while a cavalry raid might loot and burn, it is counterproductive if you want to administer an occupied territory to practice on a wide scale.. while the destruction of everything not lootable by a retreating army is sound military strategy, but no less harsh on the peasants for being 'friendly').

Nilfgaardian justice is harsh, but it isn't arbritary. The punishments are given for offenses known to be punishable by proclamation... The North tends to be on the whole more opportunistic and less consistent. Frankly I'm glad I don't live in such a place and time... and having to deal with either 'government' and marauding army.

The difference between the two is slight, but overall I prefer Nilfgaard.

First, it depends on Nilfgaardian/Nordling point of view. Dandelion is from the North. And both North and South use strong propaganda.

As people say, Nilfgaardian cruelty is well organized. When it benefits them, they destroy everything and they are very effective in doing so. But I believe that massacre of Cintra could not have been so...bad. Because next year when Emhyr uses the false Ciri the army of Cintra joins Nilfgaardians.

And Nilfgaard treats you way better, if you surrender. That can make a difference.

Hmm. What I got from the books is that Nilfgaard on some occasions had integrated new settlements into rough areas not formerly utilised, and despite this being popular with the non-nilfgaardian peasants in the wider region the glorious armies of the north were raping, looting, pillaging and murdering... The Northern Armies were also responsible for much of the scorched earth tactics used against their own countrymen. (Hint, while a cavalry raid might loot and burn, it is counterproductive if you want to administer an occupied territory to practice on a wide scale.. while the destruction of everything not lootable by a retreating army is sound military strategy, but no less harsh on the peasants for being 'friendly').

Nilfgaardian justice is harsh, but it isn't arbritary. The punishments are given for offenses known to be punishable by proclamation... The North tends to be on the whole more opportunistic and less consistent. Frankly I'm glad I don't live in such a place and time... and having to deal with either 'government' and marauding army.

The difference between the two is slight, but overall I prefer Nilfgaard.

Honestly, I think that's overly gentle to Nilfgaard. They're fully capable and willing to kill the entire North and call it victory.

They'll also assimilate them if they can.

Nilfgaard is scary in the books and I think we diminish the games by portraying them as otherwise. They're not "just" the Evil Empire but they are a completely goal orientated one.

No atrocity is too horrible if it achieves their goal.

---------- Updated at 10:20 PM ----------

First, it depends on Nilfgaardian/Nordling point of view. Dandelion is from the North. And both North and South use strong propaganda.

As people say, Nilfgaardian cruelty is well organized. When it benefits them, they destroy everything and they are very effective in doing so. But I believe that massacre of Cintra could not have been so...bad. Because next year when Emhyr uses the false Ciri the army of Cintra joins Nilfgaardians.

And Nilfgaard treats you way better, if you surrender. That can make a difference.

Well, the depiction in the game is the depiction in the game versus the depiction in the books and never the twain shall meet. Also, countries can change even from person to person to commander to commander from time to time.

For example, the POWs (by nature, those who surrendered) were mentioned as being executed "en masse" by the Nilfgaardians.

Still, Dandelion is not trying to exaggerate to Geralt, he's genuinely terrified.

"The city wasn't properly defended. There was no headquarters. The defensive walls were empty. The rest of the knights and their families, the princes and the queen, barricaded themselves in the castle. The Nilfgaardians then took the castle after their sorcerers reduced the gate to cinders and burned down the walls. Only the tower, apparently protected by magic, resisted the spells of the Nilfgaardian sorcerers. Even so, the attackers penetrated inside four days later without making camp. The women had killed the children, the boys and girls, and fell upon their own swords or... What's is it, Geralt?"

"Continue, Dandelion."

"Or... like Calanthe... head first, from the battlement, the very top... It's said that she asked to be... but no-one would agree. So she climbed up to the crenelations and... jumped head first. They say they did horrible things to the corpse afterward. I don't want... What is it?"

I imagine the City is eradicated and any surviving villages incorporated into Nilfgaard. I do think Cintra would be the IDEAL place for a Ciri game, however.

Honestly, I think that's overly gentle to Nilfgaard. They're fully capable and willing to kill the entire North and call it victory.

They'll also assimilate them if they can.

Nilfgaard is scary in the books and I think we diminish the games by portraying them as otherwise. They're not "just" the Evil Empire but they are a completely goal orientated one.

No atrocity is too horrible if it achieves their goal.

---------- Updated at 10:20 PM ----------

Well, the depiction in the game is the depiction in the game versus the depiction in the books and never the twain shall meet. Also, countries can change even from person to person to commander to commander from time to time.

For example, the POWs (by nature, those who surrendered) were mentioned as being executed "en masse" by the Nilfgaardians.

Still, Dandelion is not trying to exaggerate to Geralt, he's genuinely terrified.

"The city wasn't properly defended. There was no headquarters. The defensive walls were empty. The rest of the knights and their families, the princes and the queen, barricaded themselves in the castle. The Nilfgaardians then took the castle after their sorcerers reduced the gate to cinders and burned down the walls. Only the tower, apparently protected by magic, resisted the spells of the Nilfgaardian sorcerers. Even so, the attackers penetrated inside four days later without making camp. The women had killed the children, the boys and girls, and fell upon their own swords or... What's is it, Geralt?"

"Continue, Dandelion."

"Or... like Calanthe... head first, from the battlement, the very top... It's said that she asked to be... but no-one would agree. So she climbed up to the crenelations and... jumped head first. They say they did horrible things to the corpse afterward. I don't want... What is it?"

I imagine the City is eradicated and any surviving villages incorporated into Nilfgaard. I do think Cintra would be the IDEAL place for a Ciri game, however.

The end of the books shows the North without the propaganda. They rape and murder the Nilfgaardian settlers, on top of that lets not forget the mass persucution and systematic murder of all the minority groups by the end. (Despite most nonhumans fighting for the north)

The end of the books shows the North without the propaganda. They rape and murder the Nilfgaardian settlers, on top of that lets not forget the mass persucution and systematic murder of all the minority groups by the end. (Despite most nonhumans fighting for the north)

I mentioned in the threads where I got accused of being harsh to the Nilfgaardians that believing they're horribly evil people doesn't mean that I think the North is nice.

You can believe there's no "good guy" in war even if you think the bad guy isn't any nicer for fighting someone also horrible.

Seems the Northern propaganda is effective. City is certainly not eradicated. Five years after the massacre, sorceresses of the Lodge discuss what to do with Cintra. They talk about the city of Cintra itself. Moreover the peace of Cintra was signed (surprisingly) in Cintra. You don't think all the kings assembled in some nearby village, do you? Finally the city of Cintra has a strategic position (i.e. for trade), it si obvious it was rebuilt.

Calanthe died a horrible death. It was obvious Nilfgaardians will show her no mercy, so she rather killed herself. It is one of the best examples of the Nilfgaardian cruelty.

Destroyed cities are often resettled.

But you may be right.

Total destruction is rare in war even if MASSIVE destruction cannot be understated.

Top Bottom