Who is Gaunter 'O Dimm, and is he even more Powerful than Ciri? A thread to discuss this! SPOILER ALERT!

+
Translation of names. Oh the cringe.

"Prophet Majoran" = "Prophet Lebioda"
In Velen they actually worship the crones.
In Skellige they worship Freya, who's virgin, mother and crone (three faced godess)
Worshippers of Fire: Well, the Cult of the Eternal Fire. And the weirdos at Devil's Leap.

The game's societies also have ideas about afterlife:

- Skelligers think that they'll sit in some feast hall in the afterlife. They will also join their dead king there.
- The reason why wraiths exist is that they have unfinished business in this world and thus cannot go to "the afterlife".

If I keep refering to Iblis, "Shaytan", "Shaitan", "Devil", I do not mean "our devil". I mean a malevolent, very powerful entity of the Jinn species.
Who's name can oddly be abbreviated as "G.O.D.", by the way.

Food for thought.
Ah, you're right of course - got Velen and Skellige mixed up *argh* :)
Good point about the Skelligers resp. the wraiths - when Geralt goes to fight the first noonwraith and, later, the first nightwraith, he always states that these wraiths only exist because they have been wronged in life and/or brutally murdered. Once he defeats them, they can move on so there is some kind of afterlife.

Interesting point also about Iblis, Shaytan etc. because it expresses very well that every culture has a concept of evil that just has different names and origins.

That's true! I know!

But what i meant is, if they also take our Religious ideas into the Witcher with that Heaven or Hell thing and everything!
(Since i am someone who hates Religion, i never really care about that tbh, especially in games)
They say often the word Devil, when Gaunter is nearby but, it doesn't seem like Gaunter O'dimm is connected to any Religion in the Witcher!

Well you don't need a specific religion for a "heaven and hell". Valhalla is a place that could be classified as heaven. And the "under wold" can easily be hell. I'm about 98% sure I read that there was an "under world". So you don't need to tie it to a specific religion but instead simply a place souls go to in the afterlife. And we know there is an afterlife and we know there are souls. So for me it's not hard to make the next small leap.

Now is he the devil or ultimate ruler of the under world? Who knows? Maybe he's second in command or just a higher up that does the "collection of souls" job. But what is clear is he's not from the same world as Geralt and he has powers beyond anything or anyone shown before.

Well you don't need a specific religion for a "heaven and hell". Valhalla is a place that could be classified as heaven. And the "under wold" can easily be hell. I'm about 98% sure I read that there was an "under world". So you don't need to tie it to a specific religion but instead simply a place souls go to in the afterlife. And we know there is an afterlife and we know there are souls. So for me it's not hard to make the next small leap.

Now is he the devil or ultimate ruler of the under world? Who knows? Maybe he's second in command or just a higher up that does the "collection of souls" job. But what is clear is he's not from the same world as Geralt and he has powers beyond anything or anyone shown before.

I agree with you there now!

And for Gaunter! I don't think he follows some "Job" or "Command". He seems more like someone who does everything for his own plan or "joy".
His Abilities show clearly that he isn't from the same World as Geralt! Or the same Dimension or whatever! Because for the World of the Witcher, Ciri always appeared to be the most powerful person in that Witcher universe! And Gaunter O'Dimm seems to know about Ciri's abilities very well!

I mean sure, we have to keep in mind that he is an invention of CDPR. A Fanfiction character! But that's what is interesting about him, he could appear again in following witcher titles! Because there is so much story you could tell with him! Or even create as i already mentioned, a complete new antagonist maybe!

We don't know.

I do know this for sure. He was a GREAT character. Maybe even the best in the entire Witcher series. After HOS I had to restart the original game just to relish in his initial encounter at the inn.

I do know this for sure. He was a GREAT character. Maybe even the best in the entire Witcher series. After HOS I had to restart the original game just to relish in his initial encounter at the inn.

Naah, not the best! But surely the most mysterious and frightening character!

Naah, not the best

Say it again.....

:D

I did Last Wish earlier and listened to the voice of that jinn part. Sounded like the voice actor who did Eredin (and Yontek), not like the voice of Gaunter. I might be mistaken, of course, and with some voice morph software treatment, probably anyone can sound like that. And the sample size was small, with only like 3 lines for the jinn, of which 2 were "Aaaaargh!"-like statements.

But I'll keep clinging to my pet theory anyway, about those jinn parts from the two Last Wish incidents being related to this big uber-jinn. ;)

O' Dimm can not be compared directly to any known entity in our world. His a fictional character that appears to be an amalgamation of a number of different types of known beings in our world. The closest thing we could compare him to is a jinn but far more powerful. In Islamic culture the jinn do have there own world but are able to cross over at will and their Chieften is Iblis (Satan). They also operate independently. There are good and bad jinn

O' Dimm can not be compared directly to any known entity in our world. His a fictional character that appears to be an amalgamation of a number of different types of known beings in our world. The closest thing we could compare him to is a jinn but far more powerful. In Islamic culture the jinn do have there own world but are able to cross over at will and their Chieften is Iblis (Satan). They also operate independently. There are good and bad jinn

Hm...maybe!
We can only make theories for now.

He is. I thought he was scarier than the Wild Hunt even though Eredin and his elves looked scarier due to their armour. But that was just posing. Gaunter on the other hand... he looks so harmless and talks in a soft voice so you can easily believe that he can't be that bad a guy while in fact he's worse than the Hunt.
Yeah, it's even a lot of what makes him scarier than the Hunt : the Hunt tries to be scary, which shows it's posturing and they somehow feel the need to scare people. Gaunter either try to hide just how scary he is, or just doesn't care, which shows just how confident he (rightly) is in his own power.
One has the need to show off, the other is so much more powerful and frightening he doesn't need to do that.

Yeah, it's even a lot of what makes him scarier than the Hunt : the Hunt tries to be scary, which shows it's posturing and they somehow feel the need to scare people. Gaunter either try to hide just how scary he is, or just doesn't care, which shows just how confident he (rightly) is in his own power.
One has the need to show off, the other is so much more powerful and frightening he doesn't need to do that.

Right!

As H.P. Lovecraft once said:" The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

Just finished HoS yesterday, and while yes, Gaunter is more powerful than Ciri; she hasn't even gained full control of her powers.

If she could gain full control of her powers, she'd practically be as powerful as a deity. Gaunter O'Dimm is a deity, or was implied as such..

Just wait until the Lodge and Avallac'h properly train her to unlock her full potential. Watch out Gaunter!

The way I took it is Gaunter is a powerful demon like a djinn, but he's no deity, and certainly isn't 'the' devil, as that concept doesn't exist in the Witcherverse. Never seen it described anywhere in the book or the games.

Last edited:
I don't think so. We don't know the full powers of O'Dimm yet, but we know that Ciri can't stop the time for example....or take your soul! o_O

We don't know what Ciri can do at all. She hasn't even scratched the surface on what abilities the elder blood provides. O'Dimm can't control Ciri's power either, so it's evidently very strong.

dasft

Let's consider the mysticism about demons in different religions, at least on the current state. Only a god is able to destroy a demon, i think, so Gaunter is basically infinite, as evil in form and presence, we are able to ban him for a while, escaping his tricks.

Ciri is very powerfull, but not immortal or even a manifestation of pure will, for good or bad, is a mortal creature with superb skills, but she is vulnerable to wounds, like Geralt and the common people.

So, in my opinion, Gaunter is the closest to a lesser god, compared with the most skilled of the mortals.

It's not Ciri vs O'Dimm. It's Elder blood vs O'Dimm. And the Elder Blood is more powerful. Atleast in my opinion.

Top Bottom