Who is Gaunter 'O Dimm, and is he even more Powerful than Ciri? A thread to discuss this! SPOILER ALERT!

+
Who is Gaunter 'O Dimm, and is he even more Powerful than Ciri? A thread to discuss this! SPOILER ALERT!

We basically know nothing about him, we can just say that he is a very powerful Demon (since there doesn't exit a "Devil" in the Witcher universe). Well...a very, very powerful one as he can Stop the Time as he want, see the future, even fulfill wishes and everything else. And you...can't kill him physically! He also appears in Blood and Wine again as a Begger so, we have to be sure that Geralt surely did no damage to him in HoS, which is playing before B&W in the Timeline!

BUT! The main interesting thing is: He is able to teleport himself to different locations too and also even to different Worlds or should i say Dimensions....like Ciri!

But isn't Ciri supposed to be the "only" lady of time and Space?

The Witcher Wikia also tells us:

• By stopping time at will, summoning a storm, and stealing souls without showing any sign of effort or focus to do so, one can assume he is the most powerful character ever to appear in The Witcher series, surpassing even Ciri's Elder Blood - though he said that Ciri was "out of his range" and he could not tell Geralt where she is.

Wait what?

And also how old is he? He could be from a time even older than the elder blood!

A truly mysterious Character. I could even imagine that he could become the Main Antagonist in a future Witcher game! He is just too mysterious and powerful to be gone!

Well, what do you guys think? Share your though's and Opinions!

both are very powerful in their own ways, o dimm couldn't tell where ciri was, for there are main quests to do and it would be a spoiler, besides if she is in anoher dimension, he acn't see her or can't know where she is, that doesn't mean she is more powerful than him
and, being older than the elder blood or time itself or stealing souls dones't men that he is moer powerful than ciri, ciri can scream and kill o dimm, she conrtols time and space at the same time and if she could control her powers with skill she ca kill him, i mean she stopped the white frost, o dimm can't stop the white frost, he woul died he is not that powerful

both are very powerful in their own ways, o dimm couldn't tell where ciri was, for there are main quests to do and it would be a spoiler, besides if she is in anoher dimension, he acn't see her or can't know where she is, that doesn't mean she is more powerful than him
and, being older than the elder blood or time itself or stealing souls dones't men that he is moer powerful than ciri, ciri can scream and kill o dimm, she conrtols time and space at the same time and if she could control her powers with skill she ca kill him, i mean she stopped the white frost, o dimm can't stop the white frost, he woul died he is not that powerful

Well, but O dimm also controls Time and Space! That is a fact. He has basically the same Powers as Ciri, no, he has even more Powers because Ciri can't stop the Time, can't influence the Weather, can't curse people with Spells and also can't take souls from other People and so on. You can also kill Ciri physically! But not him. So her scream wouldn't really affect him, cuz i think her scream only damage real physical persons!

And about the White Frost....well it was Ciri who stopped it sure. But we don't if Gaunter O'dimm could do it or not, because he is no part of the prophecy.
I guess it was also not his intend to stop it, it seems like he already knew about Ciri's Destiny in the first place.

But i am sure the White Frost couldn't even kill him because like i said: He isn't a real physical person!

And beeing older than the elder blood can surely bring him more knowledge about thing's that even the oldest elves didn't know!

So what did the writers at CD Project had in their Minds creating that Character, as he only appears for the first time in The Witcher 3!

For organisational purposes, @saltyB , for clarification, is this thread intended merely for discussion, or would you prefer it remain in Suggestions?

He also appears in Blood and Wine again as a Begger so, we have to be sure that Geralt surely did no damage to him in HoS, which is playing before B&W in the Timeline!
You mean him in BaW as he cursed Marlene, right?

That was a long time ago. Decades if not even one century in the past. (IIRC Geralt to B.B. about Marlene: "she hasn't eaten in about a century.")

So, that proves nothing such as: "Geralt did not damage to him in HoS".

It also does not prove that he can travel through time. Why should it? He just did it all that time back then. No indication at all that he went on some mysterious time travel just to curse Marlene back then.

Timeline:

- decades or a century ago: G.o.D. curses Marlene
- a few years before BaW: Geralt helps Olgierd against G.o.D., Gaunter shrieks and shrivels up and disappears for now.
- BaW current time: Geralt lifts the curse from Marlene

Or did you find him posing as a beggar in the streets of BaW? If so: Where?

Last edited:
You mean him in BaW as he cursed Marlene, right?

That was a long time ago. Decades if not even one century in the past. (IIRC Geralt to B.B. about Marlene: "she hasn't eaten in about a century.")

So, that proves nothing such as: "Geralt did not damage to him in HoS".

It also does not prove that he can travel through time. Why should it? He just did it all that time back then. No indication at all that he went on some mysterious time travel just to curse Marlene back then.

Timeline:

- decades or a century ago: G.o.D. curses Marlene
- a few years before BaW: Geralt helps Olgierd against G.o.D., Gaunter shrieks and shrivels up and disappears for now.
- BaW current time: Geralt lifts the curse from Marlene

Or did you find him posing as a beggar in the streets of BaW? If so: Where?

Ah, okay then i wasn't paying attention really with that Quest of Marlene! Good Point there of course!

But let us come back to the the main question.

Well maybe no Time travel but...he can do everything else what i mentioned easily, especially control the time. And what i was trying to say with "Geralt did no damage to him in HoS" is that he maybe "Banned" him somehow but he didn't killed him.

And what was the language he was speaking when he disappeard?

One thing that's also interesting about him is, that not even Geralt had a clue what or who he is exactly. Normally, Geralt is capable of identify every Monster in the Witcher World! But not him?

And i am still asking myself, why he told Geralt at the beginning were he could continue the search for Ciri. And sure again, he didn't know where Ciri was in HoS if you ask him about that! But it is clear that he at least knew about her Abilities and her Fate or Future.
He even tells geralt that he should not worry about finding her...because Geralt will find her!

Questions over Questions

If you opt for defeating Gaunter, he'll scream some words when being pulled away. Here http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ompletion-of-main-quest-line-(SPOILERS)/page2 people have come up with translations for those sentences. It seems quite clear to me that Geralt only manages to banish Gaunter. For how long, we don't know but he'll be back eventually - just like a Terminator. They always come back :)

As for why he helped Geralt in the beginning: I think he had a plan even back then. Maybe he already knew that he wanted to use Geralt to fulfill Olgierd's contract so he drew up a quid pro quo-situation by helping Geralt in the beginning. Then, he helped him again, stating that this time Geralt owed him a favour. I think he might have had that plan in his head right from the beginning. It just makes sense.

Another possible explanation as to why he helps Geralt: He's interested in Ciri as well and wants to see what she can do but has no way to find/reach her. So he needs Geralt to do this for him. The only problem with this explanation: the game doesn't support it. There are no clues that O'Dim has any interest in finding Ciri. He knows about her, he knows about her powers but he doesn't seem very keen on actually meeting her. Probably because she's strong enough to really kill him.

And what was the language he was speaking when he disappeard?
According to the witcher wiki, he was speaking at least partially in Georgian. http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Gaunter_O'Dimm
"You are primitive. You think you've defeated me but you are wrong. I can't be killed, I will be back." (Translated from O'Dimm's speech)
That wiki page might help you answer some of your questions. ;)

I see him in my head canon as:

- definitely a jinn.
For the record, Eblis is also technically a jinn. Jinns aren't just cute genies in bottles or funny bright clouds doing electrical damage on ships on mountaintops; jinns can be the head honcho devils, too.

- Probably related to the jinn of the quest The Last Wish. Maybe also related to the jinn from the short story The Last Wish.
There's something in the short story about jinns putting parts of themselves in these bottles. Both during short story and the quest, a jinn (or a jinn part) gains freedom in the end.
If he can predict future events, and is connected to the Last Wish quest jinn, then Gaunter had most definitely an interest in making things happen and in bringing Geralt and Yen back together in White Orchard, so that they could later on free his part from the Last Wish quest.

If you opt for defeating Gaunter, he'll scream some words when being pulled away. Here http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ompletion-of-main-quest-line-(SPOILERS)/page2 people have come up with translations for those sentences. It seems quite clear to me that Geralt only manages to banish Gaunter. For how long, we don't know but he'll be back eventually - just like a Terminator. They always come back :)

As for why he helped Geralt in the beginning: I think he had a plan even back then. Maybe he already knew that he wanted to use Geralt to fulfill Olgierd's contract so he drew up a quid pro quo-situation by helping Geralt in the beginning. Then, he helped him again, stating that this time Geralt owed him a favour. I think he might have had that plan in his head right from the beginning. It just makes sense.

Another possible explanation as to why he helps Geralt: He's interested in Ciri as well and wants to see what she can do but has no way to find/reach her. So he needs Geralt to do this for him. The only problem with this explanation: the game doesn't support it. There are no clues that O'Dim has any interest in finding Ciri. He knows about her, he knows about her powers but he doesn't seem very keen on actually meeting her. Probably because she's strong enough to really kill him.

(Und ich sehe du kommst aus Österreich, da sind wir dann schon zwei haha)

Thank's a lot for that Thread. Also very interesting! :)

And exactly, that's another problem, as the game never mentioned Gaunter o'dimm really in the main quest. Except for the beginning. And we all didn't know who he really was at the beginning of the game. And then...he disappeard!

But your two explanations are very good. But the second one makes more sense to me...idk why, but i have the feeling that he was interesting in Ciri from the Beginning even if the game doesn't make it that clear.

And maybe she is strong enough, who knows, we do not really which powers she can finally use now exactly because she learns to control them only at the Ending of The Witcher 3.
But as i mentioned already, you can kill Ciri physically, with a Sword or something like that. But not Gaunter o dimm, and again, Gaunter o dimm can use abilities same as powerful as Ciri's elder blood Abilities! Or even more powerful, who knows!

---------- Updated at 11:57 AM ----------

According to the witcher wiki, he was speaking at least partially in Georgian. http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Gaunter_O'Dimm

That wiki page might help you answer some of your questions. ;)

I see him in my head canon as:

- definitely a jinn.
For the record, Eblis is also technically a jinn. Jinns aren't just cute genies in bottles or funny bright clouds doing electrical damage on ships on mountaintops; jinns can be the head honcho devils, too.

- Probably related to the jinn of the quest The Last Wish. Maybe also related to the jinn from the short story The Last Wish.
There's something in the short story about jinns putting parts of themselves in these bottles. Both during short story and the quest, a jinn (or a jinn part) gains freedom in the end.
If he can predict future events, and is connected to the Last Wish quest jinn, then Gaunter had most definitely an interest in making things happen and in bringing Geralt and Yen back together in White Orchard, so that they could later on free his part from the Last Wish quest.

Well that's an interesting explanation! But i still can't really agree with that, cuz a Djinn is still a elemental genie of Air. Or basically forces of the nature. But genie's still can't control time, as Gaunter o dimm does. Also they aren't able to take Souls or transform themselves into Human beings or something like that, as far as i know.

And well, we are still in the Witcher world and there are no devil's in that world as far as we know.

A daemon who enables people with unrealistic or evil wishes, then ultimately punishes them by confronting them with the flaws inherent to those wishes.

While the game presents him as 'evil incarnate' it would be difficult to argue that he is substantially more evil than the people he enables. He may, for instance, provide Olgierd with immortality and wealth, but it is Olgierd who uses his new abilities to kill, torture and exploit others.

I don't think O'Dimm is likely to become the main antagonist in a future Witcher game. Because O'Dimm's powers are virtually endless the only way to make him interesting is by imposing limitations on what he can achieve, as also happens in Hearts of Stone. Omnipotence makes for very boring narratives - Superman, for instance, needs his Kryptonite to remain interesting. There would always have to be some sort of barrier between O'Dimm and his ultimate objectives.

A daemon who enables people with unrealistic or evil wishes, then ultimately punishes them by confronting them with the flaws inherent to those wishes.

While the game presents him as 'evil incarnate' it would be difficult to argue that he is substantially more evil than the people he enables. He may, for instance, provide Olgierd with immortality and wealth, but it is Olgierd who uses his new abilities to kill, torture and exploit others.
Good point! As much as I disliked O'Dim, I never warmed up to Olgierd either. The only reason I helped him was that I liked O'Dim even less and didn't want him to win. But I never had the feeling that Olgierd was a nice person. I think he had the evil he did later in him long before O'Dim granted his wishes and that it was partially his own fault that his heart turned to stone resp. that he lost everything, especially Iris. People who are granted wishes in fairytales tend to mess up what they've been given - that and usually they are being confronted with an evil being that twists their wishes around and brings out all their badness. I think that happened to Olgierd as well. O'Dim didn't make him bad. He already was. It just didn't show before he was granted his wish. After that, his badness leaked through more and more until his heart turned to stone and he couldn't feel anything.
I don't think O'Dimm is likely to become the main antagonist in a future Witcher game. Because O'Dimm's powers are virtually endless the only way to make him interesting is by imposing limitations on what he can achieve, as also happens in Hearts of Stone. Omnipotence makes for very boring narratives - Superman, for instance, needs his Kryptonite to remain interesting. There would always have to be some sort of barrier between O'Dimm and his ultimate objectives.
I agree. He was a great villain, a great opponent and a lot more impressive than the Wild Hunt and their king (sorry, Eredin...). But he's so overpowered that beating him would require, as you say, some Kryptonite. But you cannot let gamers find that Kryptonite in the early stages of the game because if they do, the game gets boring. So either way, a game featuring Gaunter as the main antagonist would be rather boring because either he's overpowererd and can only be beaten back a couple of times until you finish him off because you finally find his Kryptonite and/or are powerful enough yourself. Or you find his weakness early in the game and kill him. Nah. Doesn't work. He'd be as boring as Superman, just darker.

Well, as we still don't know if probably Ciri could stop him, you could make a game around that, maybe. But as you said, he would need to have a weakness or he can only by stopped by the elder blood and so on!

It would be very interesting! CDPR could make a good Story about him, and to be honest, i am sure that his few appearances in the Witcher 3 + DLC's weren't his last...

He also appears in Blood and Wine again as a Begger so, we have to be sure that Geralt surely did no damage to him in HoS, which is playing before B&W in the Timeline!
That's absurd. The person cursed in B&W has been cursed for decades, while HoS happens barely a few years before B&W at most. He doesn't appear "again", he just appeared there long ago.

As for "why ?"... I think such questions depends on the true nature of O'dimm, which means we have no real answer. My guess, though, would be "because he finds it fun and/or it fits in his plans". Gaunter feels to me as a supremely powerful beings who does what he does because he gets his kicks out of it, but somehow follows a very strict list of guidelines (though the question is open if he follows them due to self-imposed restrictions, due to the Rules of the Universes or just because it's his nature).

Last edited:
(tongue in cheek)

Killing him would require a crossbow bolt in his direction as he cheekily "descended from the moon" for the final meeting. He was floating in the air there, and below him was water. If a normally non-swimming creature in TW3 hits water, it dies immediately. Aard could also do the trick. I've done this a couple of times to various draconids in this playthrough. No loot, no XP (AFAIK), but the monster is immediately dead. ;)

-----------------------------------------

Well. As I said, "Eblis is technically a jinn, too". Or "Iblis", "Shaytan", "Shaitan", "Devil", however he might be normally spelled.
(I called him "Eblis" because that's how he's called in The Secret World where I've met him many a times in one of the dungeons... ;) )

In my opinion, it is not too far-fetched that the head honcho "devil" can create little time bubbles for himself and for Geralt, as in that scene in the Alchemist Inn. He might also show an interest in collecting souls.

And here's a funny little google hit from a search about "devil mirrors":
Any mirrors in a room where someone has recently died, must be covered so that the dead person's soul does not get trapped behind the glass. Superstition has it that the Devil invented mirrors for this very purpose.

Or "devil spoon":
"He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon".

(tongue in cheek)

Killing him would require a crossbow bolt in his direction as he cheekily "descended from the moon" for the final meeting. He was floating in the air there, and below him was water. If a normally non-swimming creature in TW3 hits water, it dies immediately. Aard could also do the trick. I've done this a couple of times to various draconids in this playthrough. No loot, no XP (AFAIK), but the monster is immediately dead. ;)

LOL - I've never tried that. Will give it a go next time I'm in Skellige.

Lets just say it this way, he would freeze Ciri and would put a spoon in her eye :D
Joking aside, compared to the "power" O'Dimm is on another level.
He can do whatever he wants.

Btw, for me it's the devil. I never heard there is no devil in the witcher universe.

Lets just say it this way, he would freeze Ciri and would put a spoon in her eye :D
Joking aside, compared to the "power" O'Dimm is on another level.
He can do whatever he wants.

Btw, for me it's the devil. I never heard there is no devil in the witcher universe.

Excalty!

Well but you have also never heard about an existing Devil in the Witcher universe i guess right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom