Why doesn't Geralt have nocturnal vision in this game?

+
Why doesn't Geralt have nocturnal vision in this game?

CD Projekt RED gave Geralt his cat eyes but what about his night vision? In the books it is often mentioned about Geralt's ability to see in the dark. I was wondering if someone made a mod that allows you to have permanent cat eye potion effect. Since this ability only triggers in the dark it would work perfectly for Geralt. I always thought that was the one thing CD Projekt RED did not get right.

It would make several parts of the game to easy - so now, you have to make a "cat" potion to see in the dark. If Geralt would have night vision right from the start, there would be no reason to make this potion, also it would make no sense to have some differently lighted areas in the game. Most subterenean areas are too dark to see something with out cat, but some are still bright enough, even at night. So you have to consider, do I need a cat or not? That makes some interesting decissions durinjg the game. I.e. I had several situatuation, where I thought such palces were bright enough to go in with out this potion, only to get a real beating when I reached the real dark areas. I prefer it the way it was done.

Actually, it did bother me too, and i think one of the other witchers does mention it sometime at the beginning of the game, that witchers can see in the dark, so i made a toggle for the "cat" ability.I didn't know if anyone wanted such a thing, so i guess i'll post it in the modding section in a few hours, amongst other items.

Perhaps Geralt's accentuated senses are shown not through making him better than everyone in the game, but through everybody being slower and more human than him. For example, the potion Blizzard is meant to make Geralt move faster, and this is shown through slowing down time in the game. Quite smart, if you ask me.

JSlash said:
Actually, it did bother me too, and i think one of the other witchers does mention it sometime at the beginning of the game, that witchers can see in the dark, so i made a toggle for the "cat" ability.I didn't know if anyone wanted such a thing, so i guess i'll post it in the modding section in a few hours, amongst other items.
Oh yeah, I would totally want such a thing! A question though, where is the modding section? I didn't know there is one here.

captmorgan72 said:
CD Projekt RED gave Geralt his cat eyes but what about his night vision? In the books it is often mentioned about Geralt's ability to see in the dark.
yeah, but it means his sight is more efficient in the use of light. moonlight like daylight, candle light (actually it is quite well depicted by graphics itself) etc... to see in complete darkness (like in catacombs) he needs to use potions (f.e dueling sthriga)

J_Slash's mod to add cat vision and a couple other "Make Geralt's Life Easier" tweaks can be found here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21855.msg463035#msg463035. also, it's as a toggle, so if you want to leave him as "can't see without a potion if its Pitch Dark", you still can "need" cat potion in those special circumstances. Haven't tried it yet, only just found it, but it looks like a nice tweak to me!

Have to agree... J_Slash's mod is very good indeed, thanks... :)I think i am on or about my 15th run through on the witcher and by now i aim for a particular object, mainly money and XP and to level up as much as possible, so this mod allows me to cut some corners and save a bit of time.At least it still keeps me interested in playing this so addictive game...Great mod.

Dunno, I do think Geralt has night vision... I mean come on, you can walk in the night without a torch, normal humans can't do this so easily! So he has to use Cat potion in dark crypts with almost no light source, it doesn't seem too surprising.

captmorgan72 said:
In the books it is often mentioned about Geralt's ability to see in the dark.
The books also said Geralt died.So I'm going with we're not playing the "real" Geralt.

Witchers might have better eye sight in the dark than normal people but they still have to drink elixirs to effectively augment this ability.In Blood of Elves, starting @ bottom of page 249 (UK version) is Geralt's encounter with Rience in Oxenfurt. He drinks a potion here which would seem to be a mixture of cat and something to sharpen his hearing, here are some excerpts:Geralt flinched a little and swallowed hard. The initial shock of drinking the elixir had passed and the second stage was beginning to take effect, as indicated by a faint but unpleasant dizziness which accompanied the adaptation of his sight to darkness.The adaptation progressed quickly. The deep darkness of the night paled; everything around him started to take on shades of grey, shade which were at first hazy and unclear then increasingly contrasting, distinct and sharp.Here is something Ciri says during her training at Kaer Morhen earlier in the book:"A witcher doesn't use light or fire because it makes it harder to see. Every light creates a shadow and shadows make it harder to get your bearings. One must always fight in darkness, by moon or starlight"This could lead to confusion, but i don't believe it's strictly said anywhere (at least in the first two english books) that Witchers have the elixir-granted ability natively.
Tlazolteotl said:
So I'm going with we're not playing the "real" Geralt.
Of course we are!

This could lead to confusion, but i don't believe it's strictly said anywhere (at least in the first two english books) that Witchers have the elixir-granted ability natively.
Eskel says that they "see in the night" thanks to the mutations. So, it's night vision, like cats, but not something that enables them to see in places where there is nearly no light source. That's why they need the elixir I think.

Sannom said:
This could lead to confusion, but i don't believe it's strictly said anywhere (at least in the first two english books) that Witchers have the elixir-granted ability natively.
Eskel says that they "see in the night" thanks to the mutations. So, it's night vision, like cats, but not something that enables them to see in places where there is nearly no light source. That's why they need the elixir I think.
You might be right, i can't find the part where he says that but it rings a bell.It's probably just like their other attributes ie strength, which is greater than normal due to mutation but can be increased even further with potions :)

Didn't need cat after a few playthroughs, only dungeons that were really dark was in Act5 and you can use the shield sign to give yourself light.Set corpses on fire with igni works ok too.

I was looking through The Last Wish for something earlier, and i came across the part in A Grain of Truth where Geralt asks Nivellen what he used to look like. Nivellen tells him to look across the room at a painting of him before he had the spell cast on him, and Geralt can see it. At this point, Nivellen asks Geralt who or what he is since a human would have had to stand up and go closer to see the painting with the candle light in the room.Another example that they can see better in the dark than humans :)

MR said:
Didn't need cat after a few playthroughs, only dungeons that were really dark was in Act5 and you can use the shield sign to give yourself light.Set corpses on fire with igni works ok too.
Damn straight! I got sick of using cat potions a while ago, and only use them in the more dangerous crypts etc.

Chuckles said:
And having Geralt see in the dark (without potions) from Day 1 would ruin the effect of dark places. They are meant to be dark, foreboding and dangerous places. If you can see well in them, they don't seem so bad - do they?
Very wise words :)Maybe he has nocturnal vision to a certain degree as Xellotath mentions (I remember that part of the story as well ;) ) which is not complete darkness. I never use a torch or Cat potion when Geralt explores locations at night. Maybe this is already an ability of night vision whereas other normal poeple would see nothing in the night's darkness.

Chuckles said:
Geralt auto-shealths once you skin a monster (or after a certain amount of time)
You know that is the single most annoying thing in the game which i wished they would fix ;DI'm sure you all do what i do while playing and that is have your sword out wherever possible because running in Fast or Group style is much faster than running with sword sheathed (i go for Group myself)

its an easy question to answer he does, it says he has cat like cision and he does. cats ee int he perfect darkness at all really jsut like a human but if theres even a small amount of light they can see it for some reason idk cuz im not cat person. anyways when u enter a dark dark cave you cant see shit really only a bit ahead of you and theres nromally a blueish tint in front of you making it a little easier to see. so yeah hes got good eyes jsut not jebus eyes.

Yeah there is another bit in The Last Wish, in the story A Lesser Evil, where Renfri breaks into his room to wait for him. He senses someone in the room and jumps on them, then after some innuendo Shrike asks him to light a candle because "I can't see in the dark, unlike you" :peace:

Top Bottom