Will the MODKit eventually become an "editor" like REDKit?

+
unfortunately, there isnt much we can do for lighting/gfx/weather with this, but i think some peoples will be able to create some interesting textures edit/gameplay, so its already that ... but a huge amount of other peoples waited for this to fix the flat lightning and make the game shine a bit more , but its still impossible atm

i think that they will release Redkit down line , it would be stupid to not do it, since we know its the last Witcher game

personally i have no interest in Fallout 4 at all, maybe play it, but not modding

I'm not quite sure what to make of the tweet of Marcin Momot.

There wasn't any official announcement of Redkit 2, but they talked about it repeatedly. So if you'd want to cancel that, you'd have to communicate that clearly. Of course the wording is "at the moment", so probably getting out Modkit now and leaving open wether there's gonna be anything else is an attempt to scale down the expectations. Which doesn't seem to work really, as you can see here on the forum that a lot of people are confused.

As there were fully-fledged (if buggy) editors for Witcher 1 (Djinni) and Witcher 2 (Redkit 1) not releasing one this time would actually be some king of "downgrade" (the evil d-word) (By the way, have you noticed that noticed that modding sections here on the forum for Witcher 1 & 2 are called "Mods & Adventure, while this subforum for Witcher 3 is called "Mod Discussions" though that could change of course). Actually there were more story mods/quest mods for Witcher 1 than for Witcher 2 (some even bundled with the Enhanced Edition), even though Redkit was basically more powerful than Djinni.

What gives me hope that there could be some kind of edtior in the future is this Q&A from Gamespot about Modkit (it sounds like an official "press annoucement" in Q&A form, though it isn't mentioned who they actually spoke to (the "A part" of the Q&A is just by "CD Projekt Red")). There it says:

"What are the next steps when it comes to modding? Any future plans you can divulge about mods?"

Well, the ball’s now on the community's court. Let’s see what gets created and what we’ll be surprised with, and we’ll adapt and move on from there.

So it probably isn't decided yet, how far the modding tools could be expanded.

unfortunately, there isnt much we can do for lighting/gfx/weather with this, but i think some peoples will be able to create some interesting textures edit/gameplay, so its already that ... but a huge amount of other peoples waited for this to fix the flat lightning and make the game shine a bit more , but its still impossible atm

i think that they will release Redkit down line , it would be stupid to not do it, since we know its the last Witcher game

personally i have no interest in Fallout 4 at all, maybe play it, but not modding
that much is true. i still want to know if we can truly make a difference in terms of gfx,lightning and so on, in the game. for all we know, that may be not available, considering that CDPR used multiple 3rd party softwares.
i shudder at the mere though of us being with the graphical settings we have now v_v

---------- Updated at 11:11 AM ----------

"What are the next steps when it comes to modding? Any future plans you can divulge about mods?"

Well, the ball’s now on the community's court. Let’s see what gets created and what we’ll be surprised with, and we’ll adapt and move on from there.

So it probably isn't decided yet, how far the modding tools could be expanded.

well i hope what he means by that, is that the modkit is a module of the actual REDkit 2, and they want to make a sort of beta test, and get the feedback of the users.
if there won't be a REDkit 2, that'll be indeed the downgrade of the century XDD

We need a REDkit or the game will die

I find it so sad that the modding community probably wont get access to a full set of REDkit modding tools, The witcher 3 really had something going for its future with DLC input regularly and with the future 2 Full DLC. But you have to look into the future and see that after these happen this set of modding tools simply isn't enough for fans to generate content worthy of more playing time like the major DLC will bring.

We need a creation tool as powerful as the REDkit, The witcher 2 faced a similar decline although it got a REDkit it was out of time and the community had already started to dissolve. If CDPR released a creation tool like REDkit the power would be endless, think of skyrim's modding community and how people still buy the game solely for that reason alone. if it didn't have this though it would have dies short after as will the witcher 3.

Talking about a hyperbole here...

This game cannot die as quickly as W2, the fanbase is way to big. It probably sold 6-8 million copies by now. Then there are the expansions coming.

But yes, I really hope they release a full Redkit 2.

Last edited:
Agreed. I've been saying this for over a month and it feels great to see you guys saying the same thing now.

Without a real modding tool (Modkit? Really guys? Come on - that thing's barely better than what the fans created - and at the very least, if you're going to go through this whole Nexus thing and have a "walkthrough" please at least properly explain your mesh and texture structure, and provide a detailed tutorial on how to do both, other than "export, import" - not everyone is a mesh/texture expert and I'm betting there are many fans and potential modders completely confused by it all) the fan base will fall off and die. Modkit's already gotten an overwhelmingly negative response, most of it being: it's not enough. Give us what you promised us in the beginning: A user-friendly new version of Redkit - and release it before it's too late. I would love nothing more than to see the TW3 modding scene explode, but the way things are going it just doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I've been a die-hard fan since day 1 and I'm already considering leaving TW3 behind and just waiting for Fallout 4.

Mods make games live!

If they released it alongside or just after one of the DLC's it would be incredible. I understandthat a REDkit isnt something they can make instantly and without manpower but I feel like this would boost sales incredibly and with the nexus mod manager link now in place the possibilities are endless.

I wouldnt even mind if it was an expansion that only season pass holders get or something, to let those users access these mods. ( I know paid mod systems in general are annoying but if thats what it takes id agree)

I think the problem is that Modkit just isn't user friendly. It assumes a level of skill or knowledge and uses jargon that seems more appropriate to in-house meetings. The instructions are so basic and confusing to me that I have to wait for programmers and expert modders to put vids out in the hope I can do that. On top of it all, I don't even know if the tools are Windows 10 ready or not. I've tried running the tools as instructed, but I keep getting errors and crashes and don't know if it's because I missed a step or the tools aren't optimized. So Redkit--a must. Modkit--CDPR needs to invest more in clarifying and streamlining the instructions and code.

I'll just leave this here, quoting V_Apollo from the Witcher Reddit page:

"From last month. Konrad Tomaszkiewicz said they have to fix the engine and debug the editor before releasing it. Its easy to raise pitchforks. Its hard to try and see the oppositions point of view (coincidentally that's where logic and reasoning comes from...understanding both sides).

Modkit is likely their bandaid to rush out basic mod support. Between things like stash, NG+ taking so long, and 2 expansions in the works, Redkit is likely just kind of in development limbo...and people are being shifted to Cyberpunk 2077 on top of everything.

The team obviously supports modding and would love to see a Redkit out, but right now they have a lot of things on their plate.

Also Marcin Momot isn't the word of God. Stash and NG+ "Weren't in the plans at the moment" either. He just says what marketing/upper management ALLOW him to say. If management or marketing say "we don't want to reveal X feature yet", he isn't allowed to say that feature is happening. Also English isn't CDPR's first language. There also isn't any way to word anything on the internet that won't get ripped apart, and there are ALWAYS haters so w/e.

Honestly a lot of shit that has been happening is just growing pains, CDPR has gone from a small indie studio to a mainstream AAA studio making Game of the Year quality RPGs. Studio is ambitious, they've grown and suddenly have a lot of support and revenue and they take on more than they can chew.

People need to chill the fuck out. Creation Kit was fucking broken for MONTHS after it launched, Bethesda had no idea how to fix the Navmesh issue for a long ass time, and Bethesda had far more experience building open world games and supporting modders.

Its one thing to say they support modders, its another to make a fully functional editor that works, and doesn't break etc for one of the best, largest most ambitious open world RPGs ever made when you've NEVER done it before.

They've always listened to the community, they've been working non stop to improve Witcher 3 post launch, they are committed to it for 2 years. Anything can happen, especially once the dust settles from NG+ and the expansion being done.

People still mod for Morrowind (MGO got released like a year ago), Oblivion, and both Fallout 3/NV despite Skyrim. Fallout 4 was always going to crush Witcher 3 in modding. Even if Redkit came out tomorrow, it wouldn't stop anyone wanting to mod FO4 from moving on anyway."

People still mod for Morrowind (MGO got released like a year ago), Oblivion, and both Fallout 3/NV despite Skyrim. Fallout 4 was always going to crush Witcher 3 in modding. Even if Redkit came out tomorrow, it wouldn't stop anyone wanting to mod FO4 from moving on anyway."
This.
People need to chill the fuck out.
And this.

* DEV READ PLEASE * Where's the level editor?

Just wanted to say...I am extremely disappointed in the currently released Modkit. It is not at all what the community was led to believe would be released for TW3.

I for one, preordered this game with the intention of heavy modding and designing my own worlds and quests. I'm sure that others on this site will agree with me when I say this, TW3 is an excellent game. It is not without flaws, but CDPR has been working diligently to fix the issues that the game has had. They have also made millions on this game. THEIR game.

This game is an investment on CDPR's time and the employee's individual careers. Unfortunately, I could well imagine that they may be of the opinion that they don't want people screwing too heavily with their work of art, after all, this game is currently their livelyhood. I bet that they have ideas for new expansions that will sell more copies of this game in the future as well. CDPR might not want their fans and customers competing by offering new stuff for free and possibly even making new levels that conflict with CDPR's ideas for new expansions.

However, I would like to say that I purchased the Skyrim legendary edition on steam about a year ago after watching the ENB Realvision video. I was at that time, introduced to a game that i found that I loved to play, and loved to mod. Previously, I had no idea that the mod scene was so big for that game. It also inspired me to purchase and subscribe to Elder Scrolls Online, where I logged almost 900 hours. All because I saw a video of a mod for Skyrim.

Please, do not ignore the possibility that a proper level editing and modding tool will actually help you sell more copies of this game. And I certainly understand if you delay the release of these tools because you don't want the fans competing with your future endeavors with this game.

I suggest that it would be prudent to give the fans a proper answer about the lack of the promised level editor, or REDkit2, whatever it would be called.
I'm sure that your most competent future modders will understand if you would just come out and say the reason, instead of just giving us a flat out answer that Modkit is all that you have planned for us when that is not what was mentioned prior to the release of TW3.

Thank you for your time.

This has to be the best statement I've in a while. Well put. However, the problem is that CDPR are liars. They will say one thing and do another. They did it with the graphics, now they did it with the REDKIT. And it hurts. The problem is, by the time Fallout 4 with their actual modding tool CreationKit comes out on release, Witcher 3 modding scene will be collecting dust.

Hey Red I just want to express my disapointment that you guys don't seam to want to have a skyrim level modding community . I find it really hard to understand ?? skyrim sold many copys after the fact just for the mods alone .I'm wondering if there will be better mod tools after you realease the expantions or if you just want the community die??

Last edited:
The really sad thing is not even the lack of the REDkit itself but CDPR's piss poor communication. Why the hell are they so secretive about everything? Why not just being transparent and "human" for one time, explaining the situation to the community and not by some low-tier spokesman on twitter in a 120 letter message but by some high-tier developer here on the forum.

Is it really THAT hard for CDPR to communite DIRECLTY with their community about important matters? Why? I don't get it. It just makes no sense at all and it's ultimately a shame.

If I were CDPR's boss I would require the devs to interact with the fans on the forums at least once a week on an important or "hot" matter. Just to show that you really care, directly, honstly and upfront. No PR spokesman between. But I guess that will never happen here. The devs themselves (or the bosses at least) obviously don't give a shit about a proper and deep communication and interaction with their fanbase. And when they do anything they often sell it as they listened to the community while they almost NEVER interacted with this community in the first place. But it's sink or swim, nothing else.

I think the problem is that Modkit just isn't user friendly. It assumes a level of skill or knowledge and uses jargon that seems more appropriate to in-house meetings. The instructions are so basic and confusing to me that I have to wait for programmers and expert modders to put vids out in the hope I can do that. On top of it all, I don't even know if the tools are Windows 10 ready or not. I've tried running the tools as instructed, but I keep getting errors and crashes and don't know if it's because I missed a step or the tools aren't optimized. So Redkit--a must. Modkit--CDPR needs to invest more in clarifying and streamlining the instructions and code.

Not sure, I found the instructions to be adequate, and the script error was resolved almost right away.
My basic mod is functioning as expected *basic, shitty and not really working yet*, but that is because I haven't actually implemented the planned items, not because the tools are obtuse.

Documentation (e.g. how to get .xmls into the 'cooked' mod, ready for packing and metadata building ~ simply add raw them to the "cooked" folder) is weaker than might be ideal, but it took only a single failed attempt to figure out what to do. Textures seem to be adequately documented, but there may be weaknesses in some of the more advanced elements of 3d modelling and animation rigging. I'm currently trawling through some of the scripts in search of useful stuff for tweaking.

It is a lot easier to "break things" in a superficial mod, which can be revoked just by deletion, rather than by hacking the content0 bundles. This, and the ability to modify scripts make the mod tool a *huge* advance over quickbms and equivalent 'early days' tools.

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/632182348260470784

Not any time soon I don`t think. If even that is.

I've been rather supportive of CDPR after all the hate about "parity" as I found graphics fapping felt silly, but this is where I draw the line. This is stab in the back to users that made things like Full Combat Rebalance, who ironically was employed by CDPR.

I will not be buying Cyberpunk 2077 and the expansion packs, I'm so done.

EDIT: for the record, CDPR lied.

"Yes, yes, yes we will. There will be an editor," Iwinski said. "For Witcher 2 we release it quite late. For Witcher 3 it will be faster."

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/witche...ekt-red-ceo-because-company-run-gamers-427250

Last edited:
I
EDIT: for the record, CDPR lied.

They pretty much lied all the way down during the WHOLE TW3 development, i totaly regret trusted them blindly and didnt checked anything about that game till the game release ( i preordered it, like 3-4month before the release )
Still barely played that game ( i'am still in the very first aera ) because the game as game is very clunky ( but yes the quest wrtting and stuff is cool... ) their "16 free dlc" are poor.
They now have lied about modding tool too.

That's WHOA ! amazing.

CDPR is dead to me, now i going to avoid their game like the plague like i do with ubisoft games.

But GG for your "success" absolutely not well earned.. but gg..

They pretty much lied all the way down during the WHOLE TW3 development, i totaly regret trusted them blindly and didnt checked anything about that game till the game release ( i preordered it, like 3-4month before the release )
Still barely played that game ( i'am still in the very first aera ) because the game as game is very clunky ( but yes the quest wrtting and stuff is cool... ) their "16 free dlc" are poor.
They now have lied about modding tool too.

That's WHOA ! amazing.

CDPR is dead to me, now i going to avoid their game like the plague like i do with ubisoft games.

But GG for your "success" absolutely not well earned.. but gg..

The biggest sign was them firing all the staff that have developed The Witcher 1 and 2, this new version of CPDR has been hell bent on reeling in console players and the casual gamer. I don't care about graphics, because they don't make a game good. Lying however about mod tools just because they don't want to be unfair, is unethical.

I thought CD Projekt RED was above that, that they wouldn't lie like most AAA developers. I thought they might actually be different since their push for a DRM platform, I was wrong. They aren't any different. There are no heroes.

Top Bottom