Will the MODKit eventually become an "editor" like REDKit?

+
Here's the problem though. Even though the game has incredible modding potential, if the REDKIT comes out say....a year later, the modding community might move on to other things and not be as interested modding Witcher 3 then as they are right now. Heck even Fallout 4 is coming out with it's own CreationKit that will steal the glory of the Witcher 3's mod scene. Sure some people will still be modding Witcher 3 then but all the big shots will be busy modding Fallout 4.

But that's not how modding works.
On the one hand we have modders who want to make just minor adjustments or modifications to the game - like changing something in the UI, bring in some new armor/weapons, swap some textures or models etc. Those can be made with the tools at hand, so that's not a problem. Those are the modders who just want to mod the game which they are currently playing. Those guys could(!) be affected from the Fallout 4 release - but we don't have to worry about that, because we actually have the tools to do this kind of stuff pretty easily.

On the other hand, though, there are the modders/modding groups that have somewhat "bigger plans". Those are the guys who want to add complete storylines to a game, or even do total conversions, like Enderal or Skywind for Skyrim or the things that Steiners Modding Group did with SW: EAW.
Those are the people who want to do something like adding Vizima to TW3, or port Witcher 1 to the new engine or make a TC... and those won't be affected from the release of another game. Most of these people have to rely heavily on the art assets that are already in the game and the gameplay it has; they don't have the manpower (and or talent, tbh) to do this kind of stuff all on their own. That's why you make mods in the first place and don't get yourself the UE4 and make a complete game from scratch.
There's a huge difference between TW3 and Fallout4, in terms of art assets as well as in terms of gameplay. You can't just take any game and make any mod for it - it just doesn't work like this. People who have crazy and good ideas for TW3 right now won't just switch to Fallout when it hits the market, because their ideas might not be suitable for the limitations that the game confronts them with. They will wait and hope for a new RedKit - as do I.

Even if they don't release Redkit2 which is starting to look why, I hope they at least say something on why they went back on their previous promise. It would be worse to just continuously give Valve style silent treatment, I think everyone would understand if they were just frank with us for just once.

Even if they don't release Redkit2 which is starting to look why, I hope they at least say something on why they went back on their previous promise. It would be worse to just continuously give Valve style silent treatment, I think everyone would understand if they were just frank with us for just once.

CDPR has been silent on a lot of stuff because as a AAA dev they can't make off the cuff remarks anymore. And I'm guessing we didn't get REDkit 2 because they're busy with the expansions and CP 2077. we have remember they are barely over 200 people.

CDPR has been silent on a lot of stuff because as a AAA dev they can't make off the cuff remarks anymore. And I'm guessing we didn't get REDkit 2 because they're busy with the expansions and CP 2077. we have remember they are barely over 200 people.

So in other words, they're too big, famous and rich now to give a crap about the community. Understand this. Skyrim became so popular, talked about and still being played today is because of their CreationKit and people's ability to freely create whatever mod they wish to create. (And also because it's a great freaking game) but anyway. The point is, if CDPR decides to put out the REDKIT like they said they would, people will be able to mod the game freely and create amazing contents like Skyrim. When other people sees, they would want to do the same and that would create a buzz for the game like Skyrim and it'll boost sales years down the line cause the game will be relevant and people will buy the game simply cause of the awsm mods they can create and play with (Like Skyrim). Here's a little stat to put matters in perspective. Skyrim, a game that came out in November is still the number 1 amongst the "Top Now Playing". And its mostly because of the modding community that still makes the game relevant.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-08-22 12.02.27.png
    Screenshot 2015-08-22 12.02.27.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
if CDPR decides to put out the REDKIT like they said they would, people will be able to mod the game freely and create amazing contents like Skyrim. When other people sees, they would want to do the same and that would create a buzz for the game like Skyrim and it'll boost sales years down the line cause the game will be relevant and people will buy the game simply cause of the awsm mods they can create and play with (Like Skyrim).

I am totally agree with you here, i can't understand CDPR behavior here and i hope that at the end the actions will be similar to what happened with NG+ they constantly said that there are no plans to do so and few weeks later it was out.
I think that their silence is harming part of the modding community, the people who want to create new quests and new areas, i hope that CDPR will acknowledge the problem and say something even if it will be we are working at the expansions and we will release it after them as mentioned before. Editor will just make the game a lot more popular.

Actually, when an AAA developer doesn't want to disclose details on future projects they just will give a typical non-PR answer "I can't tell you, sorry" or something along those lines. They said it as clear as day "We have no plans at this time" looking anything beyond that is tin foil conspiracy nonsense, at the end of the day they back tracked on what they told us a month before release. Welcome to the new CDPR that is trying very hard to be like Ubisoft and EA with lies and platform parity. Don't be surprised if they back track on their no DRM promise. Do you want to know the truth, though? I'm not even angry, just sad. I guess I shouldn't have believed, believed in heroes.

Last edited:

I'm still waiting on episode 3...

Actually, when an AAA developer doesn't want to disclose details on future projects they just will give a typical non-PR answer "I can't tell you, sorry" or something along those lines.

What does AAA have to do with it? I don't see why budget size should affect communication methods.

Attachments

• REDKIT4PbkTUAAAEaDL.png large.jpg
    REDKIT4PbkTUAAAEaDL.png large.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I wish their communication was more direct like "We are still working on Redkit but it won't be released anytime in the near future" which I think would calm down a lot of us.

Even if the new Redkit is cancelled (god forbid) then just come out and say so (preferably followed by a more lengthy statement as to why) cause then at least then we would know. Intsead of sitting here hoping for something that is never coming out.

I wish their communication was more direct like "We are still working on Redkit but it won't be released anytime in the near future" which I think would calm down a lot of us.

Even if the new Redkit is cancelled (god forbid) then just come out and say so (preferably followed by a more lengthy statement as to why) cause then at least then we would know. Intsead of sitting here hoping for something that is never coming out.

THIS.

Seriously?
Things change you know?
Did they ever say: "WE PROMISE TO RELEASE A REDKIT2 FOR WITHCER 3 , 3 MONTHS AFTER THE GAME HAS LAUNCHED" ?
No? Then they didn't lie.

We have a CDPR dev saying it in his/her own words, plus we also have this quote:

"Yes, yes, yes we will. There will be an editor," Iwinski said. "For Witcher 2 we release it quite late. For Witcher 3 it will be faster."

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/witche...ekt-red-ceo-because-company-run-gamers-427250

Call it what you will, but that screams about face to me. Very disappointing.

Fo only I find it obvious that they will release the editot after the expansions? Do you seriously think that they would bother to release a tool only able to rebalance combat and retexture?

my money is on a release before the end of the year, somewhere around november-december. that'd be the perfect christmas present :p
-fingers crossed-
I heard a rumour from a guy that knows a guy (tldr: might not be reliable) that redkit is in no state to be released this year, and that it's planned for Q1 2016. Either way, we'll get it when we get it (if at all).

I'm not gonna be playing fallout anyway, I'm not one for futuristic/steampunk or whatever. And I think the same goes for a lot of Witcher fans, it's a completely different genre. Most of the current Witcher modders have either no modding background or Skyrim modding background, but I feel like there's a lot of hate against the Witcher series in the 'hardcore' Fallout circles. So I don't think Fallout 4 will have that big of an impact on this modding community.

I heard a rumour from a guy that knows a guy (tldr: might not be reliable) that redkit is in no state to be released this year, and that it's planned for Q1 2016.

Well, even if that is rather vague, it is a silver lining that it might come at a later time :)

Top Bottom