Witcher 3 DLC

+
Gilrond said:
Why are add-ons called DLCs?

For the same reason they are called expansions.
Buisness lingo. They always come up with new, innovative sounding terms to sell old ideas.

If you buy a "sanitary impurification-reversing device", you might be the proud owner of a toilet brush, for example.

In this case there is simply no point to reinvent the wheel. DownLoadable Content doesn't even describe expansion / add-on idea correctly, and it sounds simply weird, so I'm puzzled why non business people use this term.

Steelydan said:
So true.
How I miss the good old times when there were no DLCs. Here, the game isnt even published but people demand and dream od DLCs. I quess people just want to get scammed. Of course they want a "good" DLC, haha, but you know what - I want complete, rich and beautiful game, and then let the developer move to another great game.
Paid expansions have been part of games even back in the good old days. The difference was that an expansion was like a new, but typically shorter game. It wasn't added content to the main game. It was a new story and could take place before, during, or after the main game took place with the same or even different characters.

Today, you get DLCs where they add an hour or two of content to the main game and charge $10 for it. Stuff like this should be free because it's something that they're adding to augment the main game that clearly wasn't perfect to begin with.

modern dlcs are basically content they purposefully removed or encrypted before retail for the sole purpose of adding back in or unlocking from the main files for a ridiculous fee.

the difference between that and traditional expansions and addons should be obvious.

terrible practice that spreads like wildfire.

100 hours running around as Geralt is enough..

I would rather play as someone else then him, tell a story of some side character instead. 1-2 DLC's each 2 hours long would be more then enough before Enhanced Edition. I wouldn't mind paying if its worth the money. Even tho they claimed it will be for free on PC.. I don't think it will be the case on consoles.

If OP is worried about not having enough content, REDKIT will probably be also available.

Some people are stupid saying that DLC are just a scam and then should release just the complete game.

The Witcher 3 is the last part of the adventure of Geralt of Rivia, and make "DLC" post-game will only increase the duration of the game, since this game will be so big, a true AAA and no some copy-pasta-shooter, i think that CDred should making good DLC by money, because a Free DLC mean just less importance for the company for do those DLC, this game will deserve every coin from me

GeraltandCiri said:
The Witcher 3 is the last part of the adventure of Geralt of Rivia, and make "DLC" post-game will only increase the duration of the game, since this game will be so big, a true AAA and no some copy-pasta-shooter, i think that CDred should making good DLC by money, because a Free DLC mean just less importance for the company for do those DLC, this game will deserve every coin from me
They will get some money from consoles. Wonder how much will one DLC cost on XBL not sure about Sony policies and if they allow or not free content.

GeraltandCiri said:
Some people are stupid saying that DLC are just a scam and then should release just the complete game.

One thing is DLC another is expansion. People is asking for the second option. Most of the modern game publishers and devs often tend to exchange one term for another, but they're different in fact.
EA DLCs policy is immoral, especially if on day one. DLCs may costs the entire prize of the full game after 1-2 years from the releasing, about 10-19 $ which is ridiculous since they're short and mostly contain not important items or characters.

No one is saying that we want to shorten CDP life. Just, if they want money from customers, better point on quality, quantity and consistency.

The problem with DLC is not the concept, but how it's implemented and what it implies. I agree with Gilrond: DownLoadable Content is as broad and ambiguous as it can be, which means that in practice anything passes as DLC. Characters, missions, weapons, even cosmetic crap like costumes and accessories! Most of these are non essential, and should have been part of the game from the beginning. The worst part is people pay real money for this garbage, and companies aren't idiots: they see a way to maximize profit by selling game content separately and they make the most of it. Take day one DLC for example, it's an insult!

Of course anything can be DLC, but most of it is garbage. As long as we keep buying horse armor and ranger modes, we keep feeding this system. Imagine if Aerondight had been a $5 DLC for TW1...

So I also dislike this acronym and believe we should call things by their name. Expansion, mission pack, module (standalone adventure), barbie doll make up kit, etc.

Of course, a big addon / expansion pack would be very nice, but since we don't even know for sure which places and events TW3 will feature, it's a bit hard for me to make any wishes about how should they look like, let the devs decide it.

However, what I'd like to have after the main game, are these (however you may call them):

Short mission packs featuring other characters. In TW2, I would have loved to play a couple of missions as Roche or Iorveth (happening before the main events) to see how they became who they are and to try some different combat styles.

Some 'fun' mission pack which could be played after or independently from the main campaign, like the Citadel DLC for ME3 or, better said, Sapkowskis short story "Something ends, something new begins" made game.

Weapons, armors and new underwear for Triss should either be in the game from begin with, be free or not be there at all.

I'd prefer if they made an expansion pack. DLC's are usually too short, too shitty and way overpriced. I hate DLCs.

That said. If they're gonna do some DLC's, they need to be completely and utterly independent from the main game. They should be additions for the player to get some extra enjoyment out of the game and not essential to the plot, like the DLC to Mass Effect 2. Very poorly handled by EA and BioWare, fucking travesty. The Tyranny of the King DLC for Assassin's Creed 3, which I recently completed and loved more than the actual game, in fact all the asscreed games combined. But the best part is that the plot didn't add or detract anything from the main game. That's a must in any potential DLC from RED.

And fuck me, I'm falling asleep here. Time for me to fuck off and sleep.

I don't mind if they keep adding content, how could I? For all we know most normal fixes, updates and even "extra" content will be free. Even the now traditional Enhanced Edition.

If they release a proper expansion pack, I'll buy it.

Just don't call anything DLC. And please everyone stop saying DLC!

DLC and expasions to W3 are well come for me in fact. I think you are forgetting that W2 had DLC's, but they were free, sometimes added with a new patch. If Red's would make some DLC's, they would be free of course,i think you are forgetting that :p. "DLC" often makes negative feeling, it's mostly understand as "some shitty weapon or new armor's color for 7$", i think Mass Effect and Dragon Age did this, make DLC look bad.
And Expansions Pack ( or bigger DLC's like Dragonborn or Dawnguard) are reeealllyy wellcome here :D even expected i could say :D.

Your "The Hunted" DLC idea sounds too much like The Witcher 2. I hate it. If I want to play TW2, I'll play TW2. I want something new, fresh, original and creative in any potential TW3 DLC that might be released.

Well, witcher 1 had some dlc planned and even released ( those two additional mini-campaigns remember?) . Witcher 2 had also plenty of DLCs like troll trouble and those two additional quests in act 3.
But in both games the downloadable content came with patches and updates (and I think we all would welcome some free combat jackets and Barbershop options or such again), not with price tags on them and CD project Red said last summer that they dont believe in "paid DLC" unless it is something of a really major expansion.
They said that in a way that hints there may indeed come something of a good old expansion pack to witcher 3.

I am thinking some seconday quests and new areas. Seeing as witcher 3 will be multi regional open world anyway methinks it would be easy and logical to simply add more regions in dlcs where Geralt can travel. For example, if CD project would make say, Brokilon DLC where you could travel to a fourth region which would consist of forest and surrounding woodcutter region. Geralt maybe could help dryads and Brokilon from humans and uncover mysteries hidden in that ancient forest. All would be completely optional but maybe it could affect the main plot like any other quests. If done with time and care I would be more than happy to pay for such an dlc so it could encourage the developers to keep adding content to the game as long as possible.

Yeah, the open world nature of TW3 makes a fully fledged expansion so much easier to implement. Add a new interesting plotline/reason to visit the area and have it filled with lots of new enemies, quests and more. The fact that many of the side quests seem like main quest in quality would also help to make it not feel like filler content.

Yeah, the open world nature of TW3 makes a fully fledged expansion so much easier to implement. Add a new interesting plotline/reason to visit the area and have it filled with lots of new enemies, quests and more. The fact that many of the side quests seem like main quest in quality would also help to make it not feel like filler content.
You put my thoughts on paper much better than I did. Thank you.

You put my thoughts on paper much better than I did. Thank you.

No problem. The only thing that I am even more curious about is if there will be any free dlc upon launch. At some point TW3 will be done and ready to be printed and shipped, that might mean a tasty day 1 snack similar to Troll Trouble.

Top Bottom